Red Thread

Desert Sage

i have heard of the red thread once or twice, always used in a symbolistic way. Some say its the energy current that can be seen and felt by other witches. Another way of knowing there own. I have also heard it used to describe having a ancestor link to witches in your family from the past. I have personal never seen it but i guess i have have felt it before. As I am sure most of us on here can say that they have had these experiences of knowing before.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went looking online for the red thread witches and what I found was the biggest bunch of BS I have ever seen in my life. According to them they are the only witches period. They only come from one area of Europe and if your not descended from there your an imposter. It's there own secret club and the rest of us are not invited, so nope I don't think I would like them much.

When I think "red thread" I think of Kabbalah and story of Rahab in Jericho, not necessarily witch bloodlines.

As far as being born a witch or descended from witches is concerned, at this point everyone's got a witch SOMEWHERE in their family if you go back far enough. From what I'm reading here it does seem to just be a way to make people feel special. (However, I learned from Tyler Durden that I am NOT a beautiful and unique snowflake. ;) ... Sorry, wee joke.... )

In my personal beliefs surrounding souls and the after/fore-life, I don't think having a bit of witch in ya is all that uncommon.

..... I don't think having a bit of witch in ya is all that uncommon.

Considering all of us can trace our DNA back to the same woman in Africa and the fact that every race and culture has a belief in magic or practice folk magic, I would say that this is true. It only matters if one cultivates what is inside them already or not. A seed with out soil and water doesn't grow.

Edited by Whiterose

Hello Whiterose

I am Red Thread Witch, a member of a Family whose Tradition is Red Thread and I am aware of the confusion and misperceptions that exist on the subject.

To attempt to answer all the misperceptions posted in this thread is a little beyond the time I have to give at the moment, although I do appreciate your consideration in this. Perhaps to answer the last post may give a little clarity.

Hello Athena

Since the only website indicating Red Thread Witch as far as I can see is Ravening Family, I am presuming this is the site you have read, if my presumption is incorrect then perhaps the thoughts below may at least provide a little clarity into the subject of Red Thread.

Red Thread is a Tradition.

Red Thread is also the Bloodline of Witch, it is the thread connecting all who are Witch to one originating ancestor; by definition this makes Witch into a specific race.

Witch is not limited to one area of Europe; Witch can be found running through and in most cultures of the world. It may be more correct to say that the Bloodline that is Witch threads through most cultures, this is the red thread.

Red Thread Tradition however, does originate from northern Britain; Britain is the island and islands that comprise Great Britain.

The ‘secret club’ you perceive is a Family, although you are correct in your thought that if someone isn’t invited in they will find it difficult to gain access any other way.

You are also correct that an invitation to enter in (initiation) is unlikely unless an individual was born and lives in Britain, although there are exceptions to this; occasionally adoption is offered to those who were not born here but have made Britain their home and have cut all ties to the land they were actually born to. This is a rare event, but it does happen and possibly may againin the future.

Family however, from time to time do issues invitations to one or two individuals to come sit around our fireside and this is not always limited to those born and living here in Britain.

It is often difficult to give understanding and clarity of thought, in words on paper or on an internet forum. Although there are limitations to what I will say in public, I will answer questions as best I can on Red Thread, my Family’s website address is below, it probably raises more questions than it answers but this is the way of things when dealing with the old ways and the Family’s who hold them close.

www.ravening.co.uk

Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, January 23, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Mountain Witch, January 23, 2013 - No reason given

http://www.freewebs.com/darkencounter/redthreadrubbish.htm

Ravening is a knock off of Arddhu, according to their head Mother, if her name still be Carole.

Pay the price for the Ravening witchcraft course and you can be a red thread Witch too, as long as you don't live in America.

I remember you very well Atropa.

Brea

Brea

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Mountain Witch, January 23, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Mountain Witch, January 23, 2013 - No reason given

That was a very interesting read ,

Thank you Brea

Btw that ravening website is the exact one I read prior to my post and I stand by my assessment it's states very clearly in your family article that only red thread witches are real witches which must be from that area of Europe below are excerpts from the site there for I completely disagree with the entire thing and dismiss it as untenable. However to each their own and if this is your path by all means follow it just don't expect me to jump on board.

The question is

Does that then make them “Witch”?

My answer to this question is - not unless they are of the Red Thread.

The Red Thread.

The Red thread came into being in Northern Europe.

The Red Thread enables the birth of new “Witch”

The Red Thread is the catalyst that brings forth Witch Incarnate

The Red Thread is continuous through the female line

The Red Thread exists in the male line.

Edited by Athena

...Red Thread is a Tradition.

Red Thread is also the Bloodline of Witch

within that specific tradition (Red Thread/Ravening), for whereas all people/s have a right to opinions of other traditions, if they are not of that tradition they do not have the right to apply their mythology/beliefs to the other traditions as it is not necessarily the lore of the other traditions

..., it is the thread connecting all who are Witch (within the Red Thread/Ravening tradition) to one originating ancestor; by definition this makes Witch into a specific race (in the Red Thread/Ravening belief system/lore).

Witch is not limited to one area of Europe; Witch can be found running through and in most cultures of the world. It may be more correct to say that the Bloodline that is Witch threads through most cultures, this is the red thread.

Red Thread Tradition however, does originate from northern Britain; Britain is the island and islands that comprise Great Britain.

The ‘secret club’ you perceive is a Family, although you are correct in your thought that if someone isn’t invited in they will find it difficult to gain access any other way.

You are also correct that an invitation to enter in (initiation) is unlikely unless an individual was born and lives in Britain, although there are exceptions to this; occasionally adoption is offered to those who were not born here but have made Britain their home and have cut all ties to the land they were actually born to. This is a rare event, but it does happen and possibly may againin the future.

Family however, from time to time do issues invitations to one or two individuals to come sit around our fireside and this is not always limited to those born and living here in Britain.

It is often difficult to give understanding and clarity of thought, in words on paper or on an internet forum. Although there are limitations to what I will say in public, I will answer questions as best I can on Red Thread, my Family’s website address is below, it probably raises more questions than it answers but this is the way of things when dealing with the old ways and the Family’s who hold them close.

www.ravening.co.uk

The term "Red Thread" has also been used by some to simply define whether or not someone has a witch within their bloodline. In some specific traditions it may or may not be considered a necessity, but that is the lore of specific tradition/s.

M

My lore and understanding of red thread is that pretty much anyone who is drawn to witchcraft and commits to it has the red thread. You just couldn't care less and wouldn't get into it if you didn't. A lot of people read red thread to be a tool to exclude people. But I see it as an explanation of the call to witchcraft, to include people drawn to the path. Once a witch always a witch--which means that you were a witch in a past life, and are reincarnated here and will find witchcraft again.

Victor Anderson said all witchcraft comes from Africa--based on the same fact that was mentioned above, we all come descend from the same ancestors ultimately.

Gerald Gardner (oops sorry to bring the old bugger up) said that once a witch always a witch. Old covens have special rituals to ensure that they will reincarnate together again in the same family lines.

Cultus Sabbatic lore have Lilith and Cain as witch ancestors that all witches are descended from. If you know your Bible lore, Cain and Lilith went off into the world and developed all the races of the world, not just the Hebrews.

Other witch lores are that witches are descended from when the Sons of God (the fallen angels) came to earth and laid with human women. Still other lore says that witches are descended from the fairy races.

None of the above witches said that only their initiates were witches! The lore may not be your lore, but it isn't meant to be racist against you seeking out witchcraft. Its meant to show that you are drawn to the craft for legendary reasons.

Considering all of us can trace our DNA back to the same woman in Africa and the fact that every race and culture has a belief in magic or practice folk magic, I would say that this is true. It only matters if one cultivates what is inside them already or not. A seed with out soil and water doesn't grow.

I tend to believe this. And base on the numbers of people that I see doing simular other world things and are of different cultures from different countries there is some long ago starting point.

The term "Red Thread" has also been used by some to simply define whether or not someone has a witch within their bloodline. In some specific traditions it may or may not be considered a necessity, but that is the lore of specific tradition/s.

M

Hello Michele

I agree with your thoughts, the term ‘Red Thread’ has been used by many cultures; Judaic lore is steeped in red thread.

There are Christian based religions that consider ‘red thread’ to be the blood of Jesus Christ therefore looking to his father the one god as the originator of red thread, but their thoughts are not quite the same as the Red Thread of Witch..

As you say Michele, some traditions don’t use the term at all, if the participants are of the Blood then not using or not understanding Red Thread doesn’t mean those within such traditions are not Witch.

Here in Britain it is said that around 50% of people who were born here are of the Blood, I take this as a ball park figure as there has been little research done on the statistics, but judging by the number of people here who have some link or interest in Witch and Witchcrafts I can well believe it is correct or even a little on the low side at 50%

The thought of Red Thread is an old one, older than the origins of the Torah. Mainstream religions all have Abraham as their starting point, with Judaic lore possibly being the oldest.

Race Witch has its origins a good deal earlier than any of the Abrahamic religions; perhaps a question worth thinking about is where did Abrahamic religions find the thought of the Red Thread? Is it possible that Red Thread originated with Witch? I am of the opinon this is more likely than not.

My lore and understanding of red thread is that pretty much anyone who is drawn to witchcraft and commits to it has the red thread. You just couldn't care less and wouldn't get into it if you didn't. A lot of people read red thread to be a tool to exclude people. But I see it as an explanation of the call to witchcraft, to include people drawn to the path. Once a witch always a witch--which means that you were a witch in a past life, and are reincarnated here and will find witchcraft again.

Victor Anderson said all witchcraft comes from Africa--based on the same fact that was mentioned above, we all come descend from the same ancestors ultimately.

Gerald Gardner (oops sorry to bring the old bugger up) said that once a witch always a witch. Old covens have special rituals to ensure that they will reincarnate together again in the same family lines.

Cultus Sabbatic lore have Lilith and Cain as witch ancestors that all witches are descended from. If you know your Bible lore, Cain and Lilith went off into the world and developed all the races of the world, not just the Hebrews.

Other witch lores are that witches are descended from when the Sons of God (the fallen angels) came to earth and laid with human women. Still other lore says that witches are descended from the fairy races.

None of the above witches said that only their initiates were witches! The lore may not be your lore, but it isn't meant to be racist against you seeking out witchcraft. Its meant to show that you are drawn to the craft for legendary reasons.

Hello sarasuperid

I think you have understood Red Thread very well, and that’s not easy to achieve.

I agree with most of your thoughts here; Red Thread doesn’t exclude anyone; if someone is of the Blood then they are a part of Red Thread, whether they use the name Witch or not doesn’t really make any difference, we are what we are. Witch is still Witch whether practising alone or within a Traditon

Although being of a Tradition myself I can see the opportunities that this can open up, but I also agree that this may not for everyone.

Although there may be some people who are drawn to Witch and Witchcraft, if they aren’t of the Blood then they will loose interest and fall away. So yes, I think you and I have more agreement than otherwise.

It isn’t easy being Witch; without commitment then Witch will fall right back to sleep.

To be of the Blood doesn’t need initiation, someone either is or they are not.

Initiation into a group or a Family is something very specific, it usually comprises of an agreement between initiate and group to abide by certain rules or perhaps a certain ethos. Initiation into any group or Family is not what determines someone is Witch.

I enjoyed your post sarasuperid, thank you.

I tend to believe this. And base on the numbers of people that I see doing simular other world things and are of different cultures from different countries there is some long ago starting point.

Hello The Exile

Have you read the books written by Bryan Sykes, "'The Seven Daughters of Eve" and "Blood of the Isles"?

If not then The Blood of the Isles is an excellent read as it incorporates much of the research he did for his book The Seven Daughters of Eve..

He has done a vast amount of research on the origins of man and in his first book The Seven Daughters of Eve, he traces back the origins to seven particular women. In his sequel to this Blood of the Isles he has further researched into the origins of man and has traced back to nine originating women.

Bryan Sykes is a professor of human genetis at Oxford University who has gone his own way rather than agreed with what is considerd to be 'the norm', his work is well worth reading as he explaines exactly how and where he obtained his research from.

Correlating the work Bryan Sykes has done and legends regarding the nine maidens, nine daughrers of Eve, the nine mothers etc, there are some credible links between research and legend to be found.

Edited by atropa

Hello The Exile

Have you read the books written by Bryan Sykes, "'The Seven Daughters of Eve" and "Blood of the Isles"?

If not then The Blood of the Isles is an excellent read as it incorporates much of the research he did for his book The Seven Daughters of Eve..

He has done a vast amount of research on the origins of man and in his first book The Seven Daughters of Eve, he traces back the origins to seven particular women. In his sequel to this Blood of the Isles he has further researched into the origins of man and has traced back to nine originating women.

If these original maidens are called "Daughters of Eve" then that would imply that one woman....Eve was their mother. Thus the entire Human Race would be descendant from Eve....Mitochondrial Eve as opposed to Biblical Eve. Folklore can be interpreted many different ways hence the different, but similar lore of different cultures (hindu culture and celtic for example) and the different lore of witch groups that Sara pointed out. Also, one man has it right when every other geneticist in the scientific community has it wrong? I have an issue with that.

Since we are all related in some fashion, it is possible that the potential to be a witch exists in many like the trait for blue eyes or red hair for example. It doesn't mean that these people will choose to answer that calling or if they do, do anything with it.

Since we are all related also, we can all breed together, even across different ethnic groups, meaning that there is, indeed, only ONE race of humans, the human race. That fact is scientifically proven. If witches wouldn't be able to breed with other humans, than I would believe that Witches are a different Race. But since that is not the case....I call bullshit on the Race bit.

Granted we don't know the whole lore of this tradition, if there is, indeed, more to it and if there are people out there that want to believe this and have this as their tradition, good for you, more power to you. There are many untruths in the Bible too yet it has millions of followers. I choose not to follow but to think as that is what I am called to do by being a witch. Witch with a little w because I am one of many, not defined by a perceived specialness in the word, but by my actions as a human.

Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, February 25, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Mountain Witch, February 25, 2013 - No reason given

This was posted on page 3 of this thread. I thought I would repost it, It makes for quite an interesting read.

http://www.freewebs....readrubbish.htm

Brea

Hello Brea

It would seem you are determined to link Ravening and Arddhu in some way and to discredit me and mine whilst doing so.

Whilst it isn’t one of my ways, or the ways of my Family, to deride or attack an individual or group in public, but when a one sided view is put forward as you have done, and this attempts to undermine me and mine, then I will give an answer.

You have never been a student of Ravening. How can you claim that Ravening is an offshoot of Arddhu if you know nothing about us?

I do know, however, that you were once a student of Arddhu.

If you read below excerpts from Ravening’s website you will see that not only does Ravening give information of why Family Ravening was birthed, it also gives knowledge that Ravening has no connection with any other group or family in the public domain. There is no exception to this statement and by this definition this includes the group Arddhu..

The page where you can find this is http://ravening.co.uk/page4.html

And I have full permission from the owner of the website, Ravening Family, to give this link and to copy what you will find below.

“It is of importance to give the knowledge that Ravening has no connection or agreement with any other group or family that exists in the public domain; Ravening stands alone in public view”

“The Red Thread has existed longer than most other Traditions be they Witch or mankind, it has been nurtured, kept safe and adulterated by certain Families that have worked the thoughts and actions of Red Thread and have protected the foundations and philosophies that sit at its core. From the times in history where necessity drove Witch underground, until today, such Families have stayed hidden, and now either still sit in shadow or have not survived.

After the new millennium one Family made the decision to reach out of the shadows and birth a new Family to carry The Red Thread Tradition forward into the future and into the public domain. Why this decision was made is not for discussion here, but the result was the birth of Ravening Family. The Elder Family that sits behind Ravening still sits in deepest shadow until such times as they may deem it necessary to do otherwise.”

It may not be completely clear from the above where our Elder Family still resides, but the website does say it originates and exists in the north of Britain.

It is widely known that Arddhu originated in the West Country, to be specific, in Cornwall with links to Somerset. I am aware you are not in Britain Brea, but I would have thought you knew the difference between the north and the south?

It would serve you well if you were to do a little more research before coming to conclusions that are your own personal viewpoint rather than knowing what actually is; if you take a look at this website

http://arddhuletters.webs.com/

and read the two letters on there you will see that Arddhu and its magister or owner were discredited some while ago.

Perhaps you may want to wonder why I would give you this link if Ravening was attached in any way to Arddhu?

And no, the website link above has no association at all with Ravening, I only know it’s there because someone choose to tell me about it, you see Brea, I don’t give information that I haven’t either proved for myself or that I verify comes from a creditable source I can trust.

I have no quarrel with you Brea, neither do I want to argue with anyone on here, but please, credit people who are Witch with a little more credibility than believing the personal perceptions of someone who may have a personal axe to grind.

If you really want to continue this conversation between you and I then I am more than happy to do so, perhaps you may want to take it to ‘personal message’ where I can give you more information to remind you of what your memory has obviously forgotten.