magic workers

owlblink

thought this might be of interest, from new book im reading, 'essential asatru' (norse paganism):-

... where we must do with 'magic', or 'witchcraft', old English magical terms included 'scinn-craeft' or 'galdor-craeft' for spellwork, 'wicce-craeft' (witchery), 'lyb-craeft' (drug based witchery), 'wigle' (divination), 'bealo-craeft' (dark arts) and 'tungol-craeft' (astrology).

The term 'volva' was a prophetess, sibyl, or wisewoman, and 'thul' for a sage or bard. A woman who practiced magic was called a 'seidhkona' or 'spakona', and a male practitioner a 'seidhmadhr' or 'spamadhrmadhr'. A 'vitki' or 'witiga' meant wizard. To 'vitka' means to bewitch, whilst a rune reader was a 'runa-meistari'. Those who mastered the spirits were called 'trollkjerring' and one who was skilled in the dark arts was a 'ffolkunning', meaning cunning man.

Also:-

Val-galdr - to wake the dead to learn from them (by verbal summoning or carving runes in alder and placing it under the tongue of a corpse

Gro-galdr - A conjuration formula to compell a spirit to answer

Natt-galdr - night singing, to call night spirits

Lirla-galdr - Music sung to enduce sleep

Nid - spells to curse or invoke spirits to attack an enemy, often a pole carved with runes.

PHEW!

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings OB

Yup it is always interesting to see other languages and think. Especially these ones and witchcraft as we tend generally to experience or think of it.

For myself I have always held that the wicce craft and some of the views of honour as opposed to witchcraft (as we might define it) from some phases of that culture are an interesting modifier in the investigation onto the use of the word wicca and witch in english. I also found it interesting as it tended also to confirm a story I was taught way back when I started that had nothing to substantiate it at the time.

hence when I first came across that gender orientation and considered it culturally it shed light on it I hadn't known about.

It is of course interesting also as in the line to which I belong we have a talismanic square of sorts which has the word volva in it which has a particular usage that is rendered intriguing given the moral ambivalence of some of the people who put it together and continued it's use so to speak.

Subsisto

Scott