• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

I'm a big fan of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy, The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, and the Yasmin Galnorn's Otherworld series (not because it's well-written, it's not, but Camille's love live is too much fun).

#62 LadySea

LadySea

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:36 AM

What a fantastic thread - I have to second Margaret Mahy's "changeover" - I read this as a young kind and have been wondering for years (decades) about that book - couldn't remember the author or title or anything but the scantest details and the fact that it took place in New Zealand- Although something about the *feeling* or mood/theme of it definitely stayed with me throughout the years! Must get my hands on it again. I am quite happy to re-read fiction I enjoyed as a child or teen!
I'm sure I've read some of these. I always took books out from the library and often didn't jot down the author or title.
One book that may or may not qualify that stands out is "Wyrms" by Orson Scott Card. The theme or moral was possibly objectionable to this crowd but I liked the psychic communication aspect and just the bizarre quality of it. It was a fascinating novel. I loved many of his.
Shirley Jackson's novels scared the pants off me -- weird, dark, horrifying... "we have always lived in the castle" especially. " I couldn't finish "The haunting of hill house" because whenever I was reading it phenomena would happen in the room I was sleeping in at the time such as multiple light bulbs burning out practically simultaneously, and light flicks switching off (and ON, which was even more scary), hag-style sleep paralysis... It's a story unto itself, really freaked me out - and there are rumours that this is a not-unheard of thing that happens when reading that particular novel.
I'm a huge fan of Dion Fortune, although the only actual novel I've read of hers is "The secrets of doctor Taverner", which was long but I definitely enjoyed. (I've read many of her non-fiction books). I do plan to read all of her novels in time, when the time is right. She has stated that her non-fiction appeals to our logical minds and that practice and/or her fiction books tap into our subconscious awareness, especially in the case of "The mystical Qabalah" (which I've studied for a number of years) and "The Sea Priestess" (which Michael Howard, editor of Cauldron magazine, has stated bore fruit in the mind for years to come after reading it). I really look forward to experiencing this. In fact I have this novel on my book shelf but have not quite felt called to delve into it yet.
I think it is so important to read fiction, especially for voracious readers who take in a lot of non-fiction - for balance. So thus I think what Dion fortune stated as both in conjunction with each other being the "keys to the temple" applies when it comes to logic and art tougether - we need both. I read from all genres, and I feel that a profound work of fiction from any style or genre has much to offer the esotericist (or however you want to term the witch, magician, intuitive, etc). Actually I recall about this time last year I had taken in an enormous amount of reading on my path, when suddenly I was gently nudged towards "Lonesome Dove" (a western!) around the same time I had a few days off work. That novel had a most impactful effect on me, and taught me more about human nature than a dozen books on psychology ever could, my God I adored that book - it was one of the best I've ever read.
So I don't shun any genre! But I must be drawn to a book in the moment in order to pick it up and stick with it- I can't just read something on demand.
I personally didn't like the one Anne Rice I read in the Mayfair Witch series (The Witching Hour)- I felt drained after that particular 1000 pages. I did enjoy a few of her vampires and I really loved "Exit to Eden", which is not even considered that noteworthy of her collection but for me was terribly enjoyable and emgaging. I've heard she's turned to Jesus in recent years. - how peculiar! But you never know. And I am actually not one to shun Jesus either.
Final guilty pleasure confession: Circle of Three series by isobel Bird. Look it up and lol all the way to "buying with one click" on amazon for kindle! I've read a lot of really silly stuff. Would read anything with a witch or supernatural theme when I was a kid and teen.

Edited by LadySea, 22 December 2016 - 04:42 AM.