Melting marshmallows and the universe.

Grimalkin

Ok....I'm standing at the window watching the sunset and stirring my hot cocoa, wondering what ritual I will do this coming new moon, when a profound question hits me. Which is better, Nestle or Swiss Miss? Or is home made the most magickal chocolate?

How strange that you should bring this up - last night we watched Chocolat (again :wickedwitch:) and afterwards I was inspired to go searching for Mexican/Mayan Hot chocolate recipes with added chili pepper. I'm determined to make some over the Christmas holidays... I've never made homemade hot chocolate before.. always from a tin usually, with a big dollop of cream on top and some chocolate shavings.

Never heard of Swiss Miss though, Grimalkin..

Geez, what deep thoughts!

I got spoiled by an Italian friend several years ago that makes homemade hot chocolate - with real Swiss chocolate. Since then my outlook has changed dramatically. However, for the instant variety, I can still stomach Nestle's, as long as its made with milk, not water. (I think Swiss Miss is only sold on this side of the pond.)

My daughters tell me that instant hot chocolate with full fat milk is the best... personally I wouldn't know as I hate chocolate myself. :)

And don't forget the marshmallows! :naughty:

Lusete )o(

My Favorite hot chocolate is a melted snickers candy bar in hot milk topped with mini marshmallows.

Simple but delicious. lol

Sapphire

My Favorite hot chocolate is a melted snickers candy bar in hot milk topped with mini marshmallows.

Sapphire

damn! I am SO off to try that...YUM!!

I just received some drinking chocolate from Lake Champlain Chocolate (a local brand). One type is shaved chocolate; the other is cocoa with some chile. I can't wait to try some tomorrow. Otherwise, I opt for homemade but no marshmallows.

I thought this was about melting the universe?.......Oh well......I like Hershey's Goodnight Hugs with a shot of Bailey's in it.....If I'm feeling indulgent, I'll go to a coffee shop and get a cup of drinking chocolate...

oh my god the best hot choc I have ever had is def the starbucks signature hot chocolate!! I think its made with real belgian chocolate? It is MMMMMmmmmmmm! a close second is pret a mangers......I'm a bit of a chocaholic - cant function without my daily fix lol.

x

Sapphire

oh I am sooooo gonna have to try this! lol.

x

Guest Landieth

Sapphire

That sounds delicious.. :mouth waters: I'm with you, Winter, I'm trying this!!

I would think that home made is the best, but for instant I go for Nestle's Abuelita which is a Mexican chocolate with cinnamon. You only use a quarter of a tablet with 4 cups of hot milk and you crush it in a blender.. mmm good

Speaking of marshmellows, does anybody remember that scene in the Simpsons where Bart's marshmellow soaks up all his hot chocolate? :rofl:

I'm afraid I go the instant route myself. Just never thought about making it from scratch, though I can't see that it would be that hard. I just get a taste for it someimtes and have to have it there and then, so instant is the go. I've tried Alpen Blend, but I prefer Cadbury's myself.

• 4 years later...

I love hot chocolate and since its almost fall I figure this threads due for a bump.

I personally prefer homemade hot chocolate with ghirardellies brand cocoa powder then I mix in whatever I'm in the mood for. I did find this one brand of mix I really like at Costco last year my kids drink it like its going to be outlawed.

465bafbe9795374226f6aaad36ab58ec_zps3460

Saw 'Chocolat' for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I've been hot chocolate mad.

1 - 2 tbsp cocoa powder. Add a few drops of water, stir, then leave for a minute or two. Add a little less than a quarter tsp cayenne, dash of chilli, quarter tsp cinnamon powder and a tiny amount of ground ginger if you're daring (I tipped half tsp into mine and it was inedible). Stir, maybe add a little more water so it's a paste, then leave for around a minute. Add a bit of milk, stir, then fill up the mug and blast in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Add a bit of honey while hot and you have a pretty spicy sort of mayan hot chocolate :D I'd use your own judgement with quantity, I'm all trial and error in the kitchen, but when it's right it's lovely and fairly guilt free !

It's still in the 90*s here but I'm looking forward to cooler temps and hot chocolate.

A friend of mine grinds up candy canes in her food processor and adds the powder to damn near everything in the winter.

Athena - I LOVE the ghirardelli cocoa!  It's my fav!  (I can't spell it but I love it!)

Archived