Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

circelilith

nail problems

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to pick ur brains...My nails for the last month seem to be separating/ i layers making it almost impossible for me to play my guitar/take placstig off anything/ do a lot in general...it hurts and it catches on everything and its every single nail on both hands.

Does anyone have any natural remedies for this? any tips or suggestions?

Thank you all ^^

Peace

Circe

Vitamin E is good for strenthening nails and softening skin :D Incidently acrylic nails are awesome for everything, they take a lot of battering - great for playing guitar :D

ooh nice! ill get some vitamin E creme tomorrow.^^

This is gonna sound weird but ive never had fake nails...or even a manicure...lmao. Im not much of a girl am i? I think its all that heavy metal music I keep playing and hanging with all my goth boys and gamer boys :0 :D :grin_witch: I really need to start looking after myself a bit more lol!

lol you can still be that girl, just with wicked ass nails that'll scratch the hell outta them if they annoy you, plus most nail places will paint them black for you - I always ask for it :D They are seriously the toughest stuff on the planet, i've only broken one once in the 4 years i've been getting them done :D

I'm 40 & it was just a few months ago that my roomate took me to a nail salon & paid for my nails to get done. They never grew very long before they would break off or I would pull them off do to nerves. Thanks to acrylic nails, my nails are growing & I broke the habit so far of pulling them off. Now I like to clack my acrylic nails together to make a beat. lol Their longer then my roomates & her friends & they are alittle confused why I want them long like this but I really enjoy them now & they make me feel like I'm more like a woman instead of the not taking care of them & doing man things. lol Its like a new me or a part of me has come out that looks pretty. Yeah I have selfconfidence issues but am making changes that help build my confidence. My family thinks I'm in a midlife crisis & going back to my teen years, but I say The me is just now coming out for the first time. lol

sorry got abit off topic but I love my new acrylic nails. lol

Sapphire

Sapphire thats awesome!!!! Its not unusual and its great that its giving u self confidence! And I dont think its a mid life crisis...like you said u are just letting urself shine and showing ppl who u are ^^

Nyx...you know u may just be onto something with the nails being an awesome weapon...i mean strengthener... i do need something to keep these boys in line..i might be more of a threat if i actually have an inbuilt weapon bwahahahahahah!!!!!

I'm 40 & it was just a few months ago that my roomate took me to a nail salon & paid for my nails to get done. They never grew very long before they would break off or I would pull them off do to nerves. Thanks to acrylic nails, my nails are growing & I broke the habit so far of pulling them off. Now I like to clack my acrylic nails together to make a beat. lol Their longer then my roomates & her friends & they are alittle confused why I want them long like this but I really enjoy them now & they make me feel like I'm more like a woman instead of the not taking care of them & doing man things. lol Its like a new me or a part of me has come out that looks pretty. Yeah I have selfconfidence issues but am making changes that help build my confidence. My family thinks I'm in a midlife crisis & going back to my teen years, but I say The me is just now coming out for the first time. lol

sorry got abit off topic but I love my new acrylic nails. lol

Sapphire

That's brilliant - it's true, having long, nicely shaped nails makes me feel more feminine... and then if I'm doing something heavy at college, I'll trim them right down and my hands feel less feminine somehow! But it's lovely to hear that your confidence has boosted as a result of those acrylics!!!

Circelilith - my advice would be.... acrylics are great - but are even better if your nails are in good condition before you pop them on. Yes, they do protect the nail underneath because the acrylic is really hard.. but, if you've got an underlying nail problem, you're covering it up!

Years ago (when I worked in a beauty salon) my boss had acrylics and underneath she was cultivating a terrible fungal infection.. and the acrylic on top was literally suffocating the nail bed underneath.

I'm NOT saying you have a fungal infection, but personally, I'd be inclined to check that you're not lacking in any minerals/vitamins etc.. or have started using something in the house (like soap/detergents) which may make the nail layers more prone to peeling and splitting. Nails are really good at flagging up if you're run down.. but can also do this if you're subjecting your hands to a lot of wear and tear.

Vit E is great (you can take it orally which is good) as well as rubbing in a nice lotion. Really work it into the cuticle area to encourage blood flow and oxygen to that area too.. protect your hands when you're immersing them in water.. and file them in one direction only.. or you can encourage the layers to break.

I read somewhere years ago that gelatin in good (not sure if that's right) and I wouldn't eat animal gelatin myself.. but maybe that's worth looking at.

Anyway.. that's my two-penneth worth!!! By the way... Acrylics do look fab.. and I love that they have made you feel foxy, Sapphire :D

Thanks both of you. I think I forgot to mention to that my real nails are actually growing longer underneath the acrylics. I just hope they will be strong enough when I take the acrylic off , cause I really want to have my own nails long & not need to keep paying for acrylics & the fill ins. long term can be expensive. lol

Sapphire

Thank you Amber :)

I think i might start taking a multi-vitamin, i have been quite run down ( im onto my second summer cold in a month -_- ) if it doesnt clear up i might make a doc appoint ...as much as i hate doctors.

I think its time i invested in a good hand creme esp if im beating my nails against steels strings...i know its not helping it...i just loathe not being able to play my guitar *pines for her baby*

You're welcome.. and I really cannot stress enough how hand creams are great.. but if you can take a supplement orally, you'll see benefits quicker..:D

I've tried acrylics once or twice, years ago, and they never would stay on for more than a few days. I had the same problem of peeling layers and damn near lost most of the nail when the fakies broke off. I keep them short now (by a quarter inch, they start to break again), and make sure to use lotion often to keep in moisture. Make sure your clippers are sharp, too -- dull ones will aid in splitting.

Guest lusete

Garlic is very good for your nails. And for your health all round. However, the bad breath or fingernails smelling of garlic is a HUGE downer... :wink:

But whenever I am cooking (or OH) and we use garlic I always use a little bit and rub them on my fingernails. My grandma taught me this, but you also find plenty of info about garlic and nails on the net.

http://ambergriscaye.com/25years/garlic.html

http://www.recipezaar.com/Weak-and-Split-Nails-Treatment-132648

Lusete )o(

Splitting nails CAN indicate a biotin deficiency. 2.5 milligrams per day as a supplement is recommended. Usually takes 5-6 months to notice the difference as you have to wait for the new nail to grow completely out.

For those of you who have acrylic nails ... just remember that when the manicurist roughens the nail bed to provide a surface for adhesion that he/she is taking off a layer of nail. If you ever decide to have your natural nails again, they will be thin and easily break until the nail grows out. I have my nails "done" whenever I give a lecture and my natural nails aren't looking too good because of gardening, etc. (I talk with my hands as well as my mouth.) When the fake nail comes off, it takes a long time to get my natural nail looking good again.

Guest Rebie

I had acrylics for many years. I would not ever put them on again. I found out a few things about them over the years. Your natural nails cannot get oxygen. They have to sand down your top nail layer to get it to adhere. That eventually causes permanent damage. Gel nails are better, but do not last long. They are not as strong. But they are good for special occassions. My point is, I would not do the acrylics. Use the oils and vitamins. Eating gelitan is good. I know some people would object to eating gelitan cause of what it is made of. But it is a fact it is great for your nails.

Rebie

I had acrylics for many years. I would not ever put them on again. I found out a few things about them over the years. Your natural nails cannot get oxygen. They have to sand down your top nail layer to get it to adhere. That eventually causes permanent damage.

Me too! I would never ever wear acrylics again. They did so much damage to my own nails that it took quite a while to get them healthy again. I don't do nail polish anymore either due to the amount of toxic chemicals used in them. Just stick with the vitamins and oils and if you want to shine them up a bit, lightly buff them with a nail buffer.

SapphireMoon,

I understand exactly where you are coming from! I'm 41 and currently going through a 'getting back in touch with the feminine' phase. For me, I sense menopause is around the corner and I'm coming into my own so to speak, finding an inner strength as a woman that comes with getting toward the crone stage. For me, midlife crisis is when you don't want to get old, you cling to youth. Yeah, there's part of me that doesn't want to get old, but I'm more interested in the depths of wisdom and my spiritual side that I believe is held until you enter this stage. Don't know, just rambling :)

Circelilith, check out this link. Go down to 'Brittle Nails' and read what they say http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html

Thank you guys!

I didnt realise that acrylic nails did that but it makes sense. I dont really use nail polish etc. due to the fact it chips every time im playing guitar ( and its not an attractive look having black chipped fingernail)

I have no qualms eating gelatin...as long as its in jelly :P

I didnt hadnt realised how good garlic was for nails....again another thing that garlic helps with ^^ * loves garlic*

Im taking a multivitamin now and using a vitamin e hand cream so im hoping this helps!

Thank you guys so so much for ur help ^^

I do know about the damage that acrylics can do to your nails, that's why i usually get the shits at them and leave them off for like 6 months then i get them done again. They do end up being cracked and soft but they do recover :D

I guess it's personal choice as to who does what to their nails :D

My 2 cents....I am a retired Licensed Nail Tech (did nails for 15 yrs). Gelatin does nothing for nails....so don't bother....vitamin sups are good...do not do acrylic now.....back off or wear gloves while using chemicals for cleaning.....use cuticle oil, rub it into you cuticles and nails as many times a day as you want especially at nite, lay it on thick.....best piece of advise.....careful of dirty diapers, urine can cause all kinds of nail problems. If you can, use latex gloves when you change the little bugger and then wash your hands well!!! I found this out the hard way! Stress can also play a major role in declining nail health! I personally wear gel on my nails and yes, when you remove the stuff, your nails are weak but they take about a year to become healthy again (I was taught that for every year you wear acrylic or gel, it takes 1 month for your nails to become healthy...3 yrs/3 months, etc). IF your nail tech does the job properly, they will leave a small opening betweem the cuticle and the gel, put oil in that area so it gets into the nail and keeps it a little healthier.

If you have a beauty supply house near you, go in and ask what they would recommend you to use. There are many products out there that will help. I know OPI brand nail polish has a large line of nail treatments, thats if you can get OPI where you are at. If not, I may be able to get you a bottle and send it over to you (I still get my discounts). I'll have to check with John 1st and see if its possible to send something like that over to ya (he works with U.S.Customs).

Remember that nothing you do will work overnite, just keep them as short as you can and you should be ok until the problems are solved!!!

:beerchug:

Thank you Morgana!

I bought some nail strengthener, and some vitamin e hand cream, and some gloves ( thank you for giving me the perfect excuse to get out of nappy duty :evil:)

Again thank you everyone for ur awesome advice...hopefully in a few months and some care it will actually stop!!!!

Well, I am older and have to take blood thinners. Sadly enough, almost every vitamin on the market has vitamin K in it, which screws up my lab work and my blood altogether, as it is there to help your blood clot. SO, I take prenatal vitamins. The only ones I could find without Vitamin K. My nails are strong and my hair is growing back after losing a great deal of it to certain meds I have to take. Give that a try. Try olive oil on your nails at night.

Guest Good Witch of the South

As much as I hate petroleum based products...rubbing Vicks into your nails not only moisturizes them, but the oils have anti fungal and bacterial properties.

I totally forgot about vicks. It works wonders on any nail fungus. I've used it my toe when I got a fungus after smashing it. :upset:

Plus its great for the nose!! :eheheh:

awesome ill try that as well! ( since im using it anyway for this bloody summer cold might as well put it on the nails in the process !)

I think its stress and a vitamin deficiency ( im going to the doc tomorrow) mainly since i have been under so much stress of late and its only happened since being stressed and of course when im stressed i dont eat, thus causing said problems...but now things are slowly calming down ( it will be so much better after the 9th of feb ) im really investing in loking after myself a bit better.

thank you so much to everyone for all the awesome suggestions^^ im sure before too long these pesky split nails will disappear!

Guest Good Witch of the South
I totally forgot about vicks. It works wonders on any nail fungus. I've used it my toe when I got a fungus after smashing it. :upset:

Plus its great for the nose!! :eheheh:

Slight hijack here, but if you have a cold you can't beat...rub it on the soles of your feet and wear socks to bed.

Works wonders.