53 replies to this topic

#1 scorpiowitch

scorpiowitch

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hello all,

when performing a ritual or a spell I like to call to the spirits of loved ones that have passed on to help me on my way.
I am interested to find out how others do it. Do you just simply ask? Do you have pieces of jewellery you use? photographs? Or do you not use them or use deities maybe?

I would be interested to hear what you do and how you do it :witchbroom:

#2 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

oooh, favourite topic for me. I love working with ancestors. I suppose the question also revolves around whether you work with blood ancestors (i.e. gran, great uncle etc who has passed to the otherside) or collective ancestors (those who followed the same path as us but who are not necessarily related to us).

Many years ago, I used to call my collective ancestors with a big purple candle I had. Im not one to use coloured candles in spells and such alike ... but there was something about this candle and its scent which really helped me connect with the ancestors in a big way.

Later, when I joined my first coven, we called the ancestors at a samhaine rite in the forest and I saw my grandad. Now that was interesting, because we didn't really get on, so out of everyone who could have appeared I was really suprised to see him. We dedicated a small rowan tree each to the ancestors who appeared, and mine was for him.

Lately, I've been practicing working with ancestral energies of the earth, and working with them with bones, chants and trance. I ask for the ancestors to attend most of the rituals and spells I do, and particularly at samhaine when I invite them in for the dumb supper. :atoast:

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#3 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Usually asking works for me - but I also use a purple candle! I'm not a huge color freak either, but there's something about that color that just resonates for me. For my grandmother, however, I put on some coffee and make her a cup.

I tear up every time - I miss her so much.

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#4 Runewriter

Runewriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

You might want to check out this link on just that subject. Interesting enought to keep your attention..... http://www.crookedpa...g/oldshows.html

Episode 19

#5 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

You might want to check out this link on just that subject. Interesting enought to keep your attention..... http://www.crookedpa...g/oldshows.html

Episode 19

Ohhhh fiddlestix... I can't open any of these podcasts for some reason.. it says my real player needs updates and then says there's no updates..:fasttalk:

Amber xxx

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

#6 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

I usually ask my dad for "help", ecspecially when I am doing something for my daughter. I have an old black and white pic of him thats on eye level-its on top of the fireplace-I will light him some incense, poor him a drink, and just lay my head against the stone, which is right under his "chin", and talk, cry, and ask for his help. I always have a candle burning here for him anyway-the seven day ones-or a kantili-oil, water and the floating wick. I miss him so much...

#7 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

I usually ask my dad for "help", ecspecially when I am doing something for my daughter. I have an old black and white pic of him thats on eye level-its on top of the fireplace-I will light him some incense, poor him a drink, and just lay my head against the stone, which is right under his "chin", and talk, cry, and ask for his help. I always have a candle burning here for him anyway-the seven day ones-or a kantili-oil, water and the floating wick. I miss him so much...

:hugs:I miss my Dad too.. but I know he's not far away. I understand exactly how you feel. :hugs:

Amber xxx

#8 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

I'm glad this thread has started. I've never actually called for ancestors as I was unsure exactly of who I should be calling...

In the old days, it was a different thing when I was wiccan (calling upon the Lord, Lady and the quarters).. which used to irritate me no end (demanding and summoning the quarters I mean)..

So these days, i usually just ask the power of earth and the universe to assist me... however, I would desperately love to know more about calling ancestors. I know nothing about my own ancestors though, apart from my great grandmother...

So annoying that I can't actually use the Peter Paddon podcasts for some reason :brickwall: ...

Edited by Amber, 03 February 2009 - 11:15 PM.
spelling corrections

Amber xxx

#9 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

I don't call "ancestors" per se ... I usually ask the spirits to watch over me whenever I'm doing something - along the lines of what Native Americans do. (I also live on what was once NA land so the spirits are strong here.)

The "real" ancestors who are my spirit guides don't have to be called - they're there most all the time: my grandmother who passed when I was 11 (and one cool lady, BTW) and my father-in-law who passed 3 years before I met my husband (neat man and very helpful), neither of whom was into witchcraft in this life but are very interested.

I, too, use purple candles on a regular basis!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#10 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

I think serving up a favorite meal is the best way to invite my ancestors over. I try to serve up my ancestors a big plate just for themselves, I compost it afterwards. Telling stories about my ancestors is also a pretty good way to call out to them.

I never knew my mother's parents, but when she describes them, they sound so much like my husband and me. I want to get to know them even more.

My mother tells me such wonderful stories about my past ancestors. Those are the ones I want to get to know. Unfortunately, my father's family isn't much fun and they don't like to tell stories.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#11 Twisted_Angel

Twisted_Angel

Guardian, Guide, Goofball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

I always felt that there was something looking out for me. I was (still am) very accident prone as a child and seem to attract trouble. Somehow though I'm able to escape just about everything with the bare minimum of damage. That's very personal though; some members here were very supportive and wickedly wonderful to me during a particularly troublesome time about this time last year! (I haven't forgotten, eternally grateful to all y'all)

My mother called it my guardian angel, and I accepted that for lack of anything more clarifying. As I got into the crooked path, and began discovering my own talents, I tried focusing on it to figure out what or who it was. While it has a decidedly feminine, mischievous vibe to her, I have nothing more to go for her than that. She's strong though and she knows it, and seems amused by the guardian angel analogy. She's still around, wherever I go on this earth. I do call on her during rituals, but she's got a mind of her own and is not at my beck and call. I wouldn't want her to be, and I have a healthy respect for her.

Three years ago this past December, my grandfather passed away after a nasty battle with diabetes and lymphoma cancer. He was the patriarch of my Irish Catholic family, and especially close to me. He taught me so much and it was clear to everyone I was his favorite, second only to his wife, who's still kicking! He's almost always with her, and I can feel him when I'm home and around her, but I know he leaves her to be with me when I need his protection, or he's worried....like when I'm deployed. I've seen/heard small evidences of his presence and I think she (the 'angel') steps aside (and probably grateful for the break!) when he's near. I don't call him, and purposefully ask him to leave my grandmother, I would never do that, but I leave a Rosary (he's devout Catholic) and a picture of my grandmother on her wedding day for him when he is with me. Now, how those two items haven't been lost or destroyed with me coming/being/going overseas, I have no idea!

I cherish it, because I have a feeling that once my grandmother passes on...he'll finally leave this plane for good with her.

Amber

~*~ Twisted Angel ~*~

:rolleyes:

#12 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:28 AM

I only call on my ancestors and I always use a white candle. Usually, I will set their pictures out, light the candle in front of them and just talk to them. Its one of my favorite things to do..... especially if I'm having something major going on and need direction.
Nature is open to the eyes that can see it.

#13 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:03 AM

I think serving up a favorite meal is the best way to invite my ancestors over. I try to serve up my ancestors a big plate just for themselves, I compost it afterwards. Telling stories about my ancestors is also a pretty good way to call out to them.

I never knew my mother's parents, but when she describes them, they sound so much like my husband and me. I want to get to know them even more.

My mother tells me such wonderful stories about my past ancestors. Those are the ones I want to get to know. Unfortunately, my father's family isn't much fun and they don't like to tell stories.

Isn't it so weird how some families don't want to tell their story? I never did understand that, and know little about my father's family because of that same reason. *shrug*

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#14 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

how weird so many of us use a purple candle! I dont know why you cant access the PodCast Amber, but I think with the PP podcasts they are very similar to the articles he has in the Crooked Path magazine - he has written one called Tapping The Bone, which must be similar to the PodCast - it is at http://www.crookedpa...e_read.asp?id=9
Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#15 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

how weird so many of us use a purple candle! I dont know why you cant access the PodCast Amber, but I think with the PP podcasts they are very similar to the articles he has in the Crooked Path magazine - he has written one called Tapping The Bone, which must be similar to the PodCast - it is at http://www.crookedpa...e_read.asp?id=9

Thanks Owl, I've had a look at the article... his stuff is quite interesting.

Amber xxx

#16 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

how weird so many of us use a purple candle!

I use a purple candle too! LOL I usually just ask for those of my ancestors to come and help, I have not just asked for some member of my family to come and help, yet. Now that I have new knowledge about my family I am going to be working on this to learn more about them and myself.

Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#17 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Ohhhh fiddlestix... I can't open any of these podcasts for some reason.. it says my real player needs updates and then says there's no updates..:fasttalk:

Amber try opening with a different player, Windows Media or Quick time etc...

When you click download depending on the browser your using, there are options to open with a player of your choice.

Firefox mp1: provides an open with option, with a drop down list.

Internet explorer mp2: You may have to download and then right click file, choose 'open with' then choose player.

The images are not too clear Im afraid, but hope it helps...:)

Attached Files

• Attached File  mp1.jpg   34.34KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  mp2.jpg   34.99KB   1 downloads

#18 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Amber try opening with a different player, Windows Media or Quick time etc...

When you click download depending on the browser your using, there are options to open with a player of your choice.

Firefox mp1: provides an open with option, with a drop down list.

Internet explorer mp2: You may have to download and then right click file, choose 'open with' then choose player.

The images are not too clear Im afraid, but hope it helps...:)

Thanks Drew.... I'll try that.. I quite like Peter Paddon the little I've seen of him...

Amber xxx

#19 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

I've heard a lot about a so-called "Ahnentopf" here in Germany. It's a crock or a pot in which things out of your past are put into. For instance, dirt from the place you grew up or meant something special to you, ancestral jewelry, pictures, etc. It's sort of like a shrine, but without any knick-knacks. The container might be ornamented as you like, though. Usually it's kept in a room that is in use, i.e. livingroom. It can also be used when you have a wish and want to ask your ancestors for help. Then you're supposed to put something symbolic in it. For instance, a coin, a heart, a picture with that item yearned for

I've always wanted to make something like that myself, but have a small problem I haven't the slightest idea who my ancestors are. Of course I could (and I do) ask those ancestors of the family who raised me, at least the ones that I got to know and to cherish. It doesn't feel right to make such a crock for them, as they aren't very witchy. I would really like to have contact with those of my birth family - maybe I inherited my talents and belief from them. Maybe one day, I'll find out. I just hope it's not too late.

Scientists say it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly - their wings are too small.
Who's going to explain that to the bumble bees?

Avatar from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

#20 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

Just want to add that I use a purple candle, too, when calling on my ancestors.

I like the idea of the 'Ahnentopf' which sound a little like what I do. I have some soil and sand from my birth place in England and also some old jewelry that I use.

I always get a feeling of being protected when working with ancestors and it intensifies the feeling of belonging and knowing who and what I am.

Raina