61 replies to this topic

#41 NiamhMorganaAstra

NiamhMorganaAstra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Has anyone ever read any Maggie Shayne? I would give her witchy fiction, a go.

Immortal witches

The portal books

She has other fictional books, but none (other than the two listed) with witches as the subject (that I know of).

Edited by NiamhMorganaAstra, 10 May 2013 - 06:11 AM.

#42 hermit

hermit

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

The first of the "immortal witches" books got me hooked, at least before the narrative traveled to modern times.
The protagonist had to handle all the tense atmosphere of murder and suspicion of the inquisition times, all the running away, and even so, had time to slowly develop a romance... and with the priest no less!

I've been avoiding the other three books...by the synopsis i can tell that they have nothing of historical about them, wich means loss of suspense and the atmosphere of suspicion i loved so much in the first one. But i always wonder if it is not a mistake to avoid them.

#43 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Confession time, I love a good book heck I even read mildly good books lol I draw the line at badly written trash although I struggled through 50 shades of gray because people kept raving about them plus they where given to me so I sort of had to.

Books I love, anything Anne Rice infact I'm searching for Lestat first edition it is the last one I need to have the first three in first edition.
Sherrilyn Kenyon- anything by her and even her stuff with a co author is a fun if not whitchy more paranormal read. FYI she has a set of SIFY that are good too, all her stuff is romantic though.

Yasmine Galenorn-also a series witchling is the first changeling the second and there are several more. These are pretty short and great bath time reading.

Nora Roberts does pretty decent witchy type books

Kim Harrison, I love every book I have read of hers

Nancy holder, not bad but not great
I like the discovery of witches but I'm not exactly in love with it.
The sweep series was ok.
I am not into JA banks, I just can't get into them

My favorite all time authors, Anne Rice, Lincolin child and Douglas Preston Pendergast series FBI horror type books, J,D Robb ( Nora Roberts ) in death books they are futuristic police type books and I just love them like crazy.

#44 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Confession time, I love a good book heck I even read mildly good books lol I draw the line at badly written trash although I struggled through 50 shades of gray because people kept raving about them plus they where given to me so I sort of had to.

Books I love, anything Anne Rice infact I'm searching for Lestat first edition it is the last one I need to have the first three in first edition.
Sherrilyn Kenyon- anything by her and even her stuff with a co author is a fun if not whitchy more paranormal read. FYI she has a set of SIFY that are good too, all her stuff is romantic though.

Yasmine Galenorn-also a series witchling is the first changeling the second and there are several more. These are pretty short and great bath time reading.

Nora Roberts does pretty decent witchy type books

Kim Harrison, I love every book I have read of hers

Nancy holder, not bad but not great
I like the discovery of witches but I'm not exactly in love with it.
The sweep series was ok.
I am not into JA banks, I just can't get into them

My favorite all time authors, Anne Rice, Lincolin child and Douglas Preston Pendergast series FBI horror type books, J,D Robb ( Nora Roberts ) in death books they are futuristic police type books and I just love them like crazy.

Ann Rice and Sherrilyn Kenyon here too. :smile: (Styxx comes out September 3!)

At the moment I am making my way through the "House of Night" series because it was given to me and has been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple years. The series is about teenage vamps that are kind of witches too. I had started them once before, read two lines and put it back on the shelf, so its slow going. The premise is interesting but its a really juvenille series that seems to me to be ripping off the Harry Potter books and twisting it using a female vamp lead with wiccan flavoring and soft core teenage love scenes and bickering throughout. The circle casting rituals are really cheesily wiccan and it takes up about a third of each book because they do it about three or four times a book. Ughh. The dialog between the characters is really irritating, as is the mixing of legends from the Cherokee and Greek cultures and the constant "ho" status of the main character. Seriously, the love triangle turn square turn pentacle gets really tiresome. As the series progresses the themes get darker as good guys turn evil. So the writing isn't great but the plot is ok and that with the darkening of the story is the only reason that I am still reading them. Three stars just for an interesting storyline, the rest is garbage.

Edited by Whiterose, 12 May 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#45 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

YeGods if I was to go through all my Witchy Fiction - I have a lot.

Maggie Shayne - do like her Immortal Witch series
Linda Winstead Jones - Fyne Sisters/Children of the Sun
Jennifer Lyon - Wing Slayer Hunter (witch/hunter stories)
Anya Bast - Elemental Witches
Nora Roberts - Three Sisters Island/Key Trilogies
Cheyenne McCray - Magic series
Christine Feehan - Drake Sisters
Kelly Armstrong - Otherworld series
Anne Bishop - Black Jewels series/Tir Alainn trilogy
+ some individual novels.

I have a lot of books.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#46 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

I tend not to read witchy fiction if I'm honest (not because I'm too high brow for it but because I've usually got my nose in a book with a helpless historical heroine being ravished by some medieval bastard) but the one occult fiction author I have always enjoyed is Dennis Wheatley. "The Satanist" in particular was an excellent read, as was "The Devil rides out." You could probably still pick them up in second hand bookshops, but sadly I believe they are mainly out of print now.
Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#47 isabel

isabel

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

Witch light (previously published as Corrag) by Susan Fletcher is set at the time of the Glencoe massacre and is worth a read. Sweet, beautiful, hauntingly sad and sensitively written. It's a Sunday afternoon curled up in an armchair with a cup of tea and box of tissues read. Some people might find the odd paganiness here and there, but it isn't too often or off-putting.

#48 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

Elly Griffiths' mystery series has a neo-Druid supporting character. The main character is an archaeologist who helps the police. Anyway, not straight out "witchy" but still quite good (I love mysteries).

Just read Wise Woman by Phillipa Gregory. Pretty good, although some parts are obviously dramatized (wax poppets walking by themselves, anyone? lol). Worth a read!

Edited by westofthemoon, 17 December 2014 - 04:13 PM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#49 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

Anne Rice's "Lives of the Mayfair Witches" series is reeally good. I loved the first two, I havent read the third but I need to read the first two again before I do anyway. I wasnt as big a fan of her other books though, never got into the vampire chronicles.

Another I liked is We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Its dark and strange and the main character does a bit of magic and has a facination with poisons. Its not a witchy book really, but there is a flavor. I want to read this one again too. My copy is held together with tape because it is so well loved.

Wise Woman sounds interesting! I have a looooong reading list. Im glad for the time off coming up, im tired of text books and essays :bored:

#50 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

Deborah Blake (of Llewellyn fame but I don't hold it against her) has two fiction books out: Wickedly Dangerous and Wickedly Wonderful. Both protagonists are Baba Yagas. They're romance so not for everyone but fun, nonetheless.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#51 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

Firethorn (& its sequel, Wildfire), by Sarah Micklem, both blew the lid off any witchy fiction I'd read before. Truly wonderful. I cannot recommend enough. I may have been born to tell you to read this series, actually.

#52 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

I just finished the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, A Discovery of Witches, , Shadow of Night, and the last (most recent) book, The Tree of Life, which was published in July.  Well researched, which is a must for a bibliophile like myself.  I collect old manuscripts and antique books so this series was like literary crack for me.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#53 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

I liked the Harkness series as well.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#54 Crow59

Crow59

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:03 AM

"The Winter Witch", "The Witch's Daughter", "The Midnight Witch" all by Paula Brackston. Not a series, but three stand alone novels featuring witches. I enjoyed them all.
"There are truths on this side of the Pyrenees which are falsehoods on the other" - Blaise Pascal
"But sometimes the intent is to harm." - Me

#55 Belgarath

Belgarath

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:34 PM

I can't believe I just found this thread! I should have come to the Books and Music Reviews section much sooner. There's enough here to keep me occupied until the end of days.

I'm going to go ahead and plug the same series that I did in a previous one of my posts.

The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce. I love the author's take on what she calls "ambient magic", because of how similar it may seem to anyone who has ever tried to sense the energy in things they work with in the mundane world. You can also tell that she has done her research. Not on magic, but on sewing, gardening, metalwork, glasswork, etc. All of the crafts that she writes about are very accurate to the subject matter.

Types of ambient magic in the books:
- Stitch mage
- Green mage
- Metal mage
- Weather mage
- Stone mage
- Fire mage
- Glass mage

And on and on and on.

"Once you've decided that something's absolutely true, you've closed your mind on it, and a closed mind doesn't go anywhere. Question everything. That's what education's all about.”  - Belgarath the Sorcerer

#56 Vivienne

Vivienne

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:28 AM

As a kid, I was entranced by The White Witch of Kynance, by Mary Calhoun. I wanted to be An Marget, the village witch, so badly as a kid. :flyaway: I've read Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series too and loved it. And I'm a huge fan of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books. There is magic, although I would not call them witchy, I don't think. Ditto for Piers Anthony's Xanth series- tons of magic, doesn't feel witchy. I can't wait to check out the other books mentioned here! :happy:

#57 Crow59

Crow59

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

Just got “Long Black Curl” by Alex Bledsoe, the third book in the “Tales of the Tufa” series. Haven’t started it yet, but I really enjoyed the first two books. The stories are set in Appalachia and contain a lot of mountain lore and folk magic. Really fun books to read.
"There are truths on this side of the Pyrenees which are falsehoods on the other" - Blaise Pascal
"But sometimes the intent is to harm." - Me

#58 demetria

demetria

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

Another Terry Pratchett, Monica Furlong & Tamora Pierce fan here. Also, I have a couple of suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet (as far as I saw):

I've read three of Dion Fortune's magical novels & enjoyed them: The Goat Foot God, Moon Magic, The Sea Priestess.

Rosemary Edgehill has an interesting (Brit Trad Wiccan) heroine in her mystery trilogy compilation; Bell, Book and Murder.

Starhawk's about to publish a sequel to her lovely dystopian novel The Fifth Sacred Thing, which also has a prequel called Walking to Mercury. The new book is called City of Refuge. Obviously I haven't read it yet, but I did enjoy the other two.

And as a New Zealander, I have to recommend one of our greatest authors, Margaret Mahy, who started writing children's & teen's stories in the late sixties. In particular, she wrote a teen novel called The Changeover that is delightfully witchy and wonderful to read.

#59 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

I did enjoy the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice. But two books that I loved were Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquival and The Witches Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge by Florida Donner-Grau. The protagonist in Like Water for Chocolate was never called a witch if I remember correctly but it was a very witchy, magical book. The one by Florida Donner-Grau may have been based on her actual experiences. I don't remember now. She was a student of Carlos Castenada, I believe. I think I'm going to have to reread those two actually.

#60 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

I absolutely LOVED "Uprooted" by Naomi Novik - she uses her familial knowledge of Slavic fairy tales and Baba Yaga to spin this fabulousness. Highly recommend it.