18 replies to this topic

#1 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:21 AM

Okay - I want a copy of this book. Andrew Chumbley wrote it. It's rare as hell, even more expensive... but I want it!

Any leads? Anyone?

I've been to several rare book sites and see where they HAD one... but alas, it's sold. Pthththt.

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#2 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:04 AM

Yeah, I've been following the thread and googled a bit, being curious. But it seems almost impossible to get my hands on.
Scientists say it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly - their wings are too small.
Who's going to explain that to the bumble bees?

Avatar from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

#3 Deb13b

Deb13b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:39 AM

I keep hoping that I will find one in my local used bookstore, for a ridiculously low price.....sigh..... I can dream !

#4 Nautonnier

Nautonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

yes it is very hard to get hold of!

If I find any source I will let you know,
good luck in your quest!

#5 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Not sure if you tried Caduceus Books, but they list one on their website here http://www.caduceusb...om/sh-witch.htm. Just scroll halfway down the page for it.

#6 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Not sure if you tried Caduceus Books, but they list one on their website here http://www.caduceusb...om/sh-witch.htm. Just scroll halfway down the page for it.

*DROOL*

Kirk would KILL me if I shelled out 4K for a book... but this one's got the goodies that came with it originally...

(scheming, scheming... )

Thanks Lela!!:grin_witch:

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#7 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

yes, and if you manage to get hold of it you will suddenly have lots of guests turning up on your doorstep wanting to stay for the weekend who all want to read it.....!!! (obviously i will be there, hehe)

*DROOL*

Kirk would KILL me if I shelled out 4K for a book... but this one's got the goodies that came with it originally...

(scheming, scheming... )

Thanks Lela!!:grin_witch:

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:27 AM

My understanding is the toad ritual is also in the "Pattern Under the Plough." Yet as the One is a CS book, there may be spirits bound to it that wouldn't be bound to the Pattern. Also, there is an article on the internet, legally, which was written by Chumbley about the ritual. In fact, I have a book I just picked up from Amazon for under 10 bucks that has several references to, and bits and bobs of, toad rituals called (long title) "Magic and Healing, The History and Folklore of Magical Healing Practices from Herb-Lore and Incantations to Rings and Precious Stones" by C J S Thompson.

#9 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Um, yes I have it! Its bloody expensive and emptied my second credit card - just as I was getting back to a full credit card on another one. I helped one of my contributors in writing an article on the Horse Whisperer's Society using information out of this book  in my own style of write - not copied. I also have a slim volume by Andrew Chumbley called "The Leaper Between" which also deals with the Natterjack Toad and its associations with a certain bone that floats in water and which is used as a charm to help you control your horse. Why no one has hit on the idea of using the reins of a horse, your spurs, and you riding crop, to control it, I'll never know. Don't people ride horses any more these days? :witch_bounce:

#10 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

Yup, I haven't been able to ride in a while though. Don't forget that you also use your legs and pressure (more than anything really). I used to get off and feel like my legs were spaghetti after lessons lol.

I thought the bone was supposed to allow the person to actually talk to the horse and be understood , rather than to just control it....

#11 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

I'm not that desperate to read the book but I'd dearly love an actual golden toad. Been thinking about getting a toad for a while as it happens.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#12 Roanna

Roanna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

A golden toad!

9534713.jpg

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#13 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B000GIV140

All yours for 70 bucks a page !!!

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#14 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Or you could download it for the price of for free. ;)

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#15 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

You most certainly could ... I am sure I have a copy somewheres ... though I am not sure if I have actually ever read it.

*Puts eyepatch on*

Ahaaar! Thar it be in me hard droive loiberry!

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#16 Roanna

Roanna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Link to reading it online http://www.oldways.o...golden_toad.pdf

#17 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

All I have to add to this discussion is that Chumbley's work on this was simply a twist on older and available documents, meaning I certainly would not pay a damn fortune for this book.  Heh.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#18 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

Bump
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#19 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:50 PM

All I have to add to this discussion is that Chumbley's work on this was simply a twist on older and available documents, meaning I certainly would not pay a damn fortune for this book. Heh.

I wouldn't pay a fortune for anything Chumbley wrote or Xoanan publishes. It's all just someone Personal Gnosis and has never been of any help to me.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery