Photo
- - - - -

Basic Herb Garden

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#41 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Being unable to plant this year, I'm counting on what made it through the winter. I'm really disappointed that I didn't get my morning glories in the ground, like I wanted to.

Pretty much everything stayed alive in their containers but I did have to bring the sage into the garage during the frosts, they didn't like that at all but I'm pleased they lived. I have purple and tri-colored sage, chives (came back...everywhere, in the grass, the cracks in the pavement! They are in pots, who knew?), oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley, artichoke and strawberries in containers. As soon as the sun came out, they all started flowering, never got to trim them back. I'm not sure what to do with them now. I can feel that they need to be trimmed back but I'm not sure exactly when/how much to do that as I usually do it before they flower. Any advice?

This year is odd, that we've gone from hail to rain to 90-degree heat back to cold and rain. Got sunshine and rain today. Had the air conditioner on day before yesterday but had to add an extra blanket to the bed last night! Oregon, ya gotta love it.

#42 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Once they're done flowering - and producing any berries, you can trim most all of those back by 1/3. Can't speak to the artichoke, though.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#43 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

If the artichoke hasn't flowered and the tips haven't gone purple then you can still eat it. My mums favorites. She grew them so well I just cannot. We would stuff the leaves on the whole head,if that makes sense.

#44 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

Wonderful, MW, thank you. Also you, Aurora, I really appreciate it. It does make sense. Big thanks.

#45 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

I am going to plant some lavender in my rock garden and hopefully some rosemary with the issues I'm having these two plants are great at keeping negative spirits away! I am really needing that right now plus lavander is great for smudging and other workings.

#46 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

I am going to plant some lavender in my rock garden and hopefully some rosemary with the issues I'm having these two plants are great at keeping negative spirits away! I am really needing that right now plus lavander is great for smudging and other workings.

I planted lavender for the first time this year and it's doing great! I truly love lavender, good to know it keeps away negative spirits, because I seriously do not need anymore negativity around here. I am also going to copycat a picture of a container full of herbs that I found in Crate and Barrel catalogue, been meaning to get to that all spring but never got around to it. This is the week! Happy Planting Y'all. :) Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey