The Roots of Witchcraft

Mountain Witch

Michael Harrison © 1973

SBN 426-15851-2

Don't buy it! It's a trick! Well, OK, it's sort of interesting but ... While well footnoted, I wish there'd been about twice as many to explain just where he came up with some of his "facts". As always, his book is based on witchcraft being a religion, not a craft - even cites Gardner a couple of times.

The only truly interesting stuff is his tracing the "Old Religion" back to what he terms a "Fertility Cult". THAT I can see but it's nothing that hasn't been posited before. The rest of it is tripe, basing much of his supposition on what came out of the hysteria of the Inquisition.

I'm always interested in history (especially anything on herbs and/or witchcraft) and paid US$20 for an originally 50p paperback book. Had I only spent about $5, I probably wouldn't be as irritated.

If you want to read it just to read it, PM me and I'll send it to you. Don't bother spending your own hard-earned cash.

(BTW, he says witchcraft is basically a dead religion.)

Michael Harrison © 1973

SBN 426-15851-2

Don't buy it! It's a trick! Well, OK, it's sort of interesting but ... While well footnoted, I wish there'd been about twice as many to explain just where he came up with some of his "facts". As always, his book is based on witchcraft being a religion, not a craft - even cites Gardner a couple of times.

The only truly interesting stuff is his tracing the "Old Religion" back to what he terms a "Fertility Cult". THAT I can see but it's nothing that hasn't been posited before. The rest of it is tripe, basing much of his supposition on what came out of the hysteria of the Inquisition.

I'm always interested in history (especially anything on herbs and/or witchcraft) and paid US$20 for an originally 50p paperback book. Had I only spent about $5, I probably wouldn't be as irritated.

If you want to read it just to read it, PM me and I'll send it to you. Don't bother spending your own hard-earned cash.

(BTW, he says witchcraft is basically a dead religion.)

MW if you say its tripe I believe. I've gotten very very picky lately bout what I buy. & if you're this outraged. I believe.

(Dead Religion?) Haha...

Funny.

Sapphire