Sign in to follow this  
scorpiowitch

Calling ancestors/spirits

kiara, you can always start one to be passed down. We have a memory box {cedar chest with things like my son's tags from hospital}

My grandmother was a very practical person and if I ever want her help, I go and polish and sharpen her axe which I have!

Everything I've ever read etc about summoning ancestors has always talked about it in terms of gestures of respect and when ever I clean/polish grannies axe I get the overwhealming feeling that thats something she approves of.

Hope that helps.

That's very true and I probably will do that. (My kids are being raised in a pagan manner). Thanks.

But I somehow have the feeling that there is a big piece that's missing, anyway and that's what's stopping me.

Guest Rebie
This might seem a bit odd, but I always connect with my ancestors while I am in the bath!

I find I can relax totally while lying in the water, and can meditate and go to places that I sometimes cannot in other areas of the house.(probably due to too many distractions!)

I don't find it odd. Makes sense to me. I do the same thing.

Rebie

Hello all,

when performing a ritual or a spell I like to call to the spirits of loved ones that have passed on to help me on my way.

I am interested to find out how others do it. Do you just simply ask? Do you have pieces of jewellery you use? photographs? Or do you not use them or use deities maybe?

I would be interested to hear what you do and how you do it :witchbroom:

I simply ask for the help. I have the mixed blessing of having family members and close friends who die come to 'let me know' shortly after the fact. I have only ever asked for their help- those who have come *to* me after they have died. I thought I might try asking for someone else, going to them as it were, but it feels strange to me. I prefer dealing with those who were comfortable coming to me. Maybe seeking out others is something I could work towards.

I do find that asking with the right feeling inside works just fine, but I do like some of the things to do that others have mentioned here. I think I'll try some of them too...:thinking:

Twisted_Angel,

Do you think its possible the constant little accidents have something to do with energy/power you aren't using, like a build up and its finding other ways to leak out? Would regular grounding/discharging of energy help at all?

I've never done this and wouldn't know where to start. The only ancestor I know anything about from either side is my grandmother. She taught me a hell of a lot, but she didn't class herself as a witch and when she died, she went to visit my sister several times until my sister told her she got the message (that nan was OK now). I don't have a sense of my grandmother being around at all. Her mother was a very devout christian and a very hard woman. There was no magic or love loss in that family from what I've been told.

When I do decide to call on ancestors, it will have to be generic ancestors and not my own per se. I've had an old, very strong witch-woman in my life for years coming and going as she pleases, but its only now that I'm following the path consciously that I'm aware of who she is.

Twisted_Angel,

Do you think its possible the constant little accidents have something to do with energy/power you aren't using, like a build up and its finding other ways to leak out? Would regular grounding/discharging of energy help at all?

My family will tell you that all my life I have been clumsy...I drop things, fall off flat heels, trip up adn even when driving had neat misses that could have turned nasty but for a convenient wake-up...

I always thought it was a kind of angel, someone pressing the brake before the inevitable happened. I think I may try calling him/her...

Fascinating, the different methods, I'm gonna try a combination of them.

Hello everyone,

I was looking for threads that had to do with the ancestors and i found this one!

Its funny how so many of you use a purple candle for your ancestors, in Haitian Vodoun we also use purple when serving the dead/ancestors.

I have a table set up just for the dead, my ancestors, spirits from past lives, collective ancestors ect. This table is draped in all white and has 9 glasses of water on it. One is bigger than the others and that represents "El Gran Poder" which means the great power, which i guess you can call "God." Then there are 8 smaller glasses on the table which i dedicate to "Las Comisiones" which is like the different groups of spirits that i work with. I have one for the Gipsies, Indians, Witches, Madamas, Kongo, Spirits from past lives, blood relatives, Spirits who need light, all unknown guides. In the front i have a cross which represents the spirits of the cemetery, and on the table i also have books with different prayers and spells. Around that table i have different dolls and images that represent the different guides that i have, these dolls are charged and dedicated to a specific spirit, sometimes to materialize the spirit even more an animal will be offered to the spirit.

I communicate with them using what we call in the Caribbean (Im Puerto Rican btw) "Media Union" which is basically when you are psychicly linked to the spirits and you can hear them talking to you either with words or telepathically. A ceremony we do to develop this further is called "La Misa" which is when we gather around the altar and pray and sing to the dead so they can come and give us messages, sometimes a spirit will mount someone and the spirit will speak through the possessed person and consult the living about different issues: love, money, spiritual illness, magic, ect.

I could go on and on and on, but this is basically some of what i do with the ancestors!

Houngan Bryan

Just bumping up this old thread ... thought some of the newer members would find it helpful.

I'm also just beginning to embark on this sort of work and feel a bit lost. I occasionally hear voices or have visitations (during my dreams, however) but really NOTHING that qualifies as "working" with ancestors and spirits.

And, as for my ancesters - I actually haven't met any of them but a grandfather and didn't know him well at all. I have my suspicions about who is around me regularly, however.

I'm hoping someone could tell me or direct me - how do you actually get to the point where you are communicating with ancestors and spirits on a regular basis? I need a concrete guide, I think.

Just bumping up this old thread ... thought some of the newer members would find it helpful.

I'm also just beginning to embark on this sort of work and feel a bit lost. I occasionally hear voices or have visitations (during my dreams, however) but really NOTHING that qualifies as "working" with ancestors and spirits.

And, as for my ancesters - I actually haven't met any of them but a grandfather and didn't know him well at all. I have my suspicions about who is around me regularly, however.

I'm hoping someone could tell me or direct me - how do you actually get to the point where you are communicating with ancestors and spirits on a regular basis? I need a concrete guide, I think.

I find that for me the communication is extremely subtle, to the point that if I explain it to non-witch people they just get this knowing look and smile and say "oh - so it's all in your head" which annoys the shit out of me, lol. I started out by just doing something, anything. So I would light a black candle for them on a nightly basis (when I was home) and just say "for the ancestors" when I did it. I actually have 3 candles that get lit on my North Road table nightly - one for the ancestors, one for the spirits of hearth and home, and one between the horns for the gods, wisdom, and illumination. I also leave out things for them: wine, honey, food, coffee, cigar (depending on who's wanting what, lol).I say "good morning" to them and "good night" to them, and if I have any news I sit and say it out loud to them and discuss it with them just as if they were physically sitting there.

Contact for me usually comes in the form of dreams or impulses, often when I am between wake and sleep, or in a very dropped-down state. A good example is with my house Old Lady - I was just falling asleep and got an intense craving for a cuppa tea, then a strong visual of a child's china doll tea-set I had in my shed. So I knew she was wanting a cuppa rather than the usual wine I had been leaving her.

When I have been doing a working with any of them (house/hearth spirits, ancestors, or gods) that has been of particular importance to me I often do a specific "thank you" ritual for them and leave them something special. A red meal is also done regularly (a shared meal) as it cements the bond just as family dinners together strengthen family bonds. How do I know they actually hear and work with me? Becuase I believe they do. I mean, when I get impulses or they help me with something, anyone non-witch could easily write it off as coincidence. When I ask my Old Lady to do something and I get home from work and it's done, I could say "oh, what a coincidence that "x" happened". But it's just not how I think becuase I don't see things in that way. A witch sees things differently. But can I prove it scientifically? No, lol. And that's one reason why I don't discuss it in too much detail with lay-people becuase they just pour their doubts and their "yeah, right"s onto it...

But just start. Just starting anything in any way to initiate contact will usually get a response as long as you are consistant and respectful. (And consistancy is a key, just like you wouldn't call up your grandma or friends to borrow money then never call them again for 7 months until the next time you needed money.) And it is a reciprical relationship. They get something out of it, too. And the more you do it the stronger the bond will become and you will feel them, and sometimes see their flitting shadows around the house and find and feel their presence in your workings and your questions.

M

I am so glad you bumped this thread ! Thank you Darlin' . I consider myself a new one in this turn of my path.

Regards,

Gypsy

I find that for me the communication is extremely subtle, to the point that if I explain it to non-witch people they just get this knowing look and smile and say "oh - so it's all in your head" which annoys the shit out of me, lol. I started out by just doing something, anything. Yes I resonate with this, although I can't quite understand the " extremely subtle " when one would have a "heart to heart" conversation with a deceased member of one's blood family or extended family. But I agree that starting out " just doing something " is worth pursuing. It's an active participation, even if at the time it feels a bit "onesided".

So I would light a black candle for them on a nightly basis (when I was home) and just say "for the ancestors" when I did it. I actually have 3 candles that get lit on my North Road table nightly - one for the ancestors, one for the spirits of hearth and home, and one between the horns for the gods, wisdom, and illumination. I also leave out things for them: wine, honey, food, coffee, cigar (depending on who's wanting what, lol).I say "good morning" to them and "good night" to them, and if I have any news I sit and say it out loud to them and discuss it with them just as if they were physically sitting there.

Contact for me usually comes in the form of dreams or impulses, often when I am between wake and sleep, or in a very dropped-down state. A good example is with my house Old Lady - I was just falling asleep and got an intense craving for a cuppa tea, then a strong visual of a child's china doll tea-set I had in my shed. So I knew she was wanting a cuppa rather than the usual wine I had been leaving her.

When I have been doing a working with any of them (house/hearth spirits, ancestors, or gods) that has been of particular importance to me I often do a specific "thank you" ritual for them and leave them something special. A red meal is also done regularly (a shared meal) as it cements the bond just as family dinners together strengthen family bonds. How do I know they actually hear and work with me? Becuase I believe they do. I mean, when I get impulses or they help me with something, anyone non-witch could easily write it off as coincidence. When I ask my Old Lady to do something and I get home from work and it's done, I could say "oh, what a coincidence that "x" happened". But it's just not how I think becuase I don't see things in that way. A witch sees things differently. But can I prove it scientifically? No, lol. And that's one reason why I don't discuss it in too much detail with lay-people becuase they just pour their doubts and their "yeah, right"s onto it...

But just start. Just starting anything in any way to initiate contact will usually get a response as long as you are consistant and respectful. (And consistancy is a key, just like you wouldn't call up your grandma or friends to borrow money then never call them again for 7 months until the next time you needed money.) And it is a reciprical relationship. They get something out of it, too. And the more you do it the stronger the bond will become and you will feel them, and sometimes see their flitting shadows around the house and find and feel their presence in your workings and your questions. This really hits home with my thought process, a Witch initiates, I don't care if it's a "cuppa tea " .. you took from the impulse, that, THAT is what she wanted, and followed through,( Initiated ), now.... I pose this : A Witch initiates, his/her path, his/her intent, his/her healing, his/her beckoning to the other world, his/her current, his/her compass, his/her circle of protection..... ETAL, he/she is the Initiator the Power Source. Everything a Witch does and has at his/her disposal should be initiated. I am inclined to believe that it is the Spoken Word or my current search of the Soul Song. It's not a ceremony of whooly bhooly of gestures or robes, or wickety whacks of backwards words, only if he/she chooses so, what's comfortable for them or speaks to them. Hell... M... you initiate by just saying,................................................ " good Morning ". lol ! That shows acknowledgement of what is in your domicile that you deem important enough to have those " presences " there, and gladly work with them and they, you.

Regards,

Gypsy

I suppose I mean "extremely subtle" in the lay-person perspective. I have had people who have asked me about this feel that if there isn't an obvious "this world" contact - like the spirits to show up and sit at the table, or to have audio contact in actual conversations, or feel physical contact or sudden temperature changes - then they're not getting contact, and for me it doesn't happen like that. Some people do get audio and/or visual response, but my interactions are "more subtle" and I think sometimes for new people on the path it can be important that they realize that just becuase the spirits didn't all respond in an obvious-this world way of the five senses doesn't mean they are failing at contact. I have had people tell me they gave up becuase nothing happened which is a shame bcuase I felt they had made contact, but were just looking for too big and too "obvious" of a reaction. So i like to point out that sometimes daily contact can be a subtle affair. And as witches it is important to see the subtle answers as well as the screaming ones, lol. I suppose it's seeing things as a witch, and not from a purely physical perspective...

M

I suppose I mean "extremely subtle" in the lay-person perspective. I have had people who have asked me about this feel that if there isn't an obvious "this world" contact - like the spirits to show up and sit at the table, or to have audio contact in actual conversations, or feel physical contact or sudden temperature changes - then they're not getting contact, and for me it doesn't happen like that. Some people do get audio and/or visual response, but my interactions are "more subtle" and I think sometimes for new people on the path it can be important that they realize that just becuase the spirits didn't all respond in an obvious-this world way of the five senses doesn't mean they are failing at contact. I have had people tell me they gave up becuase nothing happened which is a shame bcuase I felt they had made contact, but were just looking for too big and too "obvious" of a reaction. So i like to point out that sometimes daily contact can be a subtle affair. And as witches it is important to see the subtle answers as well as the screaming ones, lol. I suppose it's seeing things as a witch, and not from a purely physical perspective...

M

I love the " I suppose I mean "......... that's because you are interacting with " Ordinary People ", who would ask such a question, that you already in your Witches Eye have already been made comfortable. Irregardless, you are comfortable and get results in the way you contact your " People ". It could very well be a blood thing, I don't dismiss that at all. Also ! If you don't get an audible response from them, it doesn't matter, as you were the " Initiator" of the conversation, or cuppa tea, or bisquit, whatever you honored them with. Those subtle whispers.... are loud.. in my experiances with my " People ". There is no " suppose ".. when one see's with the Witches Eye, what could be more.................... true and revealed , and easilly accepted by the Witch ???? I go round and round with myself, and say to myself... " Wow, that was surprising. " When really ... WHY am I surprised, I/"it" shouldn't be surprising, it should be the truth given to me, and my easy acceptance of that truth.

Regards,

Gypsy

Regards,

Gypsy

Thank you for posting about your practices Michele, like ElizabethNickerson I too would like to develop a connection with ancestors and spirits and by reading your posts I've gained a few ideas about how to start.

Very very helpful information. Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply, Michele. Over the last month, or so, I've started greeting my ancestors etc in the morning, lighting a candle, putting out some offerings ... simple stuff. Good to know I'm on the right track.

I have a silly question that I've yet to see mentioned in any thread ... what do people do with their offerings of food after they've been put out? If you put out some fruit or candy or anything at all for your ancestors/spirits - how do you dispose of it?

I put out some chocolate one day along with my candles and my conversation ... and then I thought - what do I do with this stuff? Throw it out? Bury it?

I am Curious about this little detail!

Very very helpful information. Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply, Michele. Over the last month, or so, I've started greeting my ancestors etc in the morning, lighting a candle, putting out some offerings ... simple stuff. Good to know I'm on the right track.

I have a silly question that I've yet to see mentioned in any thread ... what do people do with their offerings of food after they've been put out? If you put out some fruit or candy or anything at all for your ancestors/spirits - how do you dispose of it?

I put out some chocolate one day along with my candles and my conversation ... and then I thought - what do I do with this stuff? Throw it out? Bury it?

I am Curious about this little detail!

I've seen differing views on that - some say you should put it out in the garden or bury it, but I find that once it has been left over night all the energy and essence of the food/drink has been taken and if an animal then eats the food (as may well happen if left in a garden) the food gets thrown up again. As such Ijust throw mine away. Also, there is pollution - and yes, food is biodegradable, but candle nubs are not. Therefore I don't bury my candle nubs but I throw them out. The craft has to evelve with the times, and I think polution has evolved enough that the spirits and the land would prefer one not littering.

Another thing one can do which is nice for a very "special" time is to leave out two bowls of food - leave one out overnight for the spirits, but leave the other one for just an hour or so and ask that they "bless" it or "imbue" it with their energy and then you eat it. It is a way of taking in some of the ancestors and spirits and I always like it as a special ritual. It is kind of like a red meal or housel (sp?) but different. In the housel you would take a bite and a sip first, then give them some of the food and drink, then you eat the rest.

M

Oh - and there's also something called 'ghost corn" (no clue how it got that name, lol) and it is something that is burned as an offering to spirit and that is particularly pleasing to them. I use this in my Divining the Crow ritual (divining as in knowing, not as in foretelling the future)and due to a dream where the whole ritual originally came from, I use sugar or honey burned on the coals. I also use an incense of herbs that are known for calling spirits and the dead. Yew is something I have a hard time getting, so I had a yew wand I use to "stir" the incense. Yew is very good for working with with the dead. I also use black crow feathers, and if I am doing an iinvocation to my homeland (the gods and spirits of England) then I use somethings that are specifically from the forest floor of England, along with a bowl-pitcher that was made in England. I don't kow the land of your connection or of your ancestors and/or gods, and although I do invoke the homeland one should always also honour the local land spirits and divinities (if you work with divinities) as you ARE on their turf, lol. And the land is someone's ancestor. There is the serpent energy that runs throught all things, and as such is part of ANY land, but there are also the particular local spirits of plants, animals, and even people, who have died on the local land and become a part of the land and it is only repsectful to acknowledge that. What dies decomposes and feeds what grows, so all living things have fed off the dead.

M

Giving this a bump for the newer members to add thoughts and because I am finding so much good information in this thread for myself to get inspired, while creating a 2nd ancestor/spirit altar in my home over the past few days.

One curious point is that most witches here mention using a purple candle for ancestor contact. Instinctively, I am using a large white candle as I set this up (now that I'm thinking about it, the 1st altar has a large black candle centered on it, again, not purple).

Anyone else here use white instead of purple? Maybe I should try a purple one.

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone,

I was looking for threads that had to do with the ancestors and i found this one!

Its funny how so many of you use a purple candle for your ancestors, in Haitian Vodoun we also use purple when serving the dead/ancestors.

I have a table set up just for the dead, my ancestors, spirits from past lives, collective ancestors ect. This table is draped in all white and has 9 glasses of water on it. One is bigger than the others and that represents "El Gran Poder" which means the great power, which i guess you can call "God." Then there are 8 smaller glasses on the table which i dedicate to "Las Comisiones" which is like the different groups of spirits that i work with. I have one for the Gipsies, Indians, Witches, Madamas, Kongo, Spirits from past lives, blood relatives, Spirits who need light, all unknown guides. In the front i have a cross which represents the spirits of the cemetery, and on the table i also have books with different prayers and spells. Around that table i have different dolls and images that represent the different guides that i have, these dolls are charged and dedicated to a specific spirit, sometimes to materialize the spirit even more an animal will be offered to the spirit.

I communicate with them using what we call in the Caribbean (Im Puerto Rican btw) "Media Union" which is basically when you are psychicly linked to the spirits and you can hear them talking to you either with words or telepathically. A ceremony we do to develop this further is called "La Misa" which is when we gather around the altar and pray and sing to the dead so they can come and give us messages, sometimes a spirit will mount someone and the spirit will speak through the possessed person and consult the living about different issues: love, money, spiritual illness, magic, ect.

I could go on and on and on, but this is basically some of what i do with the ancestors!

Houngan Bryan

This post is really speaking to me right now. The altar I am currently setting up is not for blood ancestors, but for other specific spirits that live in my home. One particular spirit is not from this part of the world, but he loves to hear music all the time and once taught me a song from his homeland (which I should have recorded myself singing, because now I forget it....grrrrr).

I really love the idea here that includes books/spells/prayers in the space. I have a dedicated journal that I made, just for spirit work & I think it sounds fitting to keep it near the dedicated space.

I find that for me the communication is extremely subtle, to the point that if I explain it to non-witch people they just get this knowing look and smile and say "oh - so it's all in your head" which annoys the shit out of me, lol. I started out by just doing something, anything. So I would light a black candle for them on a nightly basis (when I was home) and just say "for the ancestors" when I did it. I actually have 3 candles that get lit on my North Road table nightly - one for the ancestors, one for the spirits of hearth and home, and one between the horns for the gods, wisdom, and illumination. I also leave out things for them: wine, honey, food, coffee, cigar (depending on who's wanting what, lol).I say "good morning" to them and "good night" to them, and if I have any news I sit and say it out loud to them and discuss it with them just as if they were physically sitting there.

But just start. Just starting anything in any way to initiate contact will usually get a response as long as you are consistant and respectful. (And consistancy is a key, just like you wouldn't call up your grandma or friends to borrow money then never call them again for 7 months until the next time you needed money.) And it is a reciprical relationship. They get something out of it, too. And the more you do it the stronger the bond will become and you will feel them, and sometimes see their flitting shadows around the house and find and feel their presence in your workings and your questions.

M

Michele, I see here you mention using a black candle instead of purple. When I set up my 1st altar (to my familial spirits), I decided on a black central candle because it felt like a gate to the shadows and the dead, and I was also probably thinking of the North direction as well.

Also, I want to make note of your (and others) use of daily offerings. It's such a simple and logical thought, but one that is easy to miss while going about my busy mundane life. I'm struggling with contact with certain spirits here, not because I can't connect with them-but because I am simply not making them a part of my daily normal routine! To sit and talk with them throughout the week (not just when I need to know something or when I feel like connecting), and to leave offerings is something that needs more attention from me.

It was interesting to me to read through this thread as much of what I do has evolved over the last several years, and specifically with my two-year journey into becoming an American citizen. I originally used black candles for the dead, I am currently using white 7-day candles on both my ancestor shrine and my divinity alter. I changed to white because it is a "purer" color symbolically to me and the color of life, and I am not looking to go to their world but looking for them to come and talk to me in mine.

I also found that trying to work with things from England was self-defeating as I live in a Caribbean climate and much of the specific English elements do not grow or exist here. Even the feel is different - we don't celebrate living through the cold, dangerous winter here - we celebrate more having made it through the long humid summer into the breezy 70 degree winters, lol. So I am finding out that there is the symbolic winter and association of the "dark half" which came from a northern culture, and then the daily living reality of the land I live on - for I am not northern although my ancestors may have been. Finding a balance between the two has been (and still is) an interesting journey.

I love ritual with a passion. I find it helps me to stay connected to do something daily and constantly be in touch with that feeling of connectedness. But I also work 9 to 5 and have a home-run business to boot. So when I made my ancestor shrine I said to them I will come and speak with you a minimum of once a week, and explained why. My ancestors want their line to be successful and flourishing. So they understand dedication and hard work to earn money and make the family safe. But I also believe one's word is extremely important, so I personally believe it is very important to speak with them at least once per week (and if I am going on vay-cay and will be away and miss the weekly ritual, I let them know at the ritual before).

As it is I speak to them almost daily. My shrine is set up much like a Mesa Blanca (a very Caribbean way) rather than anything more northern and I find they have been very responsive to that. I light the candles whenever I am home and put them out when I leave. The ancestors I find are cool with that - they know I have cats and have no desire for me to burn down the house on their behalf, lol. They have my and my family's (THEIR family's) best interests at heart. I have a bowl of water with a bone-and-howlite "mala" around the neck of the bowl with a tree of life. I have used this often enough when talking to them and asked them to bless it, so I can take it with me if I feel a desire or a need to have them close, though in reality they are always close. But I find props help me, lol, and that's one reason why props exist - if you associate something with a thing, it will bring you quickly into that mind-set every time you use it.

I watch the water daily - any cloudiness is a sign of disruption or possible problem and is changed immediately and a ritual of connection done to let them know I saw it and do they have anything they need to say or "what's going on?" etc. The water is changed out weekly with a longer ritual, but daily I do greet them. Since spirits use water and it's fluidity as a means of connection, daily I dip my fingers in the water and lightly wash with it (just sprinkle it on my forehead and over my head and neck) and ask for their guidance and blessing for me and the family.

Weekly I dismantle the shrine and clean it and put in fresh water and sit before it and blow cigar smoke on it to call them , give rum to thank them for coming, state my lineage to them (yes they know my lineage, but stating it keeps it always in my mind and also honors them), and I also state the unknown ancestors and my honor to them as well, for without them I would not be here. I usually knock on the table 3 times when I start and 3 times when I end (sometimes I use a bell) so there is a clear-cut ending and beginning. I tell them family news, I ask if anyone has something they want to say, or something they want on the shrine, I thank them for their blessings and guidance, I pray for their own safety and "movement" for any of them who may not be where they need to be inn their realm. I also only invite in those who are of an appropriate nature, and I say a prayer for the movement for those who are not, because they are still family and I honor that and respect their journey. God knows how appropriate I may or may not have been over my multitude of lifetimes, lol, so I do not judge them, only offer my rememberance of their existence and that they are part of the family even if they lived 3000 years ago and no one knows their name or what they looked like - they are still family.

But the whole thing can be done in 15 minutes, or much longer if one wants. Bottom line is it is not time-consuming, but the benefits to me and to them are priceless to the evolution of the family and to any who are re-born into it if one happens to believe that reincarnations are often repeated into family lines.

M

Edited by Michele
  • Upvote 2

Of possible interest - I had a 3rd shrine I use as a working shrine, but tending all 3 was getting crazy. A friend happened to be in the 'hood yesterday and dropped by and he suggested combining my working shrine with the ancestor shrine, since they will have interest in my works anyway. So we added the 6 (three on each side of the main water container) little water glasses to the ancestor shrine and took down the working shrine. The 6 glasses are now for other spirits - guides, etc., who have a positive interest in me although the main one if for the ancestors. And aligning the 6 in different ways around the main glass also lets everyone know if the house is in normal mode, protective mode, or attack mode. I haven't done any magic with it this way yet, or had specific input from my ancestors on it yet, but I will let everyone know if they have any problem with it, lol. But always, my ancestors are greeted first. They are my connection, I live because of them, and I know the gods because of them, so I greet them first after stating my lineage.

M

Anara: Yes, I burn white candles, too.

Always have. White just make sense to me.

Could be my imagination - but, I've noticed there's a 'different' glow to the candles burned for my ancestors. Ever notice that?

okay maybe this has already been talked about but just looking for some insight from ya'll on this.

so I guess straight to the point would be how am I supposed to communicate with my ancestors if all the ones I know of were super evangelical Christians? 

I don't think there is a heaven or hell so I don't think they are in it but not sure they would know that....sorry this is a total ignorant question...

Actually that is a really good question. I have no idea what the process of death and enlightenment to those crossing the hedge would be like for Happy Clappy Christians. I would like to think they realise how wrong they were and then spend their time making it up to the universe! Who knows... I would say if you are disappointed in your heritage of recent years, then go back further to older ancestors. Ask for their help, not least in identifying themselves and coming forward. Thats just a quick, shallow little thought... will ponder further and also be really interested in others opinions on this.

Actually that is a really good question. I have no idea what the process of death and enlightenment to those crossing the hedge would be like for Happy Clappy Christians. I would like to think they realise how wrong they were and then spend their time making it up to the universe! Who knows... I would say if you are disappointed in your heritage of recent years, then go back further to older ancestors. Ask for their help, not least in identifying themselves and coming forward. Thats just a quick, shallow little thought... will ponder further and also be really interested in others opinions on this.

yeah see and that's exactly were I am at on it, I know that my fathers side is german/Mohican/irish and my mom's side is Irish, have cousins from Belfast/Dublin and Galway.

I know that when they came here they were all Catholic obviously and once they got here they changed it all up.

anyways I will look into this more and see about the older ones from before that. I am very VERY interested in this topic!!!!!

Sign in to follow this