"Dark" music

Frankie

Laugh if you will, I love my Queen of the Damned soundtrack. Movie sucked ass, but the music fucking rocked! Can't remember off-hand who's on it.

I would NEVER laugh! Its what I listen to when I loose myself...in the darker side of me:thatsit:

The Vampire Lestat - Queen Of The Damned Soundtrack.

"Slept So Long"

Chester Bennington - Queen Of The Damned Soundtrack

"System"

Marylin Manson (He is a Sexy BEAST!!! and DON"T mess with my Manson)

"Redeemer"

David Draiman - Queen Of The Damned Soundtrack

Forsaken

Sxatic-X - Queen Of the Damned Soundtrack

Cold

There are more but these are my favorites. I Luv them because they are a perfect escape into that which is me. Listen and open yourself up to them and you'll see what I mean.

Considering i am a goth myself :howl-moon: i tend to listen to the darker side of music mainly. Rammstein, cradle of filth, otep, arch enemy etc. Works well if your having a bad day you cant concentrate, you need to get your frustration out pop one of those songs on your good to go.

Better yet, when you need to rev yourself for something that requires enegry its best to listen to something of that flavor. But i listen to everything but country music, gospel or opera. So, im not limiting myself lol.

Considering i am a goth myself :howl-moon: i tend to listen to the darker side of music mainly. Rammstein, cradle of filth, otep, arch enemy etc. Works well if your having a bad day you cant concentrate, you need to get your frustration out pop one of those songs on your good to go.

Better yet, when you need to rev yourself for something that requires enegry its best to listen to something of that flavor.

These are great bands, LDG, and I totally agree with what you said. I especially love to listen to that music when I am driving to work. It prevents me from kicking some management ass!!!:mad:By the way, is that a weimaraner in your pic?

wow... i only know 2 people who like Type O lol! Now theres a 3rd lol!

Make that a fourth! Wow... you never hear of Type 0 Neg fans.

I'm a little odd though probably, in that I prefer the "Life is Killing Me" album over their others. Still, "Be My Druidess" cracks me up..

I'm also a big Lacuna Coil fan.

Lately, it's been Killswitch Engage I listen to (As Daylight Dies), but in a different vein, I recently tried Blackmores Night.

I say "tried", because it just isn't doing it for me. It's too "cookie cutter" and not very authentic, even when it tries to be. I admire Ritchie Blackmore and all, hell, Machine Head was my very first album I ever bought, but.. nahh. I dunno, the whole band sounds so contrived or something.

A few years back, Evanescence was my band, and Amy Lee was my girl. After the 2nd album came out though, I completely changed my mind. She never shut the hell up and allowed balance to the music, she stomped all over the other musicians constantly. So now it's all about her and her voice and her ego, so that killed them.

I listen to the newer generation's music because I got fookin' sick to death of mine. Growing up, I used to be big on Rush, Boston, Journey, Foreigner, Jethro Tull, Kansas, and Van Halen. And if I NEVER have to hear Led Zeppelin, The Who, or Pink Floyd again, I'll be just fine. The radio has played that stuff into the ground and I'm still sick to death of it.

I just came across a double CD called "Celtic Sounds of Middle Earth", obviously inspired by Lord of the Rings. It's pretty cool, very soothing. Here's what I don't get - what the hell is Celtic about Lord of the Rings or Middle Earth?!? Those were Anglo-Saxon/Norse constructs, lol. Tolkien studied Anglo-Saxon anthropology, not the Celtic culture. It's like reading books on "Celtic Runes".. :rolleyes:

Edited by Grymdycche

Killswitch Engage? Rammestein? Hmmmmm....gonna have to check them out!

Killswitch Engage is odd in that the verses are usually "growled", not "sung" -

I'm no fan of Pantera-esque growling - but when they get to the chorus, it breaks into more "traditional" rock singing, and they're always extremely melodic and catchy while still being ass-whompin'. I wish they'd drop the growly stuff altogether but that'll probably never happen. The band is excellent, I love the double/triple guitar work and the drummer on the last two CDs is a monster.

I have all Nightwish music (old), not so struck now original lead singer has gone, have some Leaves Eyes and Tristania and a couple of other Finnish groups which I like....I don't like Enya, although I do like Loreena McKennit a lot. I guess it depends on the mood at the time....I'll listen to nearly anything although not fond of country or jazz

• 3 weeks later...
I just finished reading an old thread about "witchy" music. I saw that most of you that posted are really into the celtic, Loreena, Enya type music...which incidently, I love. My question is....do any of you enjoy dark, gothic type music? My absolute favorite is...ahem....Cradle of filth!!! My husband thinks I'm nuts, but thats cool with me! I also enjoy Leaves eyes and Tristania, to name a couple. Anyone out there with the same musical tastes?

I don't listen to anything to heavy...I just don't like it. I do listen to a song or two from Tiamat, Darling Violetta (if you call that dark) and a little Rob Zombie...and I did love the soundtrack to Queen of the Damned too...

Edited by Jaime

I just finished reading an old thread about "witchy" music. I saw that most of you that posted are really into the celtic, Loreena, Enya type music...which incidently, I love. My question is....do any of you enjoy dark, gothic type music? My absolute favorite is...ahem....Cradle of filth!!! My husband thinks I'm nuts, but thats cool with me! I also enjoy Leaves eyes and Tristania, to name a couple. Anyone out there with the same musical tastes?

AHHHH YAY!!!!!!!! metal!!!!!!!!!!! wooohhooooo!

sorry huge metal fan here, have been in three metal bands and love it to death!

Danny filth is so gorgeous *loves* Im really into their thornography album!

Also a huge fan of rammstein, type o negative, the 69 eyes, HIM, Alestorm ( scottish pirate metal for the win!) Epica, Apocalyptica, omnium gatherum, Indochine, dethklok ( for shits and giggles :P) CKY, the smashing pumpkins ( although not metal i love their folk progressive rock!) KMFDM, Atari teenage riot, Mindless self indulgence, NIN, Tool, a perfect circle, the birthday massacre...lol the list goes on!

Leaves eyes is cool i has their full discography ^^ same with nin and smashing pumpkins and HIM. Been heavy into the metal scene for many many years now. Used to do vocals and rhythm guitar for an old band of mine, what fun it was back then ^^

I listen to the newer generation's music because I got fookin' sick to death of mine. Growing up, I used to be big on Rush, Boston, Journey, Foreigner, Jethro Tull, Kansas, and Van Halen. And if I NEVER have to hear Led Zeppelin, The Who, or Pink Floyd again, I'll be just fine. The radio has played that stuff into the ground and I'm still sick to death of it.. :rolleyes:

Lol! I fully understand the led zepplin thing ^^ There was a song the courtney love wrote which i love called the zepplin song...and it was her complaint about how everyone goes on and on and on and on about it!

Will you accept a collect call

From Robert Plant?

We picked him up on Vine

On a bus bench singing that song he can not stop

This is not the first time

He was so cute (yeah yeah)

Jonny Punk Rock, so cynical

You woulda jumped him too

But now the song remains

Why are the burners always toast?

Why are the stoners always stoned?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get away from the Zepplin song.

I got a job minimum wage & a tabledance

He drinks my beer and plays guitar

He's on my bed wasted every night when I come home

Play the same ol' lead again and again and again...

Sometimes I gotta say shutup

Sometimes I gotta say so what

I don't think that it's so punk

What's with the Zeppelin song

Sometimes I gotta unwind

Sometimes I gotta hide

Sometimes erase and rewind

I gotta throw the trash out

He's on the stairway to hell

Yeah that is him

Playin' the same old Zeppelin song again & again & again & again & again & again...

I'm a guitar

A Les Paul single cutaway

Please don't play that song on me again

I'll explode

I'll break all my strings and start playing shit

Like the Sex Pistols or anything

Sun House or the Blues

Why does he rain on my parade?

Why does the song remain the same?

I can't remember my own name

I work for minimum wage

Oh go tell it to Jimmy Page

At the crossroads with the deal he made

Cuz that song ain't goin' away

Oh God the Zeppelin song!

No no the Zeppelin song!

Here comes the Zeppelin song!

Oh God the Zeppelin song!

every time i hear this song I crack up. ^^

• 4 years later...

I'm too sensitive now as I get older to the energies in the "dark" music I listened to all the time back when I was younger, so I can only tolerate small doses anymore.  But one band I enjoy on a weekly basis is Puscifer.  It's a musical collective project created by the lead singer from Tool and A Perfect Circle.  He brought a lot of the heavy/dark themes from his earlier work into Puscifer's lyrics, but injects a few fun "WTF?" tracks here and there to break it up.  Oh, and an impressive number of their songs make it stupidly easy to get into a deep meditative trance.  Their earlier work is definitely darker than their latest stuff, though.

I'm too sensitive now as I get older to the energies in the "dark" music I listened to all the time back when I was younger, so I can only tolerate small doses anymore.  But one band I enjoy on a weekly basis is Puscifer.  It's a musical collective project created by the lead singer from Tool and A Perfect Circle.  He brought a lot of the heavy/dark themes from his earlier work into Puscifer's lyrics, but injects a few fun "WTF?" tracks here and there to break it up.  Oh, and an impressive number of their songs make it stupidly easy to get into a deep meditative trance.  Their earlier work is definitely darker than their latest stuff, though.

I adore Puscifer.

I also enjoy the glitch genre for 'dark' music, especially The Glitch Mob. The album I have by them I don't believe has any lyrics at all, and it's dark and mysterious and all good fun, and does sound a little bit like your computer is glitching at some parts.

You do realize, of course, that what you are calling "dark" now, your kids and grandkids will snicker and make fun of in the future.  The nature of "madness" changes . . . Elvis used to be "devil's music", after all.

Yup, and that's half the fun.  But I didn't think citing classical composers would connect with many folks.   :thumbsup:

ooooh i love my metal.Rammstein, Killswitch engage, Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, kittie, bring me the horizon are all awesome whether youre having a great or a bad day.

Dani Filth is a master when it comes to writing lyrics. My favourite is her ghost in the fog:

"The Moon, she hangs like a cruel portrait
Soft winds whisper the bidding of trees
As this tragedy starts with a shattered glass heart
And the Midnightmare trampling of dreams
But oh, no tears please
Fear and pain may accompany Death
But it is desire that shepherds it's certainty
As We shall see..."

She was divinity's creature
That kissed the cold mirrors
A Queen of Snows
Far beyond compare
Lips attuned to symmetry
Sought Her everywhere
Dark liqoured eyes
An Arabian nightmare...

She shone on watercolours
Of my pondlife as pearl
Until those who couldn't have Her
Cut Her free of this World

That fateful Eve when...
The trees stank of sunset and camphor
Their lanterns chased phantoms and threw
An inquisitive glance, like the shadows they cast
On my love picking rue by the light of the moon

Putting reason to flight
Or to death as their way
They crept through woods mesmerized
By the taffeta Ley
Of Her hips that held sway
Over all they surveyed
Save a mist on the rise
(A deadly blessing to hide)
Her ghost in the fog

They raped left...
(Five men of God)
...Her ghost in the fog

Dawn discovered Her there
Beneath the Cedar's stare
Silk dress torn, Her raven hair
Flown to gown Her beauty bared
Was starred with frost, I knew Her lost
I wept 'til tears crept back to prayer

She'd sworn Me vows in fragrant blood
"Never to part
Lest jealous Heaven stole our hearts"

Then this I screamed:
"Come back to Me for
I was born in love with thee
So why should fate stand in between?"

And as I drowned Her gentle curves
With dreams unsaid and final words
I espied a gleam trodden to earth
The Church bell tower key...

The village mourned her by the by
For She'd been a witch
Their Men had longed to try
And I broke under Christ seeking guilty signs
My tortured soul on ice

A Queen of snow
Far beyond compare
Lips attuned to symmetry
Sought Her everywhere
Trappistine eyes
An Arabian nightmare...

She was Ersulie possessed
Of a milky white skin
My porcelain Yin
A graceful Angel of Sin

And so for Her...
The breeze stank of sunset and camphor
My lantern chased Her phantom and blew
Their Chapel ablaze and all locked in to a pain
Best reserved for judgement that their bible construed...

Putting reason to flight
Or to flame unashamed
I swept form cries
Mesmerized
By the taffeta Ley
Or Her hips that held sway
Over all those at bay
Save a mist on the rise
A final blessing to hide
Her ghost in the fog

And I embraced
Where lovers rot...