Witches by Hans Holzer

Runewriter

Apparently I left out an essential comment when posting, lack of coffee I suspect. Because of your request to be more specific I have returned to book and actually found some sections that might be interesting reading. This book does start giving the impression that Wicca is the end all for everything. The first chapter elicited such a gag response on my part that I went no farther other than thumbing through several more pages through out the book where the wicca thing was repeated but now I find not in all of it. Take this as an example of engaging tongue/typing finger on first impression. It is a coffee table book, big and heavy, and probably intended for new age fashionability but I will struggle onward and give a better review in the next few days.

Edited by Runewriter
clarity

Guest Oakbuchanan

Your right, that quite a bit of the book is very Wicca biased.. I think I recall there was a chapter about Anton LaVey and The Church of Satan...overall, this book left me cold and I also think it would make an excellent doorstop..

• 5 years later...

Considering there weren't many Traditional Witches about when this book came out - the only witchcraft Hans could find where the pretend-variety yelling gibberish like Eko, Eko Yakieda! kind of stuff. and bald-headed Lancastrian Witch-kings sitting cross-legged on the top of the Pennines with snow under his ass and some tall guy with a Goats head over his face - don't step back Billy-goat you'll fall off the cliff..."What cliff - Aaaaaghhh - you pillock! :clap: Yup! one born every minute! foxy

Considering there weren't many Traditional Witches about when this book came out - the only witchcraft Hans could find where the pretend-variety . . .

The version of this book that I am aware of was first published in 2002 and republished in 2005, so I am not sure what you mean by saying that "there weren't many Traditional Witches about" at the time.  Do you mean that they were less public, than their new-agey counterparts, thus much harder to locate and write about?

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All

Poor old Hans. I really believed his heart was in the right place but he was just too trusting. Also he was rather inconsistent in his research. Now it could be said I am not much better but then I don't try to make anyone think I am that way inclined to be honest. He never seemed to be able to reconcile the balance between personal conviction and established fact.

He wanted to be in it and if memory serves .. I think he wound up in with the Andersen's Feri bunch, (amke of that what you will!). He had it all though didn't he? The tweeds, elbow patches, the Austrian background, the fabulous profile and those awesome eyebrows. He desperately wanted to do the right thing but some of his leaps were the sort that showed that, (in some areas) he simply didn't have much of a clue. I think he'd have been quiet an interesting person to know!

Scott