67 replies to this topic

#61 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

I have been told, which I found to be extremely interesting, that the "silver cord" one hears about is actually a cord of memory. And when the cord is broken (as in death) the spirit then leaves the manifested life it "remembered" and remains cognizant (to an extent) long enough to follow the signs to where it is going (that place differing in different belief systems). And if one does not allow the cord to completely break in death, then one can become stuck to the attachment of their personal memories, rather than going on to become part of the ancestral memories. And that ancestral memories shape what we are in manifestation, so we actually are a living manifestation of the ancestral memories. It is a fascinating concept, and one I am still working with getting my head around.

If someone dies but does not let go of their attachment, then they can become a "ghost" stuck in repitition - no new memories, so stuck in the last moments or attachments of death indefinitely. So when someone dies, and they are talked about, "remembered", they are added to the store of memory... become part of memory. One reason to remember them and tell tales of them at certain parts of the year (or whenever needed). They are "eternal" becuase they are remembered in the memory of generations and future generations.

I do not work with specific dead, only with ancestral memory. And in my way - especially in a recent death - the dead must be allowed to leave, lest they become stuck. And until their cognizance fully dissolves, the anguish of the living or even constant calling up can hinder that process. So one grieves, and gets it out, then lets the dead go. So working with various spirits of graveyards, etc., can actually be harmful to that spirit. If they're still there, then they haven't moved on, haven't let go, and constantly working with them would only reinforce their attachment to the living and keep them from ever moving on. Even if the spirit agrees to "work with" the witch, it is not necessarily in the best interest of the spirit to do so. And often hauntings can start in this way... not maliscious necessarily, but just a spirit who can't let go, has had contact with the witch, been drawn back to the living, and is now even more stuck. So I don't, in my way, work with specific dead.

M

#62 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

I've always believed that ancestral memory is in your DNA. Perhaps that is what is being accessed in past life regression (instead of a 'real' past life). I don't believe in re-incarnation. It would seem to fit, given that skills and traits seemed to be passed through the DNA.

#63 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

Bump

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#64 citoyenne

citoyenne

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:19 AM

Reviving this thread.

Searching the forums this is the closest thing I could find to a recent experience that I've had. Particularly because of what Ayrmids Runes said of our perception of time and how it may effect our relationships with ancestors. Or Rainy's position on the possibility that their spirit guide may see them as the spirit guide. Or really the overarching concept of just a big ol collective memory that exists outside of time.

I recently had contact with the spirit of a descendant of my sister, far and away yet to come; I was the ancestor, I feel like I gave the most nonsensical advice but it seemed like just the thing he needed to hear to jump off into the pursuit of his path. The nature of my advice being of broken dogsleds and raccoons, also really makes me think about how we are often given information from ancestors/spirits in a way that we understand and is meaningful to us, if there isn't some translation from what they are saying to what we are hearing and to that end what they might be saying in the first place... I guess the overall intention of the advice vs the actual content in context of personal experiences. I can't say there would ever be a way to know.

This is a completely new experience to me. I have plenty of experience with my ancestors but none heading out in the other direction. I didn't go looking for this sort of contact, it just happened spontaneously or perhaps I was sent by my own ancestors, I'm boggled. Has anyone else experienced this?

In an only slightly related point, on the first page or two of the thread Michele mentioned feeling her ancestor's collective restlessness after Yule and heading into the leanest months. I can relate but it for me is in autumn when I need to roam far and wide to put in for winter, I get that restlessness too and it's nice to be able to put a finger on it. I'd never really thought of it before.

#65 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

Interesting.

I actually remember a very old post by Michele where she describes a very similar experience. I looked but couldn't find it.

I will link it if I stumble upon it, or perhaps she remembers.

This is very much in line with the way I think about spirits and the 'other' realms, that time is not linear for them as it appears to be for us.

The way you put it makes me wonder about some of my 'travels', perhaps I was guiding or teaching future descendants.

Edited by Solanaceae, 04 November 2017 - 01:58 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#66 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

There is a reason blood is sacred. Not just that loosing it means death. Thanks for keeping this one bumped. 

#67 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

I have been told, which I found to be extremely interesting, that the "silver cord" one hears about is actually a cord of memory. And when the cord is broken (as in death) the spirit then leaves the manifested life it "remembered" and remains cognizant (to an extent) long enough to follow the signs to where it is going (that place differing in different belief systems). And if one does not allow the cord to completely break in death, then one can become stuck to the attachment of their personal memories, rather than going on to become part of the ancestral memories. And that ancestral memories shape what we are in manifestation, so we actually are a living manifestation of the ancestral memories. It is a fascinating concept, and one I am still working with getting my head around.

If someone dies but does not let go of their attachment, then they can become a "ghost" stuck in repitition - no new memories, so stuck in the last moments or attachments of death indefinitely. So when someone dies, and they are talked about, "remembered", they are added to the store of memory... become part of memory. One reason to remember them and tell tales of them at certain parts of the year (or whenever needed). They are "eternal" becuase they are remembered in the memory of generations and future generations.

I do not work with specific dead, only with ancestral memory. And in my way - especially in a recent death - the dead must be allowed to leave, lest they become stuck. And until their cognizance fully dissolves, the anguish of the living or even constant calling up can hinder that process. So one grieves, and gets it out, then lets the dead go. So working with various spirits of graveyards, etc., can actually be harmful to that spirit. If they're still there, then they haven't moved on, haven't let go, and constantly working with them would only reinforce their attachment to the living and keep them from ever moving on. Even if the spirit agrees to "work with" the witch, it is not necessarily in the best interest of the spirit to do so. And often hauntings can start in this way... not maliscious necessarily, but just a spirit who can't let go, has had contact with the witch, been drawn back to the living, and is now even more stuck. So I don't, in my way, work with specific dead.

M

That makes so much sense to me,  Michelle . As I am recently widowed, have been trying not to yield to the temptation of "talking" to my husband; for that very reason.

I want to leave him in peace and not continually draw him back to us. 

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#68 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Belwenda, sorry to hear you're recently widowed, it's so tough to lose a loved one. Hope you've got support around you and keeping you in my thoughts.

I'm still working out the communicating to them keeping them here, in some ways it has been my experience, but in others it has not. It has always been a habit of mine to talk to my maternal grandfather, he died before I was born but there are many things similar about us. We are not blood relatives as I am adopted.. I have felt his presence around but never felt him to be 'stuck' or hanging around - but this may be the time between my growing to talk to him (young child) and his death. I also talked a lot to my Gran when she died and I was about 8 years old, I had been close to her and was distraught. I did not feel her to be stuck either. However, I have felt with others the need to let them be and fear coming from them about moving on. In adulthood, I have not often felt the need to talk to someone who has recently left, I definitely felt a strong urge to say a few words and then close the door when a friend died from suicide. I wanted him to know he was loved and I hoped he could now find peace and begin a new passage not so full of hurt, but I wanted desperately for him to move to that new passage so after that, I said no more. I wonder if adult/child makes any difference? I do not think I would call up the recent dead unless for some reason that I can't imagine, it was necessary. So I suppose, for me, it has been about the individual more and my own gut feelings. I do light candles and talk about my relatives to my son (3y), for example my Grandpa (who I knew, again not blood but adoption) felt very ready to leave, he had his first wife (died early) whom he loved deeply and I felt he was ready to be met by her in some form. I did not feel lighting a candle or talking about his memories kept him here because I felt an awareness of his moving on a few days after his death. Though, if doing something like Graveyard work, it would not usually be with the recent dead. Hope that makes sense, sorry for being garbled this morning.

I definitely believe memories are carried down through the ancestral line, including as gifts (music etc) and pain. I actually think this can be part of adoption trauma, where we have these memories we feel less able to access or come into line with. However, I do feel able to access certain things from my adoptive family's ancestral memory though this is difficult because they are not within me in the same way, mostly I call them from the outside and not up out of me. [Edited to add: I always remember that in some way we are all related and so there are parts of my adoptive family within me too, just not as recent/direct, which is why I find external aid useful for this rather than simply calling them from 'within'.] That is only my personal experience of it, though, so it may be different for others. My blood ancestral memories are strong, and I am working on ancestral healing at the moment for pain has definitely been carried down my line. I don't want to go into it too much on here, but I definitely think damage can be carried down the line. I do also think some memories seen as past life memories could be part of this ancestral memory, as Michelle said. I think we also have memories carried of moments while in the womb, almost like imprints, before the brain is biologically (as far as we know) able to make them.  I tend to think if much of our body is water, and we believe water can hold memories and energies, and we share this blood within us that is given to us from our mother who was given her's by her mother and so on, then to see memories and energies carried makes a lot of sense to me.

Aurora, have you had the same experience with the same number with others? Do you believe it is the same for everyone or different? A friend of mine felt her mother left her after she gave birth, she had been around for (I think) around 5-8 years. So perhaps sometimes they stay for a purpose and once it's fulfilled move on, while others are given a more time based limitation? I have found time interesting to think about in spirit terms as some seem to repeat actions at certain times (for example, always appearing on a birthday, or every lunchtime banging the cupboards) while others seem to have lost connection with it, it seems meaningless to them. It makes me wonder if that is about being in different stages after dying.

Holdasown, I love the way you put that.

Edited by BlackbirdSong, 28 June 2018 - 10:47 AM.