Sign in to follow this  
Frankie

"Dark" music

Same here... Mom raised us on classic rock.  :)   Hence my love for Supernatural.  Hot guys, supernatural shit and classic rock.  Best show ever. 

I've not heard of half the names of groups on this thread. Surely I can't be the only witch in the forum who likes Abba?

heehee. DARK for me is listening to Chopin. Those Abba girls sure could sing! :-)

when I think dark music I don't really thing of the heavy metal hardcore as dark.

I think of the ethereal darkwave gothic music as dark

so some bands to consider:

Nox Arcana (which has already been named)

The Soil Bleeds Black

Lamia Vox ( i just added one of her songs to the what are you listening to thread)

There's Cultus Sabbati but I have to be in really strange place to listen to much of it.

If you like this look this particular one up at YouTube where the group is offering a free download of the album this selection is from.

I hope it's Okay to post this.

However, I can always listen to 'O Fortuna' from Carmina Burana - I by Carl Orff (1895 - 1982)

• Upvote 1

What about dark, witchy music?  I just recently found Wardruna, which is a pretty awesome band.  

What about dark, witchy music?  I just recently found Wardruna, which is a pretty awesome band.  

Yeah Wardruna is great. I don't know where you are from, so you might not understand their lyrics, but it gets pretty archaic sometimes. Way cool.

Faun works for me too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h42gjj23diY&list=RDpcEDw82vw1c

There are a couple of other bands that I really like, and being more down the line of folk metal, they aren't always all that dark or witchy. But the music puts me in a place where I feel like I can feed off of and amplify my own energies.  :mdance: So for me metal often works as witchy. 

Also Griegs the Hall of the Mountain King is always a winner, no matter how it's performed... One of my favorite renderings is the version done by Apocalyptica (I saw they were mentioned earlier in the thread). www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2aIVKp1OY

(Come to think of it for me a lot music that touchs on archaic speaks to me personally as witchy.)

Edited by odahviing

yay!!! METAL!!! :D :D 

i've grown up on metal my whole life lol ozzy osbourne and metallica songs were my childhood lullaby's!

Also Griegs the Hall of the Mountain King is always a winner, no matter how it's performed... One of my favorite renderings is the version done by Apocalyptica (I saw they were mentioned earlier in the thread).

That was friggin amazing!

Did anyone mention Fever Ray?  I feel like I should mention them (her?).  One of those artists where you wonder where they got their inspiration from, if not from "under the hollow hills."

Edit:  I listen to Faun a lot as well, though it often doesn't fall under "dark."  There are much darker world music groups like Zero Kama.  I guess you could call them world music.  What would you call music made entirely from human bones?

Edited by Wren

There's Cultus Sabbati but I have to be in really strange place to listen to much of it.

If you like this look this particular one up at YouTube where the group is offering a free download of the album this selection is from.

I hope it's Okay to post this.

This... was a crazy as hell trip... AND I LOVED IT! :twisted_witch:

Thanks Edonia for sharing this, I might have never heard it otherwise. Its gonna be my favourite for awhile.

I also like Cradle of filth, and really, I'll listen to anything (except country) if I am in the right mood.

Edited by Solanaceae

We kind of have a heavy metal household. To all this stuff, yes in triplicate. Did you know that "Run to the Hills" is an excellent lullaby? And, for witchy darkness, have you heard the rock opera of H. P. L.'s "Dreams in the Witch House?" Part of it is on YouTube.

Here's a funny anecdote: when my spouse & I met, I was using Black #1, and when he found out that I'm a universal donor he about fell over laughing. Still waiting for my wolfskin boots though.

I love Lovecraft, but I have never heard that rock opera, thanks for sharing. I am also Type O negative lol. I thought that was awesome when I was younger I was really into them.

I love Type O Negative !!!!!

"Hallow's Eve"

Fall fires burning neath black twisted boughs
Sacrifice to above
Smoke swirling quickly towards misting clouds
Offering of this blood
Into the flames and without shame
Consumed with howls and screams
Pumpkins grin in their despair on all

Hallows eve
Hallows eve

Cruel be the wind as it quells my words
I shout out to the rain
Incantations I've so hope you've heard
That you live again
From deep earth brings forth rebirth
Witness but I shant believe
From below a chilling glow on all

Hallows eve
Hallows eve

Be spiderwebbed and glazed in frost
She wears death beautifully
More stunning now than in her life
On a bed of autumn leaves
Into her eyes and quite surprised
I whispered don't you leave
Sing macabre songs and we'll dance til dawn on all

Hallows eve
Hallows eve

Saint lucifer hear me praying to thee
On this eve of all saints
High be the price but then nothing is free
My soul I'll gladly trade

Ahhh
Hallows eve
Ahhh
Hallows eve

Cold is the night in so many ways
Luna round full and bright
Deep be the mud on the fresh dug graves
On yours I recite
An ancient spell I know so well
Success is guaranteed
I'll bring you back from where you've gone on all

Hallows eve
Hallows eve

Saint lucifer hear me praying to thee
On this eve of all saints
High be the price but then nothing is free
My soul I'll gladly trade

Ahhh
Hallows eve
Ahhh
Hallows eve
Edited by Ravenmocker
  • Upvote 1

I like dark music, to an extent, but my tastes in it are pretty strange.  I like rapcore a bit, bands like Cypress Hill, Rage Against the Machine, etc.  I'm moreso a pick and mix kind of person, I like lots of stuff from many different genres, but mostly stick to Alternative rock.

I have been enjoying Nox Arcana lately, and Inkubus Sukkubus (there are few things more adorable than my toddler rockin out to "Io Pan" and "Church of Madness".)

I have extremely ecclectic music tastes, enjoying everything from bluegrass jam bands, classic 60's hippie-rock, British folk, freak folk, and world fusion, in addition to darker stuff.

Although in my dark, big-haired, eyeliner-smudged, fishnet-stockinged soul, there will always be a very special place for old-fashioned, 80's Darkwave.

(Humph!  These kids today with their Hot Topic and their Internet and their iPods...why when I was their age, we were REALLY goth! We'd have to walk 100 miles to see Morrissey!  Uphill, both ways!  In broad daylight!  Wearing really pointy boots!  Mumble mumble mutter...)

Edited by Broomflower

I grew up on Iron maiden, NIghtwish and Stratovarius, so metal has always been close to my heart. Lately I've also been listening to Fields of the Nephilim, Paradise lost and most of all Inkubus sukkubus. I must have listened to Beltaine 10 times today alone 

Wow there's some good music listed here. I like 5 Finger Death Punch, Cradle of Filth, Type O Negative, Nightwish, Atreyu.

I listen almost exclusively to helvete black metal, thrash, grindcore, and doom metal.

Edited by Capsicum

Sign in to follow this