Photo
- - - - -

Smokeless Sage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

Smokeless Sage

I found this in my witch’s day timer and remembered someone awhile back inquiring about alternatives to burning sage in their home/apartments. This may be what you’re looking for!!!!

1 cup vodka
1 bundle of white sage

Put the vodka in a watertight glass vessel (canning jar works), Break the sage bundle, take out the binding and break it into smaller pieces. Put the sage in the jar with the vodka and let it sit in a sunny window. After 2 weeks strain out the sage. Use 1 part sage infusion to 10 parts water in a spray bottle.

Spray the infusion whenever you would burn sage for cleansing your home. This can be used in place of smoke when clearing negative vibration in crystals, etc., also. The mixture lasts a long time and have seen no adverse reactions to it.

Hope this helps those that were asking!!!!!

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#2 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

Thank you, Morgana! Actually, I have a sage bush that Dad planted. and I was thinking of harvesting some. So, this is a great idea, since the smoke from the incense bothers the little doglets' allergies. Just the sage. When I burn a cone, they seem calmer.

#3 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:47 AM

Oo Morgana, this is a great idea! Awesome..thanks!
[URL="http://usamericanpolitics.ning.com/"][/URL]

#4 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for that recipe. I have a bottle of smokeless smudge that i purchased in a nearby shop. This woman had originally created it for use in a friends hospital room. It smells great and I use it when dh is hovering too much.

#5 Windrunner

Windrunner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

Wow, thanks for this. I get met with so many complaints when I burn ANYTHING at home, and comments of 'you won't let me smoke in doors but you'll stink the place out yourself'. Now no-one will be any the wiser, perfect :)

#6 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thank you Morgana, I love this idea, do you know if it would work with other incense or resins as well?
Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open

#7 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

Russell,

It will work just as well with anything - especially resins - since alcohol is a good extraction medium. With the resins you may have some difficulty straining as they'll "melt" a bit (Copal, especially, tends to get a bit gooey).

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#8 harmony

harmony

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

Oh this is great, I too get complaints when I smudge, burn incense or even light candles. So to be able to cleanse the house without the smell is great. I would love to find out more about alternative methods or methods of infusing stuff

#9 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

Russell,
It will work just as well with anything - especially resins - since alcohol is a good extraction medium. With the resins you may have some difficulty straining as they'll "melt" a bit (Copal, especially, tends to get a bit gooey).

Thanks,
There are many situations when it's inappropriate to burn incense, such as at work and I've even thought of using an electric oil warmer, but the scent is not the same, don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with aroma therapy, it's just doesn't have the same energy as some of the resins and powders. Thanks again, you've inspired me to do some experimentation. :)

Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open

#10 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

Russell,

Sorry, first time I've been able to get online all week, Ren Faire season ya know!!!

But yes, MW it right. Resins work well. I am actually making this currently and a bottle of lavender and plan to mix them together. One of my favs in the house is sage and lavender. Yummy!!!!

Just a word on the vodka....some use the really expensive vodka thinking it makes better infusions, I use the cheap stuff, cheaper the better, and works all the same IMO. I try to buy the vodka by the gallon so I always have some handy....including for my pleasures!!! HEHEHEHE

Earth as Body become Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#11 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

You can get essentially the same effect by putting about 10 drops of an essential oil into 4 ounces of distilled water. Put into a spray bottle (the kind with a "mist" spray works best, rather than the squirt kind) and shake well before each use.

I've had really good luck with this in a variety of situations.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#12 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

I forgot about that! I was also thinking about getting an infuser, especially for at nite the bedroom. I love to burn oils in the house, but with having to use a candle, I keep it out of the bedroom. I do have some cheap spray I use from Avon. When this infusion is done, I'm emptying that bottle to use. Its real nice mist-er!!!!!!!
Earth as Body become Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#13 hedgewitch

hedgewitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

great idea,i will have to try this out as im easliy irritated by smoke so try to avoid burning incense,this will solve the problem nicely and i also happen to have a large bottle of Vodka knocking about in the cupboard

#14 hedgewitch

hedgewitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

You can get essentially the same effect by putting about 10 drops of an essential oil into 4 ounces of distilled water. Put into a spray bottle (the kind with a "mist" spray works best, rather than the squirt kind) and shake well before each use.

I've had really good luck with this in a variety of situations.

i use this to clean my house,both my daughters are irritated by polish and have dust mite allergies ,i damp dust the house and i always put some essential oils in the water,i use different ones depending on the mood im after, im usually quite happy by the time ive finished:lol_witch:

#15 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

I have also heard of people usiing Everclear for this also. I don't know if it makes a difference. I haven't used sage in this way, but instead used vetivert essential oil diluted in a small spray bottle to used around the house. I have sage growing in my garden right now, so i will have to try this recipe.

#16 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

Really great idea! Thank you!!! :)

#17 Meghan

Meghan

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

I will use this in my car. Thank you.

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:50 AM

I don't kow how I would feel about using smokeless sage - I would use the liquid mix to wash something (or hyssop), but when I "smoke" the house, there is also the actual "smoke." The fire, the herb, the smoke. My house looks like a heavy fog just rolled in, and the smoke for me is something that has a magical quality in itself. Maybe I just like the visual, I don't know, but I would need the smoke and the fire - the fire being the serpent energy, the hooded flame, etc., that I don't thinnk can be replaced, and the smoke the manifestation of that "igniting" and transforming the herb. I do think philters and liquids have their uses, and I have used "cleansing" floor and furniture washes, but smoke is of the air, and it clears and cleans the air. I just don't know how I'd feel about relying on a mist that you couldn't really get heavy enough to permeate in, arounf, under, and through all of the items in your house...

M

#19 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for this info! I will definitely try it! My family is not very fond of the smell whenever I burn sage - this will help :)
Scarlet

#20 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

This is a great idea as I am in an apt complex and can't alway open the windows here.

I tried the EO method a while back with Eucalyptus EO and distilled water to clean my countertops. Even got out a stubborn red Kool-aid stain. This method works well for magical cleaning as well as just plain cleaning. :thumbsup: