What's in a name?

Singing Bird

I know some of us use our real names for this forum but it seems that most people here use a pseudonym (or a craft name?). I'm just interested (call me nosey if you like!) in why or how you all chose your forum names.

I'll start off - I'm very fond of the Welsh legends and for quite a while felt a connection with Rhiannon. As some of you may know, Rhiannon is sometimes surrounded by her singing birds. I also sing and am very fond of birds so that's how I came up with my name!

So, how did you choose yours?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for me my real name is Rhiannon (so singing bird i do get the connection) and usually on other witchy sites there are like a million rhiannon's or variations of so i just went looking on different websites for names and mythology etc and came up with a hybrid name Nyx is ancient greek for night and iah means moon in ancient egyptian so my name means 'night moon' it's quirky but i like it and no one else i have ever seen has this name so it's all the more individual :D

Mine is not a craft name, it comes from birds being good friends and important messengers. When I'm out and about alone in wild places (and even not so wild places) I listen for their song to alert me, to let me know when I've just become another creature poking around to them. Sounds are like shapes and so is watching them for portents or just being aware of their presence in the scheme of things...you learn to read them. Knowing the shape(s) of birds is something dear to me so I took it as a name.

I chose Amber because I like the name; the sound of it as the word is spoken, I wear it A LOT and I feel a connection to it in some way.

One of my dogs is called Amber ... because she is the beautiful auburn red colour of amber...and her eyes remind me of it too.

1485_thumb.attach

Lurchers hunt bunnies.

I have a 'craft' name from my Wiccan past but that is mine and those I have been in circle with.

My own name is Brian which has special significance in this area as Brian Boru was the last (and only?) High King (Ard Ri) of all Ireland. His centre of operation was at Cashel, just a way up the road.

hehe ... I have always been obsessed by owls, and i love the name owlblink. Its not a witchy name or anything, I just use it for forums. I know means curse (or so robin artisson says) but im not a curse, i promise! :p

Lurchers hunt bunnies.

Addams Family Style? :)

My screen name is from being asked for a login on the spot for a computer system. As the only lib arts person in a group of engineers, they already called me "the Philosopher". The ID stuck.

I have two other names: my birth name from my great-grandmother, which I Americanized when I was married and took my husband's surname; and a nickname that only a few close friends know and call me. I consider both my un-Americanized name and my nickname my "true" names, but they speak to my different halves.

Tana is for many reasons. She is the Moon Goddess in Aradia: Gospel of the Witches. Leland says of her: "Tana was a very beautiful girl, but extremely poor, and as modest and pure as she was beautiful and humble." That makes me laugh as I am the opposite in all aspects of that description! The name Tana is also very similar to my name, just change 2 consonants. The Streghe view her as Goddess of the stars and I like that association as well. I have used it as an online name for ever, its simple yet elegant. (Again not like me LOL) :crazy:

I like to honour my ancestors and my beliefs might be considered to fall under the label of celtic (for the lack of a better definition) - it a screen name, of which I have a few. ;)

I know some of us use our real names for this forum but it seems that most people here use a pseudonym (or a craft name?). I'm just interested (call me nosey if you like!) in why or how you all chose your forum names.

I'll start off - I'm very fond of the Welsh legends and for quite a while felt a connection with Rhiannon. As some of you may know, Rhiannon is sometimes surrounded by her singing birds. I also sing and am very fond of birds so that's how I came up with my name!

So, how did you choose yours?

Well mine was given to me. One of my familiars is the wolf and Anjel is because of my spirituality.

I must admit-I have wondered about everyones names to. As for myself-I always liked the little old witchy-she reminds me of wisdom and knowledge and all that I wish to become

Well for me my real name is Rhiannon (so singing bird i do get the connection) and usually on other witchy sites there are like a million rhiannon's or variations of so i just went looking on different websites for names and mythology etc and came up with a hybrid name Nyx is ancient greek for night and iah means moon in ancient egyptian so my name means 'night moon' it's quirky but i like it and no one else i have ever seen has this name so it's all the more individual :D

Very cool-for your real name to! But I just thought you would like to know the modern day greek meaning of your name also. Nixi means nail-and nyxiah or nixia means scratches made by finger nails. I think both meanings of your name, modern and ancient, are pretty interesting. :)

I'm using an Olde Englishe variant spelling of my mother's maiden name.

I figure I'm as much my mom's descendant as my dad's, so why not, right? ..and I like her surname better anyway. I think it sounds cool, and kind of dark.

My regular surname is too damn long and awkward, though I share it with a pair of semi-famous pagan authors (who are of no relation); I still prefer the name I use here.

I did some genealogical/etymological research on it by the way, and it actually means "Odin's wall" - due to a structure near Nottingham. (I used to think it meant a grave - a "grim ditch", heh)

I have GOT to get over and visit England one of these years.

I am the idiot who just used bits of my own name and am regretting it very much because I can think of much more interesting and imaginative names to call myself! That will teach me to look more closely in future, if I had I would have noticed what cool names you all had before signing up with my boring one! On the positive side, only people I am very close to get to call me Rosie, to others I am Rosemary or Rose.

I have always love the tales of King Arthur and Morgain LeFey since my mum started telling me the stories. I associate with Morgain in being a little misunderstood so I took up Morgana, which is another name Morgain has been called.

Real name is Debbe and have many friends by the same name so over the years most people just call me D. :bored:

Lu - Lucy

Se - first 2 letters of my 1st surname

Te - first 2 letters of my 2nd surname

I made this up when I was about 10 years old and I use it for almost everything... facebook and devaintart and all my artwork too...

Lusete )o(

KitchenWitch is one of a few of my screen names - I have chosen them dependent on mood and life situation - and I chose this particular one about 6 years ago. It fit me at the time and has kinda just stuck with me and is what I tend to use online with witch-related stuff.

My first name is Kim and my family and coworkers call me that. Cairelle comes from my middle name and that's how I'm known in the "witchy" community around New Orleans and with my witchy friends. Some witchy friends are also family friends and they call me both, depending on where we are, LOL. I also write, and when I eventually do get published :D it will be under Kim Carielle P______ <---(married last name) OR the name Susanna Kim (a combo of my mom's and my name) - I haven't decided.

Names fascinate me - always have. :D

I posted at work and had to hurry cuz the boss was wandering around. I just want to add that my middle name is also Leigh (there's 2 of us!!)

Full name in case any one actually cares is Deborah Leigh .

Ok, I'm done!!!! :nana:

Archived