Red Thread

Desert Sage

Just wanted to hear peoples throughs on the red thread. Do you think its real? Assuming it is, what is it? How can you tell if a person has it? Is it significant today?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

artisson describes this in his 'Witching Way' book as the red thread of fate and destiny, the part of wyrd which is associated with magic. Is this what you mean desert sage? He also mentions it as representing magic in a blood line through family?

I havent done enough reading on this to make up my mind whether i think it exists or not, but weirdly enough it was one of the things on my list to research - so interesting you should post this thread! :cool:

Just wanted to hear peoples throughs on the red thread. Do you think its real? Assuming it is, what is it? How can you tell if a person has it? Is it significant today?

Hi Owlblink, yeah, I've seen it mentioned on a few forums I'm on and wanted to see what others thought. Sorry, should have clarified, I meant in terms of a witch having it.

I'm not familar with this term. Can you please enlighten us? The only red thread I am aware oof is where you overwater plants and they grow some sort of fungus and die.

The red thread is supposed to be the thing which makes a witch a witch. I've seen some discussion on other forums and nobody seems to be sure exactly what it is. Kinda vague I know, but its meant to be like some kind of spiritual inheritance that decides whose a witch. Apparently, some people can see it in others. I think its more common with family traditions then with the general public. Just wanted some other pespectives on it.

Here Suzi, try reading this:

http://ravening.co.uk/html/red_thread.html

:D

Thanks and I read it. But to me it still doesn't explain what the hell a red thread witch is. It asks what it is and gives vague counter questions around it but doesn't address this at all.

The only thing I can gather from this and whatever the op is referring to is that the red thread witch is born...also from what the link you gave me states...it seems to be continious throughout the female line, but also is present within the males as well.

There's an old term..wow. It all started back in the 80's. There never was a Red Thread Tradition. It was a bit of fiction that alot of people accepted as fact then expounded upon the fallacy. Good credible work has been derived from this phantasm. It is a lie that has evolved into fact.

It does seem an odd choice of term. Folklore is unwavering in affording the red thread-as an ANTI-WITCH device usually affixed to Rowan twigs in order to protect livestock/humans etc. against the possible malefics of witches.

to me, the 'the spider web' seems to be referring to the threads of fate or destiny ... perhaps that would tie the two theories of fate and lineage together, because it is the fate of the family to inherit craft power. It speaks of using the spider web as a tool, which also makes sense. They do mention northern european traditions, which would make sense in relation to Distaff etc?

Grimalkin, i didnt know it was a 'tradition' either...perhaps thats why the article is so vague :) from what you have said there may be some truth behind red thread but maybe not as a tradition as such. Tying red threads to rowan for protection from witches? For some reason i've always really favoured using red threads and cords in magic. no idea why!!!

Thanks and I read it. But to me it still doesn't explain what the hell a red thread witch is. It asks what it is and gives vague counter questions around it but doesn't address this at all.

The only thing I can gather from this and whatever the op is referring to is that the red thread witch is born...also from what the link you gave me states...it seems to be continious throughout the female line, but also is present within the males as well.

The practice of using red thread on the Rowan tree as protection from witchery evolved from Judeo-Christian belief, the scapegoat was tethered to a red thread then thrown off a cliff, upon hitting bottom the thread would turn white, thus expelling evil from the community (hmm sound like a spell to me). The Red Thread is one of those things that can be utilized or discarded as it relates to real witchcraft. I don't give creedance to it, because I know better, but for those who benefit from it and find it useful, well good for them. We don't know the origins of alot of things we hold dear. The power we use to create, innovate and influence is valid. Witchcraft is not stagnant, we hold the old ways and add some new ways. If you know something is a lie, but you see good coming from it....what do you do about it?

And yes I/We do use red threads, cords, and fabric in our work....it's not the tool, but the intent that makes the magick happen.

Do you remember about 18 months ago we had a few people join us who were 'Witch'?. They basically pissed us off no end and were booted from the site, they were red thread witches 'the only real chosen ones' if I recall.

I remember they came onto the pagan/witchcraft forums in force with huge egos but not much else, and dissapered quite quickly. From what we deduced, if you want to be a real witch (and red thread is the only way) you have to pay ?25 per lesson and you can learn it all over the internet.

Whilst we traditiional witches acept their are many forms of witchcraft red thread are adamant that they are the real deal.......and if you want to know the secrets of real witchcraft you just have to hand over your cash

and hey presto you can join the gang.

Do you remember about 18 months ago we had a few people join us who were 'Witch'?. They basically pissed us off no end and were booted from the site, they were red thread witches 'the only real chosen ones' if I recall.

I remember they came onto the pagan/witchcraft forums in force with huge egos but not much else, and dissapered quite quickly. From what we deduced, if you want to be a real witch (and red thread is the only way) you have to pay ?25 per lesson and you can learn it all over the internet.

Whilst we traditiional witches acept their are many forms of witchcraft red thread are adamant that they are the real deal.......and if you want to know the secrets of real witchcraft you just have to hand over your cash

Oh shit yeah now I remember!!!! Oh fucking lord...please don't tell me this is the same crap.

Lol well so far we've had 2 explanations for this red thread 1. It's an etherial red thread which can only be seen by some and it marks you as a 'true witch' *vomit* and 2. It's real red thread tied to rowan branches to ward off witches....this one i have heard many times before and i think we could count it as a wives tale :D

i think we can just all give the first one up as bunk!

those internet frauds remind me of some of those tv evangelists - "jesus loves you if you send your money to..."

It does seem an odd choice of term. Folklore is unwavering in affording the red thread-as an ANTI-WITCH device usually affixed to Rowan twigs in order to protect livestock/humans etc. against the possible malefics of witches.

I can see this starting from someone asking a witch (whether they knew it or not) what would keep witches away from their cattle and being told this story. Its not unheard of for a witch to misdirect.

As for where it might have come from, the idea of those who weave fate, such as the norns springs to mind for me.

Hey, I'm only raising this topic because its out there and I'm fairly new to the path. I do have a brain and a nose for sniffing out scam.

So, I will change the question then. Do you think there is something about a witch that is somehow different or can anybody be a witch if they choose? There are some people, no matter how hard they try will just never be able to 'get' it. Or do you think that anybody can if they work hard enough?

Hey, I'm only raising this topic because its out there and I'm fairly new to the path. I do have a brain and a nose for sniffing out scam.

So, I will change the question then. Do you think there is something about a witch that is somehow different or can anybody be a witch if they choose? There are some people, no matter how hard they try will just never be able to 'get' it. Or do you think that anybody can if they work hard enough?

Desert Sage...your question is pretty much the same as in asking if only "special people" are psychic.

I've said this once and I'll say it again on here...everyone who is born has the ability (whether it be some psychic ability, etc.) what I am speaking of is the innate ability that is born in all souls.

NOW...society/outside influence/intimate family and friends influence/etc. can and all too often have a profound effect on all souls.

So getting back to your question (which has been revised according to you) do I think there is anything different in someone being a witch or can they choose?

The ability is already there. It is whether or not the soul chooses to acknowledge it.

Example:

Say little Betty has the ability to "see" colors around all living things (human/plants/animal/etc.) and takes great pleasures in staring at these colors BUT her family makes fun of her and tells her it is "bad" and whatever church the family attends says that little Betty "seeing" colors is the work of the devil himself and she must ignore it.

Little Betty does as she is told to do. Let's hope that one day little Betty wakes up and realizes that "seeing" colors isn't the work of the devil.

Get it now???

Always feel free to raise a topic - we're happy to discuss it, but also keep in mind that we mods don't know who can or can't sniff out a scam, and we like to make sure our members are aware and knowledgeable. ;)

As to your question, I think anyone can achieve something if they work hard enough, but there are also sorts who don't have to work quite as hard to get there - musicians for example. Anyone can learn to play a violin - not all will do it with skill that would be breath-taking. Does that make sense? I believe and accept any person who chooses witchcraft as a path; it's doable with hard work and lots of introspection, but I also feel that there are those among us who are more inclined to it, who find this path a bit easier to walk, and who are more open to what it takes to walk it. That is inborn.

I think its more common with family traditions then with the general public.

...and I come from a family tradition and still am not aware of this..

Now that I'm thinking about it, I HAVE heard the term "red thread" before, and have always associated it with a blood lineage. I'd never given thought to the validity of it, and then those folks showed up here last year and started their shit, and now I can't remember if what I'd heard before was due to reading some of their propaganda or something else.

LOL! I think I remember this also.

When I read the initial post, my first thought was -- Madonna and her damn Kabbala bracelet. lol

My personal cynical opinion... a red thread that only certain people can see in you to confirm your true born witchiness is a load of crap, used by jackasses to make others think they must carry super-secret mystical knowledge because they can see this "thread" in the first place.

But that's just jaded ole me.

When I read the initial post, my first thought was -- Madonna and her damn Kabbala bracelet. lol

My personal cynical opinion... a red thread that only certain people can see in you to confirm your true born witchiness is a load of crap, used by jackasses to make others think they must carry super-secret mystical knowledge because they can see this "thread" in the first place.

But that's just jaded ole me.

You're not jaded if it's true :D

Peter Paddon talks about this in The Croocked Path Podcast episode 27.

http://www.crookedpath.org/oldshows.html

It seems to me that it's a question of lineage and if that makes you more genuine as a witch. I think having witches in your family is a god thing if they want to pass the knowledge on, you get to learn from people you trust. But even in "witchy" families there are people that choose not to follow the families path. I wonder if they just try to deny it or if they just don't have "it"?

I think you can be a witch even if you don't grow up in a family of witches. So the way I understand it the red thread is a tradition and the lore and practices of that tradition passed on from person to person, not necessarily in the family.

Thistle

Archived