Aromatherapy Books ? any recommendations?

Lela

Can anyone recommend any really good books on essential oils and Aromatherapy? I was looking into getting The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood. After reading some of the 1, 2 & 3 star reviews on Amazon, I'm a little leary about spending the money on it.

For those of you who practice Aromatherapy, what are your top 3 must-have books?

Can anyone recommend any really good books on essential oils and Aromatherapy? I was looking into getting The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood. After reading some of the 1, 2 & 3 star reviews on Amazon, I'm a little leary about spending the money on it.

I'm not an aromatherapist (nor do I play one on TV ;)) but this is one book I've found invaluable over the years just for basics.

For those of you who practice Aromatherapy, what are your top 3 must-have books?

I happen to like this book extremely well. It is the first one I grab for when looking for something in connection with aromatherapy. The other book I really like is "Reference Guide for Essential Oils" by Connie & Alan Higley. This book is available from Abundant Health. HOWEVER, this book was compiled to interface with Young Living Oils. While I don't actually use Young Living Oils exclusively, the book is chocked full of information and quite usable. The massage therapist at the office I work at uses young living oils and she is the one that directed me to this book.

Those look interesting too, thanks Amber!

In my search I also found Essential Oils Desk Reference which seems pretty comprehensive.

Now, if I could only make up my mind on which one to get, LOL!

Somewhere on here search for the Aromapedia (not sure I spelled it right) link and download it FREE to your computer. I use this and save the $ on the books.

I remember that post... wish I could download it. Unfortunately it's a Windows (:razz:) program and I'm on a Mac.

I found the book The Encyclopaedia Of Essential Oils By Julia Lawless ( ISBN 0-00-714518-7) TO be a really good guide to aromathereapy. It looks at methods of extraction , herbal and folk traditions for each plant and each oil is well documented. :)

Lela, if a hard copy of the info on each oil would be of use, I can print it out to pdf for you.

If it's not too much trouble that would be much appreciated! :thankyou: If the PDF is too big to send via PM let me know and I'll send you my email address.

Got the PDF! Thanks!!!!

Also thanks for the book links too. One I already had on my wish list, the other two I haven't seen before. My wish list is getting pretty big, LOL!

Of all of the books i have on the subject, and there are many, I find Valerie Ann Worwood the best. I have The fragrant Heavens and The Fragrant Pharmacy, both which I recommend as a must :D

I like her best, too. She writes in layman's terms. I also have "Aromatherapy for the Soul" which gets a little fluffy at times but makes for an interesting read.

The company I buy my oils & hydrosols from is owned by a Certified Aromatherapist (Canada). She reads all the books and these are the three dealing strictly with Aromatherapy that they sell:

http://www.amazon.com/Aromatherapy-Z-Comprehensive-Guide-Published/dp/009190661X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236267308&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Aromatherapy-Chrissie-Wildwood/dp/0892816384/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236267352&sr=1-1

I highly recommend these 2 also...sorry for the late reply! :)

I borrowed this book from library and like it because the focus is more indepth and different than a lot of the "this is aromatherapy 101" books.

http://www.amazon.com/Aromatherapy-Subtle-Energy-Techniques-Compassionate/dp/1583940154

So, I'd recommend it along with more basic texts.

I own the Robert Tisserand book. The Art of Aromatherapy. It's a dense read and not as pretty as more modern books.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Aromatherapy-Beautifying-Properties-Essential/dp/0892810017/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236964750&sr=1-3

But it's a good book filled with much research. I use it as a reference or supplement to other more modern books.

So these books I think are excellent and a good addition to your library after you buy the Wormwood!

I figured I'd give an update as to which books I ended up getting. I decided to go with Valerie Ann Worwood's Complete Book of Essential Oils since it's the book most often recommended. Glad I got it, because it's great primer for those new to Aromatherapy like myself. However, I didn't want it to be my only reference, so I also went with The Encyclopaedia Of Essential Oils By Julia Lawless, which goes into much more detail about each oil and it's uses. Overall, the two books compliment each other quite nicely.

• 4 years later...

Bump,

I use aromatherapy a lot and recently was looking for some desk references by happy accident I ended up with the exact same books and would recommend them to any newbie. My issue was I knew lots about native plants in my area but not much about the more exotic plants out there so these books where a great help for filling in the blanks.

I wish the USA regulated essential oils at least a little because there is just so much misinformation and a lot of people dismiss it out of hand when it is a great medical tool when used correctly and with good material. I had tried ordering some sandalwood online and the crap I ended up with was more like pine sol than sandalwood very frustrating.

The Enclyopedia of Aromatherapy, by Chrissie Wildwood, is quite good. It's the only one I have on hand right now, to name. Have to dig the others out a box.

I studied aromatherapy for years, let me get back to you on this!

Bump,

I use aromatherapy a lot and recently was looking for some desk references by happy accident I ended up with the exact same books and would recommend them to any newbie. My issue was I knew lots about native plants in my area but not much about the more exotic plants out there so these books where a great help for filling in the blanks.

I wish the USA regulated essential oils at least a little because there is just so much misinformation and a lot of people dismiss it out of hand when it is a great medical tool when used correctly and with good material. I had tried ordering some sandalwood online and the crap I ended up with was more like pine sol than sandalwood very frustrating.

I had this problem as well. I ended up going to a vitamin supplement store to get mine. The oils were very good quality and a price to match which I expect from good quality product. In general I try to avoid any website or store that has a witchy theme because there are so many ignorant people out there that sell their wares after reading a few books.

This is the store where I picked up mine although I shopped in person so I could smell each oil that I purchased rather than online.

http://www.vitaminsh...|essential oils

I live way out in the middle of nowhere lol the nearest health food store type place is hours away. I have one place I go to when I get there that does great but I pretty much have to order online or I'm sol. I found Katseye Blends they are in the UK and I love their oils they are not cheap because they are great and since they come from where there is some regulations I know what I'm getting. The first order got smushed by the postal demons and they replaced the broken bottle no problem it was Mysore sandalwood so not cheap I have been really impressed with him and his oils.

• 3 years later...