- - - - -

What connects us on this path?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

I know we all have our own play on what walking the Trad path means to us. Personaly I find my connection inseperable from the ancient past of the Island of Eire and these British Isles on which I live, not so much about 'trying' to reconstruct the past, but more so opening up to the memory of it.
I remember waking up to this memory conciously at 14, when I first projected astrally, I travelled through grand halls and temples, then I found myself in the distant past, I found myself flying high above these ancient lands, I recall how everything was so green there were no modern roads and could see a great body of people a Tribe or Clan below me and on the move and at the head carrying a standard bearing the skull of an animal with great horns attached, I remember being noticed as I flew overhead..Why Im sharing this is that it woke me up to my ancestors and the ancient Land, the same resonance I experience when I gaze upon Stonehenge or avebury. I dont pray to or worship Pagan Deities, but I do sometimes talk with and pray to an Ancient power that existed long before Humanity was but a twinkling in the milkmans eye..

Its amazing how we all identify with TW but can be so differing in what that means to each one of us.
There are many here who would say you can be any religion and none and be a Witch..this is true and I agree.. some say that your a Witch if you practise Witchcraft, yet again I would agree.. to me the path of Witchcraft is deep rooted in my connection to my ancestors and the Land on which I stand..What Im throwing out there for discussion is this...

Is there a certain standard that we all agree on that connects us under the same banner?
Or are there TW who although under the same banner dont feel connected?
Is the connection to the past important to you? and if so what era?
Or is being a Witch to you not about a connection to the past but more about being free of religion or dogma?

Im really interested not only in what connects us here but even more so in our differences..

Personally it is the Land on which I stand that connects me as a Witch..But the Craft is what connects me to other Witches..

Im interested to hear how an American or Australian for example connect with the land.. Is it with the Land you live on or your Ancestral land from which your ancestors migrated if they were not indigenous..

And finally is the craft what connects you as a Witch or is it something else?
If it isnt the craft, then what is it? If you stopped practising the craft would you still connect with being a witch and the land as a witch? If so how or why?

Is there more to being a Witch than just Witchcraft? If so what is it?

Cheers..

Oak

Edited by Oakbuchanan, 13 April 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#2 LadyHawk

LadyHawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

I am very connected to where I was born and where I live. There were people here 12,000 years ago ( remains dating back 14,000 years have just been found in Scotland) and this has always been at the core of who I am. Everywhere around me there are standing stones, remains of pictish forts, we are steeped in ancient scottish lore and I was brought up with the stories and tales that kept it all alive for me. I am deeply connected in a spiritual way with our druidic history and was brought up beside the remains of one of the biggest druid teaching schools in Britain, so definitely it is the land that connects me. If I had to pinpoint an era I would say roughly 500ad pre-xtianity and earlier.

I would agree with you that it is the land that connects me to who I am, makes me who I am...

My connection to other witches is the the acknowledgement of like minded people, although probably very different, there is still a thread of recognition.

Many things make a witch, I certainly couln't define it...I only know me and my ways

LadyHawk x

#3 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, really interesting, what a great place to be brought up.. I grew up in Bath so not gonna be too jealous though..

Anyone else got any thoughts?

#4 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

After my camping trip I can more easily answer this.

As an American Witch it is def. A land connection for me as I see & feel the agelessness of the land.

I am also part native american & knowing they lived off the land, I see this as a strong pull for me as well. Also going back to Ancestors I don't know & the old ways of medicine & living this brings me to the wise women of old.

I couldn't pinpoint an era per se as I just connect more to the Ancient power I feel from the Earth & around me in the Air.

I just feel I am a Witch, it is inside me, who I am.

Sapphire

There might be alittle "dust" on the bottle but it gets sweeter w/ time.

#5 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

WOW!...and on a Monday morning here...hehehe....:coffee:....will definitely get back to you on this.

Great post Oak! I look forward to sharing and reading other's replies.

#6 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Every time I read Oak's post and try to start responding, my brain just won't let me... I'm scrambled today.. like a bad egg :tongue0013: - still, I look forward to reading everyone else's comments for the time being!

Amber xxx

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

#7 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Well, for me, I don't feel particularly connected to any particular ancestoral land. My ancestors left their homelands at least 4 to 5 if not 11 generations ago. So, I don't feel deeply connected to any particular place. (Mind you I think I had a past live in the Deep South of the U.S!)

But, I feel connected to nature and the outdoors in general. What does strike me - in terms of being a traditional witch - is feeling that the power of what guides the Universe is accessible on my own. So, I feel like I can connect, using traditional witchcraft, to energy that guides our world, other worlds.

I think other people connect to the same energy - just in different ways. And some people that are traditional witches likely don't feel the connection to a higher power that I do?

I'm sure everyone that responds to this thread will give a very different answer.

#8 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

From the responses Ive read so far, Im really glad I put this out there, gonna really enjoy this..thanks for the responses so far..

#9 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

I feel very connected to the land where I live. I was born within a few miles from where I live so this is just where I feel I belong. I have ancestors from far flung places in Hungary and other European places as well as rumors of native american in northern minnesota. So my connections really settle locally rather than scattering to the four directions.

When I was growing up, I always felt like an outsider,looking in, so spent much time walking in the woods behind my house. To this day, I often still feel like that. Some habits are hard to break.

#10 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

Well, I know very little about my ancestors and nor do I feel connected to where I live now... I feel rootless in some respects and have always felt like I'm not living where I am supposed to be just yet. What I do feel connected to, is nature and especially the ocean. If I had to say that I was drawn to living anywhere - it would be Wales - I feel like I've come home when I have visited Pembrokeshire.

My great grandmother was a romany, and tales from family say her aunt and mother were kitchen/trad witches.. but I know very little else about them.

I feel a kinship with those who heal, (and hex) work with energy and work with the old ways, but realise that whilst we may say this is how we work, we all work differently... and there is something special about that.

I only know how I feel - I've been around many people in the past who claimed they were witches and their practices repelled me.. there was no substance in anything they did. It all comes down to being full of intention, rather than playing at it. I'd rather do nothing for months and then do something that rips the energy from my heart, than connect with people who say they do this and that, and basically just pay lip service.

I once had a dream.. many years ago, which I believe was a past life memory - that dream and what happened to me in it, convinced me well and truly that I am who I am, and no matter where I go and what I do, it's like every cell has the memory of what I am no matter how many life times I come back.

Amber xxx

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

#11 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

Oak, you asked about us Yanks ...

I am drawn to Scotland in my mind and heart 'cuz that's where some of my ancestors are from. Haven't been there, yet, but am itching to do so. I have a feeling that once I get there, I'll feel like I've come home. There are other ancestors from Ireland but for some reason, the pull isn't as strong. And I feel no connection to Germany, although one-quarter of me is German. Nice place to visit, but ...

(As an aside, oooh, the energy at Stonehenge is awesome!)

Connecting to the land here is very different than the "ancestral" connection. It doesn't feel like "home". In the various places I've lived over the years, it's simply been The Land. Nature, if you will. In this house/place, the feeling is very different and comfortable. I can feel not only Nature, but the spirits of the native peoples who lived here before the white man. Perhaps it's because I'm finally out of the city and really love where I live, or perhaps it's because the energy is stronger, not having been totally fucked up by Man. Unsure on that point.

I don't think this has a lot to do with me being a witch, per se. A witch is who I am, just like I have brown hair, brown eyes and a temper. That said, because I am a witch and am open to such, I think I feel Nature and spirits more easily and more fully than a "mundane".

Being a witch is what connects me to other witches, regardless of their belief system (although I'll admit a huge problem with the fluffies). We all share a common trait in working with magic, regardless of how we do it. My willingness to listen and feel is what connects me to the land, whether I practised my craft or not. I felt connected to the land long before I figured out I was a witch.

If I stopped practising my craft? I can't even contemplate that. But I think were I to stop, over time my senses would dull. Just as those senses sharpened after I started practising my craft I don't think they'd go away completely, but the feelings probably wouldn't be as strong.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#12 Luna

Luna

LunaTechChick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Oh wow! What a great post!
I too feel very connected to where I was born, in Savannah, GA. (And lately I'm feeling a strong pull to move back there, & hope I can make that happen sooner than later.) My very soul just "feels better" when I'm in Savannah. And my connection to the ocean, which I totally feel the absence of, while living here. Not so connected feeling where I live now. I don't pray to any diety or gods or anything, but I do feel a spiritual connection to where I'm from & my ancestors, being family that have already passed.
I agree that the practice of the craft connects us witches, different as we all may be. I don't feel a connection to any particular past era though. Not yet anyway...

I think that just because one may stop the practice of the craft, you'd still be a witch & have that connection. At least I know that to be true for me, because I did step back for awhile, & changed my path, yet I still was & am a witch. I still felt a connection....with nature & the energy I draw & direct with intent. I've always sort of "felt" (the only word I can think of) the change of the seasons, the tides when I'm back home, the moon. But, like with anything else, if you stop doing something, I'd expect you'd get rusty at certain things. Maybe not be AS connected, but still feel something. (Ok, now I'm rambling!)

I've just always known I was a witch. It's just who I am & what I do.

"I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."

#13 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

Amber - I think you wrote my thoughts!

" feel rootless in some respects and have always felt like I'm not living where I am supposed to be just yet"

That's often how I feel. I've also felt very much connected to a healing energy. Even though I've felt rootless (in my own land here in my patch of Canada), I've seen glimpses of past lives and also have sensed I was once a healer of sorts. (At least I think so!)

#14 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:56 AM

For me being an Aussie witch I don't really feel a connection to Australia as a country per say because i think we've been pretty shocking to the Aboriginals and our history is still very young, but I feel connected to the earth/world as a whole - as in, everywhere I stand in a forest, desert, beach i'm standing on the earth and i'm connected to everywhere else in the world just by a tiny little speck of dirt or drop of water.

I do feel a stronger pull towards the lands of the UK where my ancestors come from but I also feel a pull towards Russia, Prague etc even though to my knowledge I have no ancestors from there.

I think that is why witches, no matter where they are from can form a connection with one another - we are all part of and connected to the earth, thus connected to each other, well that's what i think anyway

I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#15 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:31 AM

I'm like Sophia...I actually prefer the outdoors and feel better when I'm away from the city.

My mum always was mad because I'd rather be outside and not helping her clean. When I was about 13 I was helping my dad dig up a garden and I found 2 flint arrowheads (I still actually have 1 left). This when he informed me that his real mother was Cherokee and that she was a wise woman. This is probably why I always felt the draw of nature and could be found wandering the fields, the forest or just laying in the yard watching the clouds. Oh, and the collection of critters I always brought home. Dad always encouraged me on studying the ways of his culture and it really pissed off my mum who wanted a "proper lady" out of me like she was raise in England.

As the years went on, my mums sister told me when she was visting from England, that thier mother always used herbs to cook and heal and grew most of her own. I starting asking my aunt about England (Mum never talked much about her home) and asked about the land. She was the first one to tell me about the stone circles, the myths of Avalon, etc. This is when I realized that my "nite travels" as I called them back then (now I know its astral travel), were of England. I actually described to her things I had seen and she told me where they were, totally amazed that I said I saw them.

So now I have 2 connections, 1 here and the other England. I have never really liked living here in the big city. They have the forest preserves, but they're not like where I grew up, but I do still wander when I can. My dream is to get to England/Ireland/Wales/Scotland before I get too old to enjoy it.

Even if I wasn't a witch, I know I would still be strongly connected to the earth as its part of me and I of it. I just feel that witchcraft and the earth connection go hand in hand!

I hope this made sense as its Monday and I'm also trying to write my article for the club paper........but I think you may get my drift!!

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#16 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

Yea pefect sense... really great replies...

#17 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

K, you asked for it kemosabee.....lol.....sorry for the different purple colors, but they would not cooperate in consisitancy!

[FONT="]I know we all have our own play on what walking the Trad path means to us. Personaly I find my connection inseperable from the ancient past of the Island of Eire and these British Isles on which I live, not so much about 'trying' to reconstruct the past, but more so opening up to the memory of it.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I relate to this. I too find my connection inseparable from the ancient past. For some reason, although I have not been there in this life time, I know that I lived in Scotland in a past life. When I look at pictures of it, it seems so familiar. My great granddad came from Ireland and I have always had a longing to visit there, way before I recognized I was a witch in this life time. There are not many places I desire to visit, but Ireland/Scotland is one that I do.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I so much love the country. I don’t feel comfortable living in a city. That is a huge connection for me, being amongst the trees, rivers, lakes, and just walking in the woods back home made me feel one with it all. I have tried living in cities, but always go back to the country, where my heart is. Being here in Alaska, I have a whole new appreciation for nature. This time here has taught me much. I love the moon, sky, and stars. One night I was driving home a few months ago I think, the moon was full and it was so close it was almost like you could reach out and touch it, that just took my breath away, much like the mountains did when I stepped off the plane in Anchorage seven yrs ago and was just astounded by their beauty. It was a very humbling experience. Now, I don’t worship these things, but I do believe they play a big part in our lives here. I also believe that the waxing and waning of the moon affects us just like it affects the tides on this earth. (And no, not in a “fluffy” way)[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]I remember waking up to this memory consciously at 14, when I first projected astrally, I travelled through grand halls and temples, then I found myself in the distant past, I found myself flying high above these ancient lands, I recall how everything was so green there were no modern roads and could see a great body of people a Tribe or Clan below me and on the move and at the head carrying a standard bearing the skull of an animal with great horns attached, I remember being noticed as I flew overhead..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I also have a memory of East Texas, (which goes beyond my having lived there) which I believe comes from my Native American heritage. There have been many times I have physically visited, when I lived there, to places that I could swear I had been there before, like in another life time. (That dejavu thing) I have recently visited there projected in a dream. I woke up and it was if I had actually been there. That was awesome![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Why Im sharing this is that it woke me up to my ancestors and the ancient Land, the same resonance I experience when I gaze upon Stonehenge or avebury. I don’t pray to or worship Pagan Deities, but I do sometimes talk with and pray to an Ancient power that existed long before Humanity was a twinkling in the milkman’s eye... [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]When I look at pictures of Stonehenge, I feel a warmth and a knowing that my ancestors where a part of that. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]Since recognizing that I am a witch, I have become more so aware of my ancestors, some that I am kin to that have passed on that I have not thought about in years. I also consider my ancestors as not necessarily blood kin so to speak, but those wonderful witches who have passed on also.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]At present, I do not pray to deities, but I do talk to my ancestors, which to me is basically the same thing. I do ask for their assistance. Some day, I may choose to do so.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]

Its amazing how we all identify with TW but can be so differing in what that means to each one of us. There are many here who would say you can be any religion and none and be a Witch..this is true and I agree.. some say that your a Witch if you practise Witchcraft, yet again I would agree.. to me the path of Witchcraft is deep rooted in my connection to my ancestors and the Land on which I stand..What I throwing out there for discussion is this...[/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I believe that I have a deep rooted connection because of the things I could relate to even before recognizing I am a witch. The only way I know how to describe these things is by the peace and “knowing” that I feel and have felt when desiring to perform a ritual or spell of protection for myself and my loved ones in the past. I knew it was right in my thinking. I would think, “Where is this coming from?” Well, now I know it is in my blood, which is why the thoughts came to me.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="]
Is there a certain standard that we all agree on that connects under the same banner?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I believe that is possible. And that certain standard is “knowing” what we are without someone leading us to believe in it. “It just is” I think is a common denominator.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Or are there TW who although under the same banner don’t feel connected?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I can only speak for myself, but I do feel a connection with those on here. Even though some us follow our own unique path with this, the essence of us all are intertwined in some way. Not to necessarily be explained, we just accept it as part of a woven web. Perhaps in a past life, we agreed to meet up in one way or another in this life time, come together (such as we do here at TW) and support one another after all the hell we experienced in past lives.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Is the connection to the past important to you? and if so what era?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I enjoy reading about the past and learning about my ancestors, but, I live in the now and must deal with the things that are going on in today’s world. So although we do not need to be stuck in the past, it is good to know the true history of our ancestors because it gives me a feeling of respect for what they stood for and what they went through. How hard they tried to pass down their way of life so we can carry it on. It is also good that they can communicate with us now.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]As far as the era, I am not sure, but I do know that it could include several centuries.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Or is being a Witch to you not about a connection to the past but more about being free of religion or dogma?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]Being a witch to me includes my connection to the past. At the same time, it is being free of religion or dogma. I have always felt that simple is best, therefore having no “rules’ works really well for me because I have never been prone to rules. Not that I neglect my responsibilities, but really, rules only complicate things. I follow what I feel is right for me and believe me that is so much less stressful than having to wonder all the time, “am I doing this right?” or “ is this the way this is supposed to be done?” That can make you crazy and also I believe that would affect your intent (worrying all the time about right or wrong). Which as we know, intent is the most important tool that we all carry on our crooked path.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]

Im really interested not only in what connects us here but even more so in our differences..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]If it were not for our differences, we would be a boring bunch I think. And sometimes we get tunnel vision when trying to do our work for those close to us. Having someone that is like minded helps us consider a different approach, but yet, with the same goal. We can choose to take a different route in a working if we so desire or incorporate what we learn from each other.[/FONT][FONT="]

Personally it is the Land on which I stand that connects me as a Witch..But the Craft is what connects me to other Witches..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]What connects me to being a witch is a combination of the earth, nature and all that they have to offer to us. Our craft is what connects us in that our energy weaves the web of life. So, yes, we are definitely connected, no matter how close or far away we are from one another. Even when we don’t agree on certain things, we still respect one another. It is like a band of brothers and sisters.[/FONT][FONT="]

Im interested to hear how an American or Australian for example connect with the land.. Is it with the Land you live on or your Ancestral land from which your ancestors migrated if they were not indigenous..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Here in America, if you were born here, there are a lot of us who have the Native American history in our background. It was sad the way their land was taken from them. There are some spots of land back home that you just can feel the “sacredness” as you are walking on the land. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Like me, there are a lot of us who cannot prove the bloodline, but know it is there. I incorporate quite a few of the Native American traditions in my workings. My other blood ancestors migrated from Scotland, Ireland, and Greece. I am just as proud of that as I am all my other ancestors.[/FONT][FONT="]

And finally is the craft what connects you as a Witch or is it something else?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]I don’t think the craft is what connects me as a witch. I did not know that I was actually one for a very long time. I knew I was different, just didn’t know what it was called. I believe what connects me as a witch is recognizing that is what I am, I know it is in my blood and it just comes natural to me. Like I have stated before, I was doing a lot of things that are considered the craft before I ever recognized I am a witch.

[/FONT]
[FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]If it isnt the craft, then what is it? [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]So, what connects me as a witch is plain just who I am and who I was in past lives. Acknowledging this has given me more peace than anything else ever has. There is no more trying to figure out “who I am”. And that is very rewarding. In this present life, I am a witch, even when I was a xtrian and not necessarily actively practicing as one.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]If you stopped practising the craft would you still connect with being a witch and the land as a witch? If so how or why?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]I was a witch before I was actively practicing my craft, so yes why wouldn’t I still be connected to being a witch? I don’t believe I would ever stop, now that I have realized it. It is too much of a way of life for me. And when you find “home” inside of you, you rarely leave that. Besides, it is too exciting learning all the things that I can incorporate, which I must say all sound so familiar to me now.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]

Is there more to being a Witch than just Witchcraft? If so what is it?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]Most definitely! I have a problem separating my spirituality from “who I am”. Even though I do not proclaim that Witchcraft is a religion, I still recognize my Higher Self and I call on my Higher Self to help with my workings a lot of the time. Besides, religion is a whole nother ball game that does not include my craft. I am now beginning to accept the fact that I can, if I choose, to call on angels. Now that I no longer look at them the way the church teach. They are spirits, just like our ancestors. Hell, they could be part of our ancestors as far as I am concerned.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]And that is my rendition of what connects me to this path![/FONT]

[/FONT]

#18 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

Is there a certain standard that we all agree on that connects us under the same banner?

I don't know, I haven't noticed one thing all witches agree on.

Or are there TW who although under the same banner don't feel connected?

I am not sure.

Is the connection to the past important to you? and if so what era?

Yes, specifically ancient Ireland.

Or is being a Witch to you not about a connection to the past but more about being free of religion or dogma?

No, I am into the connection to the past thing. I think having religion doesn't exclude you from being a witch.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#19 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

I noticed a lot of American witches commenting on not feeling connected to their physical home. I feel connected to the Pac NW as well as to Ireland and Britain. I have been to Britain, but not Ireland. I feel my connection to that land through heritage and culture. I am going to visit Ireland in the future. I love Oregon and Washington, I love the mountains, the evergreen trees, the creeks and rivers. I feel a real and substantial part of this land. Maybe it was because I was born and raised her and have never lived anywhere else.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#20 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

K, you asked for it kemosabee.....lol.....sorry for the different purple colors, but they would not cooperate in consisitancy!

[FONT="]I know we all have our own play on what walking the Trad path means to us. Personaly I find my connection inseperable from the ancient past of the Island of Eire and these British Isles on which I live, not so much about 'trying' to reconstruct the past, but more so opening up to the memory of it.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I relate to this. I too find my connection inseparable from the ancient past. For some reason, although I have not been there in this life time, I know that I lived in Scotland in a past life. When I look at pictures of it, it seems so familiar. My great granddad came from Ireland and I have always had a longing to visit there, way before I recognized I was a witch in this life time. There are not many places I desire to visit, but Ireland/Scotland is one that I do.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I so much love the country. I don’t feel comfortable living in a city. That is a huge connection for me, being amongst the trees, rivers, lakes, and just walking in the woods back home made me feel one with it all. I have tried living in cities, but always go back to the country, where my heart is. Being here in Alaska, I have a whole new appreciation for nature. This time here has taught me much. I love the moon, sky, and stars. One night I was driving home a few months ago I think, the moon was full and it was so close it was almost like you could reach out and touch it, that just took my breath away, much like the mountains did when I stepped off the plane in Anchorage seven yrs ago and was just astounded by their beauty. It was a very humbling experience. Now, I don’t worship these things, but I do believe they play a big part in our lives here. I also believe that the waxing and waning of the moon affects us just like it affects the tides on this earth. (And no, not in a “fluffy” way)[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]I remember waking up to this memory consciously at 14, when I first projected astrally, I travelled through grand halls and temples, then I found myself in the distant past, I found myself flying high above these ancient lands, I recall how everything was so green there were no modern roads and could see a great body of people a Tribe or Clan below me and on the move and at the head carrying a standard bearing the skull of an animal with great horns attached, I remember being noticed as I flew overhead..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I also have a memory of East Texas, (which goes beyond my having lived there) which I believe comes from my Native American heritage. There have been many times I have physically visited, when I lived there, to places that I could swear I had been there before, like in another life time. (That dejavu thing) I have recently visited there projected in a dream. I woke up and it was if I had actually been there. That was awesome![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Why Im sharing this is that it woke me up to my ancestors and the ancient Land, the same resonance I experience when I gaze upon Stonehenge or avebury. I don’t pray to or worship Pagan Deities, but I do sometimes talk with and pray to an Ancient power that existed long before Humanity was a twinkling in the milkman’s eye... [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]When I look at pictures of Stonehenge, I feel a warmth and a knowing that my ancestors where a part of that. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]Since recognizing that I am a witch, I have become more so aware of my ancestors, some that I am kin to that have passed on that I have not thought about in years. I also consider my ancestors as not necessarily blood kin so to speak, but those wonderful witches who have passed on also.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]At present, I do not pray to deities, but I do talk to my ancestors, which to me is basically the same thing. I do ask for their assistance. Some day, I may choose to do so.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]

Its amazing how we all identify with TW but can be so differing in what that means to each one of us. There are many here who would say you can be any religion and none and be a Witch..this is true and I agree.. some say that your a Witch if you practise Witchcraft, yet again I would agree.. to me the path of Witchcraft is deep rooted in my connection to my ancestors and the Land on which I stand..What I throwing out there for discussion is this...[/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I believe that I have a deep rooted connection because of the things I could relate to even before recognizing I am a witch. The only way I know how to describe these things is by the peace and “knowing” that I feel and have felt when desiring to perform a ritual or spell of protection for myself and my loved ones in the past. I knew it was right in my thinking. I would think, “Where is this coming from?” Well, now I know it is in my blood, which is why the thoughts came to me.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="]
Is there a certain standard that we all agree on that connects under the same banner?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I believe that is possible. And that certain standard is “knowing” what we are without someone leading us to believe in it. “It just is” I think is a common denominator.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Or are there TW who although under the same banner don’t feel connected?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]I can only speak for myself, but I do feel a connection with those on here. Even though some us follow our own unique path with this, the essence of us all are intertwined in some way. Not to necessarily be explained, we just accept it as part of a woven web. Perhaps in a past life, we agreed to meet up in one way or another in this life time, come together (such as we do here at TW) and support one another after all the hell we experienced in past lives.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Is the connection to the past important to you? and if so what era?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I enjoy reading about the past and learning about my ancestors, but, I live in the now and must deal with the things that are going on in today’s world. So although we do not need to be stuck in the past, it is good to know the true history of our ancestors because it gives me a feeling of respect for what they stood for and what they went through. How hard they tried to pass down their way of life so we can carry it on. It is also good that they can communicate with us now.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]As far as the era, I am not sure, but I do know that it could include several centuries.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Or is being a Witch to you not about a connection to the past but more about being free of religion or dogma?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]Being a witch to me includes my connection to the past. At the same time, it is being free of religion or dogma. I have always felt that simple is best, therefore having no “rules’ works really well for me because I have never been prone to rules. Not that I neglect my responsibilities, but really, rules only complicate things. I follow what I feel is right for me and believe me that is so much less stressful than having to wonder all the time, “am I doing this right?” or “ is this the way this is supposed to be done?” That can make you crazy and also I believe that would affect your intent (worrying all the time about right or wrong). Which as we know, intent is the most important tool that we all carry on our crooked path.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]

Im really interested not only in what connects us here but even more so in our differences..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]If it were not for our differences, we would be a boring bunch I think. And sometimes we get tunnel vision when trying to do our work for those close to us. Having someone that is like minded helps us consider a different approach, but yet, with the same goal. We can choose to take a different route in a working if we so desire or incorporate what we learn from each other.[/FONT][FONT="]

Personally it is the Land on which I stand that connects me as a Witch..But the Craft is what connects me to other Witches..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]What connects me to being a witch is a combination of the earth, nature and all that they have to offer to us. Our craft is what connects us in that our energy weaves the web of life. So, yes, we are definitely connected, no matter how close or far away we are from one another. Even when we don’t agree on certain things, we still respect one another. It is like a band of brothers and sisters.[/FONT][FONT="]

Im interested to hear how an American or Australian for example connect with the land.. Is it with the Land you live on or your Ancestral land from which your ancestors migrated if they were not indigenous..[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Here in America, if you were born here, there are a lot of us who have the Native American history in our background. It was sad the way their land was taken from them. There are some spots of land back home that you just can feel the “sacredness” as you are walking on the land. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Like me, there are a lot of us who cannot prove the bloodline, but know it is there. I incorporate quite a few of the Native American traditions in my workings. My other blood ancestors migrated from Scotland, Ireland, and Greece. I am just as proud of that as I am all my other ancestors.[/FONT][FONT="]

And finally is the craft what connects you as a Witch or is it something else?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]I don’t think the craft is what connects me as a witch. I did not know that I was actually one for a very long time. I knew I was different, just didn’t know what it was called. I believe what connects me as a witch is recognizing that is what I am, I know it is in my blood and it just comes natural to me. Like I have stated before, I was doing a lot of things that are considered the craft before I ever recognized I am a witch.

[/FONT]
[FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]If it isnt the craft, then what is it? [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]So, what connects me as a witch is plain just who I am and who I was in past lives. Acknowledging this has given me more peace than anything else ever has. There is no more trying to figure out “who I am”. And that is very rewarding. In this present life, I am a witch, even when I was a xtrian and not necessarily actively practicing as one.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]If you stopped practising the craft would you still connect with being a witch and the land as a witch? If so how or why?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT="]I was a witch before I was actively practicing my craft, so yes why wouldn’t I still be connected to being a witch? I don’t believe I would ever stop, now that I have realized it. It is too much of a way of life for me. And when you find “home” inside of you, you rarely leave that. Besides, it is too exciting learning all the things that I can incorporate, which I must say all sound so familiar to me now.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]

Is there more to being a Witch than just Witchcraft? If so what is it?[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]Most definitely! I have a problem separating my spirituality from “who I am”. Even though I do not proclaim that Witchcraft is a religion, I still recognize my Higher Self and I call on my Higher Self to help with my workings a lot of the time. Besides, religion is a whole nother ball game that does not include my craft. I am now beginning to accept the fact that I can, if I choose, to call on angels. Now that I no longer look at them the way the church teach. They are spirits, just like our ancestors. Hell, they could be part of our ancestors as far as I am concerned.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Arial]And that is my rendition of what connects me to this path![/FONT]

[/FONT]

Fuckin hell...wow! lol thanks Lea! :)