66 replies to this topic

#1 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:27 AM

What are your thoughts on the idea of Ancestral Memories? Do you believe that we may have ingrained consciousness of the happenings of the ancestors of our blood? A core consciousness that connects all of the clan and members of the community? I have worked with my ancestors for some time know and I am only now becoming aware of this trend. Has anyone else experienced this notion?

My mother told me once when I was a wee boy that all of our blood are connected by our memories...now I am beginning to understand what she meant. :)

#2 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:41 AM

What are your thoughts on the idea of Ancestral Memories? Do you believe that we may have ingrained consciousness of the happenings of the ancestors of our blood? A core consciousness that connects all of the clan and members of the community? I have worked with my ancestors for some time know and I am only now becoming aware of this trend. Has anyone else experienced this notion?

My mother told me once when I was a wee boy that all of our blood are connected by our memories...now I am beginning to understand what she meant. :)

Great post here Grimr!

I believe we do have ancestral memories within us actually. As far as our blood...yes on that as well...we are their (our ancestors) living legends.

Have you ever had a past life reading perhaps?

If not, then you might want to get one...it could surprise you actually.

#3 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:50 AM

yeah, I think we can carry ancestral memories. I, myself, have never had a past life reading though. I don't know anyone in this area that does that. Ah well...

#4 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

I do believe in ancestral memory as I believe in cell memory (i.e. memories being transferred from donor to recipient in the case of transplants). I believe we stand on the shoulders of our ancestors and everything they were has been passed down to us, including some instincts/memories if you will.

I also believe in a form of collective consciousness amongst clans/tribes.

#5 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

I believe strongly in ancestral memory and group consciousness. I find it a powerful and sometimes moving source. I have the upmost respect for my ancestors and was taught from very young that they were always there watching and guiding. I now understand the real meaning of it. I know they are there to guide and support when needed, and their energies can be called upon to aid me.

And the traditional spells handed down through my family really have a different feel to them. Not better or worse than any of my own creation, but just have more momentum to them. Im sure you all know what I mean.

Great thread btw Grimr

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

I do believe in ancestral memory as I believe in cell memory (i.e. memories being transferred from donor to recipient in the case of transplants). I believe we stand on the shoulders of our ancestors and everything they were has been passed down to us, including some instincts/memories if you will.

I also believe in a form of collective consciousness amongst clans/tribes.

Ditto.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses! What originally sparked my interest in this topic (apart from the words of my mom) was a very lucid dream I had of a very intricate ritual. The ritual was fascinating and is now in my black book (recorded and reconstructed as best as I could) and when I proposed the question of "What the hell did you just show me!?" to my ancestors the response I got was..."nothing that you didn't already know." They echoed my mothers notions on Ancestry. In our blood is the memories and the history of our clan.

I like what you said Ancestral Celt about us standing on the shoulders of our ancestors, for they do hold us up and help form us to what we are (both metaphorically and genetically).

As far as collective consciousness amongst Clan/Tribes goes I think there is much work to do in regards to my own understanding and experience with this...but it does bring to mind the old notion of "Passing on the power" amongst Old Craft Cuveens perhaps what was passed on was access to the clan/cuveen's Ancestral Memories and Collective consciousness. Just a theory. :) Anyways I would love to hear more. Thanks again! :D

#8 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses! What originally sparked my interest in this topic (apart from the words of my mom) was a very lucid dream I had of a very intricate ritual. The ritual was fascinating and is now in my black book (recorded and reconstructed as best as I could) and when I proposed the question of "What the hell did you just show me!?" to my ancestors the response I got was..."nothing that you didn't already know." They echoed my mothers notions on Ancestry. In our blood is the memories and the history of our clan.

I like what you said Ancestral Celt about us standing on the shoulders of our ancestors, for they do hold us up and help form us to what we are (both metaphorically and genetically).

As far as collective consciousness amongst Clan/Tribes goes I think there is much work to do in regards to my own understanding and experience with this...but it does bring to mind the old notion of "Passing on the power" amongst Old Craft Cuveens perhaps what was passed on was access to the clan/cuveen's Ancestral Memories and Collective consciousness. Just a theory. :) Anyways I would love to hear more. Thanks again! :D

I have always held very similar feelings with regards to passing on the power. At the end of the day when you are working with a family tradition or that of a Covine / Cuveen / Clan / Tribe, then the power really does lie in the collective consciousness of the ones who have gone before. They laid the path we are following and buidling upon.

#9 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

I definitely believe we could carry ancestral memories in our brain cells. There is so little we really know about our brains (given the potential of it, I mean). And what we do know about memories - is pretty darn amazing stuff.

I've not had a past life reading (I need to find a legitimate reader) but have always wondered if the memories and vision I carry are glimpses of a past life or some distant relative's memory and experience.

#10 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

I think there is something to this. Example ... physically, I look very much like my nan, (and great gran) when they were my age. But up until recently, I didnt really know much about either of their lives. They were both christian, as far as I know. But I recently found out my nan read the tarot for many years, and my great gran was involved in Seances, etc. Now I tend to be very aware of the presence of spirits, and I also read the tarot cards for people.

Every time I do either of these things, I always 'feel' like my nan, sort of as if she's there with me, or part of me. Its quite odd, and the older I get, the more this occurs. I wonder if I share memories and talents with the two of them (and perhaps even further back!) I have often wondered whether I should try and work with them at some point, actively involve them in reading the tarot.

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#11 twitch

twitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

I to believe in Ancestral memory as it has been stated here we are all standing on the shoulders of those who have come before and they take note of what we are doing if not on a daily basis at least with us in general. One of the best summations of this I have heard is from a African(Possibly a film I watched and cannot remember) who invoked his ancestors to help him with the Plea (for want of a better word) To his ancestors to come and assist in his hour of need and keep him safe for if he died then all their linage would have come to nothing as they as a collective would have become extinct. I also ask my ancestors to intercede on my behalf when needed but I hope I never have to call on them as he had to.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

This brings to mind something I read once, and the actual wording eludes me right now, but it was along the lines of the power/'knowing never goes, but it may remain hidden for generations, yet the signs are there for those with eyes to see them and ears to hear them. If we are the gods and of the gods, and our own daemons are inside of us, then perhaps "nothing you didn't already know" could just be a reference to the seed within, which once woken, leads one (whether through dreams or trance-visions) down the crooked path.... (gee I'm waxing poetical this morning, lol)

#13 BlackRaven

BlackRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

I do believe that memories can be passed down. If you think about it, just from a fraction of a piece of a hard drive you can find out tons about what it contained, and DNA is much more complex so I am sure it can hold many things (I believe memories are passed in the DNA itself personally).

As an example, when my great grandmother went to Edinburgh, she instantly knew her way around. My Nan did it in London around Buckingham Palace area. And I did it on a school trip to York.

The mind works like a parachute. Better when its open.

#14 LadyHawk

LadyHawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

You just have to look at birds or fish migrating, to see a good example of this. We are the sum of what was before, I believe anyway. My ancestry is very important to me and very much a part of who I am. I feel this very deeply and possibly more so when I am in certain places in Scotland. My mothers family were originally from the Isle of Skye (MacDonald) and I feel very at home there but equally in Lochaber and in particular Glencoe where my fathers family hailed from (also MacDonald). Of course it depends on the individual as to how they use this, if they do at all.
LadyHawk x

#15 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

I believe we have ancestral memories. I believe this due to my own experiances. It is very facinating isn't it?
Rebie

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Just read an interesting article re this:
www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usca&c=words

Hope the link works... (and how did my text suddenly get green??)

#17 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Interesting read....

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

I clicked on the link I had posted from 2009 and I can't open it... I am curious to remember what it said, lol. Anyway I have a strong belief in ancestral memory, both of blood and of "adopted" depending on who and what one works with. I find that tapping into the tribal/clan/collective ancestral memory can take many shapes and forms. Lately, in working with the memory before living memory I find that I am getting the over-all "feeling" of the people - I have been restless but whenever I go out to do something I get the feeling that I need to go back home, that the streets are not necessarily "safe." For my ancestoral mind this is a very "restless" time of year. We are past Yule and the season is turning, but won't really be in full force for a while yet. They are restless for the sun they know is coming yet it is also still a time of danger. Food stores would be extremely low, and hunting is scarce and there are many predators out there who are just as hungry from a lean winter as the hunter and the clan. More will starve, freeze, and die before the summer comes yet the anticipation of the summer is strong. Tapping into their memory has left me with the same "inner" feeling of both restlessness and hope and danger that the collective ancestral mind has this time of year. Part of it is also connected to the land waking up, the stirring of the deeper energy.

M

#19 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Several writers explore this topic, which touches on the "living river of blood" (the belief that ancestral memory flows through the generations). The most complete book I've read on the subject is The Cauldron of Memory: Retrieving Ancestral Memory. It deals with the idea that the ancestors dwell within us, within the cellular memory kept by what we inherit through our DNA. One of the interesting things that came up in the book is the account of an anthropologist (Jeremy Narby) who spent time living with a tribe of Peruvian Indians. The Indians possessed a mind-altering drink that reportedly allowed access to internal information not available through any other source. The anthropologist ends up concluding that the drink allows the person ingesting it to communicate with her or his own DNA on an inner level. It's the voice of the ancestors they hear. Narby went on to write a book on the subject, which is titled The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge.

I've worked with the shamanistic techniques in The Cauldron of Memory book, and found them to be effective. I believe we inherit more through the DNA passed to us than just the instructions on how to build us. I think we inherit the collective memories of those who came before us, but it requires an inward journey to find the Cauldron that contains and preserves it within us.
:cauldron:

A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#20 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Not all of my ancestors are DNA ones, and I have found the simplest and most effective way for me to connect to their clan-mind was to use what I call a "witch's rosary" to count off an invocation chant of contact repetedly, outside, and also to approach the intersection of where one adopts non-DNA memory. It is something I now do every morning around sunrise. I also find the WR has built up much stored energy and connection over time of use (I also use it in some spell work - is a great way for counting off without having to concentrate on the actual counting) and I can actually use it as a physical trigger now.

M