- - - - -

A Hoodoo Divination method

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

As a Traditional witch, we use whatever is at hand for our spells and divination work. Here is one Hoodoo practice that I have incorporated into my divination work.

One of the practices of diviniation that I have found useful in my Hoodoo practice is known as Bibliomancy. Bibliomancy literally means "divination by means of a book." You can use any book of signifigance to you.

The answer to a specific question can be discovered via a form of Bibliomancy that is also called Bibliomantic Cleidomancy.

Cleidomancy means "divination by means of a key," and in cleidomancy proper, a simple suspended key is used for answering yes-or-no questions. Bibliomantic cleidomancy combines the key with thea "holy" book.

In this method of discovering the answer to a question, a large, old-fashioned skeleton key is inserted into the book with the top loop of the key protruding from the top of the pages. The book is closed and tightly wrapped with black silk ribbon, after which the portion of the key which protrudes is grasped, often by two people, each using only their little fingers to support the key. The book is then delicately suspended by the key and the question and desired answer are slowly recited.. The book will react if the correct answer is called. It may turn on the key or drop from the holders' fingers, or the key may slide out of the book.

If no reaction is found, the question and desired answer is read a second time, and then a third time. If the book makes no response, even after three readings of the desired answer, the method is set aside, and it is said that "it gave no signs" in this case.

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:41 AM

Very interesting... I'd try it but I have no idea where to find a skeloten key.... are they still around? I have a decorative one on my wall, but it's giant and made of heavy iron...

#3 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:17 AM

I find them all the time in garage sales and estate sales. They are still around. I have one on my key chain that my dad found while digging his garden many years ago.
It's been cleansed and targeted as protection when I am in my car.

#4 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:39 PM

Interesting, ZenDraegan! I've been dabbling a bit in Hoodoo lately and perhaps I'll check this method out. Other than Tarot, I haven't tried any other methods though...
Oh, and about skeleton keys, I'm sure you could find some at antique shops. I have a ton of great antique shops in my town, so I'll be checking out those soon!

#5 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

You can still buy the keys at most hardware stores, at least around here. I actually have 1 in my backdoor still tho only the deadbolt is used and our cottage in Northern Wisconsin, all the doors still use them.

I may give this a try using the backdoor key!!! It sounds interesting.

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#6 celeste

celeste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

Very interesting. The first time I heard anything about bibliomancy was in the movie Running with Scissors, when they use the bible to see what to have for diner. heheh. So, they used the bible... I'm wondering what book I would use if I tried this out. Would you care to share with us what kind of book you use, Zen Draegan? I suppose I could use the bible like they do, but seeing as I'm not Christian, just wouldn't make much sense... But I do own both a bible and Book of Mormon lol. Maybe a dictionary? Just trying to get an idea...

And yeah, those keys are definately still around. I have a small hobbie of collecting them, actually. I love hitting the antique stores of where I travel to see what I can find.

#7 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

Very cool! I love this idea!
[URL="http://usamericanpolitics.ning.com/"][/URL]

#8 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

The idea is to use a book that YOU consider to be holy. May be a grimoire, A Bible (As used in Hoodoo), a Qur'an, A BOS, I Ching, Book of Mormon, Etc. Hell, You can use a photo album with pictures of your deceased ancestors for guidence by them. I often use the latter method but at times I use the bible as well. Hoodoo is still a LARGE part of my life. I hope this helps. And I really am enjoying the feedback. Thanks all of you.

#9 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

Interesting, ZenDraegan! I've been dabbling a bit in Hoodoo lately and perhaps I'll check this method out. Other than Tarot, I haven't tried any other methods though...
Oh, and about skeleton keys, I'm sure you could find some at antique shops. I have a ton of great antique shops in my town, so I'll be checking out those soon!

If there is anything I can help you with in your Hoodoo dabbles :lalala:feel free to shoot me a message.

#10 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

Very interesting. I too incorporate a bit of Hoodoo in my workings. Funny you should mention the skeleton key, that is top on my list to look for at garage/estate sales. I prefer an old one myself because of the history it holds. If I run across very many of them, will post them to share. :)

#11 ProphetOfSouls

ProphetOfSouls

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

Love this idea!

#12 Zoe

Zoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

How interesting I'd love to find a skeleton key and try this.

"My, what beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look, this one's late. But I'll bet that when it blooms, it will be the most beautiful of all."

Posted Image

#13 Blacksmith

Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

I use bibliomancy often for myself. I use the Bible, but I also use books on Kabbalah, and, believe it or not I get good results from the Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. II. Skeleton keys can be found on Etsy, antique shops, garage sales, eBay, and many other places.

#14 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

I do this often with my Grimoire, as I have a skeleton key which opens the door to my work room. I think my Great Grandmother picked up the practice from one of the farmhands that lived near her home when she was a young girl.

#15 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

Skeleton keys are cool things. I've done some " Locking Down " charms with regular old discarded keys, but the idea of using a key of that nature, has really got me grinning .:mdance:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#16 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Bumping this thread for reasons I hope are obvious from reading the original post.

#17 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

I often use bibliomancy. My Mamaw here in the mountains did it, as did most of the "old folks". I remember numerous times someone talking about a problem they were having, and someone would say grab that bible and open it up and point to a verse without looking, and that'd be your answer.
And sure enough 9 times out of 10 the person would get an answer to their problem.

Now I know the method that ZenDragon described is a bit different as his version you actually put the key in the book and wrap the cord around the book then suspend the book and ask a question. Then the book moves when you come upon the right solution.
I have not tried that type of bibliomancy with a key.

I have suspended a key over the family bible like a pendulum and asked my question, closed my eyes and opened the bible to wherever and then let the key swing back and forth and up and down as I lowered the key until it touched the paper. Then I will look and see what verse the key is pointing to.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery