Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyrd

Arthritis & Gout treatment......

I picked up some dark cherry juice concentrate, at GNC, for my Dad's gout. That way, he could mix a little in with whatever beverage he wanted. An awful lot of people swear by the stuff for gout!

I picked up some dark cherry juice concentrate, at GNC, for my Dad's gout. That way, he could mix a little in with whatever beverage he wanted. An awful lot of people swear by the stuff for gout!

I have also read, that celery helps gout tremendously, EJ. In my reading I found that gout skips a generation, and the ailment falls to the grandchildren. I know this to be true, as MomZella, has gout bout's at times, and is on med's for this, yet her grandchildren 3 in fact get it too, and they range from 30 to 40+. None of MomZella's children have or ever experianced these gout bouts, but the grandchildren do. I make sure I have celery in much of my cooking, or just to snack on, as I've heard that it's extremely painful, and disabling.:sickwitch: Celery seeds atop of deviled eggs are yummy too!

Regards,

Gypsy

I have also read, that celery helps gout tremendously, EJ. In my reading I found that gout skips a generation, and the ailment falls to the grandchildren. I know this to be true, as MomZella, has gout bout's at times, and is on med's for this, yet her grandchildren 3 in fact get it too, and they range from 30 to 40+. None of MomZella's children have or ever experianced these gout bouts, but the grandchildren do. I make sure I have celery in much of my cooking, or just to snack on, as I've heard that it's extremely painful, and disabling.:sickwitch: Celery seeds atop of deviled eggs are yummy too!

Regards,

Gypsy

Good to know about the celery, CG. I, also, didn't realize it skipped a generation...I suppose I should feel grateful about that, for myself, but hope that my kids don't end up with it. :cry_witch:

I just added cherry concentrate (and elderberry and pomegranate) to my Amazon shopping cart...thanks for the info!stirring.gif

Guest MissTree

Regards,

Gypsy

I didn't know celery would help. Thanks for sharing that!

You can make a tea from celery seeds, too - it tastes great.

Raina

Now that I didn't know, that sounds extremely beneficial, can you shed a little more light on this Raina, please? Thank you. As the seeds are so tiny, how much would you use to make a nice pot ? I'd be so grateful.

Regards,

Gypsy

I've never made a pot - I usually just make a cup/mug at a time with the tea ball. I don't use any mesh or anything inside the tea ball because the mesh of the tea ball is small enough to contain the small celery seeds.

Raina

I have a client who uses fresh or frozen cherries only. He discovered that if he eats about 15 per day it keeps the needle like gout pain out of his knees. In season, he can have all he wants, but off season he eats the ones he froze himself. He freezes baggies of 15 cherries. By the end of June his freezer is full! I like frozen cherries as well. I like to suck on a frozen cherry until it unfreezes in my mouth enough to eat the cherry away from the pit.

Well, my other half is trying it out, she's ditched her amyltriprolene and is now on cherry concentrate - though she's now trying the tablets. She's also on st johns wort and a few other things (Inc. Vervain, skullcap and hops).

Will keep you posted of the results :)

Hope she wasn't taking the St Johns Wort the same time as the Amitriptyline!

St Johns Wort does a lot within the body. This also means that it interacts with pretty much all medication (including completely nullifying The Pill) a lot of people into home remedies and even nurses will reccomend the herb without taking into consideration other medications or interactions including one nurse who claimed "But it's natural! It can't mess with tablets."

Just wanted to throw it out there, I've seen too many people hurt by the interactions that I'd rather issue a gentle caution on it.

St Johns Wort does a lot within the body. This also means that it interacts with pretty much all medication (including completely nullifying The Pill) a lot of people into home remedies and even nurses will reccomend the herb without taking into consideration other medications or interactions including one nurse who claimed "But it's natural! It can't mess with tablets."

Just wanted to throw it out there, I've seen too many people hurt by the interactions that I'd rather issue a gentle caution on it.

Indeed, it's something she is aware of. It is however worth mentioning for those that don't know the side effects. I know she still takes prescription co-codomol.

Might be worth mentioning that hops taken in quantity can be halucenegenic.

The other thing she now takes is Potters newrelax which has hops, scullcap, dry extract valerian and dry extract veravain (sp)

Guest Rowan

My husband has just been diagnosed with gout. I have nettles for nettle tea, and am glad to learn here about the black cherry concentrate, celery, and celery seed tea. I would love to hear an update from any of you previous posters about how these treatments have panned out. And if anyone has any magical workings they might want to share (perhaps by PM?), I would be ever so grateful.

St Johns Wort does a lot within the body. This also means that it interacts with pretty much all medication (including completely nullifying The Pill) . . .

Just for the record, I can personally attest to this, as I ended up with a bouncing baby boy (now 20 years old), because I missed this tid-bit of information. Oops!

J

I'm thinking that buying frozen cherries would be cheaper and more effective than buying concentrate. I would think concentrate would be the easiest to market, but not the most efficient way to get the desired outcome. But what do I know? :-0

What I do know is that I'm going to add more frozen cherries to my diet.

And I got a nice big head of celery yesterday that I now have more incentive to cook up. In the past I have just boiled a few chopped stalks of celery in some water and then added a can of low fat clam chowder.