• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 rosielj

rosielj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Maybe I should go away and give this more thought before I step in, but here are my immediate thoughts.

I feel a sometimes overwhelming belonging to the land that I, and generations before me walked upon. I feel it with a passion that I find hard to put into words.

The Celts were a "nature people" they lived their lives respecting nature, living with it, working with it, paying close regard to the changing seasons and celebrating them. Although I do not worship any God or deity as such I do feel I almost worship nature just like my ancestors did.

Coming from generations and generations of Welsh Men and Women who worked on this land that I still live in, and growing up on a farm, this tradition continued and grew in me. I knew the importance of the seasons from as soon as I could walk and talk.

On our farm was a "Gromlech" an ancient relic from our past. I was drawn to it, and spent more and more time touching it, sleeping under it, admiring the huge stones and wondering who had brought them to this piece of land, and how....why? This is when I started to see the bigger picture, not only thinking of the people who were alive and surrounding me at this time, but to all those who lived before me.

How can I not have a deep rooted connection to my ancestors when I live in a country where I can see old dry stone walls that I knew my Great Great Grandfather's hands built? Although, having said that, some members of my family did not feel it, neither did they sit by ancient stones recognizing the power they held, so why did I?

Here in Wales there is still a strong solidarity amongst us, like the battle we have had to keep our language alive.At one point it was almost dead, only heard in the very rural communities, the people rose,and united to keep it alive and now it is very much a living language, and we even have a government policy regarding it! People may have ridiculed, and mocked us, called us "fanatics" but this is our language, our heritage.

What connects us as Trad. witches, I really can't answer that.There is almost an unspoken bond between us, some ancient connection that, although we are all different and may believe and follow different paths and beliefs, this "belonging" is still there. Look at the way we all know straight away who is going to "belong" on this forum and who is not!

I did once stop practicing my craft, a brief time when lots of things were very traumatic and sad in my life. I was still the same "me" but turned my back on it all, probably from the sheer depletion of energy if nothing else.
Other random people whom I came across at that time still recognized something in me, something "different".It was not long before things got back to normal. I may keep who I am and my beliefs very private in my daily life, and I do not go around telling people I am a witch, that is just MY personal choice, as it was the way with my Grandmother before me. But still, any friends that are drawn to me nearly always share my ways, and we sort of "know" each other.Even if they don't they accept and respect the person I am.

We may all be very different on here, but we share that same commonality of just "knowing" and accepting who and what we are. We seem to be more comfortable in our own skins than other "ordinary" people.We know who we are, are aware of our strength and also our weakness.
We also all share a huge respect and a feeling of outrage regarding the torture of those who came before us, and were put to their deaths for their beliefs. We seem to be working from some deeper, more aware place than others.

Oh, I can't put what I feel into words, its so difficult! so I will answer in one simple sentence.... What connects us on this path?..... We are all bloody brilliant!!!

#22 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

I have always felt connected to Ireland. I get fleeting visions of the ancient Celts who lived there and always end up with such a feeling of longing that I can hardly bear it. On the other hand, when I moved here to the desert southwest, I knew that this is where I belong. I know that in a past life I was a Native American and the culture is still so alive here that I finally feel at home. Besides all that, no matter where I go, I always feel the connection to nature. After reading everyone's posts on this subject and seeing how similar our beliefs are, I feel that is what connects us witches.....the pull of our ancestors, nature, and the longing for places we've never been to. What an awesome topic, Oak!!!!
Nature is open to the eyes that can see it.

#23 Windrunner

Windrunner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

I'm affraid I don't know much about my ancestors. My mum left my father when I was very young as he was very much a bully and I've never wanted to find him or find out about that side of my family. So I don't know where my roots are so to speak and have no real connection to the past.

I do however feel a connection to nature, and since starting out on this path that connection has begun growing. I'm begining to recapture the 'knowing' of my childhood (sorry but the feeling I had back then is hard to describe, especially as it became lost over the years). There is a tree outside my window and if I'm feeling tired, weak and down, I stare at it and look closely into its blossoms and new leaves. I imagine myself in physical contact with the tree and can actually feel its energy as it lifts and strengthens me. All this without having to leave the warmth of my home, and without having to look like a loon to the kids playing outside. I don't like towns or cities and am happiest when I'm able to get out into the countryside, either for a walk or a camping trip - either way it recharges my batteries (especially being amongst trees).

I'm an RN and have noticed new depths to the connection with those I'm looking after. Assisting someone with personal care the other day I had a strong feeling of conecting with the lady while supporting her on her side as my colleague washed her back. I just knew we were made the same, came from the same place and shared so much on an elemental level, a wonderful feeling. Healing energy started to flow more freely from me to her. We were one being, walking different paths on the same planet. Can't describe the depth, I'm tired and the words escape me.

I don't think of myself as having any particular path within this tradition. The only way I can describe it is that it's not wicca, it's nature based, I like to use candles and simple spells, use energy for healing. I have a concept of god (the energy that creates and holds it all together) but with male and female aspects. I cannot decide on a name to call it/them.

I do what I do, if I find someone who does what I do then maybe I'll find a label for my path, but I'm not too fussed about it. If someone shared my path, I wouldn't be solitary, and I like having my path to myself :D

#24 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Ok yep I am going to be completely different and say I don't feel really connected to the land really or distant ancestors.

Probably because I tend to live in the now and not the past (and I'm Scottish what more could you want?:vhappywitch:).

My family is from various parts of Europe and heritage was never a big issue as both sides were army and used to travelling around.

I live in the country and that suits me as long as I can can regularly visit Edinburgh and top up on the buzz and energy it gives me.

I would, in an ideal, world just travel and experience different lives - maybe then I would find my connection.

Although the mountains give me a certain buzz and I would happily move back to Northwest England as they've have better village pubs... aah so many memories and hangovers!

It has puzzled me as to why I don't feel the connection many or all of you do.

Does it make me a lesser witch?

Really I don't think so. I just work in a really different way. As long as it works for me thats fine. I always was the odd one.

#25 Lex

Lex

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Hmm. This is a really great post, and I know for a fact that this post is going to take me forever to write, so please forgive me if I ramble on and lose my trail of thought...

I'm from America, and I have to say that unlike many of the other Yanks here, I feel connected to my land. I was born and raised in Arizona, in the middle of the Sonora Desert, and I had always felt a connection to the land there. Even when I hated where I was, wanted to get away from the people there, I always loved the desert. I loved the heat, the smell of rain on the air, the way purple thunderheads built up on the edges of the sky signaling that a monsoon was near. If I couldn't be out in the storm, I would be at the screen door watching it rage around us.

When I was fifteen I moved with my family to San Diego, and I have to admit that the first year or so here was hell. I had no friends, no life to speak of outside of high school, and I found myself missing the desert every day despite the fact that I had convinced myself I wanted to get away from it.

Things have changed now, and I no longer hate San Diego the way I did when I was fifteen. I can't really see myself living anywhere else at this point, and I have come to love all that it has to offer. I feel connected to the earth here, despite this place being a big city. I think the city folk just have to work harder to find their connection, and look for nature in places you wouldn't really expect to find it. Being near the ocean helps a lot- sometimes you just have to make yourself forget the concrete and steel thats behind you...

I feel that no matter where you are, you can't get away from nature. City or suburb or a farm in the middle of nowhere, you are on the earth whether you like it or not. I personally love the city, the life that pulses through it and makes it such an interesting place to live. Maybe that energy is just a different kind of energy, one that comes from people...all of their inherent power concentrated and tuned in to one specific place...

I'm rambling and I think I am off topic. Sorry!

I feel connected to the land wherever I am, but I don't feel a connection to other witches. I don't know any personally, and sometimes I feel very isolated. I want to feel a connection, to just "know" as so many have said, but I also wan't more than that. I guess I want reasons, specifics, clues from my past that indicate who I am to become- but that is for a different post, I guess. I think I've gone on long enough. :grin_witch:

#26 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

Really I don't think so. I just work in a really different way. As long as it works for me thats fine. I always was the odd one.

Bingo! I don't think you are a lesser witch at all, every single one of us is very different from the next. In a way i think that's what kinda makes us witches, being different :D

I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#27 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Bingo! I don't think you are a lesser witch at all, every single one of us is very different from the next. In a way i think that's what kinda makes us witches, being different :D

Exactly and this is why Im putting this out there cause we are so different, yet...

And again, thankyou for the responses so far...

#28 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

I live in Wiltshire and although I do have a connection to the land its more to the elements, Earth is Earth where ever it is. One of the places I feel connected is back in Holland where none ofmy ancestors come from, but a place i lived for a while.

I have tried and failed to have a connection with ancestors, I mean for a good 1000 years or so they would have been mainly Christian non witches wouldn't they?.
I feel more of a connection to other spirit witches rather than the spirits of my bloodline ancestors.

I call myself pagan but I'm not a typical pagan running around stone circles every equinox drinking mead and casting circles.

My ways change, evolve and even take sharp turns.

Do you Americans or Australians feel like you need to have a connection with other countries to be witches?

Morgana you said that your paternal grandmother was a Native American wise woman and that your maternal grandmother was a healer(why is it always grandmothers? My paternal granny was very folk-pagan but also a bit loopy).
Do you believe things have been passed down to you? Do your parents also use witchcraft or Native american ways etc?
Sorry to be nosy its just a pretty amazing thing.

#29 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Do you Americans or Australians feel like you need to have a connection with other countries to be witches?

Thats a question I've wanted to ask for a while but didn't know how to phrase it nicely.

#30 Luna

Luna

LunaTechChick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Thats a question I've wanted to ask for a while but didn't know how to phrase it nicely.

Well, since I don't feel a connection to any other country, & only truely feel connected to where I was born in GA, .... That would be a no for me. :)

"I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."

#31 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

I live in Wiltshire and although I do have a connection to the land its more to the elements, Earth is Earth where ever it is. One of the places I feel connected is back in Holland where none ofmy ancestors come from, but a place i lived for a while.

I have tried and failed to have a connection with ancestors, I mean for a good 1000 years or so they would have been mainly Christian non witches wouldn't they?.
I feel more of a connection to other spirit witches rather than the spirits of my bloodline ancestors.

I call myself pagan but I'm not a typical pagan running around stone circles every equinox drinking mead and casting circles.

My ways change, evolve and even take sharp turns.

Morgana you said that your paternal grandmother was a Native American wise woman and that your maternal grandmother was a healer(why is it always grandmothers? My paternal granny was very folk-pagan but also a bit loopy).
Do you believe things have been passed down to you? Do your parents also use witchcraft or Native american ways etc?
Sorry to be nosy its just a pretty amazing thing.

For me it would be a no too. Even tho my Ancestors came from Ireland & Germany I never got that strong connection of feeling being a Witch I must connect with those places. But being part American indian I have felt that connection & looked into that.
I just feel mostly connected to Earth because (I believe) its ancientness.

Sapphire

There might be alittle "dust" on the bottle but it gets sweeter w/ time.

#32 green_embers

green_embers

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

Maybe our Ancestors were connected in some way or we were together in a previous life and we naturally tend to gravitate towards the things we cherish.

#33 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

An American doesn't need a connection to other countries to be a witch--however, I do think a connection to the land of somewhere near or far and "ancestors" is very important to traditional witchcraft (And I do mean witchcraft from traditional paths, not the general meaning of non-wiccan diy witchcraft--of which I also respect and support, but its not me). Ancestor's don't have to be your literal grandpa and grandmas, but they can be. Ancestors can be other witches--its in our blood, in my opinion and a red thread connects us. (though not all witches believe in the blood idea--some say that anyone can be a witch)

However, I do feel a connection to the land of my heritage. And it is integral to my path to have that connection to Ireland. And I cultivated it, to be honest, as did my family. My mother has always shared a lot with us kids about Ireland and her family. Heritage and ancestors is very important to my mother and to me. About ten years ago my mother and I joined an Irish Heritage group together, and I began taking courses at Uni about my ancestor's history and culture. And it is a part of my tradition to look to this homeland.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#34 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

[quote name='spinneyhex']Do you Americans or Australians feel like you need to have a connection with other countries to be witches?

I don't think that it is a need to have a connection with other countries to be witches. Who wouldn't want to be associated with Englands/Irelands/Scotlands rich, romantic, beautiful, if not sometimes tragic history? Even more so if it is your heritage. As for me..I am greek/irish american, living in Greece. I love America, I can feel her history in the land-the Indians, the European immigrants etc.. But it's not like here in Greece(and much of Europe)-where history, and your connection to it is like a slap in the face. Monuments, ancient reliks, etc..are everywhere. Xios suffered much under the Ottoman empire-bones of the slaughtered children, women and men are kept on display as well as bloody footprints on marble etc..And I feel these people and their pain on this land that my ancestors are from. And I feel connected to them, and this country somehow

#35 musca

musca

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:39 AM

I am nowhere NEAR my "native lands" that I am aware of....I live 20 miles or so (30KM) from my home town, my ancestors came from France, England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada and the Chippewa Indian Reservation I live not far from. The only REAL connection I feel to the land is what I own, but I'm in touch with ALL nature. My guess is that it does'nt matter who you are or where you are, you will always be a witch. It's in your blood, you know it's there.
And there's a part of you WAY, deep down that would'nt trade it for ANYTHING.

#36 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:23 AM

I agree that I don't think I need a connection to other countries to make me a witch, i stand on the earth or in the sea and that sea is connected to all the other bits of earth on the planet in one way or another - so i am connected to every country in the world even by just a little bit.

#37 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

I do not feel any special need to feel a connection to some land over the ocean from here. Last time I checked, the earth is the same age all over. The histories of different lands may be different and not always as obvious as ancient architecture. However, I live about 40 minutes from the Cahokia Mounds and there is some awesome energies there! I love to go there by myself and wander the grounds and the museum. The mounds qualify as a ancient historical place and is supposed to be the oldest archaeological site in America. http://www.cahokiamounds.com

I do find the histories of other places fascinating study though.

#38 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

From what little I have travelled I have always felt just as at home as a witch.

We went to QLD in Australia, the feeling there was fantastic, I didnt do any workings while I was on holiday but I certainly didnt think it would have been a problem. And its amazing how much energy the sun can give you when you are a pale english person, lol. Loads of little hippy shops there, and one witchy shop which I was chuffed to find. Apparently Australia has the largest population of witches other than the US I hear?

I think there is this a bit of a pretence attached to the Craft that it somehow has to be 'celtic' or 'irish' or 'european'. Whist those traditions are fine, I consider Witchcraft as a universal practice, and like everyone has said here, I dont think it matters where you live - just as long as the practices you follow are right for you!

**now surfing web for houses in australia!!**

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#39 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

I think there is this a bit of a pretence attached to the Craft that it somehow has to be 'celtic' or 'irish' or 'european'. Whist those traditions are fine, I consider Witchcraft as a universal practice, and like everyone has said here, I dont think it matters where you live - just as long as the practices you follow are right for you!

Well put!! This is what I was trying to say! Thanks!

#40 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:30 AM

We went to QLD in Australia, the feeling there was fantastic, I didnt do any workings while I was on holiday but I certainly didnt think it would have been a problem. And its amazing how much energy the sun can give you when you are a pale english person, lol. Loads of little hippy shops there, and one witchy shop which I was chuffed to find. Apparently Australia has the largest population of witches other than the US I hear?

Do we really? Wow that's pretty cool for Australia but i must admit it's kinda easy to find stores and readers etc - I hear QLD is pretty laid back and most of the pagan events are there or in South Australia.

Hehehe well you'd be welcome down under, that's for sure!! :D