66 replies to this topic

#61 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

I have been told, which I found to be extremely interesting, that the "silver cord" one hears about is actually a cord of memory. And when the cord is broken (as in death) the spirit then leaves the manifested life it "remembered" and remains cognizant (to an extent) long enough to follow the signs to where it is going (that place differing in different belief systems). And if one does not allow the cord to completely break in death, then one can become stuck to the attachment of their personal memories, rather than going on to become part of the ancestral memories. And that ancestral memories shape what we are in manifestation, so we actually are a living manifestation of the ancestral memories. It is a fascinating concept, and one I am still working with getting my head around.

If someone dies but does not let go of their attachment, then they can become a "ghost" stuck in repitition - no new memories, so stuck in the last moments or attachments of death indefinitely. So when someone dies, and they are talked about, "remembered", they are added to the store of memory... become part of memory. One reason to remember them and tell tales of them at certain parts of the year (or whenever needed). They are "eternal" becuase they are remembered in the memory of generations and future generations.

I do not work with specific dead, only with ancestral memory. And in my way - especially in a recent death - the dead must be allowed to leave, lest they become stuck. And until their cognizance fully dissolves, the anguish of the living or even constant calling up can hinder that process. So one grieves, and gets it out, then lets the dead go. So working with various spirits of graveyards, etc., can actually be harmful to that spirit. If they're still there, then they haven't moved on, haven't let go, and constantly working with them would only reinforce their attachment to the living and keep them from ever moving on. Even if the spirit agrees to "work with" the witch, it is not necessarily in the best interest of the spirit to do so. And often hauntings can start in this way... not maliscious necessarily, but just a spirit who can't let go, has had contact with the witch, been drawn back to the living, and is now even more stuck. So I don't, in my way, work with specific dead.

M

#62 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

I've always believed that ancestral memory is in your DNA. Perhaps that is what is being accessed in past life regression (instead of a 'real' past life). I don't believe in re-incarnation. It would seem to fit, given that skills and traits seemed to be passed through the DNA.

#63 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

Bump

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#64 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:19 AM

Reviving this thread.

Searching the forums this is the closest thing I could find to a recent experience that I've had. Particularly because of what Ayrmids Runes said of our perception of time and how it may effect our relationships with ancestors. Or Rainy's position on the possibility that their spirit guide may see them as the spirit guide. Or really the overarching concept of just a big ol collective memory that exists outside of time.

I recently had contact with the spirit of a descendant of my sister, far and away yet to come; I was the ancestor, I feel like I gave the most nonsensical advice but it seemed like just the thing he needed to hear to jump off into the pursuit of his path. The nature of my advice being of broken dogsleds and raccoons, also really makes me think about how we are often given information from ancestors/spirits in a way that we understand and is meaningful to us, if there isn't some translation from what they are saying to what we are hearing and to that end what they might be saying in the first place... I guess the overall intention of the advice vs the actual content in context of personal experiences. I can't say there would ever be a way to know.

This is a completely new experience to me. I have plenty of experience with my ancestors but none heading out in the other direction. I didn't go looking for this sort of contact, it just happened spontaneously or perhaps I was sent by my own ancestors, I'm boggled. Has anyone else experienced this?

In an only slightly related point, on the first page or two of the thread Michele mentioned feeling her ancestor's collective restlessness after Yule and heading into the leanest months. I can relate but it for me is in autumn when I need to roam far and wide to put in for winter, I get that restlessness too and it's nice to be able to put a finger on it. I'd never really thought of it before.

#65 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

Interesting.

I actually remember a very old post by Michele where she describes a very similar experience. I looked but couldn't find it.

I will link it if I stumble upon it, or perhaps she remembers.

This is very much in line with the way I think about spirits and the 'other' realms, that time is not linear for them as it appears to be for us.

The way you put it makes me wonder about some of my 'travels', perhaps I was guiding or teaching future descendants.

Edited by Solanaceae, 04 November 2017 - 01:58 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#66 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

There is a reason blood is sacred. Not just that loosing it means death. Thanks for keeping this one bumped. 

#67 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

I have been told, which I found to be extremely interesting, that the "silver cord" one hears about is actually a cord of memory. And when the cord is broken (as in death) the spirit then leaves the manifested life it "remembered" and remains cognizant (to an extent) long enough to follow the signs to where it is going (that place differing in different belief systems). And if one does not allow the cord to completely break in death, then one can become stuck to the attachment of their personal memories, rather than going on to become part of the ancestral memories. And that ancestral memories shape what we are in manifestation, so we actually are a living manifestation of the ancestral memories. It is a fascinating concept, and one I am still working with getting my head around.

If someone dies but does not let go of their attachment, then they can become a "ghost" stuck in repitition - no new memories, so stuck in the last moments or attachments of death indefinitely. So when someone dies, and they are talked about, "remembered", they are added to the store of memory... become part of memory. One reason to remember them and tell tales of them at certain parts of the year (or whenever needed). They are "eternal" becuase they are remembered in the memory of generations and future generations.

I do not work with specific dead, only with ancestral memory. And in my way - especially in a recent death - the dead must be allowed to leave, lest they become stuck. And until their cognizance fully dissolves, the anguish of the living or even constant calling up can hinder that process. So one grieves, and gets it out, then lets the dead go. So working with various spirits of graveyards, etc., can actually be harmful to that spirit. If they're still there, then they haven't moved on, haven't let go, and constantly working with them would only reinforce their attachment to the living and keep them from ever moving on. Even if the spirit agrees to "work with" the witch, it is not necessarily in the best interest of the spirit to do so. And often hauntings can start in this way... not maliscious necessarily, but just a spirit who can't let go, has had contact with the witch, been drawn back to the living, and is now even more stuck. So I don't, in my way, work with specific dead.

M

That makes so much sense to me,  Michelle . As I am recently widowed, have been trying not to yield to the temptation of "talking" to my husband; for that very reason.

I want to leave him in peace and not continually draw him back to us. 

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.