First and Last Book Purchased About Wicca or Witchcraft

Guest Wealhtheow

Guest Wealhtheow

Hello folks!

I apologize if this topic is a duplicate - I did run a search and it doesn't appear to have been discussed yet.

What is the first and last book you bought about Witchcraft or Wicca? (I include Wicca here because several of us embarked on that path first and most books published about witchcraft are really more specifically about Wicca in its various forms)

My first purchase was The Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrar. I think I bought it when I was fifteen. It seemed the most "legit" book on the shelf to me at the time.

My last purchase was The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft by Judika Illes. I purchased this some time this summer. I bought it because it seemed to have a lot of interesting information on a wide variety of subjects.

Looking forward to your responses. It's always interesting to remember how we got started and look at how our "tastes" have changed over time.

Wealhtheow

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first book was 'The Magus A complete system of Occult philosophy', I read half way through and thought magic cannot be this complicated!! I think I didn't choose well for a first book!

As for the latest one.... Mastering Herbalism... can't wait to start reading it!

Lusete )o(

My first book was bought for me - Farrar 'Spells and how they Work' and the last book I bought (well actually I bought two) were 'Triumph of the Moon' by Hutton and 'Witching Way' by Artisson.

'Triumph' was a bit heavy going, but got rid of a lot of 'mis-information' which was a blessing. 'Witching Way' is a very interesting read.

:)

Edited by owlblink
oops typo!

If I remember right, The Littlest Witch, by Jeanne Massey, was my first book about witches. I got it at a RIF Meet (Reading Is Fundamental) in grade school in the late 70's.

My latest purchase is Ogam: Celtic Oracle of the Trees, by Paul Rhys Mountfort, which I haven't gotten very far into yet. In fact, I can't seem to find it right now. Ah, well... it'll come back when it's good and ready.

I can't remember the first one I bought, but the first one I read was Lois Bournes "a witch amongst us."

The last one I bought was the Witches Almanac, not the Llewellyn one, the one I did a thread on recently.

Edited by Deb13b

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't a clue it's so long ago.....I remember reading The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates when I was pregnant with my son in 1983, and enjoying it a lot. I have a country witches almanac which was given to me when I was sixteen....it's a handwritten book and it's very battered and worn but probably my most precious. Lately...not a lot...

My first ever book bought was The complete guide to witchcraft by raymond buckland, to which i believe it was thrown out or lost in the sea of crap that is my basement.

The last book i bought was Witchcraft: out of the shadows a complete history by leo ruickbie, which so far is ok i bought it for a paper im doing (thus far its been interesting and my professor also has had wonderfuly funny things to lash wicca about:thinking:) I also bought a few for reference this past semester including the encyclopedia of natural magic by john michael greer for reference. Only had a chance to glimpse at it, so far its alright just for basic reference.:stirring:

The first book I read was Phyllis Currott's Witchcrafting (I had a thing for reading advanced wicca books rather than basic ones).

Most recently, I have been enjoying The Other Side of Virtue, its a book about Ethics as they apply to pagans (don't fret there is no harm none crap in there).

• 1 year later...

First:

Teresa Moorey: Witchcraft - a Beginner's Guide (I think it was ?1 at a charity shop... and not too bad for a first book)

Last:

Christopher Penczak - The Inner Temple of Witchcraft (still halfway through reading it, the guy seems to have a good head on his shoulders)

First: The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows by Dorothy Morrison. (This was when I was really curious about witchcraft for the first time but all I could find was Wicca, so I'd figure I'd buy a beginners book. )

Last: LLewllyn's Witch's Spell-A-Day Almanac ( These books are so damn fluffy. But it did have some good bits on the history of some holidays and what-not.)

Oh, forgot to mention, these are the first and last books I've bought about WICCA, not witchcraft.

Edited by Black-Cat

My first book was that classic little pink Dell Purse Book, "Everyday Witchcraft" by Delphine C. Lyons.

I just got it back, actually, after lending it to someone. She had it for 6 years, I thought I'd never see it again! Great little book, IMO, and not wiccan.

As to the latest book? Eep.. I have so many, I'm not sure..

I have to run upstairs and look ....

Okay, it was "Earth, Air, Wind, Fire" by Scott Cunningham. I don't go for wiccan books but Cunningham usually writes fairly neutral in that regard. Any wiccan influence in his books is easily weeded out. I liked the natural magic approach.

The other books I've bought recently are on Astrology, "Magical Alphabets", "Signs & Symbols" - a lot of reference or divinatory type stuff.

Being that I have a 40% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket, I was planning on running to Borders Books tonight and getting another new tome. I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I'm in a book store!

Leigh, I don't know about Paul Rhys Mountfort's Ogham book, but his "Nordic Runes" book was excellent, if you're into runes.

My first book that I bought. Wow, that is a tough one, trying to remember back 30+ years for that. The earliest one I can remember was a book titled "The Secret Teachings of the Temple of Isis" or something like that.

My most recent, Raymond Bucklands "Complete Book of Witchcraft". I know what your going to say, but I have owned this before and found some of the things in it to be helpful. Plus I have a student now and I bought it more for her than myself.

• 1 month later...

The First book i had was given to me by a friend it was Wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner by Cunningham. ( i keep it around for sentimental value, I miss my friend)

The last books I bought (at least from amazon, its possible I have bought others else where since then).

The secrets of voodoo by Milo Rigaud

Tell My horse Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica by Nora Zeale Hurston

First one I read was my Uncles 'Witchcraft: magic and the supernatural when I was 15 or so when I knew I was a witch. I bought this again off Ebay 20 years later, what a treat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3097[/ATTACH]

The last book was a second hand Marks and Spencers 'The Herb ook by Ladt Arabella Boxer and Phillipa Back (BUY IT!!!), growing, harvesting, cooking, medicinal uses and beauty. (all of witch I consider part of my witchcraft) Proper 1970 cuisine, Quails in tarragon aspic on a bed of saffron risotto, anyone??? Fab stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3098[/ATTACH]

3097_thumb.attach

3098_thumb.attach

Oooh, spinney, I want that herb book! My Mom had it at some point- it's awesome and I had forgotten about it, so thank-you!

My last book purchased: Cunning Folk: Popular magic in English History by Owen Davies.

My first book (in highschool): A book about the history of witchcraft in England, actually. Even back then Wicca didn't appeal. :)

Oooh, spinney, I want that herb book! My Mom had it at some point- it's awesome and I had forgotten about it, so thank-you!
Im sure they have it on Amazon some a re going for a few dollars and some at $50.00 or more so get in there quick :)