• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ayla

Ayla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

I know a little about Persian witchcraft and folklaw, mythology etc does anyone else have any interest or knowledge in this?

Some of it is definately specific to Iran, but some of it i think is more about muslim tales, i.e. Jinn and deevs. Especially as the geographical area of iran used to be much larger a few hundred years ago.

I've had a search and found a thread on 'djinn' (which must be what i call jinn') but it was quite a while ago! I showed my husband a picture of an Imp that Sandy had drawn in a thread i think in 2006 (yes i have been using the search button ALOT :grin_witch:) and he said the picture was 'jinn'! I showed him a typical fairy and he wasn't sure as Jinn don't generally have wings. But they can appaear in many forms.

Interesting eh? We say pixie/elf/imp/fae they say jinn?

What do you guys think? Anyone else have any experience of jinn?

(Not sure if this should be in here or in the myths and legends bit, please move if i've put in wrong place!)

Edited by Ayla, 05 March 2009 - 11:54 AM.
added the bit in brackets!

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

I just read the Pillars of Tubal Cain (great book) and they went a lot into the Persion thing, tracing connections back, etc.. I believe the Cultis Sabbati also traces a connection back, but you'd have to read some of their stuff.

#3 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

I know a little about Persian witchcraft and folklaw, mythology etc does anyone else have any interest or knowledge in this?

Some of it is definately specific to Iran, but some of it i think is more about muslim tales, i.e. Jinn and deevs. Especially as the geographical area of iran used to be much larger a few hundred years ago.

I've had a search and found a thread on 'djinn' (which must be what i call jinn') but it was quite a while ago! I showed my husband a picture of an Imp that Sandy had drawn in a thread i think in 2006 (yes i have been using the search button ALOT :grin_witch:) and he said the picture was 'jinn'! I showed him a typical fairy and he wasn't sure as Jinn don't generally have wings. But they can appaear in many forms.

Interesting eh? We say pixie/elf/imp/fae they say jinn?

What do you guys think? Anyone else have any experience of jinn?

(Not sure if this should be in here or in the myths and legends bit, please move if i've put in wrong place!)

Yes I am interested in it as well as some others are on here too.

I'm in a time crunch right now but will post more about this later :)

#4 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Persian witchcraft is something ive been interested in but never knew where to start let alone know anyone to talk to about it. I would be interested in hearing more from anyone here who knows anything about it :)
"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#5 Ayla

Ayla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

It would be great to share some of my knowledge with you guys!

In Iran many people, although as anywhere beleif is dying out with modern society, but still many people go to see witches to fix their problems, or indeed to make problems. Now my husband doesn't call them witches, he would just say 'some man' or 'old woman' but i will ask him what their name is in farsi.

I'm pretty sure all of them, if not the vast majority use books, often passed down from their parent/s. there are two types one is a spell book, with actual spells, what to write, when to do it, etc and one is a form of divination. But it is extrememly precise. For instance they would talk to you, get your name and your mothers name and open a page, and read a couple of lines which for example could read ' you had a bad accident when you were 12, your auntie is dead, you will marry, beware of your wifes brother he will be jealous etc etc. It is very precise in my opinion.
Many have jinn, they can tell you the future, they can also take spells to people. Their powers are endless, not to be messed with!

With this information they can ask the witch to perform spells, for a fee of course, anything from $5 to $1000. 'black magic' (I can't really think of a better term, its the word my husband uses) costs more. So things like closing someones job, stopping money flowing into their house, splitting couples up, causing physical pain etc To unlock these spells cost significantly less but can take time, depending on how powerful the witch is. They can also send jinn to give people nightmares (which are horrendous) and also disturb someone enough to make them run from their home.

It is always passed down, from one parent to one or more of their children, they will inherit the books, and as far as i know the skills, etc are learnt from the parent.

Oh i have so many stories to tell! I am so happy i've found somewhere to share all this knowledge. :flyaway: I should probably write it all down somewhere!

#6 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Well, this is an interesting thread.  Perhaps, someone will want to continue it.  I do not have any Persian ancestry, at least not that I have discovered.  We have had several conversations, which mention djinn.  Anyway, I like learning about different people and practices, so . . .

#7 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

I actually wish there was more info about Middle Eastern magic on the forums. I've read through the multiple threads on djinn but can't really find much more than that. Maybe I'm just not using the correct keywords.

Anyways, I know next to nothing about Persian witchcraft and mythology and I would love to get a good idea of where to start and get information about it. Mainly my focus of Middle Eastern magic has been on Egypt, although it technically isn't really in the Middle East. My SO is Egyptian (and Italian) but he was raised in Egypt and had a few old books from Saudi Arabia he picked up years ago. He's been doing spells and incantations out of them since he was about 8 and I really want to find something like them translated into english. They're translated from some old language into Arabic. I just want to be able to find something substantial and old that is translated into english and that just isn't seemingly possible, apparently.

Edited by Chloe, 05 January 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#8 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

Magic in MY Persian household growing up was and is all about family and tradition. Food and magic in the kitchen from the morning until the evening. The women and usually a lot of us kids upstairs with the women threading their eyebrows and dressing their eyes inbetween divining about love and success. Sewing charms into clothing and scarves for protection and to draw romance. The men downstairs playing backgammon and drinking tea yelling at each other loudly over seemingly nothing. Magic was in the blood of the animals slaughtered for family gatherings and in the dressings of the table for Nowruz (New Year). It is all very unspoken and matter of fact. Unlike my mothers side which definitely has a much more recognized and governed tradition to their craft.