Photo
- - - - -

Basic Herb Garden

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

Good idea. My herbs don't last long enough to attract greenfly...they're all ...passed :( Really miss the thyme. however, I have anew batch to plant this week so, here we go again !!! :)
"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#22 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

Put a tiny drop of washing up liquid in a bottle of water and spray onto herbs. Greenfly dont like the soap. Pinch off the worst affected branches.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#23 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

mmmm lavender... I keep wanting to creep around at night, snipping it out of people's gardens... so far I have resisted. I will get around to growing my own, one day.

Lol I always feel like doing that:evillaugh:

#24 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Put a tiny drop of washing up liquid in a bottle of water and spray onto herbs. Greenfly dont like the soap. Pinch off the worst affected branches.

Thanks Tana

I will try that. Only my lavender and chives are through at the moment. Waiting for the other herbs to come. I have sowed the herbs straight outside this year so hope they are ok

#25 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

bumping up

I will be starting a new herb garden again this year. Tried one a few years ago, but I wasn't in tune with what they needed, let's just say too much direct summer sun and not enough water! This time I feel I'll be much more in tune with them. I bought myself a vertical planter that allows you to grow plants in tiers, so I will get more in the same space, and I'm putting it on the front verandah this time so I will see them daily :-) Love the list of herbs so far and would only add corriander to it, I just love the stuff, I'd put it in my cereal if I could lol.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#26 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

Nice replies! I am getting a place soon with my bf (hopefully within the next year) and I am planning an herbal garden, so this topic has been helpful. Sometimes herbs can be so overwhelming. lol :rolleyes_witch:

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#27 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Just talked to my landlady and she doesn't mind if we dig some lawn up at the back to plant veggies etc. (as long as we don't dig it all up) she said it's our home afterall which I thought was lovely considering the agents for our old place were terrible. Think I'll make a little herb bed as well (already found lots of mint). Luckily for us we have a garden centre near enough opposite us :)
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#28 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

Bumping this because I think it's a great thread and I would love to hear what else people think is essential to their herb garden.

I think catnip is an excellent addition, and I like to have skullcap on hand for medicinal and magical use.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#29 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Bumping this because I think it's a great thread and I would love to hear what else people think is essential to their herb garden.

I think catnip is an excellent addition, and I like to have skullcap on hand for medicinal and magical use.

This year I grew Rosmary, Thyme, Sage, Lavender, Catnip and Calendula plus Ivy and Morning glories. Looking around at all the catnip drying in my kitchen, I know it will last me about half way through the winter. I harvested the seeds as well so I will have more next year. So catnip is a staple herb for my garden and it is so easy to grow as long as its contained.

#30 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Different soil conditions, I had: cornflowers, nightshade, hyssop, caledula, larkspur, chokecherries, clamatus, baneberries, black henbane, tansy, sweet and purple basil, white sage, poppies, irises, mints, thyme, echinacea, foxglove.... some other stuff I can't remember. I'm oversensitized to lavendar, no go there, but yeh! Witch garden needs a mix, I'll edit this if I can recall what else is super useful.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#31 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

This year, I grew my first little outdoor herb garden successfully. I had/have 2 kinds of lavender, yarrow, basil, oregano, echinacea, lemon balm, rosemary, eucalyptus and some red chili peppers

Indoor and potted, I have mugwort, some more yarrow, and cinquefoil.

It's been keeping me busy.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#32 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

My wilted brown thumb will not permit me to grow herbs of any kind, so I must rely upon my friends with green thumbs or the few shop owners that I trust to support my magical herb habit. That said, I absolutely cannot live without basil. I love it and cannot live without an abundance in the cupboard. I have tried countless times to grow the beautiful, fragrant herb, only to be left with a brown, dead, insect-ridden, yuckiness. For the sake of my favorite plant, I have (for now) given up; yet, I imagine someday, I'll get the urge and try again.

#33 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I haven't gotten into herbs yet.

But one thing that I grow alot is the Rosemary plant. The kind that grows up to about 3 to 4 feet tall and the branches sort of grows outward knarly sometimes. I like them because they do look like a small "pine tree" plant.

Got them in pots lined on the edge of the patio where I have my fire pit.

#34 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

I should also admit in all truthfulness that I had a gardener at the time. Black thumb here, too! heehee

Posted Image

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#35 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

I should also admit in all truthfulness that I had a gardener at the time. Black thumb here, too! heehee

Posted Image

I hear ya. I pay someone to come take care of the yard and keep the flowers in general order, as I'd kill everything and have just a mound of dry grass and dirt in the middle of the yard. Used to let the boys take care of things, but they have even less time, and only a slightly less brown thumb than I do. LOL!

#36 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

I grow a couple things around the house and we have some fruit trees but I just don't have time to do the full garden so instead I keep a pair of garden shears in my trunk. When I'm out and about going to yard sales or visiting or just walking the dog I ask if I can have a few clippings ( or a lot lol) usually people end up with more than they can use so I can snip away lol. A couple weeks ago a came across some people with tons of purple sage growing in their yard they didn't even know what it was , I asked if I could have some they said sure if you can tell us what it is lol. I now have bunches drying in my garage.

#37 Tylluan

Tylluan

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

What a lovely thread. I'm growing Lemon Balm, Rosemary, English Lavender, Traditional English Marigolds (totally love them, they are like pure gold), Nettles (brilliant for hair and making tea), Geranium, Nasturtium, Thyme, Mint and Flat leafed Parsley.

I grow most of them in tubs so I can hunt the sun as it trails round my garden. The marigolds and Geraniums are out the front and have full sun which they love. The Lavendar is in partial shade but since I planted it in the ground its really taken off.

#38 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

This is kind of ironic. I just woke from a dream about half and hour ago where I had been growing things and I could not grow geraniums for the life of me. They had turned black, leaves, stems and flowers. The rest of the dream has slipped away from me so I don't even remember the significance, though it was do to a presence around me, I just don't remember who.

#39 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

This year I grew Rosmary, Thyme, Sage, Lavender, Catnip and Calendula plus Ivy and Morning glories. Looking around at all the catnip drying in my kitchen, I know it will last me about half way through the winter. I harvested the seeds as well so I will have more next year. So catnip is a staple herb for my garden and it is so easy to grow as long as its contained.

Hahahaha! I was right. The catnip only lasted half way through the winter (which created some seriously pissed off cats). Now I'm having trouble with it up here. Its almost July and we still have mornings that border on frost. Its been a strange year. That and the rain...about a month of rain...straight. Today is rare because the sky is clear but its cold. So my lavender, catnip and morning glories are not doing too well. I should have big bushy morning glory plants with flowers by now vining around everything, but they are still struggling to vine out from the seedling state. The catnip I had planted in the ground didn't come up and the catnip in the pot is struggling. The lavender hasn't even come up yet. So....I'm trying dill, feverfew, flax, borage, foxglove, thyme, sage, ivy, chamomile, echinacea, calendula, veggies, and blueberries and watermelons. All of those are doing alright with the borage and dill doing the best. It turns out there was already foxglove and yarrow in the garden when we moved in. Its been an interesting year for sure.

#40 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

This yrs horseradish is doing very well. Im not sure how long, as in yrs it needs before the root can be harvested. Totally by accident I have found that my grape vines thrive with seaweed.I have decided to let the mint grow where it wants!! and I don't know where to plant the olive trees.