Terminology

Desert Sage

I've been having a hard time with labels lately. A group will come up with a label then others will come along and co-opt it. BTW is an example. When I first came across BTW (British Traditional Witchcraft) I thought it meant everything wicca wasn't. Apparently, it did mean that originally and now its been co-opted by lineaged wiccans who can trace their roots back to Gardner and Alexander only.

So now we have TW and TIW to replace that. On a recent search for TIW I came across quite a few websites that claimed TIW was basically anyone who had been initiated into a Gardnerian or Alexandrian coven :brickwall:

I know what I'm seeking. I'm seeking to learn and share with people on a similar search to me, not necessarily the same path, but the same focus in mind. To discover the old ways. When I say old I mean no less than 1,000 years ago and preferrably much older.

So I'd like to know the sorts of things people here search for when they are trying to find information on these ways. I know a lot isn't out there, but I'm still interested in information from a purely historic and academic view.

/rant.

To me labels are meant for canned food not people. You know who you are and sorting through all the garbage out there is an unfortunate part of gaining true information.

Let the fluffies and idiots call themselves what they will - we'll all be here to dispute their ridiculous claims and set people straight :D

I think that is because you are dealing with intials and abbreviations witchcraft and wicca both start with "W", you'd best search full terms like "non-wiccan witchcraft" and "traditional witchcraft" to come across what you are really looking for.

For example, everything on the first page of this search seems relevant:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=traditional+witchcraft&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Nyxiah, I agree, but when you try to do an online search you need to have something to put in the search box.

sarasuperid, thank you. I have tried using the words fully spelt out and typing witchcraft not wicca at the end, but it just didn't seem to work. Now I have some pages to explore, thanks.

I have tried using the words fully spelt out and typing witchcraft not wicca at the end, but it just didn't seem to work. Now I have some pages to explore, thanks.

Well, if you ever find out what to type under search to eliminate the wiccan shit, let me know! I just type in traditional witch. Then I have to scroll through many pages to find anything related....and there is not much. I have pretty much given up. I have 2 or 3 links bookmarked and that is it.

To me labels are meant for canned food not people. You know who you are and sorting through all the garbage out there is an unfortunate part of gaining true information.

Let the fluffies and idiots call themselves what they will - we'll all be here to dispute their ridiculous claims and set people straight :D

Couldnt agree more why do people have to label others and put them in boxes, I am still nieve enough to think there maybe good and bad in all and folks should be judged individually not according to a preconcieved idea! OK thats my two pence worth lol

Perfectly said :)

So I looked more deeply through my search results above, and the majority were relevant, but a few were not.

Depending on what you are looking for with traditional witchcraft, will determine which sites are for you. Is traditional witchcraft "non-wiccan witchcraft" is it "ecletic witchcraft" is it "hereditary" is it "pre-wicca"? Traditional witchcraft has a lot of different meanings, I am most interested in an pre-wiccan version myself. I think there are a ton of links listed within this forum that will get you to the good stuff.

I've been having a hard time with labels lately. A group will come up with a label then others will come along and co-opt it. BTW is an example. When I first came across BTW (British Traditional Witchcraft) I thought it meant everything wicca wasn't. Apparently, it did mean that originally and now its been co-opted by lineaged wiccans who can trace their roots back to Gardner and Alexander only.

BTW was used (in the UK) for non-Wicca religious practices that included witchcraft. However, in the USA they used BTW to mean British Traditional Wicca, which confused people searching the global net.

So now we have TW and TIW to replace that. On a recent search for TIW I came across quite a few websites that claimed TIW was basically anyone who had been initiated into a Gardnerian or Alexandrian coven :brickwall:

I'm sorry, I've never encountered TIW, what does it stand for? I've seen TIW represent Traditional Irish Witchcraft, so I'm a little confused. :confused:

To discover the old ways. When I say old I mean no less than 1,000 years ago and preferrably much older.

You're seeking an unbroken line from over 1,000 years ago? :confused: Let me know when you find one, please.