Photo
- - - - -

Ever expirienced Possession?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ti_Metwes

Ti_Metwes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:26 AM

Hello Forum, how is everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has ever witnessed or expirienced Possession, in ritual or other. As some of you know i am a Witch but i am also an Houngan, a Priest of Haitian Vodoun. In my Tradition possession is seen as good and wanted. The ability to hold a spirit in your head is a sign of strength.

Sometimes i will take some Vodoun ideas and incorporate them into my Craft. When doing Witchcraft, which i call wanga, i often do it while in full possession of one of my spirits, Elizabeth. She ties the spell for me.

Does anyone else expirience this, or seen this done before?

HOungan Bryan :witchbroom:

#2 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

I have neither seen it or experienced it...It would be interesting to see though..
[URL="http://usamericanpolitics.ning.com/"][/URL]

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

I have not experienced it, although I have a dear friend who practices Santeria and they work the same way, the orishas come down and "ride" them. They, too view the possession as a good thing, not as en evil possession, so to speak. There are some u tube videos of the Voodoo possessions, although I can't say how authentic they are or are not; also, there is some animal sacrifice (normal for the particular right, is my understanding) so be aware of that it you're squeamish before you watch it. Your path sounds very interesting... :-) Do you work with spirits, ancestors, or specific gods that you are a priest of?

#4 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have not experienced it, although I have a dear friend who practices Santeria and they work the same way, the orishas come down and "ride" them. They, too view the possession as a good thing, not as en evil possession, so to speak. There are some u tube videos of the Voodoo possessions, although I can't say how authentic they are or are not; also, there is some animal sacrifice (normal for the particular right, is my understanding) so be aware of that it you're squeamish before you watch it. Your path sounds very interesting... :-) Do you work with spirits, ancestors, or specific gods that you are a priest of?

I agree your path sounds very interesting...I would love to hear more about it also..

#5 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hello Forum, how is everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has ever witnessed or expirienced Possession, in ritual or other. As some of you know i am a Witch but i am also an Houngan, a Priest of Haitian Vodoun. In my Tradition possession is seen as good and wanted. The ability to hold a spirit in your head is a sign of strength.

Sometimes i will take some Vodoun ideas and incorporate them into my Craft. When doing Witchcraft, which i call wanga, i often do it while in full possession of one of my spirits, Elizabeth. She ties the spell for me.

Does anyone else expirience this, or seen this done before?

HOungan Bryan :witchbroom:

I want to say yes here because I also incorporate some Voodoo/hoodoo (along with some Palo and Santeria) into my works as well.

In fact, as I type this let me change my answer to a flat yes.

Going back in my memories of when I would do my rituals and such...yes I believe my body had been taken over by a spirit.

And I am also with you that this isn't a bad thing as long as you can handle it well.

Also something I had practiced in my earlier years was "automatic art" where I sit down at a table with a hugee drawing pad and pen and mentally ask for one of my ancestors to come into me and show me what they want me to see through my art.

Damn, once I did that back in high school (Spanish class) and ended up drawing these huge freaky shaped arrows pointing all over the corners and such and a center point that looked like a bullseye mark in the center of my paper.

The teacher disturbed me in the middle of it by yanking the paper then sending me to the nurses office thinking I was on some damn drug or something (I didn't like her anyhow LOL).

Edited by AnjelWolf, 27 June 2009 - 03:25 PM.
typos LOL---several times LOL

#6 Ti_Metwes

Ti_Metwes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Yes as part of my practice i serve my ancestors and use them in rituals and magic. I also work with Familiar spirits and guides. In Santeria we view the Orishas as Demi-Gods, this November i will be initiated into the Mysteries of Yemaya in Matanzas Cuba. In my Vodoun path i serve Erzulie Freda and Ogu Badagris.

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

Yes as part of my practice i serve my ancestors and use them in rituals and magic. I also work with Familiar spirits and guides. In Santeria we view the Orishas as Demi-Gods, this November i will be initiated into the Mysteries of Yemaya in Matanzas Cuba. In my Vodoun path i serve Erzulie Freda and Ogu Badagris.

Oh how wonderful - congratualtions on your initiation! I do not know much of the Orishas, but Yemaya and her sister, Oshun, my friend has told me a bit about... I hope the experience is wonderful, exciting, and a greatly spiritual experience... very happy for you. :-)

Erzulie Freda Ihave heard of, but I am not familiar with Ogu Badagris.

As I have not had formal training with ancestors, my ancestor alter is set up from information I was able to garner from different sources here and there. A distant relative in England sent my mum a family tree going back to the 1700's and I'm very excited about it. I am in the process of emailing as many relatives as I can dig up (no pun intended, lol) to see if any one has any photos of the deceased that they could copy for me.

My alter I use the glass vessel of water, leave white rum, and have a white cloth covering it washed in fresh water and urine. I grow basil for my ancestors, and have heard of something to do with dipping the basil in water and sprinkling the alter... are you familliar with this practice, and do you know the meaning behind it???

#8 Ti_Metwes

Ti_Metwes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:45 AM

Oh how wonderful - congratualtions on your initiation! I do not know much of the Orishas, but Yemaya and her sister, Oshun, my friend has told me a bit about... I hope the experience is wonderful, exciting, and a greatly spiritual experience... very happy for you. :-)

Erzulie Freda Ihave heard of, but I am not familiar with Ogu Badagris.

As I have not had formal training with ancestors, my ancestor alter is set up from information I was able to garner from different sources here and there. A distant relative in England sent my mum a family tree going back to the 1700's and I'm very excited about it. I am in the process of emailing as many relatives as I can dig up (no pun intended, lol) to see if any one has any photos of the deceased that they could copy for me.

My alter I use the glass vessel of water, leave white rum, and have a white cloth covering it washed in fresh water and urine. I grow basil for my ancestors, and have heard of something to do with dipping the basil in water and sprinkling the alter... are you familliar with this practice, and do you know the meaning behind it???

Yes in the Caribbean we use a white table for our ancestors with the glass of water, or glasses, depending where you were taught. Basil is good for the ancestors, there are other plants that are said to attract the spirits, lavender, laurel, and a flower named Malpasifico which is a red flower with the little yellow antenas coming out of it. Sunflowers are also great to put on the ancestor altar. Water and urine.....i know of one person who tells people to pee all over everything her name is Manbo Racine, but thats her practice. In my Sosyete the use of urine is to 'cut' the flow of energies like if someone is throwing bad witchcraft at you, or if you are cursing someone yourself you would use pee, so to me it doesnt make sense to use it on an ancestral shrine, but hey if it works for you go for it!

But anyways this thread is supposed to be about possession.

I work the dead more than anything really. And the way i was taught was through a ritual called a Misa which is basically a "Spanish style seance." The job of the mediums is to cleanse the space and pull the spirits down using different songs and prayers, if done properly a current with begin to form and the medium in charge must be able to 'read' that current so s/he knows which spirits or group of spirits are manifesting. Usually one or more the mediums will become 'mounted' by the Spirit.

i know this is a Witchcraft forum so forgive me if i am going off topic, if im talking shit feel free to tell me to shut up lol. To me in my expirience every Witch does some sort of ancestral working, so im just sharing mine, i just happen to come from a different culture where we do all sorts of crazy shit lol!

Bryan

#9 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

Just to add a counter view... I have seen possession, though not in a necessarily voluntary situation. Once in a woman a friend was dating.Also in my exH. I don't believe either case was something they consciously asked for, though subconscious is another story.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -- Catherine Aird

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

Yes in the Caribbean we use a white table for our ancestors with the glass of water, or glasses, depending where you were taught. Basil is good for the ancestors, there are other plants that are said to attract the spirits, lavender, laurel, and a flower named Malpasifico which is a red flower with the little yellow antenas coming out of it. Sunflowers are also great to put on the ancestor altar. Water and urine.....i know of one person who tells people to pee all over everything her name is Manbo Racine, but thats her practice. In my Sosyete the use of urine is to 'cut' the flow of energies like if someone is throwing bad witchcraft at you, or if you are cursing someone yourself you would use pee, so to me it doesnt make sense to use it on an ancestral shrine, but hey if it works for you go for it!

I work the dead more than anything really. And the way i was taught was through a ritual called a Misa which is basically a "Spanish style seance." The job of the mediums is to cleanse the space and pull the spirits down using different songs and prayers, if done properly a current with begin to form and the medium in charge must be able to 'read' that current so s/he knows which spirits or group of spirits are manifesting. Usually one or more the mediums will become 'mounted' by the Spirit.

i know this is a Witchcraft forum so forgive me if i am going off topic, if im talking shit feel free to tell me to shut up lol. To me in my expirience every Witch does some sort of ancestral working, so im just sharing mine, i just happen to come from a different culture where we do all sorts of crazy shit lol!

Bryan

Interesting the two uses of urine - the one I had read so theyhave your "essence" on the alter and the use of urines to cut the flow of energies... I wonder if the two corrorlate somehow, as I know witches that will add their own urine to a curse. I mean, logically, one's ancestors should be able to find you, pee on alter or not, lol. As I said, I have no training in particular in ancestors, so am just going with bits and bobs I've managed to pick-up here and there. The actual cutting of a flow of energy, I find interesting as I had not heard it put that way before (as in explaining WHY) only that you should add it to certain spells. Being a logical person, I always like to have the explaination - I've never been good at doing something simply because I was told too! ;-)

The sensing of the specific groups of spirits... I have heard that certian gods (Santeria and Voodoo/Hoodoo) and specific "movements" and "dances" and that as they mount the (I think they referred to the one being ridden as a "horse," but don't quote me) person he/she will start doing these specific dances. Do you find you have memory of what happens, or does someone have to tell you afterwards?

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

P.S. - as far as this being a witchcraft forum - I think it would be okay to talk about anything of or having to do with the occult, nature, and/or the esoteric... I mean, there are magic-only witches, religious witches, gnostic witches, occultist witches, spiritial witches, god-working witches, ceremonial witches.... the list goes on.... I think Voodoo/Hoodoo and Santeria fit in just fine as interesting and worthy topics for a witchcraft forum :-)

#12 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

P.S. - as far as this being a witchcraft forum - I think it would be okay to talk about anything of or having to do with the occult, nature, and/or the esoteric... I mean, there are magic-only witches, religious witches, gnostic witches, occultist witches, spiritial witches, god-working witches, ceremonial witches.... the list goes on.... I think Voodoo/Hoodoo and Santeria fit in just fine as interesting and worthy topics for a witchcraft forum :-)

I second that... :)

#13 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

Bryan

Bryan, I find this very interesting, as I also use this style in an extent in my own rituals and practices.

Working with ancestors is often a key factor with many trad witches.

#14 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

I second that... :)

I third it lmao but honestly I agree totally.

#15 Ti_Metwes

Ti_Metwes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Interesting the two uses of urine - the one I had read so theyhave your "essence" on the alter and the use of urines to cut the flow of energies... I wonder if the two corrorlate somehow, as I know witches that will add their own urine to a curse. I mean, logically, one's ancestors should be able to find you, pee on alter or not, lol. As I said, I have no training in particular in ancestors, so am just going with bits and bobs I've managed to pick-up here and there. The actual cutting of a flow of energy, I find interesting as I had not heard it put that way before (as in explaining WHY) only that you should add it to certain spells. Being a logical person, I always like to have the explaination - I've never been good at doing something simply because I was told too! ;-)

The sensing of the specific groups of spirits... I have heard that certian gods (Santeria and Voodoo/Hoodoo) and specific "movements" and "dances" and that as they mount the (I think they referred to the one being ridden as a "horse," but don't quote me) person he/she will start doing these specific dances. Do you find you have memory of what happens, or does someone have to tell you afterwards?

You can pee all over your house or not but the ancestors will be there regardless, this is because in our belief the ancestors live in the blood, we carry their genetics and DNA inside of us, they are connected to us no matter what, pee or not.

Yes when the Lwa or Orisha possess they have a specific dance, but what i was referring to was the groups of spirits worked in a Misa which are neither Orisha nor Lwa, but ancestral spirits. If you are truley mounted you will not have any memory as the spirit takes over completly.

Houngan Bryan

#16 Redd

Redd

Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

legitimately...it was kind of an accident...

First semester I ended up hooking up with my RA. BAD decision because sober, I couldn't stand him...yep, one of those.

He thinks he knows so much about the occult and such (mostly tarot, ouija, and runes) but in fact he talks in circles and makes no points.

Anyhow, for one of his hall programs he decided to have a seance. This was a farce. He had a glass as the focus and was clearly moving it himself in response to the questions posed. The spirit standing in the corner was even laughing at him. My residence hall was haunted and had been built on top of a family graveyard.

Well, the spirit must have gotten bored and it knew that I sensed it so it was edging closer to our circle and I just kind of let it know "if you wanna jump on him, be my guest. just stay away from me and mine". So, it possessed my RA.

I didn't actually know this until after Thanksgiving break when a friend of mine told me that Keith went home and his sister (who is Wiccan) told him he was possessed. They did an exorcism. And his sister legitimately asked him "Why did Andy curse you?". He hadn't mentioned me at all, as he didn't even know I was a witch and we hadn't even really talked or anything since the beginning of the semester. He quit his position. And told the new RA that I put spells on people.

Anyways, thats my one real experience with possession. Apparently I caused it, but I blame Keith for not knowing how to protect himself (i.e. not being stoned during a seance) if he's gonna play with what he can't see.

-Andy

Powers of the Witches rise, course unseen across the skies. Through blackest night and brightest day, I call you now to come my way.

#17 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

In quick reference to "bad" possesssions, I think it's very telling that only devout christians ever seem to be the only ones to get "demoniacally possessed".
In other words, they act that way because they simply believe they are possessed by a "demon", or, the entity is real but they believe that it is "evil" because of their bias and thus they must act accordingly.

I also have a distant friend who is a houngan, but he's never told me about possessions, per se. He gave me a bit of an education on the loa, that's about it.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#18 Branred

Branred

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

Hi all.

Just wanted to say that yes, I have experienced possession on several occasions. Normally I would invite or entice a spirit to join with me, this would normally be a deity/spirit I wish to work with, or a spirit I just wish to spend time with.
I make it a rule only to do this only when other people are present.
I do prefer for others to allow possession of themselves rather than me. One reason for this is that I prefer to be in control, this can be very difficult and sometimes impossible with strong spirits.
Secondly I like to be available to perform a banishing or separation if needed.
I would definitely advise everyone to be open for possession at some stage, as it will create a life long link between you and the Otherworld that you will be able to draw on at anytime.

However I would stress a very real need for caution, take guidance from others on the subject and never attempt from a solitary standpoint.

Branred.

#19 StarChilde

StarChilde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

I know little to nothing about these particular paths but I am finding this incredibly fascinating.

I see spirits, (of various types) but have never used possession in my practice. I do practice some ancestor work in my path, but I don't have an altar for them.

So many similarities and so many differences ... make for a wonderful world.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should