Photo
- - - - -

Basic Herb Garden

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 harmony

harmony

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

I am learning amazing stuff here, all your remedies and such.... I would like to start a herb garden, maybe with 5 herbs or so. Does anyone have any recommendations for what these should be? Maybe general purpose or something..... I am not sure where to start with the herbs.... they grow so quick and I don't want them to suffer or something because I am not using them as quickly as they are growing....

thanks much
harmony:thankyou:

#2 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

I would recommend growing them in pots so you dont get to over run.

Lavender
Rosemary
Thyme
Mint
Parsley
Basil

I recommend these for their culinary,medicinal,magical and their many uses in the garden for keeping pests and cats away. :)

#3 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

Lavender
Rosemary
Thyme
Mint
Parsley
Basil

I recommend these for their culinary,medicinal,magical and their many uses in the garden for keeping pests and cats away. :)

This is a good start. The smaller the pot the better, especially if you have a windowsill to put them on for year-round use.

The only other one I would add is chive, great in salads and other dishes.

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#4 harmony

harmony

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

Thanks so much... I am going to read up on these... I already have Parsley and Thyme.... but don't know much about them... time to do some reading....

#5 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:24 AM

Lavender
Rosemary
Thyme
Mint
Parsley
Basil

What Spinney said. Completely nicked my list ;)

#6 Magnificent_Discipline

Magnificent_Discipline

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

good day harmony,

spinneyhex's suggestions are all good for an herb garden. don't worry about not using them fast enough (I have way more than I will use) most come back next year and you can always dry or freeze the excess (to freeze simply put whole leaves in an ice cube tray and fill with little water.) I also would suggest lemon balm for a "basic" garden, they have many, many therapeutic uses and taste good in cooking as well. If your wondering what they are used for I make tea out of the lemon balm, mint and jasmine leaves, it relaxes you and helps combat make illnesses and helps you sleep (even though valerian and chamomile are best for sleep)

#7 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Lavender
Rosemary
Thyme
Mint
Parsley
Basil

Ditto!

#8 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

I know you only asked for about five and those are already six, but I'd add sage to the list. It's so universal. My personal favorite is rosemary, though.
Scientists say it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly - their wings are too small.
Who's going to explain that to the bumble bees?

Avatar from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

#9 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

I know you only asked for about five and those are already six, but I'd add sage to the list. It's so universal. My personal favorite is rosemary, though.

You beat me to it, Kiara! My sage is doing great this year.

I'm growing Lavender, Rosemary, Basil, Sage, and Lemon Balm.

And cayenne peppers! ;)

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#10 Herbal Moon

Herbal Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

mmmm lavender... I keep wanting to creep around at night, snipping it out of people's gardens... so far I have resisted. I will get around to growing my own, one day.

#11 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

Mugwort is another nice plant to grow indoors. Has a wonderful aroma, and again has some great uses. Its actually easier in some ways to grow indoors as when grown outdoors near other plants in can have a slightly detrimental effect on anything surrounding it if not placed well.

As already said, Sage is a great one. So easy to grow and maintain.

#12 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

Love, love, LOVE that search button. I'd just posted a little blog and thought I'd look for tips on growing herbs. Today, on a total whim, I bought potted herbs. I had intended growing from seed this spring, but they were there so I went for it....basil, sage, mint, scented jasmine, dill, parsley, coriander, chives and thyme..apart from the jasmine at 2.50, they were 69p each!!! Total bargain, and (I hope) harder to kill than seedlings.

So anyone else beginning an indoor herb garden this year? Any pearls of wisdom from seasoned gardeners? :) All/any help appreciated....don't be shy.

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#13 Rustling Leaves

Rustling Leaves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

So many Herbs are very easy to grow and really all they need is a planting trough on a window ledge. My wife is currently making her herb garden in an old Cast Iron Bath tub that is in the top of the garden and gets a nice amount of light. Herbs like Lavender and Rosemary currently are just in our front Garden and quite negelcted, but, they are quite healthy.

We get red poppy's self seeding around here, so we get them in abundance, stinging nettles grow very nicely in our garden, with a strengt that nearly leaves your hands in a state of paralysis should you be unfortunate enough to brush your hand on them, we also get flowering nettles which come along very nicely.

The thing that we are very lucky with is a beautiful Mulberry Tree situated in the middle of our garden, which seems to attract lots of elemental activity.

In my opinion, look at what herbs you want to commonly use and then look at growing them, as I have said many of them are very easy to grow and don't require much more than the occasional drink.

#14 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

So many Herbs are very easy to grow and really all they need is a planting trough on a window ledge. My wife is currently making her herb garden in an old Cast Iron Bath tub that is in the top of the garden and gets a nice amount of light. Herbs like Lavender and Rosemary currently are just in our front Garden and quite negelcted, but, they are quite healthy.

We get red poppy's self seeding around here, so we get them in abundance, stinging nettles grow very nicely in our garden, with a strengt that nearly leaves your hands in a state of paralysis should you be unfortunate enough to brush your hand on them, we also get flowering nettles which come along very nicely.

The thing that we are very lucky with is a beautiful Mulberry Tree situated in the middle of our garden, which seems to attract lots of elemental activity.

In my opinion, look at what herbs you want to commonly use and then look at growing them, as I have said many of them are very easy to grow and don't require much more than the occasional drink.

Okay - I'm jealous. I can't get lavender to grow in this heat, or much of anything for that matter. I do grow rosemary, although I usually have to replace it every few years. My rue seems to die off annualy, too. The only thing that actually lives year-round are the roses, and that's because I keep cutting them in the summer so they can't flower or grow, then only let them grow in the winter. I do love my rosemary... have tons of it, but it does often turn into an annual.

M

#15 Rustling Leaves

Rustling Leaves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

Ok, in the British Climate most herbs go quite easily then... lol..

Oh, my wife also has a massive Aloe Plant growing in the kitchen..

#16 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

My biggest worry ATM is that my window doesn't get much sun...as far as I remember. I HAVE found out that Dill and Coriander like each other, so there's a bit of companion planting going on..well, companion positioning anyway :) It's a whole new world....I only used dried herbs before.
"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

#17 Cedar

Cedar

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:58 AM

The last two summers I've had a container herb garden. I live in the rainy, foresty Pacific Northwest of the US and I don't get a lot of sun in my yard, so I was surprised that my little garden did as well as it did. I would have a REAL garden, but I'm renting and I'm not allowed to dig into the ground...hence, the container garden!

Anyway, I grew hyssop, lemon balm, chammomile, catnip, rosemary, sage, to name a few. I had quite a few and they all did really well. I lost the sage though, to some kind of rot, which made me sad. But it was the most satisfying thing to harvest and dry my own herbs for spellwork, teas and tinctures! What a sense of accomplishment it brought to me!

Last year I didn't buy any new herbs and just let the ones from the year before do their thing. Some didn't make it through the previous winter. I found it interesting that the chammomile volunteered itself all over the place! I had chammomile growing in every pot whether I wanted it to or not!

I'm excited about doing it again this year. I'll put more effort into it than I did last summer and I'm eager to try some new herbs too.

#18 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:11 AM

Interesting....my sage looks 'least likely to see February'. Thyme looks pretty robust, and the scent!!! WOW!!! I keep going over to sniff it. :)

#19 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

This is an interesting topic, I would love to grow herbs and do not have a garden, there is so much advice in here. Thank you.

Anita. :0)

#20 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

These sound great. I have just started growing herbs again this year. The problem I have is green fly inside. Every time I try grow herbs on my windows ledge, I get loads of flys and lovely insects:vomit: all over my herbs yuck, don't really fancy eating them after that. Does anyone have any natural sprays etc that could help this problem. Think I may open a new post for that problem