Where should a beginner start?

landunderwave

I have looked through the book section here, but couldn't find any beginner's books. Since I haven't anybody here in my area who could teach me (except for a few wiccan covens), the only thing I have here are books and the good old try-and-error on my own.

(I will also search for local folklore, fairy tales and legends around in my area. Because some people recommend that.)

But how did you start? Did you have somebody who taught you? Or did you seek in a library? I know there are things books can't teach, which you should learn by yourself out of experience, but to have such experiences I need a solid basis to start with.

Every advice is appreciated. I don't want to sound like a newbie, but book recommendations would be wonderful, too. Thanks in advance.

If somebody has posted something similiar, so please excuse my nescience (I hope this is the right word).

I have looked through the book section here, but couldn't find any beginner's books. Since I haven't anybody here in my area who could teach me (except for a few wiccan covens), the only thing I have here are books and the good old try-and-error on my own.

(I will also search for local folklore, fairy tales and legends around in my area. Because some people recommend that.)

But how did you start? Did you have somebody who taught you? Or did you seek in a library? I know there are things books can't teach, which you should learn by yourself out of experience, but to have such experiences I need a solid basis to start with.

Every advice is appreciated. I don't want to sound like a newbie, but book recommendations would be wonderful, too. Thanks in advance.

If somebody has posted something similiar, so please excuse my nescience (I hope this is the right word).

Hi...I grew up as a witch, my mother was. I really didn't even have a name for things till I got older basically. I just knew our family did things differently than others and there was nothing wrong with it.

You know...by being here and asking questions...it helps you to learn and to explore different paths and or levels.

I know myself, I teach witchcraft, but I am in the U.S. Look through as many books and what not as you feel ok with...talk with everyone here...basiclly open your mind up and learn

Hi, well where to start, dont worry I was new here myself about 6 months ago, always been what I am know just didnt know it! Ask anything, no one here will think less of you and some one is bound to have an answer! You will find in time your instinct will be your best guide. I dont know if you want to look at things from a cultural point of view, I actually follow roughly an Anglo Saxon way of looking at things (yes an old Germanic way), if you are interested I would recomend looking at http://www.englishheathenism.homestead.com/ one book you may like on these lines is called "The Way of Wyrd" by Brian Bates ISBN 1-4019-0477-7 I dont know this is only my outlook, I also tend to be very nature orientated as well.

However, I would suggest if you only ever buy one book you should get "Practical Physic Self Defense" by Robert Bruce ISBN 1-57174-221-2, I truly believe the first thing to do is make sure you always protect yourself, I found out the hard way!

Hope some of this is usefull to you and as I say just shout, someone will answer you!:)

No, this kind of information should be available openly to all browsers. We cant keep everything locked away or nobody will know if they wish to join or not .. and in all honesty I would rather have people joining who know what they are actually joining :)

Anything more in depth then of course it will be in the members section but as we all know most of the craft comes from within anyway.

Guest wortmistress

I was called to this path and in the beginning I read the standard "Trad books" that are recommended on most Trad. sites. These include "Roebuck in the Thicket", "Call of the Horned Piper" and "The Pickingill Papers". Out of these I found "The Call of the Horned Piper" the book which got me started. It contains the mythos of some traditions but gives a general feel and flavour. Nowadays, I rely less and less on books, although I have a perchant for local folklore and customs books. Often, some Trad. paths are based on folk magic so it really is worth checking out stories and accounts in history. Trad. Craft covers many individual paths, techniques, and even the well- known ones are just the tip of the iceberg. My sincere advice to you would be to spend time alone, in nature, find a place of personal power, see what it reveals to you. It may sound flaky but it is a valid way to find yourself and your calling. I perform no set rituals laid out in a book, I do not subscribe to the modern wheel of the year. Why? because MY wheel was revealed to me a few months ago whilst working with the land. I cannot emphasize this enough. WORK WITH THE LAND and the spirits that reside therein, and within time simplicity will shine through and the crooked path ahead...:hugs:

Greetings!

I didn't have any teacher either for many years. My path just came naturally to me. I like and agree with the getting into nature and letting things reveal themself to you. I've done that. I dedicated myself to my path out it the desert of Arizona. I sat on a boulder and realized I was surrounded by rattle snakes but just sat and meditated quietly. The snakes went away after a while and I thanked them for their joining me. Kind of crazy huh. But I was given a lot of insight that day and now teach others the craft in Canada. I never recommend the snake part to any student by the way. I like using nature as a guide though. Most of the books we find in North America tend to be wiccan based so I don't have any I could recommend. Just ask lots of questions and you will learn a lot here. My husband and I have also started compiling some information on our site as well if you want to check it out too. www.warriorwitches.com We are trying to add new things from research everyday or so. I hope that doesn't cause any problem with anyone here does it? I love this site.

Blessings,

FyreWillow :welcome:

Thank you very much everybody for the quick replies.

My main problem isn't that there isn't nature around my home or something. But my wood behind my house isn't really untouched, you have to walk an hour to be on your own because of the fact that there is a municipal sewageplant in the middle of the woods and also a highway runs right through it. There isn't any calmness you could get from there. : / You can't help but get the impression that this wood is nearly dead because of the great human influence. My boyfriend for example lives near a really great wood. When you outside towards the wood you get this feeling: "You aren't allowed to enter, you don't belong here. Return to your home and leaves us alone! You know hat I mean?" (This is also a thing I want to change, to get the acceptance of the wood to enter.)

Also I have the problem to get calm myself, to concentrate because I'm heading right towards my final exams for the a-levels. *sigh*

It's more the thing that I have unwanted guests every now and then.

Some of them are really frightening, some of them just come and look, some of them seem like warnings. I feel somehow the responsibility to tell some of them that they aren't supposed to be here anymore.

We had several deaths in my street over the years, most of them out of miserable circumstances. The house next to mine for example: The father always argued with his wife, in the end the son couldn't stand this and drived into a wall without a driving licence.

After this the father hanged himself and the mother committed suicide with sleeping pills. We had other incidences like this in nearly every house of my street. My familiy's house is one of the few where nothing bad happened till now. I want to keep this aura away from my house and my family.

I don't have any problems with communicating with "them" or even help "them", but I'm not able to do such a thing because I don't know how.

I haven't got any experience, also I know it's really dangerous, so this was the reason I wanted to start with the normal basics to be someday on a experienced level to handle such incidents.

I know there are other things that are more important for the meaning of witchcraft like folklore, herbal knowledge and so on (Please corret me if i'm wrong). These are things I all want to learn for sure, because you shouldn't take three steps at once, but one after a another. I just want to understand this gift, I'm looking for answers since I had my first experience, but couldn't find any.

So if you have any suggestions what I could do, please do so.

I do understand where you are coming from, Honestly! It is so easy to attract the attentions of "others" and not always in a good way! Again I would suggest if you never buy any other book please look at "Practical Physic Self Defense" by Robert Bruce ISBN 1-57174-221-2, It was reccomended to me by Sandy and it will teach you how to deal with unwelcome "visitors".

I realise you are under pressure at the moment but just meditate, find peace within your soul and it will come to you, I to had a tough time ( I was searching for the way for many years and had learned wiccan ways which didnt fit ) but once you learn to look within yourself I think you will find much of what you seek will become instinctive. I know from my experience I have become a much different person, its a confidence thing, we have evolved over the years to not trust instincts but once you relearn to use what most people ignore it will come right for you.

Hope you can make some sense of this and that it helps, I remember six months ago I felt what you are feeling now but please before you do anything protect yourself!;)

Thank you Marshy for your support and understanding. I will follow your advice and will order the book you mentioned.

Though I'm not so good with expressing my feelings in the english language, you should know that I really appreciate everything you and the others are telling me.

It means a lot for me to be taken seriously, because I have nobody to talk to here. I will try to keep cool. Perhaps it's just the pressure. Who knows?

Thats no problem, beleive me I undersand, I had exacty the same problems, there is nobody for probably 150 miles around me that I can speak to, that is why this place is so important to me. I was lost and for years I didnt know who to turn to.

Daven, I'm confused. Why would you be directing a seeking newcomer to your Wiccan site when they're asking for info on a Traditional board?

Becasue I completely forgot. LOL

I tend to be more of a Wiccan teacher, and I try to keep it kind of non-trad specific. My screw up.

mea culpa. Forgive me.

Daven that a lovely site and very well written although this is not advice that we can freely dish out because it doesn't resonate what we do or are here.

Perhaps it is a good idea when people post links in the future on this forum to say something a bit more about what to expect.

In Davens case like:

This is my personal view of what worked for me and works for many people, although it is more Wiccan orientated, not Traditional.

You have a wealth of information that you have written, alot of it very interesting and I am sure some people here will enjoy it.

However, there are no rules or guidelines to being Traditional Witch .. we just "are" and it just "is".

:cool:

Daven that a lovely site and very well written although this is not advice that we can freely dish out because it doesn't resonate what we do or are here.

Perhaps it is a good idea when people post links in the future on this forum to say something a bit more about what to expect.

In Davens case like:

This is my personal view of what worked for me and works for many people, although it is more Wiccan orientated, not Traditional.

You have a wealth of information that you have written, alot of it very interesting and I am sure some people here will enjoy it.

However, there are no rules or guidelines to being Traditional Witch .. we just "are" and it just "is".

:cool:

Spoken very well Sands...I know I teach witchcraft myself in my area and tend to keep it general as well...for the seekers who are Wiccans I advise them to conduct their own specialized path information on their own time...when i teach it keeps generalized for everyone to learn

I think the most important piece of information that I could offer is that the process of beginning to learn about any part of the occult is an ongoing process. I recall thinking that after a couple of years I would have it all well in hand, but it seemed like every year, I felt just as much like a beginner. Not that it would have changed my journey any, but I wish it had dawned on me earlier that the boundaries are endless because nature and the power of it is infinite. Thus, all that there is to be learned and taught is also endless. You will spend your life on this journey if you choose to do so.

I taught myself for the most part. Although, my biggest moments and breakthrough type moments were often brought on by ancestors sort of whispering in my ear. I sort of took my time just so I was able to really learn each lesson because I spent a long time on it and really sat and thought about it. I have lived in apartments for most of my adulthood so most of my magic occured in my livingroom or kitchen. When I did get out in the open, it was really special to me. Pragmatically, I had a 750 square foot apartment to work with and that was okay because I could make great visuals in my mind. My mind is another reality so in a way, I could be anywhere and yet be wherever I wanted to be if the anywhere wasn't my place of choice.

Best wishes on your journey.

Hi landunderwave,

I have not logged on here for a while and I think everyone has already covered any reply I would have given myself. The wonderful thing about 'today' is the internet. It is so much easier to get hold of information than it was lets say 20 years ago. When I was a practising Christian and I was trying to find my little corner in the religious world, it was like trying to push water uphill. Eventually I go here.

If I was to add anything at all it would simply be to say that you never stop 'beginning'. My religious outlook, although well rooted now and as comfortable as a glove, still evolves as I add to, or reject concepts to my belief system. What is important is to realise that you never have to conform to anything you don't feel comfortable with. You don't have to be a 'this', 'that' or 'the other', you simply have to be yourself.

Like all true pathways, you find the answers on the inside and not on the outside. The information we get from the outside are pointers only.

Landunderwave, you've already gotten SO much great advice; there's really not much I can add other than to agree that one is always a beginner of sorts. The internet is invaluable. Use it, but beware.

And Daven, I'm so sorry for coming across so harsh sounding!! Your site is fabulous and well-written and has a ton of info on it... I guess my concern was that it would be confusing to a newbie who was seeking something more traditional in nature... but of course there's knowledge to be gained everywhere... so... YOU please forgive ME! :oops:

Let me just add a quick word here as well (as if anyone or anything can stop my mouth from running at times LOL)...all of us (no matter what path you are on) are forever seeking and learning in life...for the one who states that they no longer need to learn or seek...they are (normally) full of horse-shit.

My familiy's house is one of the few where nothing bad happened till now. I want to keep this aura away from my house and my family.

So if you have any suggestions what I could do, please do so.

Hi Landunderwave

I think you can do some simple things to protect your home from bad vibes and unwanted intrusions. I'm sure others can add some suggestions!

- Put small mirrors in your windows facing outwards to ward away bad feeling from your neighbours.

- Make a solution of salt and water and sprinkle around all the windows and doors for protection. Visualise a protective barrier as you do this, which the uninvited cannot cross.

- Grow a pot of basil in your kitchen. Very good for protection as well as having the bonus of being good with salad!

- Hang crystals in your hallway or near outside doors. Dip in the salt water first. Another protection/deflection device.

- Find a hagstone (stone with hole in it all the way through). Attach to your house keyring. Will protect your home as well as make it difficult to lose your keys!

Hope these small practical suggestions help.