Encyclopedia of Natural Magic

Lex

I found this book yesterday and so far it seems very cool. Has anyone else seen/read this? I like how the author (John Michael Greer) steers clear of fluffy bunny stuff, and how I haven't once read the word wicca or goddess, which is amazing considering the content of most of the books in that section! It seems to be just a practical guide to Natural Magic...

Thoughts? I for one am totally digging what this book has to offer.

(I haven't finished it yet- these opinions are formed on the basis of reading 25 pages. Hopefully they wont change!)

It's not bad, I have it and agree it could have gone a little bit more in depth. I will say this. I had a question regarding the author's opinions on harvesting magical herbs and contacted him.

He is a very, very nice man :)

• 1 month later...

I just bought this book today (and as I'm on the Internet, see that amazon's price is better... After calculating in shipping and handling, may go return it tomorrow and buy online instead!)

Anyway, it's good, pretty much just what I was looking for. It definately could include more as far as herbs and stones, so I agree that it could be bigger. I don't think I can criticize the depth of it because the title does say *practical* and with too much information books can quickly become impractical. The brevity but usefulness of this book was exactly what I set out to find. I love that he includes in the descriptions of herbs what parts of the plant is used and things to beware of. The last section, what he calls a workbook, is great. At least the idea of it, I honestly haven't read through it yet. But what it is is brief run-downs if how to do things like make sachets, soaps, infusions, etc. Stuffed you'd be wanton to do with the information in the book about herbs and stones and stuff. I wish he would have included tinctures in this section though. All in al I like this a lot and am happy with my purchase, it's been helpful to me already. The first chapter of the book has some good reading too. I enjoy some of his metophores for things a lot.

I plan to get this book sometime, i like the series of encyclopedias. I do have to mention that i have two other greer books and while this may seem to stear clear of wicca, a few of his others have wiccan undertones, but those are always easy to clear and move past.

I do have the book in my to read pile. So, its now in my read to/from Oregon this week and next. Hopefully I'll have it finished even before I get to Oregon!!!!

Pretty sure you will finish it. The majority of the book is the "meat" of the encyclopedia, so unless you love reading dictionaries... lol. So, at least to me, the meat of it is more something to flip through as interested. But there is the Magic Workbook in the back and the info in the front. Excited to year what you think when you return.

And how exciting, a road trip to Oregon! I'll be headed to your part of the country in a couple months. Excited to escape the heat here!

So, you're saying that I should bring some other books to actually read? LOL.......I also have 2 spell books I've gotten over the last 6 months to "flip thru" on the trip.

If you're coming to Chicago, make sure you send me a PM and if you're close enough, maybe we can hook up!!!!

So, you're saying that I should bring some other books to actually read? LOL.......I also have 2 spell books I've gotten over the last 6 months to "flip thru" on the trip.

If you're coming to Chicago, make sure you send me a PM and if you're close enough, maybe we can hook up!!!!

Ya, I don't think bringing something else along too would be a bad idea.

Hay, that would be neat. I will be there for about three weeks visiting family just outside Chicago. Sometimes we take day trips into the city so maybe that would be possible. Know of any occult shops or anything particularly of interest to we witchy people in the city?