Lazy Food

phiguru

Any suggestions for things to cook that turn out nice but require very little work? I'm thinking little prep, crock pot, or some other non-labour-intensive style. There are only so many nights in a week that my family will tolerate soup/stew. So I'm always looking for ways to get interesting food on the table quickly and am happy to trade. (Says the woman who just spent 2 hours making Chinese dumplings for the freezer, oi.)

I'll offer one to start:

Decadent Chocolate Delight

courtesy of the Ladies of the Southern Baptist Convention

Mistresses of the pudding mix

1 package chocolate cake mix

1 (4 serving) pkg. chocolate flavor instant pudding & pie filling mix.

8 oz. sour cream

1 cup water

4 eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup chocolate chips (or more, we usually use a lot more)

Combine all ingredients, in the order listed, in large bowl.

Pour into lightly greased slow cooker; cover & cook on Low 6 to 8 hours or on High 3 to 4 hours.

OR

Pour into 11 x 13 inch greased pan; bake uncovered at 325-degrees for ~30 minutes (until the sides pull away from the pan).

Serve hot or warm with ice cream. (I like to serve it with blueberry or peach ice cream or simply topped with fruit.)

Serves 12.

Chicken or Turkey BBQ

We did this with all our leftover turkey but you could use chicken too.

Just throw some turkey or chicken into a crock pot or pot on the stove, add some turkey/chicken shreaded (our turkey was already cooked so this goes really fast if its precooked but if its not thats ok too as long as its defrosted) put 1-2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup, 1/2 to 1 can of water, dash of pepper and cook until done. Put on a hamburger bun and eat :)

or another favorite at our house is BBQ Chicken and Rice

Just defrost some chicken, put it in a baking pan pour one bottle of BBQ sauce of your choice over the chicken. Then fill that bottle up with water and add that. Cover with foil and stick it in the oven on 350-400F for 40 minutes. You could also do this early and slow cook it all day on a lower setting. We have a rice maker but if you don't have one mintue rice works well too. Then just put the rice on the plate and put your chicken on top and drizzle with the BBQ sauce.

Gotta be stir fired noodles!!

Heat a table spoon of sesame oil in a wok and put some water on to boil.

Throw in a bit of chicken, or whatever meat leftovers you happen to have {roast pork works very nicely}

Peas, baby sweetcorn, peppers, mushrooms etc {if you're very lazy use the pre-sliced frozen stuff}

Take the water off the boil and put some fat noodles in to soak for a couple of minutes.

add a stock cube to the fried veg etc with a bit of water. {couple of tablespoons}

pour in some sweet chilli and garlic sauce, a glob of runny honey and some chinese red vinegar , add about a tablespoon of oyster sauce and the drained noodles.

stir well and cook for a few more minutes then serve.

I know written down that sounds like a lot of work but it flies by very quickly and I haven't put measurements in because I tend to do it according to taste.

The ultimate posh dessert.

If you've been making flavoured liquers {if not, why???} then when it comes time to drain the fruit out keep it to one side.

Put it in a bowl with a genorous spoon of greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey and cinnamon..eat!

• 1 year later...

Gotta be stir fired noodles!!

Heat a table spoon of sesame oil in a wok and put some water on to boil.

Throw in a bit of chicken, or whatever meat leftovers you happen to have {roast pork works very nicely}

Peas, baby sweetcorn, peppers, mushrooms etc {if you're very lazy use the pre-sliced frozen stuff}

Take the water off the boil and put some fat noodles in to soak for a couple of minutes.

add a stock cube to the fried veg etc with a bit of water. {couple of tablespoons}

pour in some sweet chilli and garlic sauce, a glob of runny honey and some chinese red vinegar , add about a tablespoon of oyster sauce and the drained noodles.

stir well and cook for a few more minutes then serve.

I know written down that sounds like a lot of work but it flies by very quickly and I haven't put measurements in because I tend to do it according to taste.

The ultimate posh dessert.

If you've been making flavoured liquers {if not, why???} then when it comes time to drain the fruit out keep it to one side.

Put it in a bowl with a genorous spoon of greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey and cinnamon..eat!

that sounds absolutely lovely and i will definitely be giving that a try soap fairy i hope it tastes as good as it sounds by the time i finished butchering it lol crossfingers.gif

Sausage and Bow Tie Bash

1 can Healthy Choice Recipe Creations Tomato with Garden Herbs Condensed Soup (Campbells has one similar too)

½ C. Milk

½ C. Onion, diced

½ C. Green Bell Pepper, diced

2 Cloves Garlic

½ C. Fresh Mushrooms, sliced

½ t. Salt

1 package Smoked Sausage

4 C Bow Tie Pasta, cooked

In small bowl; combine soup and milk; mix well. Set aside. In large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, sauté’ onions, pepper and garlic until tender. Add mushrooms and salt; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add sausage and soup mixture; mix well. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 minutes longer. Add pasta and toss.

Archived