* * * * * 2 votes

Apple Cidar Vinegar

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:02 AM

I have been reading info on ACV and decided to try it out on a regular basis and see what takes place. I have read that it may help with weight loss, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. (all pertain to myself) I get so pissed off because it is hard to find the truth behind such claims because the FDA and the AMA has to have their greedy fricking hands in anything that is not going to make them a dime.

Thought it would be interesting to see if any of you use it, what you use it for, the formula you use, and what results do you achieve. Also, if you are a fan of it's use, do you use the kind with mother.

I will let you know how my trial run of it turns out, don't figure I have anything to lose. If all goes ok, I will try it for a month.

#2 Grimalkin

Grimalkin

The grumpy one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

I take it daily. Along with flaxseed oil, omega 3, garlic, vitamins, foxglove. Keeps the ol' ticker running...lol

Posted Image
Life's only souvenir is the love we have for each other.

#3 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

Sorry to be off topic, but you take Foxglove. I'd be so nervous to recommend that to anyone considering is therapeutic margin. I'd be interested to know how much you take.

#4 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

I take two teaspoons twice a day in water on week days~ I take the weekends off. If you have not been there yet, check out earthclinic.com ~ lots of info there.

I use the kind with mother. And I do not add baking soda, your body will apparently convert the acids to usable form very quickly. Some people have had weight gain when they added the baking soda into the mix. It's better than caffeine for a fast pick-me-up in the morning (saying this while I sit with my glass of water and vinegar and a mug of tea together...)

If you have not seen my flu remedy post, it contains an ACV recipe for those times where your body gives in to illness and you need a fast fix.

#5 Grimalkin

Grimalkin

The grumpy one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

I use granulated foxglove (Digitalis) for more precise measuring....add 15 grams to 1 liter of distilled water. Then I take no more than 2 cc per 24 hour period.

Edited by Grimalkin, 16 March 2009 - 04:02 PM.

Posted Image
Life's only souvenir is the love we have for each other.

#6 LadyHawk

LadyHawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

I take it for four weeks then break for four weeks. I'm interested in why anyone would take baking soda as it raises blood pressure. I mix it in hot water and add a spoon of honey. To be honest it hasn't done anything for weight loss or my highblood pressure but it has helped my arthritis. I also take garlic, omega 3, cinnamon capsules. What is the kind with mother??
LadyHawk x

#7 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

I take it for four weeks then break for four weeks. I'm interested in why anyone would take baking soda as it raises blood pressure. I mix it in hot water and add a spoon of honey. To be honest it hasn't done anything for weight loss or my highblood pressure but it has helped my arthritis. I also take garlic, omega 3, cinnamon capsules. What is the kind with mother??

Isn't it odd how some of the old remedies or herbal remedies will work for some and not for others. Like with my estrogen, I tried like hell to find something natural that would work for me....but to no avail and had to resort to the rx method...which is working wonders for me...guess it could be considered a type of "natural" since it is derived from a mare's piss...lol

From what I understand, and other's please correct me if I am wrong, the cider vinegar with "mother" is what forms from the ACV not being pasturized....looks like scum floating in it. Some say the pasturization kills the natural abilities of the vinegar.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself could expound on the "mother".

#8 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

Lea, you're correct. ACV with "mother" is unpasteurized. Just like the "starter" for sourdough bread, it can be used to make more ACV. It's considered to be more healthful, just like virtually anything else that hasn't been over-processed.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#9 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

I use granulated foxglove (Digitalis) for more precise measuring....add 15 grams to 1 liter of distilled water. Then I take no more than 2 cc per 24 hour period.

Thanks, very interesting. Its so hard to tell how much to give of something like that. Tons of factors involved, sounds like you've got it down to a science.

#10 rosielj

rosielj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

I make a sort of tonic with cider vinegar. I put cloves of garlic into a small bottle of it, let it seep for a few weeks, then take a couple of spoonfuls every morning. Not the most pleasant taste in the world, but I think it works for me!

#11 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:21 AM

I tried it off and on, it didn't do anything for weight loss, which was what I was taking it for, but I did find that I could not wear any jewelry everything made my skin turn black.
“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#12 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

I tried it off and on, it didn't do anything for weight loss, which was what I was taking it for, but I did find that I could not wear any jewelry everything made my skin turn black.

Oh me! That is not good. If I have any adverse reaction to it, I will not take it. So far, I have been sick with something, so I am only doing it on the weekend, just in case it puts me through a "cleansing". Read somewhere that it would cleanse your liver, so I can't afford to take any chances.:(

#13 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Oh, I love the stuff with the "mother" still there! it's the ONLY stuff that helped me lose weight, and keep my sugars down. It's time for me to order some right now!

#14 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Oh, I love the stuff with the "mother" still there! it's the ONLY stuff that helped me lose weight, and keep my sugars down. It's time for me to order some right now!

I have never tried it with "Mother" in it, I wonder if there would be a difference there and how my body is effected. What is it called with Mother in it, so that I can check it out?

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#15 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:39 AM

I have never tried it with "Mother" in it, I wonder if there would be a difference there and how my body is effected. What is it called with Mother in it, so that I can check it out?

Usually the bottle will say "with mother" on the label. If the cider is in a clear bottle, you can see sediment. If the cider you buy says that it is unpasteurized, then it likely contains mother. (aside-Such a strange word to use, isn't it?)

#16 PaganMama

PaganMama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

Isn't it odd how some of the old remedies or herbal remedies will work for some and not for others. Like with my estrogen, I tried like hell to find something natural that would work for me....but to no avail and had to resort to the rx method...which is working wonders for me...guess it could be considered a type of "natural" since it is derived from a mare's piss...lol

From what I understand, and other's please correct me if I am wrong, the cider vinegar with "mother" is what forms from the ACV not being pasturized....looks like scum floating in it. Some say the pasturization kills the natural abilities of the vinegar.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself could expound on the "mother".

I, too, would prefer to use natural remedies over the rx, my hormonal issues caused me to have to go on 'the pill' lol which is funny to most cuz I cant get pregnant. I also have hormonal migraines that nothing but excedrin will touch. So the taking of the pill has helped also with that area. I take a prenatal vitamin... just cuz I like it the best, flax seed oil, sometimes a vitamin b supplement, but rare, when I need n energy boost. Ive been feeling blah lately, due to a combo of things. never lasts long.
I have bathed in apple cider vinegar, but ive never drank it. how is it mixed? smells yucky, I am not one for yucky. lol

#17 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

I, too, would prefer to use natural remedies over the rx, my hormonal issues caused me to have to go on 'the pill' lol which is funny to most cuz I cant get pregnant. I also have hormonal migraines that nothing but excedrin will touch. So the taking of the pill has helped also with that area. I take a prenatal vitamin... just cuz I like it the best, flax seed oil, sometimes a vitamin b supplement, but rare, when I need n energy boost. Ive been feeling blah lately, due to a combo of things. never lasts long.
I have bathed in apple cider vinegar, but ive never drank it. how is it mixed? smells yucky, I am not one for yucky. lol

I have tried taking vitamins and my body rejects them, so, guess I don't need them. I do have to take Vit D3 since, according to the blood test, I have almost none, due to almost NO sun around up here. I take 1000 - 2000 IU per day. That is one reason I will appreciate the sun when I get back home. Vit D3 deficiency causes a whole hell of a lot of problems.

I have learned to "listen" to my body and do what is necessary to take care of whatever is out of balance. I get so tired of all the crap all the sellers "claim" all the natural stuff does for you. I say hooray for those it does work on, but I am leary to buy too much because of all the stuff in the past I have tried and it did not work for me.

I like the taste of vinegar (especially salt/vinegar potato chips! lol). So I mix up a couple of teaspoons in a glass of water with a tad bit of honey. I also like it on my salad, fish/chips, etc. A very good tenderizer for steak. No, sorry, I have to have my steak, so I could never give up red meat. I don't eat it as often as I did in the past, but treat myself every once in a while. I look at it like as long as my body is okay with it, I can have whatever I want, just keep it balanced and reasonable.

#18 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

I tried ACV and it didn't do anything for me but make me burp alot.....how lady like! Gave it up after about 3 wks. Oh well! :lol_witch:
Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#19 PaganMama

PaganMama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

I'm not a huge fan of any kind of vinegar, though the salt n vinegar chips arent bad, I can only handle so many. Pickled sauces tho, made from vinegar im good with.
I tried a tspn in a glass of water and just drank it down, lol it didnt hit me till after I was done, wasnt too bad, but I do have to sweeten it up some.

I like using natural herbs for different remedies, aloe is a big one in my household. I love the sunshine, also. I use rosemary when i cook, and Im a big meat fan also. esp around 'that' time of month, I crave it something fierce. Oil and vinegar dressing for salads ... its better with the combo of other stuff and salt, i agree totally. maybe ill start using that, ill eat more dressings without worrying about my weight. :) I have been 'dieting' excercising more, and watching what I eat, and have lost 7-10 inches( i dont know exactly where I began) . im slowing down a bit, ive been on excercise sabatical for 2 weeks, lol.

#20 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:00 AM

I have a bottle of the unpasteurised stuff - I bought my bottle, opened it up, poured a 1/4 cup into a glass with a tich of water and chugged it! I:eek: Not a good idea. My entire body went into some sort of SHOCK thing and then my stomach felt like it was on fire and I puked. Yeah - so make sure you don't chug the stuff straight.

I do like to use the vinegar in salad dressings which essentially sound like a tonic since my dressings have raw honey, garlic, herbs etc.

I've not noticed any health benefits though.