61 replies to this topic

#21 Faerydae

Faerydae

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi

Have you read any of the Anne Rice witch books? I've only read one (I thnk there's 4 or 5) but it was quite good. Although not esp. about withces the Bernard Cornwall Arthur books are also interesting. :)

#22 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hi

Have you read any of the Anne Rice witch books? I've only read one (I thnk there's 4 or 5) but it was quite good. Although not esp. about withces the Bernard Cornwall Arthur books are also interesting. :)

I have read the first two of the Mayfair Witches books. I quite liked them but am a fan of Anne Rice's older works anyway.

I finished the first two books of the Wicked series (not the wizard of Oz remake) and I have mixed feelings about them. I ended up likeing them well enough to read them, not sure if I will pick up the next two. They have put two novels into one book for this series, so the first two were actually just one book. They leave you hanging and I suppose that it is going to require all four books to actually bring the initial story to a conclusion. The authors take the POV that witches are mostly evil or good. Lots of "black" and "white" thrown about with some "gray". Also, there was a sentence in the first one about wicca being THE authentic witchcraft. Only the inheritance/familial witchs & warlocks have any REAL power...everyone else is jus small time. The bad guys are warlocks worshipping the horned one and the good guys are witches worshipping the goddess...you get the idea. Once I mentally got past all this though, the actual battle between good and evil has been pretty good.

#23 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

Can't forget The Dresden Files! Crazy ass wizard. lol
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -- Catherine Aird

#24 sue_ann

sue_ann

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

Finished Black Magic Woman and now on the sequel Evil Ways. BMW was a great witchy read the story stems from the Salem trials and a family grudge resulting in a black magic curse to modern day. It has a few vampires and demons briefly thrown in for good measure, a bit of voodoo and South African tagati, sangomas and muti. Face paced, humerous and I couldnt put it down. It's basically good witch and companion hunting down bad witch with a few twists. I recommend.

Just finished Evil Ways, and a bloody good book. Not that good at reviews so I will give the basics.

The bad guy follows on from Black Magic Woman. Nasty evil man who employs even nastier wizard, in turn all the fluffy bunny white witches are being assassinated so they can't interfere in a ritual. Our heroes and FBI agents hunt nasty evil bad man and naughty magician, whilst in the meantime left hand witches continue to murder children for body parts for ritual. All this leads to a ritual on Warpurgis night to give the big bad man eternal life. Well it all kicks off like an episode of 24 on its final hours fast paced with good witches v's not so good witches. The bit I did love was Butcher lending the name of character Harry Dresden (very briefly) and the pub he hangs out in, nice touch.

Now gotta wait until next year for the next instalment.

#25 sue_ann

sue_ann

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

Just wondered if anyone has read The Lost Book Of Salem by Katherine Howe I am about half way through and just loving it can't put it down. It skips between 1692 Witch Trails and 1990's with a young girl searching for a missing book of 'physick' I'll do a review when I have finished it which will be pretty soon, off to the patio to read some more as we in the UK are enjoying a super hot heatwave and there is nothing like a good book outside on a warm evening surrounded by bird song.

#26 Wollf

Wollf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

The fiction books written by Silver Ravenwolf (yes I know she's a Wiccan PowerPuff Girl) are quite good. Well I enjoyed them and to be honest the characters are not wiccany and fluffy (well not much). She's wrote three books and their in a sequel which is good and it's the genre of the book is like "Witchy Crime". Some good twists and a nice overall storyline.

#27 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

I have so many! It's my secret embarrassing vice lol
Lets see....
Monica Furlong's Wise Child, Juniper, and Coleman were amazing!
Celia Reeses Witch Child was great, however I havn't read her other books yet.
I have read the Sweep/Wicca (I KNOW! LOL) by Cate Tiernan, which were enjoyable for what they where...pure fluff!
Ill stop before I embarrass myself. lol

#28 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Just wondered if anyone has read The Lost Book Of Salem by Katherine Howe I am about half way through and just loving it can't put it down. It skips between 1692 Witch Trails and 1990's with a young girl searching for a missing book of 'physick' I'll do a review when I have finished it which will be pretty soon, off to the patio to read some more as we in the UK are enjoying a super hot heatwave and there is nothing like a good book outside on a warm evening surrounded by bird song.

I havent heard of this one. Sounds interesting.

#29 Redd

Redd

Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:22 AM

Anything by Cate Tiernan. I absolutely love the Sweep series and the Balefire quartet.

Also, the Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

-Andy

Powers of the Witches rise, course unseen across the skies. Through blackest night and brightest day, I call you now to come my way.

#30 spider*lily

spider*lily

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

I really enjoyed 'Witch Child' by Celia Rees. It's actually meant to be Junior Fiction (!) but it's gripping and I found it hard to put down. Set in the 1600s, the story goes like this:

"Mary's grandmother is executed for witchcraft, and Mary is forced to leave her home to avoid the same fate. At first she flees to the English countryside, but when the atmosphere of superstition and suspicion becomes all consuming she leaves on a boat for America in the hope that she can start over and forget her past. But during the journey, she realises that the past is not so easy to escape." (Amazon review)

The sequal is called 'Sorceress', also a great read. I had a mate visiting a while back and both of us are avid Clive Barker fans. He saw these books on my shelf - I was totally expecting him to pay out on me but he said he'd read them too and loved them!

#31 Angelus

Angelus

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

Can't forget The Dresden Files! Crazy ass wizard. lol

I love the Dresden Files! I've read all of them and am waiting eagerly for the new one! April of every year.

#32 Leachcraft

Leachcraft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

I love the Dresden Files! I've read all of them and am waiting eagerly for the new one! April of every year.

I'm a huge fan of the Dresden Files. Definitely my favorite Urban Fantasy series...I've read them all and am currently reading the graphic novel version of Storm Front.

There is no spoon...

#33 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:48 AM

Fantatic thread!!! I'm not into the vampirey thing at all, but finding "witchy" fiction without it, or werewolves etc is pretty hard. I knew about Celia Rees...she, and Cate Tiernan are on my "To Read" list.

LOVED the Lost Book of Salem!!! I'd really recommend that one - bit witchy, bit booky, bit romantic...what's not to like? :) (Bit girly too though) Here's one for the boys - Jake Arnott's The Devil's Paintbrush. Arnott wrote "He Kills Coppers"...it was made into a TV thing a while back. Aleister Crowley's a character in this book, and there's a really good bit about the use of tailsmans in it. Adult read, mind.

Other novels I've found and enjoyed:

The Witches Trinity by Erika Mailman
The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow
Book of Shadows by Paula Brackston
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (WAY different from the film)
The Owl Service by Alan Garner (juvenile read, and an oldie from my childhood by re-read it recently and it's still magical)
The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (read this as a teenager, it's one of a trilogy about Arthur, Merlin and Morgana, not sure if it's still in print)

Once I'm finished The Sorceror's Tale by Alec Ryrie (non-fictional tale of a lesser known magician along the lines of Dee and Agrippa), I'm going to read The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland.

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#34 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:20 AM

The Crystal cave is a great book, read that when I was in my teens too...You can still get a copy easily on amazon...In fact I might pick up a copy just to see if was a good as I remember...

#35 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

Incidently, has anyone read 'The Resurrection Murders' By Donald Michael kraig, The guy who wrote 'Modern magick' ? Sounds like it could be an alright read..

#36 Kayt

Kayt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

I'm a voracious reader and love this post! I recently stumbled upon Paula Brackston's book, "The Witch's Daughter". It's a bit on the Wiccan side, but the nature appreciation and the character's reliance on herbs, as well as the story itself, makes up for it! I'm only 3/4 of the way through, so I can't vouch for the ending! But it is well written and very engaging.

#37 artemis13

artemis13

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

The books that I like with a witchy flair are:
Madelyn Alt's Bewitching mysteries- has a wiccan slant and are cozy mysteries.
Juliet Blackwell's Witchcraft mysteries
Shirley Damsgaard's Ophelia & Abby mysteries

#38 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Alys Clare's Aelf Fen mysteries. They are set in East Anglia in the 11th century. Herbalism, mystery and magic, lots of old ways vs new ways. A bit Wiccan-y in some bits, but still very enjoyable.

Edited by Kupala, 03 February 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#39 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

I don't often read actual "witchy" fiction because it is too off for me, but I do enjoy fantasy fiction (not sci-fi, space fiction) and I have been reading the Muirwood fantasy trilogy and totally enjoying it. In reading some of the author's notes, the quotes he uses have been taken from actual occult-type tomes and I've found it very good reading and at some points rather apropos certain parts of the path.

M

#40 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

I read Kelley Armstrong, though she's just finished her Women of the Otherworld series (13 books in total). It is all set in one world with different protagonists each book, mainly werewolves and witches. I really enjoy her writing style :smile: (She also wrote a couple of trillogy younge adult series set in the same world but with younger protagonists.)

Also, the Sabina Kane series by Jaye Wells is very good. It's about vampires at first glance, but witches/mages play a strong role and are major characters throughout the 5 book series. I enjoyed it and will definitely be reading any other series that she writes.

I very much enjoyed the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice, though it's been a long time since I read those. Maybe time for a re-read!

I read a lot of Urban Fantasy, and most of those have witches in there in some form or another. But I can't think of any off the top of my head (other than those just mentioned) that have witches as protagonists or as other main characters. The genre seems saturated with vampires and werewolves though! Not that that's a bad thing, when done right :smile:

Edited by Aurelia, 29 March 2013 - 01:02 AM.