53 replies to this topic

#21 soap fairy

soap fairy

fluffy chaos instigator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

kiara, you can always start one to be passed down. We have a memory box {cedar chest with things like my son's tags from hospital}
My grandmother was a very practical person and if I ever want her help, I go and polish and sharpen her axe which I have!
Everything I've ever read etc about summoning ancestors has always talked about it in terms of gestures of respect and when ever I clean/polish grannies axe I get the overwhealming feeling that thats something she approves of.
Hope that helps.

:cloud9: floating through life on a cloud of bubbles

#22 scorpiowitch

scorpiowitch

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

I only call on my ancestors and I always use a white candle. Usually, I will set their pictures out, light the candle in front of them and just talk to them. Its one of my favorite things to do..... especially if I'm having something major going on and need direction.

This is very similar to what I do, very effective indeed

#23 rosielj

rosielj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

This might seem a bit odd, but I always connect with my ancestors while I am in the bath!

I find I can relax totally while lying in the water, and can meditate and go to places that I sometimes cannot in other areas of the house.(probably due to too many distractions!)

I have always been obsessed by my Great Grandfather. My Grandmother talked a lot about her Father to me before she died, and since I was a little girl, out of all the past ancestors I have heard the older members of my family talk about he, and his line have always stood out for me, to the point that I even moved house to be nearer the area they lived in.

Just before Xmas a distant relative found a photograph of my G.Grandfather and Grandmother and it was the best thing that has happened to me in ages! Better than any gift I could ever receive, and yes, he looked just as I imagined he would!

He was from generations of Blacksmiths, and I have researched a lot about country Blacksmiths and found it fascinating.

#24 Maypole

Maypole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

Thats a great site Rune writer :hearts2:

xx

#25 Runewriter

Runewriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

Thank you Fagin's Girl.

Today I stopped by the grave of a friend that was buried about two weeks ago. This was a first, never have I gone back to anyone's grave. I was more than a little bothered. Its like she worked,partied, raised her kids, was a very close friend..... And in the end what did she get, just a big shiny tombstone and a dirt plot. That really seemed fucked up!!

For some reason I reached down and picked up a handful of the grave dirt and brought it home. I just put it in a container to keep it sealed. I thought I might use the dirt in ancestor calling(kind of spread it on the mantle when I do the spell). She would have both gotten a kick out of it and said it was creepy. There is a meaning in that dirt even though I know she wasn't there. I just was wondering if anyone has ever tried that approach. I will be adding the candle, a glass of wine, a bone,and the meditation and maybe a pic(the last I have not decided on.)

#26 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

kiara, you can always start one to be passed down. We have a memory box {cedar chest with things like my son's tags from hospital}
My grandmother was a very practical person and if I ever want her help, I go and polish and sharpen her axe which I have!
Everything I've ever read etc about summoning ancestors has always talked about it in terms of gestures of respect and when ever I clean/polish grannies axe I get the overwhealming feeling that thats something she approves of.
Hope that helps.

That's very true and I probably will do that. (My kids are being raised in a pagan manner). Thanks.

But I somehow have the feeling that there is a big piece that's missing, anyway and that's what's stopping me.

Scientists say it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly - their wings are too small.
Who's going to explain that to the bumble bees?

Avatar from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

#27 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

This might seem a bit odd, but I always connect with my ancestors while I am in the bath!

I find I can relax totally while lying in the water, and can meditate and go to places that I sometimes cannot in other areas of the house.(probably due to too many distractions!)

I don't find it odd. Makes sense to me. I do the same thing.
Rebie

#28 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

Hello all,

when performing a ritual or a spell I like to call to the spirits of loved ones that have passed on to help me on my way.
I am interested to find out how others do it. Do you just simply ask? Do you have pieces of jewellery you use? photographs? Or do you not use them or use deities maybe?

I would be interested to hear what you do and how you do it :witchbroom:

I simply ask for the help. I have the mixed blessing of having family members and close friends who die come to 'let me know' shortly after the fact. I have only ever asked for their help- those who have come *to* me after they have died. I thought I might try asking for someone else, going to them as it were, but it feels strange to me. I prefer dealing with those who were comfortable coming to me. Maybe seeking out others is something I could work towards.

I do find that asking with the right feeling inside works just fine, but I do like some of the things to do that others have mentioned here. I think I'll try some of them too...:thinking:

#29 Desert Sage

Desert Sage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:19 AM

Twisted_Angel,

Do you think its possible the constant little accidents have something to do with energy/power you aren't using, like a build up and its finding other ways to leak out? Would regular grounding/discharging of energy help at all?

If you are not using your brain, do you mind if I feed it to the dragon?

#30 Desert Sage

Desert Sage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:28 AM

I've never done this and wouldn't know where to start. The only ancestor I know anything about from either side is my grandmother. She taught me a hell of a lot, but she didn't class herself as a witch and when she died, she went to visit my sister several times until my sister told her she got the message (that nan was OK now). I don't have a sense of my grandmother being around at all. Her mother was a very devout christian and a very hard woman. There was no magic or love loss in that family from what I've been told.

When I do decide to call on ancestors, it will have to be generic ancestors and not my own per se. I've had an old, very strong witch-woman in my life for years coming and going as she pleases, but its only now that I'm following the path consciously that I'm aware of who she is.

If you are not using your brain, do you mind if I feed it to the dragon?

#31 seekingknowledge

seekingknowledge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

Twisted_Angel,

Do you think its possible the constant little accidents have something to do with energy/power you aren't using, like a build up and its finding other ways to leak out? Would regular grounding/discharging of energy help at all?

My family will tell you that all my life I have been clumsy...I drop things, fall off flat heels, trip up adn even when driving had neat misses that could have turned nasty but for a convenient wake-up...

I always thought it was a kind of angel, someone pressing the brake before the inevitable happened. I think I may try calling him/her...

Fascinating, the different methods, I'm gonna try a combination of them.

#32 Ti_Metwes

Ti_Metwes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hello everyone,

I was looking for threads that had to do with the ancestors and i found this one!

Its funny how so many of you use a purple candle for your ancestors, in Haitian Vodoun we also use purple when serving the dead/ancestors.

I have a table set up just for the dead, my ancestors, spirits from past lives, collective ancestors ect. This table is draped in all white and has 9 glasses of water on it. One is bigger than the others and that represents "El Gran Poder" which means the great power, which i guess you can call "God." Then there are 8 smaller glasses on the table which i dedicate to "Las Comisiones" which is like the different groups of spirits that i work with. I have one for the Gipsies, Indians, Witches, Madamas, Kongo, Spirits from past lives, blood relatives, Spirits who need light, all unknown guides. In the front i have a cross which represents the spirits of the cemetery, and on the table i also have books with different prayers and spells. Around that table i have different dolls and images that represent the different guides that i have, these dolls are charged and dedicated to a specific spirit, sometimes to materialize the spirit even more an animal will be offered to the spirit.

I communicate with them using what we call in the Caribbean (Im Puerto Rican btw) "Media Union" which is basically when you are psychicly linked to the spirits and you can hear them talking to you either with words or telepathically. A ceremony we do to develop this further is called "La Misa" which is when we gather around the altar and pray and sing to the dead so they can come and give us messages, sometimes a spirit will mount someone and the spirit will speak through the possessed person and consult the living about different issues: love, money, spiritual illness, magic, ect.

I could go on and on and on, but this is basically some of what i do with the ancestors!

Houngan Bryan

#33 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Just bumping up this old thread ... thought some of the newer members would find it helpful.

I'm also just beginning to embark on this sort of work and feel a bit lost. I occasionally hear voices or have visitations (during my dreams, however) but really NOTHING that qualifies as "working" with ancestors and spirits.

And, as for my ancesters - I actually haven't met any of them but a grandfather and didn't know him well at all. I have my suspicions about who is around me regularly, however.

I'm hoping someone could tell me or direct me - how do you actually get to the point where you are communicating with ancestors and spirits on a regular basis? I need a concrete guide, I think.

#34 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Just bumping up this old thread ... thought some of the newer members would find it helpful.

I'm also just beginning to embark on this sort of work and feel a bit lost. I occasionally hear voices or have visitations (during my dreams, however) but really NOTHING that qualifies as "working" with ancestors and spirits.

And, as for my ancesters - I actually haven't met any of them but a grandfather and didn't know him well at all. I have my suspicions about who is around me regularly, however.

I'm hoping someone could tell me or direct me - how do you actually get to the point where you are communicating with ancestors and spirits on a regular basis? I need a concrete guide, I think.

I find that for me the communication is extremely subtle, to the point that if I explain it to non-witch people they just get this knowing look and smile and say "oh - so it's all in your head" which annoys the shit out of me, lol. I started out by just doing something, anything. So I would light a black candle for them on a nightly basis (when I was home) and just say "for the ancestors" when I did it. I actually have 3 candles that get lit on my North Road table nightly - one for the ancestors, one for the spirits of hearth and home, and one between the horns for the gods, wisdom, and illumination. I also leave out things for them: wine, honey, food, coffee, cigar (depending on who's wanting what, lol).I say "good morning" to them and "good night" to them, and if I have any news I sit and say it out loud to them and discuss it with them just as if they were physically sitting there.

Contact for me usually comes in the form of dreams or impulses, often when I am between wake and sleep, or in a very dropped-down state. A good example is with my house Old Lady - I was just falling asleep and got an intense craving for a cuppa tea, then a strong visual of a child's china doll tea-set I had in my shed. So I knew she was wanting a cuppa rather than the usual wine I had been leaving her.

When I have been doing a working with any of them (house/hearth spirits, ancestors, or gods) that has been of particular importance to me I often do a specific "thank you" ritual for them and leave them something special. A red meal is also done regularly (a shared meal) as it cements the bond just as family dinners together strengthen family bonds. How do I know they actually hear and work with me? Becuase I believe they do. I mean, when I get impulses or they help me with something, anyone non-witch could easily write it off as coincidence. When I ask my Old Lady to do something and I get home from work and it's done, I could say "oh, what a coincidence that "x" happened". But it's just not how I think becuase I don't see things in that way. A witch sees things differently. But can I prove it scientifically? No, lol. And that's one reason why I don't discuss it in too much detail with lay-people becuase they just pour their doubts and their "yeah, right"s onto it...

But just start. Just starting anything in any way to initiate contact will usually get a response as long as you are consistant and respectful. (And consistancy is a key, just like you wouldn't call up your grandma or friends to borrow money then never call them again for 7 months until the next time you needed money.) And it is a reciprical relationship. They get something out of it, too. And the more you do it the stronger the bond will become and you will feel them, and sometimes see their flitting shadows around the house and find and feel their presence in your workings and your questions.

M

#35 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

[quote name='ElizabethNickerson' timestamp='1313760069' post='108456']

[/quote]

I am so glad you bumped this thread ! Thank you Darlin' . I consider myself a new one in this turn of my path.

Regards,
Gypsy
[quote name='Michele' timestamp='1313794194' post='108526']
I find that for me the communication is extremely subtle, to the point that if I explain it to non-witch people they just get this knowing look and smile and say "oh - so it's all in your head" which annoys the shit out of me, lol. I started out by just doing something, anything. Yes I resonate with this, although I can't quite understand the " extremely subtle " when one would have a "heart to heart" conversation with a deceased member of one's blood family or extended family. But I agree that starting out " just doing something " is worth pursuing. It's an active participation, even if at the time it feels a bit "onesided".

So I would light a black candle for them on a nightly basis (when I was home) and just say "for the ancestors" when I did it. I actually have 3 candles that get lit on my North Road table nightly - one for the ancestors, one for the spirits of hearth and home, and one between the horns for the gods, wisdom, and illumination. I also leave out things for them: wine, honey, food, coffee, cigar (depending on who's wanting what, lol).I say "good morning" to them and "good night" to them, and if I have any news I sit and say it out loud to them and discuss it with them just as if they were physically sitting there.

Contact for me usually comes in the form of dreams or impulses, often when I am between wake and sleep, or in a very dropped-down state. A good example is with my house Old Lady - I was just falling asleep and got an intense craving for a cuppa tea, then a strong visual of a child's china doll tea-set I had in my shed. So I knew she was wanting a cuppa rather than the usual wine I had been leaving her.

When I have been doing a working with any of them (house/hearth spirits, ancestors, or gods) that has been of particular importance to me I often do a specific "thank you" ritual for them and leave them something special. A red meal is also done regularly (a shared meal) as it cements the bond just as family dinners together strengthen family bonds. How do I know they actually hear and work with me? Becuase I believe they do. I mean, when I get impulses or they help me with something, anyone non-witch could easily write it off as coincidence. When I ask my Old Lady to do something and I get home from work and it's done, I could say "oh, what a coincidence that "x" happened". But it's just not how I think becuase I don't see things in that way. A witch sees things differently. But can I prove it scientifically? No, lol. And that's one reason why I don't discuss it in too much detail with lay-people becuase they just pour their doubts and their "yeah, right"s onto it...

But just start. Just starting anything in any way to initiate contact will usually get a response as long as you are consistant and respectful. (And consistancy is a key, just like you wouldn't call up your grandma or friends to borrow money then never call them again for 7 months until the next time you needed money.) And it is a reciprical relationship. They get something out of it, too. And the more you do it the stronger the bond will become and you will feel them, and sometimes see their flitting shadows around the house and find and feel their presence in your workings and your questions. This really hits home with my thought process, a Witch initiates, I don't care if it's a "cuppa tea " .. you took from the impulse, that, THAT is what she wanted, and followed through,( Initiated ), now.... I pose this : A Witch initiates, his/her path, his/her intent, his/her healing, his/her beckoning to the other world, his/her current, his/her compass, his/her circle of protection..... ETAL, he/she is the Initiator the Power Source. Everything a Witch does and has at his/her disposal should be initiated. I am inclined to believe that it is the Spoken Word or my current search of the Soul Song. It's not a ceremony of whooly bhooly of gestures or robes, or wickety whacks of backwards words, only if he/she chooses so, what's comfortable for them or speaks to them. Hell... M... you initiate by just saying,................................................ " good Morning ". lol ! That shows acknowledgement of what is in your domicile that you deem important enough to have those " presences " there, and gladly work with them and they, you.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#36 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

I suppose I mean "extremely subtle" in the lay-person perspective. I have had people who have asked me about this feel that if there isn't an obvious "this world" contact - like the spirits to show up and sit at the table, or to have audio contact in actual conversations, or feel physical contact or sudden temperature changes - then they're not getting contact, and for me it doesn't happen like that. Some people do get audio and/or visual response, but my interactions are "more subtle" and I think sometimes for new people on the path it can be important that they realize that just becuase the spirits didn't all respond in an obvious-this world way of the five senses doesn't mean they are failing at contact. I have had people tell me they gave up becuase nothing happened which is a shame bcuase I felt they had made contact, but were just looking for too big and too "obvious" of a reaction. So i like to point out that sometimes daily contact can be a subtle affair. And as witches it is important to see the subtle answers as well as the screaming ones, lol. I suppose it's seeing things as a witch, and not from a purely physical perspective...

M

#37 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

I suppose I mean "extremely subtle" in the lay-person perspective. I have had people who have asked me about this feel that if there isn't an obvious "this world" contact - like the spirits to show up and sit at the table, or to have audio contact in actual conversations, or feel physical contact or sudden temperature changes - then they're not getting contact, and for me it doesn't happen like that. Some people do get audio and/or visual response, but my interactions are "more subtle" and I think sometimes for new people on the path it can be important that they realize that just becuase the spirits didn't all respond in an obvious-this world way of the five senses doesn't mean they are failing at contact. I have had people tell me they gave up becuase nothing happened which is a shame bcuase I felt they had made contact, but were just looking for too big and too "obvious" of a reaction. So i like to point out that sometimes daily contact can be a subtle affair. And as witches it is important to see the subtle answers as well as the screaming ones, lol. I suppose it's seeing things as a witch, and not from a purely physical perspective...

M

I love the " I suppose I mean "......... that's because you are interacting with " Ordinary People ", who would ask such a question, that you already in your Witches Eye have already been made comfortable. Irregardless, you are comfortable and get results in the way you contact your " People ". It could very well be a blood thing, I don't dismiss that at all. Also ! If you don't get an audible response from them, it doesn't matter, as you were the " Initiator" of the conversation, or cuppa tea, or bisquit, whatever you honored them with. Those subtle whispers.... are loud.. in my experiances with my " People ". There is no " suppose ".. when one see's with the Witches Eye, what could be more.................... true and revealed , and easilly accepted by the Witch ???? I go round and round with myself, and say to myself... " Wow, that was surprising. " When really ... WHY am I surprised, I/"it" shouldn't be surprising, it should be the truth given to me, and my easy acceptance of that truth.

Regards,
Gypsy

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#38 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

Thank you for posting about your practices Michele, like ElizabethNickerson I too would like to develop a connection with ancestors and spirits and by reading your posts I've gained a few ideas about how to start.

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#39 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Very very helpful information. Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply, Michele. Over the last month, or so, I've started greeting my ancestors etc in the morning, lighting a candle, putting out some offerings ... simple stuff. Good to know I'm on the right track.

I have a silly question that I've yet to see mentioned in any thread ... what do people do with their offerings of food after they've been put out? If you put out some fruit or candy or anything at all for your ancestors/spirits - how do you dispose of it?

I put out some chocolate one day along with my candles and my conversation ... and then I thought - what do I do with this stuff? Throw it out? Bury it?

I am Curious about this little detail!

#40 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Very very helpful information. Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply, Michele. Over the last month, or so, I've started greeting my ancestors etc in the morning, lighting a candle, putting out some offerings ... simple stuff. Good to know I'm on the right track.

I have a silly question that I've yet to see mentioned in any thread ... what do people do with their offerings of food after they've been put out? If you put out some fruit or candy or anything at all for your ancestors/spirits - how do you dispose of it?

I put out some chocolate one day along with my candles and my conversation ... and then I thought - what do I do with this stuff? Throw it out? Bury it?

I am Curious about this little detail!

I've seen differing views on that - some say you should put it out in the garden or bury it, but I find that once it has been left over night all the energy and essence of the food/drink has been taken and if an animal then eats the food (as may well happen if left in a garden) the food gets thrown up again. As such Ijust throw mine away. Also, there is pollution - and yes, food is biodegradable, but candle nubs are not. Therefore I don't bury my candle nubs but I throw them out. The craft has to evelve with the times, and I think polution has evolved enough that the spirits and the land would prefer one not littering.

Another thing one can do which is nice for a very "special" time is to leave out two bowls of food - leave one out overnight for the spirits, but leave the other one for just an hour or so and ask that they "bless" it or "imbue" it with their energy and then you eat it. It is a way of taking in some of the ancestors and spirits and I always like it as a special ritual. It is kind of like a red meal or housel (sp?) but different. In the housel you would take a bite and a sip first, then give them some of the food and drink, then you eat the rest.

M