A Little Bit Of Every Path...

AnjelWolf

I was just thinking back to the other evening that I experienced (white witches, children, etc.). They seemed to blend their practices from several paths (as do I). So I got to wondering...how about everyone else? Let's try this (please)...pick 2 to 3 paths (any) that you take qualities (spells, incantations, herbal treatments, etc.) from and explain what you like most and how yo use them. I'll go first. I draw from Hoodoo...Shamanism & Traditional...Hoodoo because the root work and cursing elements...Shamanism because of working with animal & spirit realms...and finally traditional because of the overall connection with the earths energy. Anyone else??? I figured this would be a good thread to create some conversation :)

Greetings A.W

Well ok now that is a good one. I personally believe that this obviously natural state of affairs, (that I most often express with the words: "No real witch would turn away any trick that made life easier in a bettre way than they know how") is one of teh major stumbling blocks to those who look backward for proof with too pedantic an eye.

I spoke on the other thread about how in that case I made use of different forms and here you are opening it up here - *insert Twilight Zone Music Here* Spooky. Here are some blarts:

Ok ... when I said that I had combined some G.V with Voodoo. This story was the one that convinced me to use more Voudoun stylings in my ritual work at the time. Well the Grimoirum Verum is on the web so if you want to know more you can source it pretty easily in PDF. Without too much detail - I made use of the seal, time and call from that along with the self purification call and lustration from the Key of Solomon (I dunno I just love the cadence of it "Asperges me ... " oo yummy!) The room had been cleared with a scrub and fumigation. It was a small room ohh maybe four by ten meters on the second floor right above the house's main ritual chamber which we had been busily turning into a D.O.R pit.

Now I had also a metal mortal and pestle which was in brass (Agrippa make of the brass gift what you will! lol) and I used that as an offertry dish over the seal as if it were a paten cum pentacle in modern ceremonial practice.

Then I heaped tobacco, filings, hair and certain other goodies in and soaked it deep with a ratio mix of Florida Water, White Rum and Kerosene. I made in this pile a divot with my old blasting rob from my more conventional ceremonial days with the Lesser Key.

In it I placed a statue that I had used for my earlier obsessionals to gain contact. Around the whole of it I traced a Veve of Papa Legba in corm flour and honey - placing droips of rum in all of the lozenges.

Then I lit it up and kept it fed for fifteen minutes while I drummed on the side of teh mortatr with the pestle and chanted the calling from the Verum in time with particular tracks from the CD Sun God (very good if you are into Voudou stuff ... )

I asked Legba to show me why these new influences deserved to be included in my rituals. I asked for a token as to why I should consider them more efficacious than those I already used.

As soon as I had asked this the flames which had been busily licking aroundthe outside suddenly reversed their direction and jetted up the middle in a plume about ohh mabybe a foot high. It totally covered the statue and in a matter of maybe thirty second reduced it to moten slag which simultaneoulsy reducing the whole of the offering there in to not much more than ash.

The room was absolutely thick with smoke and suddely very hot and filled with a vibe of mirthful wrath - the sort of which you get when you see someone you don't like fall down some stairs or trip for no reason on the street. Reckon I got my answer and the blod of metal and ash that was left seemed a pretty clear answer.

Later I used a watered down of the ash in the last as an ink in a pact that I did based loosely on the format scuppered from the Grand Grimoire while using the blob as a talisman which I scratched in a certain seal from Raphael's Book of Talismanic Magic.

After that we had many more adventures (some good and mind buggeringly bad!) along the path of investigation into my theory at the time "that many of the ceremonial grimoires were in fact ceremonialisations of earlier woirks more along the lines of witches with lashings of Solomonics in for structured taste and as a safeguard for inexperienced operators" but again these are other stories! *G*

Fraternally

Scott

I don't know what you would call my path. I didn't consciously take bits from here and bits from there. Mostly what I do is loosely based on the workings of the group I was originally initiated into, plus losts of stuff of my own.

I read, I listen, I meditate and I do.

I really don't know how else to explain it.

StarChilde

I am mostly an energy worker. My mother was most persistant and the energies coming from the elements, so that is the biggest part of what I do.

My spells and rituals are all based off of rocks, herbs, spices, salt, and dirt.

I call on ancestors, and dieties, but I consider that all to be very Trad.

The only outside influence that has come into my belief system and any rituals is Hinduism. Their ideas on life and death really interest me.

However, there is much for me to know and learn so who knows how I will answer this question in 10 years. I am not adverse to other influences.

Greetings A.W

Well ok now that is a good one. I personally believe that this obviously natural state of affairs, (that I most often express with the words: "No real witch would turn away any trick that made life easier in a bettre way than they know how") is one of teh major stumbling blocks to those who look backward for proof with too pedantic an eye.

I spoke on the other thread about how in that case I made use of different forms and here you are opening it up here - *insert Twilight Zone Music Here* Spooky. Here are some blarts:

Ok ... when I said that I had combined some G.V with Voodoo. This story was the one that convinced me to use more Voudoun stylings in my ritual work at the time. Well the Grimoirum Verum is on the web so if you want to know more you can source it pretty easily in PDF. Without too much detail - I made use of the seal, time and call from that along with the self purification call and lustration from the Key of Solomon (I dunno I just love the cadence of it "Asperges me ... " oo yummy!) The room had been cleared with a scrub and fumigation. It was a small room ohh maybe four by ten meters on the second floor right above the house's main ritual chamber which we had been busily turning into a D.O.R pit.

Now I had also a metal mortal and pestle which was in brass (Agrippa make of the brass gift what you will! lol) and I used that as an offertry dish over the seal as if it were a paten cum pentacle in modern ceremonial practice.

Then I heaped tobacco, filings, hair and certain other goodies in and soaked it deep with a ratio mix of Florida Water, White Rum and Kerosene. I made in this pile a divot with my old blasting rob from my more conventional ceremonial days with the Lesser Key.

In it I placed a statue that I had used for my earlier obsessionals to gain contact. Around the whole of it I traced a Veve of Papa Legba in corm flour and honey - placing droips of rum in all of the lozenges.

Then I lit it up and kept it fed for fifteen minutes while I drummed on the side of teh mortatr with the pestle and chanted the calling from the Verum in time with particular tracks from the CD Sun God (very good if you are into Voudou stuff ... )

I asked Legba to show me why these new influences deserved to be included in my rituals. I asked for a token as to why I should consider them more efficacious than those I already used.

As soon as I had asked this the flames which had been busily licking aroundthe outside suddenly reversed their direction and jetted up the middle in a plume about ohh mabybe a foot high. It totally covered the statue and in a matter of maybe thirty second reduced it to moten slag which simultaneoulsy reducing the whole of the offering there in to not much more than ash.

The room was absolutely thick with smoke and suddely very hot and filled with a vibe of mirthful wrath - the sort of which you get when you see someone you don't like fall down some stairs or trip for no reason on the street. Reckon I got my answer and the blod of metal and ash that was left seemed a pretty clear answer.

Later I used a watered down of the ash in the last as an ink in a pact that I did based loosely on the format scuppered from the Grand Grimoire while using the blob as a talisman which I scratched in a certain seal from Raphael's Book of Talismanic Magic.

After that we had many more adventures (some good and mind buggeringly bad!) along the path of investigation into my theory at the time "that many of the ceremonial grimoires were in fact ceremonialisations of earlier woirks more along the lines of witches with lashings of Solomonics in for structured taste and as a safeguard for inexperienced operators" but again these are other stories! *G*

Fraternally

Scott

I also like to work with Voodoo and Talismanic Magick as well...especially when they are blended together. Now the only thing afterwards of doing say a trance ritual/spell like this is that I tend to feel slightly woosy, nauses and weak for about an hour afterwards. I mean I clear the space very well afterwards and everything else...but the end just gets me. Normally does. I was told by a trance expert that my equalibrium might be slightly off as a result of the power blend. Any ideas?

Greetings A.W

I was told by a trance expert that my equalibrium might be slightly off as a result of the power blend. Any ideas?

That is fair comment I think. Afterall whenever we engage in any form of magic (and contact with other or external agency and talismanic magic are excellent examples) we are involved in an energy exchange of varying degrees in different ways.

To use the examples here: Contact with an external agency in a form of summoning or calling is the equivalent of mingling one's core essence with (in many ways) to all extents a stranger. Sure we "know" who we call by way of description from others, research and experience but at the end of the day it is a bit beyond "we never totally know anyone" simply because those fabulous clues we use (like stories to support a view) aren't present.

In many ways spirit work can be some of the most dangerous due to the fact that the only way to know is to connect to the agency and that is that fabulous Excalibur moment with the biscuit: "until you eat ... what do you know .. and then of course it's too late!" lol

We must always consider all obvious things aside whether or not the essences (largely guessed) of external agency are compatible with ourselves and even if they are - what the side effects of comingling are. It takes the old advice "know who you blow" to a whole new level and as supposedly jokey as that may sound I always like to remind myself that the word "contagion" is used in the context of energy work for a very good reason.

Then of course there is also the fact that in the doing, a part of us is well not really here anymore and while the usual effects of that are well documented we often forget that they will be compounded and react with any further side effects - from vibes, to mentality, emotionality and possibly even physicality.

Talismanic work is also very intimate. Again we are combining other things, (each with essences of their own) in an open way (so there is exchange) and then there is the manner ... sometimes things are called into the piece or we draw from around ourseleves ... or ourselves and top up or initiate the same. Again a very intimate sharing that quite often easily leaves us depleted unless all the ledgers of "in/out" are kept strictly square. I like to remember the quote from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: "The people, the things. The things are also people." In many ways any contact with outside agency, (whether sentient or allgedly not so) is dicey and should be undertaken with care.

In this case I would advise (apart from the obvious checking and double checking of your personal levels before, during and after and making sure you give enough - better too much than too little) monitoring your work in relation to your biorhythm every bit as keenly as you do with times of day, month, year and spending perhaps some more time (in the case especially of Voudou and related styles of work) "THIS side" with the older aspects of Papa Legba, (so here obviously I would steer well clear of any Exu work) umm I'd avoid any Ebo Eje and spend some more time going through the Yoruban Ifa (after all the idea that all problems are fixed by careful understanding of the laws I think is actually very sound).

Also lastly I really like and have used with good results the Yoruban Prayer (not really quite the word but it does work quite well as a prefatory or wish list in that sort of context or as affrimative preparatory) that is in Four New World Yoruba Rituals by John Mason which is quite sympathetic to western backgrounds I find.

Fraternally

Scott

Omi tutu Cool water

Ana Tutu Cool Relatives

Ile tutu Cool House

Ona tutu Cool Road

Tutu Laroye Cool owner of Talkativeness

Tutu Egun Cool Ancestors

Ko si Iku Death is no more

Ko si Run Sickness is no more

Ko si Eyo Tragedy is no more

Ofo Loss is no more

Idina Obstacle is no more

Akoba Unforseen Evil is no More

Fitibo To be overwhealmed is no more

Aiku Baba Wa The Immortality of our Fathers

Guest wortmistress

I use mainly a little from what I know of A. Chumbley and Nigel Jackson. Also my path is more shamanic than it used to be. Lastly, I draw "inspiration" from investigations of local cunning figures and gwyddon(witches), utilising charms etc that I have found to preserve a connection. This area is heavily influenced by Druidical thought, so I'm sure that this is in the mix somewhere, Basically I do my own thing and to hell with anyone else! Yay!

Greetings W.M

Lastly, I draw "inspiration" from investigations of local cunning figures and gwyddon(witches), utilising charms etc that I have found to preserve a connection. This area is heavily influenced by Druidical thought, so I'm sure that this is in the mix somewhere, Basically I do my own thing and to hell with anyone else! Yay!

Hell yes! ... after all let us not forget that all "it's been set as this way for generations" simply means what it says and that the originators of each line were doing the do exactly this way. *Shrugs*

A funny thought ... is it just me that occasionally gets "the fear" thinking that somewhere down the track in a hundred years or so there could conceivably be a conversation where someone says: "No ... the (insert your last name here) line - which is a Traditional Witch line unbroken for generations - says it MUST be done this way instead!"

!??!?!??!?! Brrr .... gives me the horrors ... I wonder if any of our past originators felt the same way!? LOL

Fraternally

Scott

I like to mix-it up a bit...I know my mother had her way of doing things...I do my thing similar yet with my own style and my girls...well...they are a sweet and slightly off mixture of my mothers ways and my own ways...also a otuch of whatever they feel prompted to use at that moment LOL :)

Hi everyone, now this did get me thinking and I am still not sure! Yes Shamanism is certainly in there and I will always have a strong incliing towards Mother Nature, I have studied and lived with her for so long. I suppose Celtic and Anglo Saxon are as well, I have always been fascinated by history and I suppose I also feel drawn to them because the area where I live has been a stronghold to both cultures. So I suppose I try and work with a mix of all these things, it may not seem right to some people but it feels right to me and that is the most important thing to me, I am sure that people through the ages have adapted various things and used them if they found need to, its evolution isnt it?

Yes in Honesty I am not sure of one specific path at the moment, I am not certain what I am but hey at least I am certainly finding out what I am not!! It seems to be working well enough at the moment and at the end of the day it is me who has to be comfortable with it nobody else!:)

Great question! (Hi, BTW... new here... name's Cairelle)

I lived with my grandmother as a child, and she mainly dealt with candles and charms, with a smattering of energy work and herbal magic. There was a very Catholic/Voudou influence to her path, as is the case with many of the older witchy sorts here in New Orleans. She also was a card and aura reader. She was a great teacher to me, and I'm still so sad that she's gone. :(

Anyway... my path... well, in addition to my grandmother's influences, my own research and reading, and love of plants, led me to herbalism and aromatherapy. I am an RN so the healing aspect of things has always held my attention the most. I am very much into energy work right now. Candles have always been a huge part of my life as well and I also rely on a lot of talismans and charms. I am very symbolic by nature. I love the earth and love to garden, and I'm currently working on an herbal garden/private outdoor "practice" area in my backyard. :)

As far as deities go... well, that's always been tricky for me. I believe there is a duality to it that's necessary for balance (male/female, light/dark), there's energy, but I have struggled with a "name" for it... I'm not sure why I feel like I have to have a name for the powers that be, lol... just a human trait I guess.

I have delved into God/Goddess reading for quite a while, trying again to search for the one that "speaks" to me... and none have yet (well, I do so love Dymphna, Patroness of the Mentally Ill, HA! but that's a Catholic thing - influence of my great city I guess, lol... but I digress)... I believe there's an energy force higher than myself... that we're surrounded by the energies of those that have come and gone before us, along with the energy of the earth, moon, sun, and universe... and that energy can be manipulated with practice.

So basically I'm learning still, but super happy with where I am with my practice in my life. I'm very much an earthy, energy, herbal witch sort. My own witchlets, two daughters, they're 21 and 18, are forging their own paths as well, with assistance and opinions from me. I tell them there's no right or wrong way to celebrate themselves and live their lives, as long as it has meaning to them, and I guess that's what it's all about anyway, right? :D

welcome Kitchenwitch!!! I also have 2 daughters (21 & 18) who are heading down their own spritual path. I raised them as witches so they are content with that. I too love herbalism and work alot with plants. crystals, energy. Your grnadmother sounded wonderful and Im sure you can still feel her guidance around you. Again...welcome to our site...please make yourself at home :)

• 10 months later...

The techniques I have used come from Irish, British, Heathen and folkloric sources, whilst my spiritual leanings have moved from heathen to Irish/celtic.

Guest Renegade

I'm not entirely sure what I take from. I do read a lot on mythology from all over, but I don't tend to use that unless I dream about it. I then go back into my dream and "play along" and see where it leads.

I do use candles, and botanicals (though so far I've not pushed myself into buying any from Pagan Suppliers. Saying that, it doesn't stop me window shopping!)

I can usually find solutions to fit, and keep it as simple as I can. I'm big on the repetitive chanting, because I haven't got much in the way of bulk spare time.

If I do get some time on my own, I'll occasionally pull a "Penny Crayon" (showing my age now) like I used to as a child, and draw something "into reality" so to speak. As a child, this was particularly helpful if I had been sent to bed without food. (Draw some cakes, visualise the after effects of scoffing them down, go to sleep and hay presto! You wake up full, and you leave your Mother completely baffled as to why you haven't learnt your lesson! She would then cave in and "surprise" me with the cakes I had drawn!)

I don't draw from any outside sources. I just do my own thing, and when I later find out that other people do something similar, I think "oh, that's what it's called." :) I've read about shamanism, chaos magic, Wicca, traditional witchcraft, druidry, paganism, etc in hopes that I could find a label that fits, but I really don't care so much about labels anymore.

My magical techniques have a passing similarity to shamanistic ecstasy and chaos gnosis. My spirituality is pantheistic and has some similarities to modern druidry. I work with nature spirits and my ancestors which is common to traditional witches. My magical philosophies are based on Will, something that I've believed long before I ever heard of Aleister Crowley. I also find some similarities in Luciferianism and other Self based philosophy.

Unlike most traddies, I don't practice folk magic, and I'm really quite weak when it comes to mythology. I prefer experimental magic, developing my own techniques and practicing empty handed, without tools, rhymes, or ritual. I suppose I'm kind of a chaos witch at heart. ;)

Guest Renegade

I'm all for experimental! You can use anything you like to create a magical effect, but a lot of information on what people choose to use and the reasons why they use it in the way they do, tends to stay secret for fear of upsetting Wiccan "ethics".

I'm pretty sure that there must have been a use for egg shells, "cuckoo spit", and insects in western magic, for example, but I've only been able to find information as regards african heritage magic. I find this odd, as most cultures tend to have correspondances with each other.

I'm pretty sure that there must have been a use for egg shells, "cuckoo spit", and insects in western magic, for example, but I've only been able to find information as regards african heritage magic. I find this odd, as most cultures tend to have correspondances with each other.

Renegade, I have seen references to egg shells in magic before, but I cannot, off the top of my head, remember where. I think it was in old country practices, so it might be localised knowledge. The only thing I can recommend is checking folklore journals or forums and seeing what response you get. I have heard of cuckoo spit, but not in reference to magic. As to insects, I have heard of using spiders to find lost objects (Scots practice) and I have a vague memory of bees for something, too. I can try and check my files over the solstice period, if I have time.

Guest Renegade

Thank you! I've asked Wiccans about cuckoo spit before, but they get the wrong end of the stick, and say its a secret title for a plant. Bollocks! It isn't! It's the slimy bubbly stuff you get on plants in the spring that has had insect larvae in it! Its in such abundance in Shropshire, I thought it crazy that no-one has thought to take advantage!

• 1 month later...
I'm pretty sure that there must have been a use for egg shells, "cuckoo spit", but I've only been able to find information as regards african heritage magic.

Renegade,

Just to check, by "cuckoo spit" are you referring to the plant, frog spawn, the insect (Philaenus spumarius) or something else altogether? Its just that whilst sitting in a shop, I was scanning a book, "Herbcraft: A Guide to the Shamanic and Ritual Use of Herbs" by Anna Franklin, Susan Lavender, and Paul Mason" which mentioned a plant "Cuckoo Spit" and had references to the folklore, etc. The book is printed in the UK, and the authors are based there, so I presume the folklore relates to that area. It may be what you seek.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to *BUMP* this fab topic and its posts(i dont think i was online when it was posted)

I mix it up big time, and im sure traditional witches in the past would have if they had the resources.

I have a mixture of Trad witchcraft/ English and European folklore/ Hedgewytchery(not the solatary wiccan bullshit that has taken over the name in recent years)

/ hoodoo which took me into voudoun and other diasporic (sp) beliefs (very new and very calling thing that keeps nudging me)

I just thought to bump it for all of the new members.

Archived