Photo
- - - - -

Trial Member Profile Viewing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:08 AM

Hello,

I am cool with the trial membership period, I totally understand and support this idea. I know that my time will come eventually. However, I feel that my inability to view any profiles at all is a stumbling block to getting to know folks. I have been friended by three kind witches on this site, but I cannot view their profiles, nor can I even view my own. I think it would really help me start to belong here and work towards earning full membership, if I could at least get to know the witches that friend me and comment on their profiles and see what comments they give me on my profile. So I am suggesting that you allow friended witches on trial membership to view their own profile and to interact with (make comments on profiles and pictures) profiles of witches that add them to friends.

Thanks for a wonderful site!

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#2 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:48 AM

It used to be that Seekers could view profiles - but the problem comes in that not all "trial members" work out, and meanwhile, they've been privvy to our personal info, pics, etc. that are on our profiles. I'm not sure (Sandy or Brian will have to address this) if the board has the capability to allow only certain profiles to be viewed.

Unfortunately the good witches have to suffer for the not so good.

One great way to get to know folks is by coming to chat. If you're here, and have a few minutes and there are folks online, you can always post in the chatbox that you want to chat for a few. Also, we usually manage to swing a couple of chats a month - I'm trying to increase that to at least once a week - so be on the lookout for those too. I post about them in the Chat Forum.

Also, frequent posting works as well. I do see that your post count is getting up there, and that's something we look at when we review candidates for full membership. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad you like the site. The admins and mods work very hard on keeping things running smoothly and we appreciate our members. :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#3 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

As KW said the problem was with new people registering and having access to every member's profile information. Most full members did not like this so we had to limit this to Full Members.

The new version of the forum software which I have installed does allow members to set profile privacy options .. however, the options are not fine grained enough to fully meet our member's wished.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good suggestion and I am looking at it and keeping an eye out for modifications that will allow a finer grained control of profile information.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#4 Grimalkin

Grimalkin

The grumpy one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

I like the probationary periods. It requires patience, understanding, diligence and commitment. And being rewarded with full membership is a nice feeling as well...a sense of accomplishment as it were.

Posted Image
Life's only souvenir is the love we have for each other.

#5 Guest_nick_*

Guest_nick_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hello,

I am cool with the trial membership period, I totally understand and support this idea. I know that my time will come eventually. However, I feel that my inability to view any profiles at all is a stumbling block to getting to know folks. I have been friended by three kind witches on this site, but I cannot view their profiles, nor can I even view my own. I think it would really help me start to belong here and work towards earning full membership, if I could at least get to know the witches that friend me and comment on their profiles and see what comments they give me on my profile. So I am suggesting that you allow friended witches on trial membership to view their own profile and to interact with (make comments on profiles and pictures) profiles of witches that add them to friends.

I second the motion, and glad someone mentioned it. I only have one friend(mostly because I am kind of nervious/cautious about adding people I don't know), and I did not know where to go to get to know others. Thanks KW, I will definetly check out the Chat Forum before I log out.

#6 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:24 AM

^ just keep posting in the areas you can because that's the best way for people to get to know you :D
I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#7 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

I have to say, that I understand it completely. My feeling says, its a great place to be. But I don't know any of you and you can't know me. First I'd like to get accomodated and get to know the forum and some of its members. And give everyone an opportunity to get to know me a little, too. Only thing bothering me a wee bit is that others can view my profile and I can't see theirs. That seems a bit unfair. But no real problem.

#8 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

It's all part of the process and protection of members, Sandy and Brian have had a lot of problems with idiots and i think that everyone is entitled to privacy - surely it's worth earning?

and can i say that i got to know people better through posting and reading their posts, there isn't that much information you can get from people's profiles. People put more of themselves in their posts than their pages and you get a better understanding of who they are from them.

Also just on a bitchy note - if you can't be bothered being patient, posting and reading posts to get to know us then maybe this site isn't for you? Everyone has to go through the same processes so you aren't alone but complaining about it isn't going to make your membership happen any faster, it may actually put you back in your stead with the mods.

#9 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:26 AM

Please, I am certainly not complaining! I was making a suggestion for a feature I would appreciate.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#10 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:33 AM

^ i wasn't targeting anyone in specific, i was just making a generalisation. I just understand how shitty and frustrated Sandy and Brian get when people constantly barrage them with the same request, so i was just making it kinda clear what can happen

#11 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:23 AM

Please, I am certainly not complaining! I was making a suggestion for a feature I would appreciate.

We (admins and mods) realize you're not complaining, and your suggestion was a great one and makes sense, but unfortunately at this time it's not possible. Fortunately, however, Brian is always on the lookout for ways to update the forum to give members the maximum benefit, including those who are new.

Thanks again for speaking up with an idea. :)

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#12 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:03 AM

I realize that. I'm a webmaster myself and have these kind of idiots registering, too. They might just introduce themselves and that may even sound reasonable. But their first theme post consist only of one sentence and is even "stolen" from somewhere else. They get warned and if that happens again, kicked.

I'm not complaining, either. Like I tried to say: it's not easy being an admin, it's not easy being just to everyone. I understand the reasons. Believe me I do. And that's why I can live with it. If I didn't think I could, I wouldn't have registered. It was made pretty clear in the respective threads, that it runs this way. And I read them before registering.

So - off to get to know you better and maybe finding something to what I can contribute, so that you can get to know me better.

#13 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

I will be the first to admit that I like most things "yesterday"..lol. But, having been involved on several different kinds of forums in the past, I totally agree with the rules here..did I say "rules"????:laugh1:

Well, history has proven there has to be some limitations for organization and respect. I know I appreciate the respect of the privacy of postings once a full membership is granted. We have enough shit to put up with in public as it is. Nice to know there is a place we can just be ourselves and not think about backlashes!!

I was once involved in a business type forum where you discussed your clients. When I gave one of my client's my web site address, he Googled it and hit "I'm feeling lucky" and it took him straight into the business forum where we were discussing our clients (my web site was on my signature there). I said no more of this bull shit!

So, now I am very careful of these things. In other words, I don't say anything online that I know will be public that I would not say in person in public.

Kudos to TW!!!

Edited by Lea, 23 February 2009 - 08:21 PM.
addition; wording

#14 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:17 AM

^ see most of the members on here are just like you guys, wonderful, patient and willing to put in the effort but there is always one or two nutbags who spoil it for everyone, and it's usually those nutbag experiences that seem to have the most impact unfortunately

#15 Luna

Luna

LunaTechChick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Well, history has proven there has to be some limitations for organization and respect. I know I appreciate the respect of the privacy of postings once a full membership is granted. We have enough shit to put up with in public as it is. Nice to know there is a place we can just be ourselves and not think about backlashes!!

Very true!

So, now I am very careful of these things. In other words, I don't say anything online that I know will be public that I would not say in person in public.

Right, which is why I'm super careful in what I post about myself at this time, as well as the type of questions I might ask. ;)

"I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."

#16 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:40 AM

This issue was resolved late last year by new Profile Privacy options available to members. Seekers may be able to view some member's profile information if the member's allow this in Profile Privacy.
Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

I think Sara's idea of "friends" viewing is a good one, but completely understand limits of software. God knows I'm a "technological idiot" and Drog has done such a wonderful job with this site... I find little helpful things daily that I hadn't even realized were there.

Oh - and Drog - in the last 10 years I have had to keeping unpluging my cable and plugging in the DVD player everytime I want to watch a movie... seriousley, if you're ever in Florida PLEASE look me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol....

M

#18 Foxfur

Foxfur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Hello,

I second that, and I prefer knowing my information will be secure. After all, it isn't hard to become a seeker and then others could look at what they liked on the members profile. Still a seeker, and i wholly support this security method. I can wait until i'm a member, until then I shall enjoy just being a seeker.

Kind regards

G. Lyons { Whomever understands life, will understand me}
{ The person who rejects life as it is, cannot ever understand}

#19 Guest_loki1980_*

Guest_loki1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

I second that, and I prefer knowing my information will be secure. After all, it isn't hard to become a seeker and then others could look at what they liked on the members profile. Still a seeker, and i wholly support this security method. I can wait until i'm a member, until then I shall enjoy just being a seeker.

Kind regards

i was well made up when i became a full member, its like i got accepted, it also gave me a sence of honour, i think this site cant be improved anymore, its a top quality site and i love it here.

#20 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

Kind regards

sweetheart a true witch will always be a seeker, non of us know all the answers and any that say they do avoid them! You will do well here I think.

Hal wes u, folde, fira modor ! Marshy :flyaway: