• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:51 AM

I promise that I tried the search button first- and found nothing.
Please someone let me know if there are threads about this.

I'm sort of afraid to post this because it sounds so corny, but here it goes:

Does anyone here read tea leaves? I'm completely fascinated by the concept. My husband is blindingly good at it. One day he did it for fun and found that it worked, and it is just amazing what he sees- my last reading I got a Spanish dancer and a Victoria gentleman in a top hat carrying gifts- I mean, wow, I only saw tea leaves.

If anyone here does this, is it possible to describe how it works for you? There are so many websites about this, but I'd be really interested to hear a more personal take on it. Does anyone have a really great story about having their tea leaves read? I do feel silly asking about this for some reason but I am really interested in hearing some responses.:D

#2 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

I promise that I tried the search button first- and found nothing.
Please someone let me know if there are threads about this.

I'm sort of afraid to post this because it sounds so corny, but here it goes:

Does anyone here read tea leaves? I'm completely fascinated by the concept. My husband is blindingly good at it. One day he did it for fun and found that it worked, and it is just amazing what he sees- my last reading I got a Spanish dancer and a Victoria gentleman in a top hat carrying gifts- I mean, wow, I only saw tea leaves.

If anyone here does this, is it possible to describe how it works for you? There are so many websites about this, but I'd be really interested to hear a more personal take on it. Does anyone have a really great story about having their tea leaves read? I do feel silly asking about this for some reason but I am really interested in hearing some responses.:D

No reason to be afraid to post anything, and no its not corny. I didn't happen to find any posts either.. but I am sure that I did see something by someone maybe in passing in some post. Anyhow, I would love to be able to do this myself read tea leaves that is. If I remember right KitchenWitch has or does this.. not sure. I know the concept and have tea leaves but I just haven't taken the time to do it or learn it. Heck I have never tried but it is on my to try list.. LOL I too would like to here how others do it and how they determine what it means also maybe some sites that have good information on it.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#3 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

I haven't tried this yet but a couple months ago I bought this really cool cup and saucer that has all sorts of symbols painted inside the cup and in the saucer. It includes a book with it. Just haven't used it yet.

#4 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

I've never done it, but I'd love to try. I would really like to try reading coffee too. Sort of like the same thing only with the grounds. I bought a really cute tea set in Hong Kong at the "dollar store" which I was going to use for that sort of thing, but I'm lazy. lol

And don't ever be afraid to post something if you can't already find another post like it.

#5 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

I havent tried it but I do fancy giving it ago sometime. I have my eye on one of those cups too.

I did have my leaves read years ago by some old woman chain smoking fags (sorry cigarettes lol). She wasn't very good though from what i can remember so it kind of put me off.

#6 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

Reading tea leaves is a form of divination and divination is NOT corny!

Unfortunately *I* do not read tea leaves - Startella must be remembering me mentioning my grandmother, who did work at Bottom of the Cup in the French Quarter where she read cards and tea leaves. Tea leaves weren't her strong suit, though. I was very little and used to go with her. Back then it was very smoky and dark. I ought to go take a peek at it again, I haven't been there in years... but I digress.

Are you trying to learn how to do it? Or just curious about it? Your husband must be a natural - I'd love to sit and have a cup of tea with him!

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#7 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

My great Aunt Rose. Yes that really was her name read tealeaves and used to spend hours talking to me about what I saw and what it could mean. Jeez I was only a kiddy but it was fun.

I distinctly remember her chucking the last slurp of tea out the back door. Turning the white china tea cup upside down on the saucer. She turned it 3 times clockwise and once anticlockwise and then turned it back up the right way.

... Thats all I remember. She also used to "read" clouds. Very odd woman but of course back then it was all normal to me.

Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#8 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

Tasseography isn't weird or corny at all. And I find it fairly simple. The hardest part sometimes is to recognize the forms in the cup. It is also advisable to lay a paper cloth on the saucer. When topsyturving the cup it could happen that a few forms are created on this.These can also be read and are usually things that might happen in the year(s) to come or hints of things gone by - meaning that intuition is necessary.
Scientists say it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly - their wings are too small.
Who's going to explain that to the bumble bees?

Avatar from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

#9 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

I haven't tried this yet but a couple months ago I bought this really cool cup and saucer that has all sorts of symbols painted inside the cup and in the saucer. It includes a book with it. Just haven't used it yet.

I've seen that! I bought a book called "Simply Tea Leaf Reading" last year, and read it.
It's a lot of rote memorization though, the number of shapes or symbols is near infinite. Some are more obvious than others, but there's still a lot. That put me off from pursuing it further, but I might give it go with book in hand sometime.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#10 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

I remember my Nanny reading the tea-leaves for my mum. She had a big wooden table in her kitchen covered in a green baize cloth. We kids used to sit quiet as mice with a cup of weak tea and a piece of Battenburg cake each and watch. She did the upturn and twisting thing too Sands! Obviously the conversation she had with Mum went straight over our heads. We were too busy being fascinated by my Grandfather, sitting in his rocker by the fireplace. He would pour his tea several times from cup to saucer to cool it, then pour a saucer of tea for his dog taking a big slurp of it before putting it on the floor. Then he would pick it up and do it all over again, slurping it again after the dog had licked it! Yuk!!

Nanny didn't take me through reading tea leaves as I can't bear to drink it or even the smell! Put off by those endless cups of weak tea! Still eat Battenburg though! Nanny is one of my regular spirit visitors and I had a fascinating conversation with her as I was cooking in the kitchen using all my modern appliances. We compared how we do things and what we use and she was amused by my electric potato peeler!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#11 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:25 AM

Wow, thanks everyone- some great stories and recollections.

it's strange how it seems that for most people, it was a grandparent and not a parent who read tea leaves. Does anyone have any thoughts about why this might be?

And I want to apologize now if I offended people by calling it corny. I realize it was a poor choice of words. I'll figure this forum participation thing out sometime- hopefully sooner rather than later. I seem to embarrass myself more than not.
:red_witch:

Reading tea leaves is a form of divination and divination is NOT corny!

Unfortunately *I* do not read tea leaves - Startella must be remembering me mentioning my grandmother, who did work at Bottom of the Cup in the French Quarter where she read cards and tea leaves. Tea leaves weren't her strong suit, though. I was very little and used to go with her. Back then it was very smoky and dark. I ought to go take a peek at it again, I haven't been there in years... but I digress.

Are you trying to learn how to do it? Or just curious about it? Your husband must be a natural - I'd love to sit and have a cup of tea with him!

And yes, I am trying to learn how to do this myself. I had been looking around online and many of the sites are, as is mentioned, rote memorization and it seemed sterile and not very personal, although maybe it is a good place to start. That is why I was curious about what other people did, or their memories and stories of it.

My husband is a TOTAL natural, and it is like pulling teeth to get him to do it as I don't think he is a fascinated by his ability as I am. I am hoping to show him that divination is a strong point for him by asking him to read for me every so often. It is very inspiring to see. He can't really explain it though...
His grandmother (!) used to read tea leaves until she saw someone's death and the event happened within days after that- so she never did it again. I must admit to being disappointed that she stopped. I'm not sure if this is why he's reluctant.

I think I'll just jump in and start reading leaves for him and myself on a regular basis and see where that takes me. (Maybe we can compare notes?) Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

#12 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:00 AM

The endless guides interpreting symbols are folks with less imagination. Read through the symbol dictionary, and then forget it, put it out of your mind. Next try to read tea leaves. So if you saw a cane, a duck, and hand--start thinking what the symbols mean, and go from there--if you let your imagination roam and you do some word association, you might start to let your intuition take over and you can read for somebody. I always suggest reading for other people who have classic gypsy fortune teller style questions, "Will I marry this girl?" "Does he love me?" "Will my mom be okay she's sick"--these are good questions to read for. Have the question in mind before you start reading, it helps the free association. I also wouldn't suggest reading for your husband right away, because you sound as though you are pretty invested in how you want his future to turn out--that could make reading accurately a little harder in the beginning. Reading for friends is easier.

I don't read tea leaves, but that is how I interpret dream symbols.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#13 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:59 AM

I have always been facinated by this and have recently gotten into it myself ( mainly cos I love my cuppa tea ^^) I found these interesting Links on the topic.

http://www.crystalin.../tealeaves.html

http://www.magickalp...t/tea_leaf.html

http://www.mojomoon.net/tleaves.html

http://www.tasseography.com/symbol.htm

http://www.serenapowers.com/tealeaves.html

(these two links are from the site one is a symbol guide and the other one has a video guide on how to read leaves)
http://www.tea.co.uk/astro.php
http://www.tea.co.uk/astro2.php

http://tarotcanada.t.../TeaLeaves.html

http://www.crystalin.../tealeaves.html

These are Just a basic guide and an interesting read, Hope it helps those looking to get into this practice ^^ :D

"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#14 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

[quote=KitchenWitch;58994Unfortunately *I* do not read tea leaves - Startella must be remembering me mentioning my grandmother,[/quote]
That must be it KW, LOL

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#15 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

Thank-you for the sound advice, Sarasuperid, and fantastic resources, Circelilith (you are obviously the go-to girl for reading the tea leaves!)

i appreciate everybody's advice, and recollections. I started last night with some small degree of success reading for a friend! This is exciting for me because I don't know much about divination at all. Most encouraging.

#16 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

Thank-you for the sound advice, Sarasuperid, and fantastic resources, Circelilith (you are obviously the go-to girl for reading the tea leaves!)

i appreciate everybody's advice, and recollections. I started last night with some small degree of success reading for a friend! This is exciting for me because I don't know much about divination at all. Most encouraging.

lol i wouldnt call myself the go-to girl for tea leaves...i just have an obsessive complusive problem with bookmarking everything i research! ( which infuriates my partner cos there are so many bloody links in my favourites folder lmao...so he can never find anything!)

"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#17 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Never tried tea leaves, though do do coffee. I have been to a few "cup readers". What can I say..what's one mans horse is anothers german shepeard ya know? Some of the pictures made are up to the cup reader to determine-even though something may look very different to you-which is why coffee (greek/turkish) I only drink, and take a few peaks for myself.:D

#18 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

Never tried tea leaves, though do do coffee. I have been to a few "cup readers". What can I say..what's one mans horse is anothers german shepeard ya know? Some of the pictures made are up to the cup reader to determine-even though something may look very different to you-which is why coffee (greek/turkish) I only drink, and take a few peaks for myself.:D

I think divination is a tool to open up your perception and intuition. I don't think it is actually the cards themselves or the tea leaves that foretell the future. Its the witch who foretells the future and the images help her make context for her prediction.

Some oracles communicate with ancestors, spirits or other gods, and those help you interpet what they select--if you are possessed or channel them.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#19 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:15 AM

Read through the symbol dictionary, and then forget it, put it out of your mind.

I have to agree to that to 100%. Everyone has their own connections to symbols/pictures. This difference may be minute but it's there. I've learned that this applies to all divination methods. It doesn't matter if it's about card, a pendulum, a ouija board or what ever. Read the User's manual if you like and then forget it. Learning by doing is the best method.

..what's one mans horse is anothers german shepeard

Exactly. That's where the intuition play a role. For instance: a horse may mean a quick message whereas a dog may mean a loyal friend.

Scientists say it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly - their wings are too small.
Who's going to explain that to the bumble bees?

Avatar from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

#20 rosielj

rosielj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

Oh, such warm memories of the lady who lived down the lane from us when I was little!
Me and my Mum used to go and visit her, I would sit on the floor by her fire while she made us a cup of tea each, then I would listen to them chat. When Mum had finished her tea she would pass her cup over, Mary would become very serious and turn the cup in a circular motion three times then turn it upside down on the saucer, turn it back up and give my Mother a reading.
I remember sitting there expectantly hoping she would do mine! She sometimes did and I loved it. I suppose it made me feel "important" as a little girl to be included!
As I got older she would show me the shapes the tea leaves had made and point out what she could see, and what they meant to her. I was fascinated.
She also used to sit by the fire and "read" from that too.
I loved that Woman!