Help me out with some good books?

Black-Cat

Hey, all. I'm really trying to find some good, resourceful books to check out. I'm not really looking for spell books or recipes at this time, but I would like some book recommendations to further my witchy/occult studies. You may say it all depends on what I'm interested in, but I'm still a fairly new witch and I don't know "what's out there". They can be about the history of witchcraft, folk lore, anything. Can you help a girl out? :grin_witch:

"The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells" is good for recipes and inspiration :frogspells:

As to other books, I will bump the TW Authors and Book thread up for you.

"The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells" is good for recipes and inspiration :frogspells:

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for spell books, but thanks! :vhappywitch:

I very much liked Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft. It moves away from Wicca, and gives some very good recommendations as to other ways of doing rituals. There are many trads who don't care for rituals, but I am one of those people who love ritual, and try do to it on a regular basis.

I also like the LBRP, ritual (which you can find on u tube and written out on the internet). Some are not comfortable with it as it does reference archangels, but to me archangels, daemons, etc., are just other names humans have given to streams of power to try and understand them.

It also depends on what line of trad you lean towards. Some work just with nature spirits and the land. The Viridarium Umbris (sp) is EXCELLENT for working with worts and nature (worts being another name for plants), but is very pricey if you are lucky enough to find a copy for sale.

So, not being that into spell books, what do you want to develop? A relationship with Nature, with Deity, with Astral, all of the above? Again, not all trads do deity (but I enjoy working with them... It's sooo fun to be different, lol). If you're into astral, Robert Bruce has a book about astral projection that I found very good. If you lean towards the Quabala (sp) then Israel Regardie's Tree of Life is an excellent introduction to astral, gods, Quabala (sp) and ourselves. It is a Ceremonial book, but was recommended to me and one I will read several times over. I find that even if you aren't into Ceremonial Magic, it certainly gives you food for thought (always a good thing!)...

If you lean towards the Sabbatic and Elder Gods, then the Pillars of Tubal Cain is an excellent and reasonably priced book, although I had to read it several times to understand (or start to understand) it, but well worth the effort.

I was once reading a book that was just so over-my-head that I was going to stop reading it. A very wise lady told me to just look at each word, don't think about it, just read it even if it doesn't make any sense, then put the book away and forget about it for a few months. After a periiod of time, take it out again and re-read it and it will start to make sense. She was right.... it seems our brains continue to work on it, even when our consciouness isn't.

M

Edited by Michele

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for spell books, but thanks! :vhappywitch:

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought that was what you were asking for. That'll teach me to stay up until the early hours. :sickwitch:

Edited by Ancestral Celt

I very much liked Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft. It moves away from Wicca, and gives some very good recommendations as to other ways of doing rituals. There are many trads who don't care for rituals, but I am one of those people who love ritual, and try do to it on a regular basis.

I also like the LBRP, ritual (which you can find on u tube and written out on the internet). Some are not comfortable with it as it does reference archangels, but to me archangels, daemons, etc., are just other names humans have given to streams of power to try and understand them.

It also depends on what line of trad you lean towards. ...

So, not being that into spell books, what do you want to develop? A relationship with Nature, with Deity, with Astral, all of the above? Again, not all trads do deity (but I enjoy working with them... It's sooo fun to be different, lol). If you're into astral, Robert Bruce has a book about astral projection that I found very good. If you lean towards the Quabala (sp) then Israel Regardie's Tree of Life is an excellent introduction to astral, gods, Quabala (sp) and ourselves. It is a Ceremonial book, but was recommended to me and one I will read several times over. I find that even if you aren't into Ceremonial Magic, it certainly gives you food for thought (always a good thing!)...

If you lean towards the Sabbatic and Elder Gods, then the Pillars of Tubal Cain is an excellent and reasonably priced book, although I had to read it several times to understand (or start to understand) it, but well worth the effort.

M

Thanks so much for these suggestions! They help a lot! Though I do not like to except deities, and REALLY don't feel comfortable working with them as well as other religious symbols like angels, I am interested in ceremonial magic and ritual. I gave LBRP a looksie after I read you guys mentioning it, and it looks like some confusing stuff! Actually, it was even a little intimidating. But it did spark my interest and I wouldn't mind knowing more.

As far as astral projection, I don't really know. I know nothing about it, so I'm not sure if it'll peak an interest with me. I think my main focus of interest is having a relationship with nature, so yeah, I did check out Viridarium Umbris and couldn't believe how much it's going for!

Hidden

OK, so after looking around for a bit, I managed to find an e-copy of Viridarium Umbris. Not an actual PHYSICAL book, but this works out just fine anyway! :party9:

Ok Michelle due to you always talking about Tubal Cain, I ordered it today thru amazon. Got a used copy and hopefully it will be here at the end of the week!!! :happydance:

I also found 2 other books, High Magic and High Magic II by I believe it was Frain which came with 5 star reviews. Will have to see about these!!!:thumbsup:

Black Cat, as I should still have your address, I'll dig out a couple of books I enjoyed and send them to you. Just send them back when you're done!!!:clap:

Thanks so much, Morgana! You're my new best pen pal!

About the book High Magic, I did ask about that one in another thread, because I know someone who is really into LBRP and Ceremonial magic, and it was recommended. Although, that person is also a Wiccan too...Not the fluffy bunny kind of Wiccan, but still.... lol

Sent you an email, can't find your address tho I could have sworn I put it in my address book. Must be CRS!!!! Anyways, email with your address again and I'll get hubby to mail them out for me this week!

• 3 years later...

Ok everyone I'm looking for some really great books on the witchcraft history and genres. I mostly know about North American Indian tradition and want to broaden my knowledge. So I know there are several other prolific readers here and am hoping to find a few books that cover several types because you guys have peaked my interest in these areas that I'm seriously lacking in.

Ok everyone I'm looking for some really great books on the witchcraft history and genres. I mostly know about North American Indian tradition and want to broaden my knowledge. So I know there are several other prolific readers here and am hoping to find a few books that cover several types because you guys have peaked my interest in these areas that I'm seriously lacking in.

What areas are you interested in? African American hoodoo or voodoo? European trad craft? Sabbatic craft? North American practices like hoodoo, Appalachian practices, Ozark practices?

What areas are you interested in? African American hoodoo or voodoo? European trad craft? Sabbatic craft? North American practices like hoodoo, Appalachian practices, Ozark practices?

What he said. :) Give me a better idea of what you're looking for and I'll throw out some suggestions.

I'm looking for almost everything lol that's probably to broad though I know Native American really well, but I know little about voodoo/ hoodoo and almost nothing about African other than the shamanistic stuff that gets all mixed in to ours by most people. I would

Ike to know more European types beyond Druids which tie in nature wise with my own beliefs. I know lots about most nature based religions because its what I practice although they are not all the same obviously. I would really like to know more about Celtic and Norwegian witchcraft beliefs because of my husbands family history. I know that's a lot of history to cover but I have realized I'm woefully lacking in the breadth of info I have on these after reading about what some of you do. Plus I love reading so good books are always great to have.

I suggest for old history, Ecstascies: Deciphering the Witch's Sabbath. For recent history, there is Children of Cain by Mike Howard, though out of print, you maybe able to track down a used copy or borrow it from someone. For Irish Witchcraft, I like Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch, it covers some of the Celtic hisory in brief and also talks about Biddy Early a famous Irish witch. Her Hidden Children by Chas Clifton covers the history of the Witchcraft Revival in America over the last 100 years. Drawing Down the Moon is a good survey of a variety of traditions. These are mostly history books, and therefore somewhat dry, but these are ones I was able to read through, well except Children of Cain, I get to borrow that here soon, but I have read Mike's other stuff.

It also depends on what line of trad you lean towards. Some work just with nature spirits and the land. The Viridarium Umbris (sp) is EXCELLENT for working with worts and nature (worts being another name for plants), but is very pricey if you are lucky enough to find a copy for sale.

I was once reading a book that was just so over-my-head that I was going to stop reading it. A very wise lady told me to just look at each word, don't think about it, just read it even if it doesn't make any sense, then put the book away and forget about it for a few months. After a periiod of time, take it out again and re-read it and it will start to make sense. She was right.... it seems our brains continue to work on it, even when our consciouness isn't.

M

This is interesting, lol. The above are good books that I have and do enjoy; however, today I would say read folklore, including the folklore of trees and herbs, and some faireytales (Anderson, Grimm, etc.) and old nursery rhymes. Old folk sayings and stories. There's an excellent herbal by a Mrs. Grieves (can't check spelling of her name as have baby on lap, lol) that goes into the folklore and folk names of a lot of the plants. Stories and names worth pondering.

M

There's an excellent herbal by a Mrs. Grieves (can't check spelling of her name as have baby on lap, lol) that goes into the folklore and folk names of a lot of the plants. Stories and names worth pondering.

M

LOL. It's A Modern Herbal by Mrs. M. (Maud) Grieve. Originally printed in 1931, it was updated in 1972 and currently in paperback, 2 volumes. The entire thing (far as I can tell) can be found at http://www.botanical.com. Wonderful resource - mine is getting dog-eared.

LOL. It's A Modern Herbal by Mrs. M. (Maud) Grieve. Originally printed in 1931, it was updated in 1972 and currently in paperback, 2 volumes. The entire thing (far as I can tell) can be found at http://www.botanical.com. Wonderful resource - mine is getting dog-eared.

Thank you! lol - I got a very cheap hardcover of it off Amazon. For me, I just love that it includes the folklore of the plant/tree, which tells so much about old beliefs the folk.

As to other books, I will bump the TW Authors and Book thread up for you.

I didn't rate this much to be honest. I bought it and had a flick through but it seemed to me to pull from too many sources, there was no cohesive system of magic running through it and one or two of the spells border on the ridiculous. I suppose out of 5000 spells, some of them must be worth reading but I'm not sure if I can be bothered to sift through all the padding to find them.

This is interesting, lol. The above are good books that I have and do enjoy; however, today I would say read folklore, including the folklore of trees and herbs, and some faireytales (Anderson, Grimm, etc.) and old nursery rhymes. Old folk sayings and stories. There's an excellent herbal by a Mrs. Grieves (can't check spelling of her name as have baby on lap, lol) that goes into the folklore and folk names of a lot of the plants. Stories and names worth pondering.

M

I lived on those fairy tales as a child I love Grimm and Anderson and for Yuletide I got a leather bound fairy tales Grimm collection.

I lived on those fairy tales as a child I love Grimm and Anderson and for Yuletide I got a leather bound fairy tales Grimm collection.

Oh lucky you!!! I troll Amazon for the old, discarded, cheap, un-Disney-adulterated, folklore-fairytale books. Most are a dollar or less plus shipping.

M