• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Saw a copy of "A Highland Chapbook" [quoted above]...more like a pamphlet!!! Book, my arse. AND it was 16 quid, 2nd edition [antique fair in Nairn, for anyone interested] I was not tempted to part with my hard-earned for such a tiddly little item.....but if it's still there next time, I might offer up a tenner :)
"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#22 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:13 AM

Just a little more information on the "Moon Paste" thread - I came across an interesting similarity in reading Nigel Jackson's "Celestial Magic" under the chapter "Rays, Moon-Elixirs and The Lunar Chrism" - He discusses the Thessaly Witch notation on "drawing down the moon" however makes a curious remark regarding "Moon Foam", while this doesn't include the ingredients or process of creation it links it with Graeco-Roman magic as well as "Northern African" traditions. Searching on the subject of Thessaly I came across the Witch Erichtho who was known to "raise the dead to recite prophecies" by filling the corpse with animal entrails and "Moon Foam" - curious and curiouser. Perhaps this Moon Foam has some relationship with the Moon Paste and is referenced in the Greek Magical Papyri...

Edited by Grimr, 19 March 2010 - 08:25 AM.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#23 ValarieAnne

ValarieAnne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

My Gran used water and clay or mud from the Uisge Uigidh, Ugie Water or river to make things with. Aberdeenshire.

#24 Zoe

Zoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

What an interesting read, though I'd love to know more about this Moon paste.

"My, what beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look, this one's late. But I'll bet that when it blooms, it will be the most beautiful of all."

Posted Image

#25 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

Moon paste has been quite a mystery for many centuries. Traditional witches have heard of it and tried to concoct something which they could pass off as moon paste. The term was prevalent in both Scotland and England. I have seen moon paste used in Essex to kill, maim or produce abortions. The North African influence is quite strong in East Anglia and in my opinion what we use as moon paste is probably what the Morrocans used. My highland relatives also had a different concoction which was nothing like what the Essex witches use. It is a mixture of menstual blood, hence the reference to the moon, and semen. Sex has always been the best and quickest way to raise power. It was believed that the magical force of sex plus the power of the moon would impart a tremendous magical impact. This, of course, is only my own understanding and experience of the term. There will always be different recipes for the much-discussed moon paste.

#26 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Thank you Anjeaunot. Really good to 'see' you by the way!
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#27 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

This thread is really interesting...really enjoyed reading through it. Wish I could offer some of my own thoughts here, but haven't heard of moon paste before this thread

Great topic though & certainly thought provoking, for me at least.

~Anara

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#28 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

Saw a copy of "A Highland Chapbook" (quoted above)...more like a pamphlet!!! Book, my arse. AND it was 16 quid, 2nd edition [antique fair in Nairn, for anyone interested] I was not tempted to part with my hard-earned for such a tiddly little item.....but if it's still there next time, I might offer up a tenner :)

Don't! I found a copy online a while back for under a fiver.

#29 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Just a little more information on the "Moon Paste" thread - I came across an interesting similarity in reading Nigel Jackson's "Celestial Magic" under the chapter "Rays, Moon-Elixirs and The Lunar Chrism" - He discusses the Thessaly Witch notation on "drawing down the moon" however makes a curious remark regarding "Moon Foam", while this doesn't include the ingredients or process of creation it links it with Graeco-Roman magic as well as "Northern African" traditions. Searching on the subject of Thessaly I came across the Witch Erichtho who was known to "raise the dead to recite prophecies" by filling the corpse with animal entrails and "Moon Foam" - curious and curiouser. Perhaps this Moon Foam has some relationship with the Moon Paste and is referenced in the Greek Magical Papyri...

FYI-

I did find a reference to moon foam in The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells and includes both a ritual to obtain this and does reference that it is historically prized by Morocco's witches.

~Anara

Edited by Anara, 01 November 2011 - 02:36 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#30 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

I enjoyed reading through this thread again, so I am bumping it up. I believe there is another thread on this subject, but I did not want to lose this one in the process of looking for the other. :)

#31 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I have seen something similar bein made when i was young but i dont recall the name, it to was made from from blood, sea foam, herbs and stuff. Interesting thread.

#32 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have seen something similar bein made when i was young but i dont recall the name, it to was made from from blood, sea foam, herbs and stuff. Interesting thread.

I've done something similiar yet never labled it as such, but I used "lake foam" as one of the ingredients, as it when it did dry on my object, it sure was sticky like paste.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#33 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

lol, i get the sticky reference, am i forgiven?

#34 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

I found something about this on scribe it's an app to the worlds largest online library. I tried cut and pasting it but it won't let me.
The salient parts are

Water from 7 wells
Herbs gathered at each phase of the moon, it did not give names of herbs just that they need to be gathered at each moon phase
Clay taken from a special place, I found the wording here interesting because it says A special place not the special place. The most important part is that it be gathered at the full moon to capture its power and that incantations be sung widdershins in the most elaborate of rituals
Baked in a fire then pounded into dust

This was also included I'm not sure if its part of it or what and its super patchy so open to interpretation
There's also a reference to using a umbilical cord three cocoanut palm leaves buried outside the house eleven days I think the placenta but its off the edge of the page so hard to decipher. A ceremonial bath held at the edge of a well and the mother being allowed to draw water from the well which she has been forbidden to doing since birth.

I get the impression this is two very different types of moon paste by two different religions the first being Thessaly, bitteny, and Celtic the second being Hindu but this is just my guess based on what I'm reading. I really wish it would let me cut and paste it.

I don't know if this gives you anything new or not but I thought it might be interesting or helpful in your quest.

#35 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I finnaly got the second page to come up and it lists the following herbs, tumeric, vermilion, betel leaves are a nuts, haldi, pinza. I don't even know what a few of these are or if they are even plants lol it's an odd sort of list that then goes back into moon paste being black or white magic very strong and that can be used for weal or woe and that Isabel Gouldie used it to help jean Gordon.

#36 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

I found something about this on scribe it's an app to the worlds largest online library. I tried cut and pasting it but it won't let me.
The salient parts are

Water from 7 wells
Herbs gathered at each phase of the moon, it did not give names of herbs just that they need to be gathered at each moon phase
Clay taken from a special place, I found the wording here interesting because it says A special place not the special place. The most important part is that it be gathered at the full moon to capture its power and that incantations be sung widdershins in the most elaborate of rituals
Baked in a fire then pounded into dust

This was also included I'm not sure if its part of it or what and its super patchy so open to interpretation
There's also a reference to using a umbilical cord three cocoanut palm leaves buried outside the house eleven days I think the placenta but its off the edge of the page so hard to decipher. A ceremonial bath held at the edge of a well and the mother being allowed to draw water from the well which she has been forbidden to doing since birth.

I get the impression this is two very different types of moon paste by two different religions the first being Thessaly, bitteny, and Celtic the second being Hindu but this is just my guess based on what I'm reading. I really wish it would let me cut and paste it.

I don't know if this gives you anything new or not but I thought it might be interesting or helpful in your quest.

This is interesting, thanks Athena for the effort. This ritual in it's application would be considered "great Paganism", as when I look at the regions offered ( Thessally, ect. ..) were highly influenced by the R.catholic belief system. The church took great great effort in putting the big ka-bosh on this ritual. The reference of how the female was forbiddin to draw water, was because she is "unclean" and would have to wait 40 days after birth to even touch the container used to draw the water, again the R.C.churchs influence, ascribing to the Jewish laws ect. I can easilly surmize due to the trade routes how a "palm leaf" could come up from these Mediteranean regions all the way to Britteny ( France ?). Think... " Palm Sunday".... influenced by the R.C.church.

Pagans in the North would go to a cross roads and offer their child to a Diety for a blessing, and that too was tabooo, due to the Pagan belief, that the church so vehemetely strove to banish and squelch.

There is a Post/Threads floating around this Forum which speaks of this. lol ! I would think that the Moon and Phases would be initiator of this "paste" as the Pagan knew and accepted this as part of the " Old Religion " and would use what ever was in their particular region as ingredients to craft such a working. Especially given the ages back, when the regions had to rely for the most part of what they had on hand.

I'm pondering on the lines that, it may not of mattered to the simple Pagan in the North, would of used local flora at hand, and knew the symbolism of the Moon, who in their mind was a female diety, and made their own "Paste", all the while knowing... the taboo of this. LoL. The ingredients would vary, but the Moon and Phases where always the same, and still are to this day.

Just my ponderings.... lol !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#37 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Moon paste has been quite a mystery for many centuries. Traditional witches have heard of it and tried to concoct something which they could pass off as moon paste. The term was prevalent in both Scotland and England. I have seen moon paste used in Essex to kill, maim or produce abortions. The North African influence is quite strong in East Anglia and in my opinion what we use as moon paste is probably what the Morrocans used. My highland relatives also had a different concoction which was nothing like what the Essex witches use. It is a mixture of menstual blood, hence the reference to the moon, and semen. Sex has always been the best and quickest way to raise power. It was believed that the magical force of sex plus the power of the moon would impart a tremendous magical impact. This, of course, is only my own understanding and experience of the term. There will always be different recipes for the much-discussed moon paste.

This ones speaks to me. If I were to make my own moon paste I would use a variant of this. Before this was posted I had a thought that it might include menstrual blood and semen at least as a base. This, in my own mind, would be a powerful combination for several different reasons. Voted this up.

#38 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I think i would agree with youW/rose. It reminds me of something i read a while back regarding the rite of lillith ,all makes sense, sex, moon,herbs of saturn. very interesting.wonder if i can find it.

#39 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Bump

RSKHFMY

#40 Enodia

Enodia

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

Just wondering. . .what would be the point in water from seven wells?
"it is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot