Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SadJamiee

Sleep Problems

i was wondering if anyone can recommend anything to use for sleeplessness? my boyfriend has been having a really tough time sleeping and now its really effecting his day to day life. he's done all the usual stuff, herbal and over the counter, and is still having issues. any suggestions? all are appreciated.

:help: Jamie

Yup.

4 Cups Water

4 (large) Lettuce leaves

1 TBSP. Chamomile

? TSP. Catnip

? Valerain

Honey

i was wondering if anyone can recommend anything to use for sleeplessness? my boyfriend has been having a really tough time sleeping and now its really effecting his day to day life. he's done all the usual stuff, herbal and over the counter, and is still having issues. any suggestions? all are appreciated.

:help: Jamie

thanks ladies. i hate to see him suffering and i know how it feels. i had insomnia for years until recently i never slept. it makes you really cranky.

:chakrahearts:

Jamie

Thanks Anjel! Can I use the darker lettuce? I hate the light stuff. (name walked out of my brain)

Fennel tea does it for me; sometimes I add lavender. But is something on his mind?? Good luck.

Thanks Anjel! Can I use the darker lettuce? I hate the light stuff. (name walked out of my brain)

Actually the iceburg lettuce is what has the sleep enzymes in it.

Yeah I hate that stuff too (has absolutely no nutritional value what so ever) but I swear by my remedy here LOL!

Fennel tea does it for me; sometimes I add lavender. But is something on his mind?? Good luck.

Do you use the seeds?

Also, I recently researched passion flower and it is said to be a sedative. 1 tsp to 2/3 cup water. However, i'm still meaning to try it, but thought i would suggest it just in case you were interested.

Try making a Hops pillow, I have always found that they work great.

To make a 12? x 9? pillow you will need four handfuls of dried hops flowers and four handfuls of dried lavender flowers. (Obviously you can reduce the amount for a smaller pillow).

Just put equal amounts of hops and lavender flowers in a pillow case and seal it up.

Sleep with it under or beside your head.

Branred.

chamomile, Valerian, and Tilia estrella all have sedative properties and all work well to induce sleep. if taken together they will knock you the hell out, I use a tea made of these three combine, I am a 170 pound man so I do not know what differences in dose you would need.

AnjelWolf- I have never heard of icebrugh lettus having these properties, it is interesting. do you have a link or anything to an herbalist site that will tell me the medical names of the properties in question. (I am trying to gain a specific knowledge for this particular topic) thanks a bunch.

Be well all,

MagDis

I've never heard of just "iceberg" lettuce having the enzyme. Most lettuces, yes, but you need to be sure it's a "lettuce" (Lactuca Genus), not a "leafy green". From Wikipedia:

Lactucarium (or “Lettuce Opium”) is a mild opiate-like substance that is contained in all types of lettuce. Both the Romans and Egyptians took advantage of this property eating lettuce at the end of a meal to induce sleep.

there is always something on his mind. unfortunately he's a worrier and very do it ALL yourself like me. so its a combo of things - worrying=no sleep and no sleep=worrying and cranky. so the vicious circle jus keeps going. but at least we can try to get the sleep in check with all the suggestions from everyone.

:thanks:

Jamie

Actually the iceburg lettuce is what has the sleep enzymes in it.

Yeah I hate that stuff too (has absolutely no nutritional value what so ever) but I swear by my remedy here LOL!

Thanks Anjel. I hate the iceberg myself, but I am willing to feed it to the partner. She doesn't like much green in anything. So, it won't be wasted. I hate waste.

Has your boyfriend tried Hyland's "Calm Forte" tablets. I really struggle with insomnia and anxiety at night time and find these things just knock me out cold. Apparently they are homeopathic ... the label says they are natural and non-habit forming although I pop them quite often.

Good day Mountain Witch,

thank you very much for the link and clarification of the properties of lettuce. I looked at the Wikipedia page on lactucarium and it appears that it is poisonous in certain amounts (there has been one reported death as it says on Wikipedia.) I am curious if you know how to extract the stuff, prepare the correct portions, (also what variety of lettuce) and how much is too much? just wondering, wouldn't want to try anything too intoxicating :-). thanks again.

Be well,

MagDis

Good day Mountain Witch,

thank you very much for the link and clarification of the properties of lettuce. I looked at the Wikipedia page on lactucarium and it appears that it is poisonous in certain amounts (there has been one reported death as it says on Wikipedia.) I am curious if you know how to extract the stuff, prepare the correct portions, (also what variety of lettuce) and how much is too much? just wondering, wouldn't want to try anything too intoxicating :-). thanks again.

Be well,

MagDis

MagDis,

Virtually ANY substance is poisonous in "certain" amounts. There are reports of deaths linked to herbs all over the place. Most of the time it's due to either mistakenly taking the wrong herb, the wrong amount, or an individual's sensitivity to a particular herb. If lettuce were poisonous, I doubt we'd all be eating it in our salads. You consume far more in a salad that you would in another type of preparation.

Iceberg lettuce is the most readily-available Lactuca species. The bib lettuce grown in home gardens is also a Lactuca species. You just need to research what you're buying/growing to ensure you've got the right stuff - same as any other herb.

Anjel's recipe is just fine. The high water content in iceberg lettuce dilutes the inherent chemicals, and they're further diluted in the preparation. I don't see any danger at all.

MagDis,

Virtually ANY substance is poisonous in "certain" amounts. There are reports of deaths linked to herbs all over the place. Most of the time it's due to either mistakenly taking the wrong herb, the wrong amount, or an individual's sensitivity to a particular herb. If lettuce were poisonous, I doubt we'd all be eating it in our salads. You consume far more in a salad that you would in another type of preparation.

Iceberg lettuce is the most readily-available Lactuca species. The bib lettuce grown in home gardens is also a Lactuca species. You just need to research what you're buying/growing to ensure you've got the right stuff - same as any other herb.

Anjel's recipe is just fine. The high water content in iceberg lettuce dilutes the inherent chemicals, and they're further diluted in the preparation. I don't see any danger at all.

good day Mountain Witch,

very true indeed, but in my mind to get any desired affect of the drug you would need to have it in a concentrated form. I eat lettuce all the time as you say in salads and such but I have never become sleepy or drowsy afterward. this led me to inquire what if anything in lettuce was capable of having these affects, which there obviously is, however it is also obvious that "normal" amounts (such as in a salad) are not enough for me anyway to give me any of the sedative properties. this leads me to believe that to gain any of this I would have to extract it and then concentrate it, which would make it much more powerful and thus much more likely to have an accident occur. just wondering if you knew of any measurements that would be useful (in a extracted sense) but maybe I will just stick to my tea.

Be well,

MagDis

Guest Grimr

2 Parts Passion Flower

1/2 Part Valerian Root

1 Part Chamomile Flowers

Honey to taste

He'll be OUT!! :)

this leads me to believe that to gain any of this I would have to extract it and then concentrate it, which would make it much more powerful and thus much more likely to have an accident occur. just wondering if you knew of any measurements that would be useful (in a extracted sense) but maybe I will just stick to my tea.

MagDis, the iceberg lettuce has a much milder action than "Wild Lettuce" (Lactuca virosa), which is why you probably aren't experiencing any sleepiness after having a salad. I don't know the chemical properties but I would assume that, due to the high water content in the iceberg, the sedative/hallucenogenic chemicals are highly diluted in that species.

The best way to ingest an herb that has such a high water content is to juice it. If you were to make a tea or tincture out of iceberg lettuce, the liquids in those preparations would dilute the chemicals further.

good day mountain witch,

yes juicing it would probably do the trick, I will have to find some lactuca virosa and cultivate it near me. I do not eat iceberg lettuce however, I eat a wild form of lettuce as well as romaine. I tried to look up the sedative properties of these two species but alas to no avail. it seems that lactuca L. virosa is the lettuce with the prodominate sleep inducing characteristics.

Be well,

MagDis

Not sure if you have made any progress on the sleeping front yet.

If you haven?t then you could try: St John?s Wort.

It is normally associated with treating depression but it does have a long history of being used to induce sleep.

Branred.

Quiet evening, no tv, low light. Then warm bath and a massage and sex. (Not being funny here). Set the mood for relaxation by quieting noisy electronic stuff and using candles.

Wow. They have this stuff right here and it is helpful for pain as well.

http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/opium-lettuce-p-78.html

and here as well as a zillion others

http://psychoactiveherbs.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=174

It says:

Wild lettuce, Lactuca virosa

Wild Lettuce was studied some time ago by the Council of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain in 1911. In these plants they found several chemicals which constitute a mild sedative and cough suppressant; the highest concentrations of which are found in Lactuca virosa. The two main chemicals are Lactucopicrin and Lactucin.

When a stem or leaf from a Wild Lettuce plant is broken or cut, it will bleed a thick milky sap. The dried sap is often referred to as Lettuce Opium, though it contains no opiates or illegal substances. This sap can be extracted many ways, but the most common is by soaking plant material in alcohol. After several weeks, the plant material is filtered out. This extract is usually called Lactucarium. Traditionally Lactucarium is consumed by dissolving a few drops into tea or mixed with tobacco and smoked.

INFORMATION PROVIDED ON OUR WEBSITE IS FOR BOTANICAL/CULTURAL RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY! ANY REFERANCES ABOUT THE USE OR EFFECTS OF THESE NATURAL HEALING HERBS IS BASED ON TRADITIONAL USE OR SHAMANIC PRACTICES. ALL PRODUCTS ARE SOLD FOR ETHNOBOTANICAL RESEARCH (NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION)!!!

What kind of alcohol could be used? I'm not sure what to do, but my husband has a great deal of spine pain and I'm thinking maybe this could help him.

Sorry about the color I can't seem to change it.

Well if you were going to consume it, maybe a good quality vodka would work? I know of a great Czech herbal liquour called Becherovka, which is infused with all kinds of herbs. When I was in CZ, I got the flu and a horrible cough, someone gave this to me and it really quieted the cough and helped with the aches and pains. Maybe it has some of this wild lettuce in it too.