About Hoodoo...

Amber

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can recommend any decent books on Hoodoo...

I did find this one online.. but don't want to spend out on a book until I've heard a few suggestions, so hope you guys might be able to help.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sticks-Stones-Roots-Bones-Conjuring/dp/0738702757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237678180&sr=8-1

Thanks in advance :help:

I just got a book called "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" By Catherine Yrowonde, and I'm finding it very interesting and informative. Lots of herbs listed and cross referenced, and even some suggested uses and spells for them.

I would recommend it! Also, her site is very interesting as well and probably worth a look.

Anything by Catherine Yronwode, hands down. I also have the Stick and Stones, Roots and Bones book and I like it as well.

If you can get your hands on the Witch's Formulary by Tarostar, get it. It's hard to find and I've seen some copies going for 50 - 75 dollars.

Anything by Catherine Yronwode, hands down. I also have the Stick and Stones, Roots and Bones book and I like it as well.

If you can get your hands on the Witch's Formulary by Tarostar, get it. It's hard to find and I've seen some copies going for 50 - 75 dollars.

Oh YEAH! I just ordered a copy of the Witch's Formulary by Tarostar on Amazon for 12.95!!!!

Oh YEAH! I just ordered a copy of the Witch's Formulary by Tarostar on Amazon for 12.95!!!!

Lea.. I've checked on Amazon.. it says the Witches Spellbook by Tarostar is the price you quoted, but the Formulary is ?19.95- used. Do you think they're the same book.. or different? There's no image, which makes it difficult to tell!

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can recommend any decent books on Hoodoo...

I did find this one online.. but don't want to spend out on a book until I've heard a few suggestions, so hope you guys might be able to help.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sticks-Stones-Roots-Bones-Conjuring/dp/0738702757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237678180&sr=8-1

Thanks in advance :help:

Ok...WHEW! Now that I actually have a free moment or two to respond to this...here is what I have :

HOODOO MYSTERIES, Folk Magic, Mysticism, & Rituals, by: Ray Malbrough, ISBN:0-7387-0350-8 (THIS is a book based on insider secrets of good ole Louisiana)

HOODOO MEDICINE, Gullah Herbal Remedies, by Faith Mitchell, ISBN: 1-88771433-2

Now these are on Hoodoo...hit me up if you want books about Voodoo and stuff :)

Lea.. I've checked on Amazon.. it says the Witches Spellbook by Tarostar is the price you quoted, but the Formulary is ?19.95- used. Do you think they're the same book.. or different? There's no image, which makes it difficult to tell!

Oh, shit! I hope I did not order the wrong book.

I did a search and did not see it listed as just "The Witches Formulary" by Tarostar, but found it listed as "Witches Formulary and Spellbook" by Tarostar. Sorry I left that out of the title in my original post...get so freaking excited....lol.

I did a search on Ebay and found one for 35.21 w/free shipping.

I think this is the correct one. I found that Tarostar does have a book titled "The Witches Spellcraft"....so I feel like the one I ordered is the correct one. I have attached a picture of the cover on the one I ordered. Thank you Amber!

1584_thumb.attach

HOODOO MYSTERIES, Folk Magic, Mysticism, & Rituals, by: Ray Malbrough, ISBN:0-7387-0350-8 (THIS is a book based on insider secrets of good ole Louisiana)

Thanks Anjel.... I ended up ording the book above.. and I'm busy trying to get my hands on the Witches Formulary too... I do definitely feel led to looking at Hoodoo practices.. so these have helped. :lol_witch:

I have stick, stone, roots and bones and it is worth the pennies it's my fav book on my shelf, I have "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" By Catherine Yrowonde on my wish list to buy at the end of the month but it is not easy to get hold of in the UK and if you track down a copy it's kinda expensive. I am now off to check out Witch's Formulary by Tarostar.

As for Ray Malbrough I have his book charms, spells and formulas about hoodoo magick but taking time out on this book and would be interested to hear anyone else's opions on on it, unfortunately after years of wicca this and wicca that I find it hard not pick up a non-wiccan book without reading between the lines, wicca!

I have stick, stone, roots and bones and it is worth the pennies it's my fav book on my shelf, I have "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" By Catherine Yrowonde on my wish list to buy at the end of the month but it is not easy to get hold of in the UK and if you track down a copy it's kinda expensive. I am now off to check out Witch's Formulary by Tarostar.

As for Ray Malbrough I have his book charms, spells and formulas about hoodoo magick but taking time out on this book and would be interested to hear anyone else's opions on on it, unfortunately after years of wicca this and wicca that I find it hard not pick up a non-wiccan book without reading between the lines, wicca!

I like Rays books.

Ohhhh I am super-happy!

I was scouting around for the Witches Formulary... there was one on ebay.. for ?24 excl. p&p... and I very nearly bought it, but something held me back. The very next morning, another seller put the very same book on for 99p. I wrote to him, asked him if he'd change it to 'buy it now', made him an offer.. and got it for ?11 including p&p.... yay yay and a bit more yay thrown in.. I'm so pleased! (This was one of those, follow your gut feeling incidents.. I so very nearly bought the expensive one!) :party:

I placed my order on Amazon UK last night for "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" By Catherine Yrowonde paid ?28.14 for it :cry:expensive but cheapest I could find, just got an email saying that they didn't have stock after all nearest I can get is ?31.00 + delivery... so onto Amazon US site where the book is $14.95 and I used express delivery at $12.48 so I got it for ?18.62 and saved myself a tenner:carrot:

In the UK this book is extremely expensive Amazon US site is where to go if you want to buy it.

I placed my order on Amazon UK last night for "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" By Catherine Yrowonde paid ?28.14 for it :cry:expensive but cheapest I could find, just got an email saying that they didn't have stock after all nearest I can get is ?31.00 + delivery... so onto Amazon US site where the book is $14.95 and I used express delivery at $12.48 so I got it for ?18.62 and saved myself a tenner:carrot:

In the UK this book is extremely expensive Amazon US site is where to go if you want to buy it.

Thanks for that.. it makes sense to shop around doesn't it?! :dancing:

Yeah! Sue and Amber! It is always a good feeling when we save on our books.

I just added these to my collection:

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic,

HOODOO MEDICINE Gullah Herbal Remedies,

Sticks/Stones/Roots/Bones, and

HOODOO MYSTERIES, Folk Magic, Mysticism, & Rituals

Got them all for under $50 with S/H. :witch_bounce:

I'm glad someone put this up, I have heard negative reviews on this book, I have put off buying, so its great to see some of you who like it (as we seem to enjoy a lot of the same authors) it. Whoever has it, could you put a review in the section please ?:wavex:

I like The Cat Yronewode one, Some of the Stephanie Rose Bird one is good, if a little 'new agey' in places.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got a book called "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" By Catherine Yrowonde, and I'm finding it very interesting and informative. Lots of herbs listed and cross referenced, and even some suggested uses and spells for them.

I would recommend it! Also, her site is very interesting as well and probably worth a look.

This one is now added to my Amazon Wish List :witchnana: I've been looking for a decent book on Hoodoo for some time now and I really love the Lucky MoJo site and saw this one advertised on there a couple of weeks ago so it's definitely one to get :)

Edited by Enlightenment

I'm so glad most of you mentioned Catherine Yrowonde. I stumbled upon her website today, and was very interested in hoodoo. Did a little search here on TW to see what you all had to say, and was surprised that some of you brought her name up. Also, I'm definitely putting Witch's Formulary on my wishlist! Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...

Ordered Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic for $13 at Amazon... It's been a week so far and they still haven't shipped it. Sent Amazon an email about it and they said they had to backorder it and I should expect it to be shipped June 12-21!!! :grind: I'm pretty impatient, but I did get some other books in the mail that I'll be keeping myself busy until then. Witch's Formulary and Spellbook by Tarostar for $13 and I'm waiting on Utterly Wicked by Morrison. Amazon (U.S) is THE place to get books. They're so cheap!

• 3 weeks later...
Ok...WHEW! Now that I actually have a free moment or two to respond to this...here is what I have :

HOODOO MEDICINE, Gullah Herbal Remedies, by Faith Mitchell, ISBN: 1-88771433-2

Now these are on Hoodoo...hit me up if you want books about Voodoo and stuff :)

Hi AnjelWolf, could you please suggest any books on voodoo as well please? I already have Jambalaya. thx