- - - - -

What connects us on this path?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

Do you Americans or Australians feel like you need to have a connection with other countries to be witches?

I do not feel the "need" for that. The only reason I do feel a connection to other countries is because I feel I have lived there in a past life, not so much that my ancestors came from there.

#42 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

A connection....I think us trad witches are connected, not meaning by land. But common denominators. Think about it....Here is a list I have compiled...

Since joining TW, I see we all have some traits in common:

We are or have:

1. Powerful inner Strength
2. Independence
3. Tenacious
4. Outspoken
5. Responsible
6. Open minded
7. Self reliant
8. Courageous
9. Compassionate
10. Moral codes

And...not to mention the greatest of all "intentions"....lol. That may not be all and not necessarily in that order, but it is the ones I have noticed we all have in common as trad witches. Not to mention we do what we have to do and use the tools we have at hand in order to get the job done! So, in this sense, we are connected.

What do you think???

Edited by Lea, 18 April 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#43 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

Fuckin hell...wow! lol thanks Lea! :)

You are very welcome! :)

#44 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Do you Americans or Australians feel like you need to have a connection with other countries to be witches? I don't think that it is a need to have a connection with other countries to be witches. Who wouldn't want to be associated with Englands/Irelands/Scotlands rich, romantic, beautiful, if not sometimes tragic history? Even more so if it is your heritage.

When I realized what I was back as a young teen, the only thing I remember that I connected to was the land - nature, animals, etc.

I have French/Canadian, English, and Chippewa Indian in me (that I am aware of), but my Grandparents (adopted) were Polish and they always said that they brought the old country with them when they came here.
I think that when I got older and looked into wicca and read books on it, it was their romantic desire (IMO) to be part of history over the pond, like it gave them permission to be a witch and that you need to connect to this part of your past.

I totally understand where some people are connected to their ancestors historical lands, there is much energy there and many feel "at home" there.

For me,
I have never had a great desire or a connection to move or visit a certain place because of my heritage. My connection is here in America and its mine history on this land that I am making.

I am not sure what our connection is with each other or just being a witch is, maybe its our relationship to the earth, and how we naturally work with what we have around us to make things happen that connect us.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#45 Anya

Anya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

I know we all have our own play on what walking the Trad path means to us. Personaly I find my connection inseperable from the ancient past of the Island of Eire and these British Isles on which I live, not so much about 'trying' to reconstruct the past, but more so opening up to the memory of it.
I remember waking up to this memory conciously at 14, when I first projected astrally, I travelled through grand halls and temples, then I found myself in the distant past, I found myself flying high above these ancient lands, I recall how everything was so green there were no modern roads and could see a great body of people a Tribe or Clan below me and on the move and at the head carrying a standard bearing the skull of an animal with great horns attached, I remember being noticed as I flew overhead..Why Im sharing this is that it woke me up to my ancestors and the ancient Land, the same resonance I experience when I gaze upon Stonehenge or avebury. I dont pray to or worship Pagan Deities, but I do sometimes talk with and pray to an Ancient power that existed long before Humanity was but a twinkling in the milkmans eye..

Its amazing how we all identify with TW but can be so differing in what that means to each one of us.
There are many here who would say you can be any religion and none and be a Witch..this is true and I agree.. some say that your a Witch if you practise Witchcraft, yet again I would agree.. to me the path of Witchcraft is deep rooted in my connection to my ancestors and the Land on which I stand..What Im throwing out there for discussion is this...

Is there a certain standard that we all agree on that connects us under the same banner?
Or are there TW who although under the same banner dont feel connected?
Is the connection to the past important to you? and if so what era?
Or is being a Witch to you not about a connection to the past but more about being free of religion or dogma?

Im really interested not only in what connects us here but even more so in our differences..

Personally it is the Land on which I stand that connects me as a Witch..But the Craft is what connects me to other Witches..

Im interested to hear how an American or Australian for example connect with the land.. Is it with the Land you live on or your Ancestral land from which your ancestors migrated if they were not indigenous..

And finally is the craft what connects you as a Witch or is it something else?
If it isnt the craft, then what is it? If you stopped practising the craft would you still connect with being a witch and the land as a witch? If so how or why?

Is there more to being a Witch than just Witchcraft? If so what is it?

Cheers..

Oak

My connection to the path relates to the land in general, more so when it comes to the country side, surrounded by trees and wild plants, farms and the likes. I experience a strong resonance from celtic history, poetry and such, which isn't mandatory strange, since there were celts in Portugal in the past. I feel misplaced when I am in the city. I keep seeing this clear in the woods, though i am sure I've never seen it in this lifetime (not yet, anyways). But I digress.

I'd say the connection to the past is important to me, but I'd add that it is also my connection with Nature (I feel part of it and view animals and plants, the planet itself, etc as being as important as I am and not below me - I hope this makes sense, as I find it hard to explain it) that makes me a Witch.

I feel that I connect to other Witches through the Craft (or Crafts, as there are so many variations).

#46 Sabedora

Sabedora

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

Anya - you say that 'there were celts in Portugal in the past'. I moved here from Wales, which is about as celtic as you can get, and I can assure you that there are celts living in Portugal still. Some of the people here are so obviously of the same 'blood' as some of Welsh people I knew that I half expect them to start talking Welsh to me instead of Portuguese. Many of the words are the same, especially in pronounciation, though the spelling is often very different. I think the celts basically got pushed westwards as far as the Atlantic ocean and survive best in places like Ireland, Wales, Cornwall and Portugal, but for some reason Portugal seems to have been all but forgotten when people think of the celts.

I would *love* to be able to research more silimarities, and learn about the history of witchcraft in Portugal. There's a new shop opened in the city with lots of witchy stuff in it including a book called 'Bruxas Verdades' (real witches). I've a feeling it's mostly about Brazilian witchcraft, but I think I'm going to go and have another look at it next weekend. I might treat myself...

#47 Anya

Anya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

What words would you say are similar to Welsh? In what sense?

Do you mean this book? Definitely Brazilian.

You won't find many books on anything resembling Witchcraft in Portuguese, unless it is Brazilian or just Wicca-related or both.
Regarding Witchcraft in Portugal, you'll find many claiming to be Witches and to be able to turn water into gold. Too bad they can't turn their words into actions and actually make it happen. Bunch of wannabes and scumbags trying to leech off gullible people. Rant over. :lolol:

I think that Portuguese people are all too afraid of going against the church and going to hell. But I know a few closet witches. My grandmother from my mother's side will use water and olive oil to take the "mau-olhado" (evil eye) and a friend of the family will use red-hot coal and water for that purpose as well. My mother is very good at reading people and divination (mostly through dreams and "gut feelings"). That sort of thing.

#48 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

Id be really interested to hear what words are welsh origin too.. I dont speak portugese but I do speak Spanish, and have family in Badajoz in Spain which is on the border of Portugal, so I have had the pleasure of crossing into that wonderful country a few times.. Id agree bout the Churches hold on the peoples psyche, with Fatima and the Apparitions, but right under their nose people are practising sympathetic magick, dont know if you have been to Fatima sabe or anya but I remember (and i may have said this before) But one thing I remember was seeing cues of people lining up with wax effigies of arms, legs, hands etc..representin the area of the body affected with illness or discease and throwing them into a massive fire pit to burn the illness up..amazing sight

#49 Sabedora

Sabedora

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, that was the book. If it's purely Brazilian it's not worth my while getting it...

Now, welsh/portuguese words. Hmm, this is going to be tricky.

Chair is (hope my spelling is ok) cadeira in portugese, cadair in welsh.
Soup/stew is caldo in portuguese, cawl in Welsh - the pronounciation is almost identical if you just drop the 'do' in caldo.

There are loads of others but I suspect a lot of them are latin origin, not celtic, like pont = bridge, pasqua/pasc = easter, but there are some like cao/ci = dog and estrume/dom = manure, which are similar enough to suggest they were originally the same word.

Also there seem to be regional variations in spelling (traz to tras) for instance which is very similar to the way the welsh mutate word endings (p to b, c to g, b to f).

I just googled this too, which seems to suggest a link between welsh and portuguese celts.

http://www.megalithi...?sid=2146413465

In the bit where I live, I haven't met *anyone* claiming to be anything like a witch, and very very few that don't claim to be catholic. Like you said, they seem to be too afraid to go against the church. But I had to laugh at a poster I saw last week - it was supposed to be advertising a soup festival and it showed a silhouette of what looked *exactly* like a witch stirring her cauldron, less the pointy hat. There is no doubt in my mind that the fairytale image of a traditional witch is based on the habits of the local old women! In fact, when I treated myself to a nice black shawl and tried it on to see what my family thought of my 'new look' they just said that I looked like Maria from next door. She even keeps a broomstick outside her front door! :witchbroom:

Their herbal knowledge is excellent too. If I bring a bag of 'weeds' back to give to the chickens, the neighbours will rummage through it and tell me what to put in the soup and what to give to the chickens, and if I ask them the name of a plant they will explain all it's uses at great length but never offer any name for it. I'm sure there's a wealth of information locked away in those old heads but I'm not sure how to get it out of them...:cry_witch:

#50 Anya

Anya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Id be really interested to hear what words are welsh origin too.. I dont speak portugese but I do speak Spanish, and have family in Badajoz in Spain which is on the border of Portugal, so I have had the pleasure of crossing into that wonderful country a few times.. Id agree bout the Churches hold on the peoples psyche, with Fatima and the Apparitions, but right under their nose people are practising sympathetic magick, dont know if you have been to Fatima sabe or anya but I remember (and i may have said this before) But one thing I remember was seeing cues of people lining up with wax effigies of arms, legs, hands etc..representin the area of the body affected with illness or discease and throwing them into a massive fire pit to burn the illness up..amazing sight

I know what you mean, Oak. I've been there when I was younger. They will do it with the church's acceptance, since they are the ones selling those items, along with rosaries with earth from that place. Kind of makes us wonder, doesn't it?
Also, my grandfather from my mother's side was born in Torre, a small village near Fátima.

Yeah, that was the book. If it's purely Brazilian it's not worth my while getting it...

Now, welsh/portuguese words. Hmm, this is going to be tricky.

Chair is (hope my spelling is ok) cadeira in portugese, cadair in welsh.
Soup/stew is caldo in portuguese, cawl in Welsh - the pronounciation is almost identical if you just drop the 'do' in caldo.

There are loads of others but I suspect a lot of them are latin origin, not celtic, like pont = bridge, pasqua/pasc = easter, but there are some like cao/ci = dog and estrume/dom = manure, which are similar enough to suggest they were originally the same word.

Also there seem to be regional variations in spelling (traz to tras) for instance which is very similar to the way the welsh mutate word endings (p to b, c to g, b to f).

I just googled this too, which seems to suggest a link between welsh and portuguese celts.

http://www.megalithi...?sid=2146413465

I want to learn Welsh, now. Among many other things. :loving:It's really cool to find a common ground with both our languages.

In the bit where I live, I haven't met *anyone* claiming to be anything like a witch, and very very few that don't claim to be catholic. Like you said, they seem to be too afraid to go against the church. But I had to laugh at a poster I saw last week - it was supposed to be advertising a soup festival and it showed a silhouette of what looked *exactly* like a witch stirring her cauldron, less the pointy hat. There is no doubt in my mind that the fairytale image of a traditional witch is based on the habits of the local old women! In fact, when I treated myself to a nice black shawl and tried it on to see what my family thought of my 'new look' they just said that I looked like Maria from next door. She even keeps a broomstick outside her front door! :witchbroom:

Their herbal knowledge is excellent too. If I bring a bag of 'weeds' back to give to the chickens, the neighbours will rummage through it and tell me what to put in the soup and what to give to the chickens, and if I ask them the name of a plant they will explain all it's uses at great length but never offer any name for it. I'm sure there's a wealth of information locked away in those old heads but I'm not sure how to get it out of them...:cry_witch:

Between 300 years of Inquisition and 30 years of Salazar (dictators are all around), no wonder the church still has so more power around here. I'm glad it's not as much as it used to, though.

I know what you mean about the herbal knowledge. I feel the same way. Although I spend every chance I get in the countryside, most of my life has been spent in the city, where you can't exactly access that kind of knowledge. For the soup, I wonder if the herbs were "nabiças". They make a hell of a tasty soup.

I will do my best to take the information out of them (not in a violent way. lol) and share it with you (and whomever might want a piece of it as well). :wink:

#51 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

I know this is an older post but I really wanted to share my ideas on the matter.

I like the idea of Sacred Landscapes, I think that this is something that connects me to my path, because it is as much apart of me as say, my hand or my nose. It is an extension of myself.
I think something that is interesting is those of us who are bi-racial. We feel called to our ancestors and called to connect with the sacred land, but which land, which ancestors do we answer?

My mother is Afro-Caribbean and my father is Icelandic/Brythonic, for those of us who no longer live in communities surrounded by the land of our ancestors how do we connect? For me it involved retracing the steps of my forefathers (and mothers) and becoming in tune with their journey and the journey that brought me here today. I feel connected to the ancient landscape of the British Isles because this is the land that feels the most alive to me, the land that is offering up its secrets. However it is my mothers ancestors who tell me about the Craft they practiced long before and of their land and their journey, I also connect to the land that I live on because it was the journey of the Ancestors that brought me forth and here now, I can feel the memories and the clanship of my Family in the land itself.

In response to the question on whether I feel that practicing the craft connects me as a Witch I don't feel that it does, I am a Witch because my Wyrd has made it thus, if I practiced the Craft or not...I am on this path and at these doors because the web of wyrd fashioned it so.

I am one of the Pagan Witches in that I honor the Horned God of the Wild Hunt and the Old Dame, I feel that my particular Witchcraft is a Mystery Tradition, so beyond the sense of "Operative Witchcraft" lies the wisdom and personal gnosis ingrained in truth, and I feel that is what connects me to my path.

#52 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:04 AM

I know this is an older post but I really wanted to share my ideas on the matter.

I like the idea of Sacred Landscapes, I think that this is something that connects me to my path, because it is as much apart of me as say, my hand or my nose. It is an extension of myself.
I think something that is interesting is those of us who are bi-racial. We feel called to our ancestors and called to connect with the sacred land, but which land, which ancestors do we answer?

My mother is Afro-Caribbean and my father is Icelandic/Brythonic, for those of us who no longer live in communities surrounded by the land of our ancestors how do we connect? For me it involved retracing the steps of my forefathers (and mothers) and becoming in tune with their journey and the journey that brought me here today. I feel connected to the ancient landscape of the British Isles because this is the land that feels the most alive to me, the land that is offering up its secrets. However it is my mothers ancestors who tell me about the Craft they practiced long before and of their land and their journey, I also connect to the land that I live on because it was the journey of the Ancestors that brought me forth and here now, I can feel the memories and the clanship of my Family in the land itself.

In response to the question on whether I feel that practicing the craft connects me as a Witch I don't feel that it does, I am a Witch because my Wyrd has made it thus, if I practiced the Craft or not...I am on this path and at these doors because the web of wyrd fashioned it so.

I am one of the Pagan Witches in that I honor the Horned God of the Wild Hunt and the Old Dame, I feel that my particular Witchcraft is a Mystery Tradition, so beyond the sense of "Operative Witchcraft" lies the wisdom and personal gnosis ingrained in truth, and I feel that is what connects me to my path.

Lovely to see the subject of wyrd brought up here, I too believe in wyrd, opposed to karma.

#53 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Do you Americans or Australians feel like you need to have a connection with other countries to be witches?

I can only speak for myself, but no. Definitely not. :)

However, with USA being a relatively new country and the fact that non Native Americans here all came from elsewhere, it makes sense if you believe in ancestral memories attached to blood that American witches would feel a connection with other countries. There's also the uncomfortable fact that sometimes the more sensitive people experience feelings of guilt by association over the way that this land was taken from the Native Americans and the fact that so many still live on reservations.

I know much of this can apply to other countries too, just trying to provide a perspective on why so many American witches might tend to feel a connection with countries other than their own.

I do have a deep connection to the land I was born on, all land is ancient and there's much magic here. But I have memories of places I've never physically been also, and I intend to go experience those places some day.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#54 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

I can only speak for myself, but no. Definitely not. :)

However, with USA being a relatively new country and the fact that non Native Americans here all came from elsewhere, it makes sense if you believe in ancestral memories attached to blood that American witches would feel a connection with other countries. There's also the uncomfortable fact that sometimes the more sensitive people experience feelings of guilt by association over the way that this land was taken from the Native Americans and the fact that so many still live on reservations.

I know much of this can apply to other countries too, just trying to provide a perspective on why so many American witches might tend to feel a connection with countries other than their own.

I do have a deep connection to the land I was born on, all land is ancient and there's much magic here. But I have memories of places I've never physically been also, and I intend to go experience those places some day.

In reading through all the posts here it is obvious that there is no one criteria with which to answer OakBuchannan.

Aloe has touched on something here though that needs furthering. Non-Native Americans, by descent or arrival, have diverse backgrounds and ancestors so their attachments surely will be not of the place. Take my home country of the UK, with so many varying links to the peoples who make up the population due to invasions and occupation who can tell WHAT blood-lines any may share! Celts, Picts, Scots were there when Romans, Gauls, Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Vikings(all varieties) Bretons, Goths, Tutons, Moors, Navarres and on and on all planted their seed there. So at what point do we say "this is my tradition/heritage" ?

I have a very strong pull from both ancient Etruria and Scotland, does this mean that either or both of these places are linked to my prior lives? And the feel of spirit is strong in a few places i have traversed over the years, is this an indicator of prior associations?

I do not have any answers, my inner search has proven fruitless thus far but I still savour the path of finding the mysteries.

Great topic, thought provoking responses...

FFFF
Elf

#55 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Is there a certain standard that we all agree on that connects us under the same banner?

I think there may be.. but as soon as a group of witches tries to verbalize that standard the limits of language would most likely cause confusion. lol, that sounds like a cop out but that's what I really think... The standard may exist, but is probably more likely felt than spoken and agreed on.

Or are there TW who although under the same banner dont feel connected?

Its possible, but as I do feel connected to other TW's, I couldn't say.

Is the connection to the past important to you? and if so what era?

It is. I couldn't choose one era though, there are many that resonate with me.

Or is being a Witch to you not about a connection to the past but more about being free of religion or dogma?

This part is important to me too. Taking personal responsibility and knowing that my actions are my own, chosen by me, based on my decisions, and not done out of fear or the need to fit a criteria. Important, but not the whole picture IMO.

Im interested to hear how an American or Australian for example connect with the land.. Is it with the Land you live on or your Ancestral land from which your ancestors migrated if they were not indigenous..

The land I was born on speaks to me. I spent most of my time outdoors as a child since I wasn't in a regular school environment, and I developed an intense connection with the land here. I have memories of other places though, that I'd like to explore too.

And finally is the craft what connects you as a Witch or is it something else?

I believe I've always been a witch, before I consciously started practicing the craft, so I would say something else..

If it isnt the craft, then what is it? If you stopped practising the craft would you still connect with being a witch and the land as a witch? If so how or why?

The ability to feel connections, energy, spirits, etc. is what I believe connects me to the land as a witch. Perhaps this ability is something that can be learned, I don't know, but I've had it as long as I can remember. I did attempt to stop practicing the craft once, and this ability did not go away, and in a way I never stopped practicing because in trying to stop, I was continually blocking this ability - and actively blocking could technically be considered still practicing... (that sentence seems circular, hope it makes sense lol)

Is there more to being a Witch than just Witchcraft? If so what is it?

I believe its the same ability I referred to above.

Whew.. off to make more coffee!!

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#56 barefoot tabby

barefoot tabby

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Well, ignoring the fact that we are connected to everything, to all land... um, no. I've never felt connected to this place, not on a personal level. Don't get me wrong; I do love this land and have fond memories of roaming the countryside, but it just doesn't feel as though this place is mine. I have always known where I would feel especially connected; I've just never been there before.
It's strange. When I was four or five, my grandfather was talking, and he said something about Alaska. All I heard was that - Alaska. Since then I've known, I need to be there. I feel content just thinking about it. I feel there is a little place in me that is empty because I am not there. But I'm working on it...

dreamscaper...

#57 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

I don't connect with where I live, there is always something missing. I don't know where my connection lays.

The Victorian era resonates with me and some others, can't think at the moment, will come back to the rest.

#58 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

I don't connect with where I live, there is always something missing. I don't know where my connection lays.

The Victorian era resonates with me and some others, can't think at the moment, will come back to the rest.

You'd quite like Saltburn on the Yorkshire coast then, every year they have a Victorian day where folks dress up in period costume - it's like walking back in time.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#59 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

The land holds the spirits, the imprints of those that have lived there before. As we have a blood connection it is only natural to feel drawn to a place of Ancestor. The familiarity is understandable, promoting a feeling of home, homeland. But, as someone else queried, where does it stop,how far back do we go? We are all descendent's of pioneers or travelers. In my experience it is but a conduit to access the current. The connection with Ancestor and the spirit ofa place enhances or increases our endeavors to tap in. I believe it is this connection to the current that we recognize in each other, that unites as TW’s regardless of history, ancestry or path. It’s like the ocean, there are many streams, tributaries and rivers all working their way thru mountain and across lands , each passing thru unique territories but with the same objective. One is not more viable or significant than the others.

To say yes to this would be to assert that it is location alone that identifies, qualifies or confirms one as a witch. So my answer would be absolutely not, as most agree it is something deeper than witchy clothing, pentagrams and tarot cards, location or creed.. it is Who You Are...

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#60 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

I believe it is this connection to the current that we recognize in each other, that unites as TW’s regardless of history, ancestry or path. It’s like the ocean, there are many streams, tributaries and rivers all working their way thru mountain and across lands , each passing thru unique territories but with the same objective. One is not more viable or significant than the others.

What an excellent description..

The land holds the spirits, the imprints of those that have lived there before. As we have a blood connection it is only natural to feel drawn to a place of Ancestor. The familiarity is understandable, promoting a feeling of home, homeland. But, as someone else queried, where does it stop,how far back do we go?

In regards to blood ancestors and how far back do we go or where does it stop, its true that a person could probably find familial links everywhere if they continued looking. Personally, I only concern myself with the ones that I feel a connection with, that hold meaning for me at this time.