The Secret (Law of Attraction)

Guest Dreamwalker

Guest Dreamwalker

Has anyone read/seen this book/movie? Oprah did a show about it, so I hear, and I heard of it from my cousins. Its supposedly this amazing phenomena of the law of attraction, that whatever you're thinking is what is drawn to you... and I watch this movie and I'm going...DUH... thought manifests into reality... this isn't a secret...

Anyone actually read the book or seen the whole movie or have any thoughts? I couldn't decide how i felt about it.

Has anyone read/seen this book/movie? Oprah did a show about it, so I hear, and I heard of it from my cousins. Its supposedly this amazing phenomena of the law of attraction, that whatever you're thinking is what is drawn to you... and I watch this movie and I'm going...DUH... thought manifests into reality... this isn't a secret...

Anyone actually read the book or seen the whole movie or have any thoughts? I couldn't decide how i felt about it.

Too much hype...not enough common sense.

Hidden

Ok, you did ask....

:razz::razz::razz:

New Age bunch of mumbo jumbo bullshit. IMHO of course:twisted_witch:!

I may have mentioned this in another thread somewhere but...There was a skit on Saturday Night Live about "The Secret". It was set in Ethiopia or somewhere like that. Everyone was starving, bloated and miserable and they were blaming this one poor dude for all of their misfortune because he wasnt having "positive thoughts".

It was freaking hilarious!

I do totally get the principles behind the "secret" - being that if you want something and you picture it in your mind clear enough and see yourself really having it then the universe will make it so for you. But isnt that just spell casting in the most simple form??? I do it all the time! lol. so I dont believe the big hype surrounding it like it is some great new thing that no one knew about before now. Its just now that someone has decided to write a book about it and make it into this big "wow!" thing that people are more open to to take notice, esp at a time where there is so much financial struggle in the world.

The main thing I didnt like about it is the way it portrays the universe as this never ending money pit. To me that would just breed greed. One of the things it said was "spend your money without any worries and the universe will provide more money for you" WHAT?! That could explain why half of the world is in the debt its in now! lol.

I'm all for wanting the best for myself but I dont think its right to take take take like the book suggests is ok to do. Thats just my criticism of it. x

Not seen anything about this but it does sound like simple spellcasting. I doubt that a DVD or even a book could teach anyone that special feeling that tells you the difference between a random, or even a dedicated, thought and working a spell. No doubt this will be taken seriously whereas our ways will always be just mumbo-jumbo.

Brian

I have the book and have read it. I thought there were parts that were pretty interesting but a lot of it was rather simplistic in thinking. when i saw the SNL skit on the topic I about rolled off the couch laughing. A friend of mine took the whole book quite seriously and was at a loss to explain to me why certain bad things happen to people that absolutely did NOT bring it upon themself.

Read the book - a xtian friend of mine wanted to discuss it. If you can get past the new age hype, it's talking about the power of intention with focused thought. Funny thing - it's simply a new age redux of Norman Vincent Peale's "The Power of Positive Thinking". Take out all the God & Jesus BS and you've got "The Secret".

I DID have a problem with "spend money like water - it'll all come to you".

Guest Dreamwalker
Hidden

Interesting, so some of you think its total BS and some of you think its a simple xtian/mainstream targeted method of introducing simple spellcasting *shudders at the thought*... Must check out the snl skit! sounds awesome.

to be honest I have problems with it, I found it simplistic and giving people too easy a get out clause if they get into problems {oh I just wasn't positive enough etc} rather than looking at the practical {I'm in finacial trouble because I spent all my money on dross}

Far to simillar to cosmic ordering and frankly if you want an excuse to be put off that , Noel Edmunds is a major advocate {for americans, hes a beardy wierdy who used to hang around with a snot coloured spotty creation called Mr Blobby who appeared to have mad cow disease..:vomit:}

Hidden
Interesting, so some of you think its total BS and some of you think its a simple xtian/mainstream targeted method of introducing simple spellcasting *shudders at the thought*... Must check out the snl skit! sounds awesome.

Well now, this brings up an intersting point..."xtian spellcasting". Mind you, I was raised as a fund. xtian and also raised my family as such before I got over it so to speak. Looking back, I can see that there are lots of instances of xtian spellcasting that I heard of in my church. First of all, there was the bibliomancy...just open the bible to a random page, pick a passage and it is your message of the day. Then there was the time the preacher had each person take a rock from the boxes at the doors to the sanctuary. During the sermon he asked us to think of whatever we wanted to be rid of in our life and project that into the rock and throw it away. Then there are the current trends for making prayer shawls and prayer quilts....say a prayer and good thoughts for the intended recipient and they shall be covered with blessings. Then of course is the candle burning to help focus in prayer. Oh, oh...not in my church but in another one in the area...the burning bowl ceremony, write a problem on a paper and put it in the fire to send it away. Those are just a few examples of real basic spellcasting turned into a xtian ceremony. Of course, never tell a fund. xtian they are spellcasting *shudder*. :)

Read the book - a xtian friend of mine wanted to discuss it. If you can get past the new age hype, it's talking about the power of intention with focused thought. Funny thing - it's simply a new age redux of Norman Vincent Peale's "The Power of Positive Thinking". Take out all the God & Jesus BS and you've got "The Secret".

I DID have a problem with "spend money like water - it'll all come to you".

Wow I am out of touch! I haven't heard of it or seen anything on it. But from everyones' discussion of it, it sounds like a watered down version of Max Freedom Long's The Secret Science Behind Miracles - 1948 or maybe his The Secret Science at Work - The Huna Method As a Way of Life - 1953, which is all no more than the Hawaiian philosophy of a way of life back when the Kahuna's were around, which (their philosophy) can be used today. I too would have a problem with "spend money like water", because it hasn't made it self come back to me yet! LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Please take the time to read the full review at Amazon. I guarantee it will warm your heart. :cry:

Please allow me to share with you how "The Secret" changed my life and in a very real and substantive way allowed me to overcome a severe crisis in my personal life. It is well known that the premise of "The Secret" is the science of attracting the things in life that you desire and need and in removing from your life those things that you don't want. Before finding this book, I knew nothing of these principles, the process of positive visualization, and had actually engaged in reckless behaviors to the point of endangering my own life and wellbeing.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2X2TB3S4O5I60 :thumbsup:

Wanted to say, i own the movie and the book as well as several others, it was the only book/idea that got me out of my bought with depression last year, dont agree with everything but its helped me to be more positive about my life.

Have the book. Read it. The philosophy of Law of attraction is more complicated than they make out. What you send out will come to you, like attracting like, sure. What they don't go on to explain is subconscious thoughts have more power than conscious ones, so you can send out all the thoughts you want to attract money/sex/fame into your life, but if you deep down don't feel you deserve it, it aint gonna come.

Not that law of attraction is the answer to everything in life, but within that philosophy, there's more at work than simply "clicking your heels three times and saying there's no place like home"

• 2 years later...

I'm actually reading it right now. After the first few pages I kept thinking this was an introductory book to spellcasting! Think about the outcome you want, focus your intention, and send it out to the universe. Simple spellcasting - I remember doing things like that when I was a kid!