36 replies to this topic

#21 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

There is indeed a section where he suggests you recite the lord's prayer backwards, while allowing a candle to burn out, in 3 nights succession.
While the reason he cites for doing it is to "de-condition" you and shake off "old bonds", even I found it a little bit anti-christian. I just don't see that as necessary, really, and would it even mean anything to someone other than a christian anyway? I think I did it one night - maybe - I can't quite remember. I know I didn't do the whole thing.

I remember being annoyed by this when I read Mastering Witchcraft. It seemed to me that he was defining Witchcraft by what it isn't rather than what it is. I dislike the idea of defining either my craft or my faith as "not Christian." Christianity plays no part in my path and I found its prominent place in a book on Witchcraft both irrelevant and a cheap attempt at crowd pleasing.

To be honest I thought this book leaned more toward New Age/Wicca than Trad Craft. Not a book I particularly enjoyed though it does summarise the basics well and for that reason I'd recommend to beginners.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#22 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

I have a hard time finding books on Witchcraft that isn't wicca oriented. It's like they have a monoply on books too any more.

#23 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:50 AM

Is there any particular type of book you're looking for, hawk? There is another thread that covers write a few books.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#24 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Something that has some ways to better construct incantations and such.

#25 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

I really can't think of anything along those lines. Incantations, for the most part, should be personal.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

#26 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

But if you're just looking for non-Wicca books, I'm a fan of the newly-late Peter Pardon, Robin Artisson, and Robert Cochrane.

Edited by Evergreen47, 26 October 2014 - 05:27 PM.

-=Frank Herbert=-

#27 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

Thank you have to check them out.

#28 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:49 AM

Hi, guys!
I'm reading a book that I would recommend. It's Thomas Karlsson: " Qabalah, Qlipoth and Goetic Magick".
Even if you are not into Qabalah and Goetia, this book makes very good arguments for the primalcy of the darkness, chaos and (methaphysical) evil. Darkness and void are the foundation of everything else in existence. Light and order came later. Karlsson is the founder of Dragon Rouge order. (You can download the book in pdf)

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#29 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

I have to recommend another book 'cause it's that good. " The Chaos Protocols" by Gordon White. It explains very well the probability of Magick and has very practical approach to Magick for everyday life. It talks about the Initiation rites, psychodelics, and... economy! I'm not a chaos magicians, but this book speaks to me on so many levels. It's a very good read for ever magician, be it a witch or a ceremonial magician.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#30 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

I don't think it matters if you read some wiccan books, to understand where the craft is now we need to understand where it came from and who created which particular off-shoots. To understand exactly who practices what helps me plan my journey through the Craft better. Knowledge is power so to speak. Some of the reading on my list - Cunning-Folk & Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft by Emma Wilby.

Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy by Mircea Eliade.

Hoodoo, Herb and Root Magic by Cat Yronwode

A Century of Spells by Draja Mickaharic

Crones Book of Charms & Spells by Valerie Worth

Witchcraft and the Shamanic Journey by Kenneth Johnson.

If anyone has any of these books and would like to sell it/them, please let me know :)

#31 Eis

Eis

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

Llyr, are you currently reading the Wilby book? I'd like to know what you think of it. The yronwode, Mickharic and Worth books I have. Worth's is more a collection of poetry than anything else, but she was a very good poet and I've gotten a lot of inspiration for my work from it and the "Magical Words" title she also wrote. I'm too much of a hoarder to let my copies go!
Brought back some memories to see the mentions of Huson's book! It's always seemed to me to occupy a sort of inbetween space: not really Wicca, not really Trad Craft, but still an interesting and useful read. Huson, by all accounts is a gentleman and scholar.
I have not read his book Mastering Herbalism, and I'm thinking I probably should grab a copy...

#32 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:17 AM

Llyr, are you currently reading the Wilby book? I'd like to know what you think of it. The yronwode, Mickharic and Worth books I have. Worth's is more a collection of poetry than anything else, but she was a very good poet and I've gotten a lot of inspiration for my work from it and the "Magical Words" title she also wrote. I'm too much of a hoarder to let my copies go!
Brought back some memories to see the mentions of Huson's book! It's always seemed to me to occupy a sort of inbetween space: not really Wicca, not really Trad Craft, but still an interesting and useful read. Huson, by all accounts is a gentleman and scholar.
I have not read his book Mastering Herbalism, and I'm thinking I probably should grab a copy...

Hi Eis, no I haven't got around to it yet. I have a number of books on my list but I will buy the next one once I finish the Huson book. I can aim for the Wilby book next as I am not fussed on what particular order I get through them, so I can let you know then if you like?

#33 Eis

Eis

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

Llyr, I would really appreciate that. If I can return the book review favor just let me know.

#34 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

I will keep that in mind Eis thank you. I want to read them all anyway if I can regardless if they are good or bad. I can still learn something from it :)

Not a problem, Emma Wilby will be next in my firing line!!

#35 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:49 AM

Nera I really like Gordon White too, I havent read his book but I did get into his blog some time ago. He writes A LOT and it's great content, runesoup.com for the curious.

#36 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:41 AM

Nera I really like Gordon White too, I havent read his book but I did get into his blog some time ago. He writes A LOT and it's great content, runesoup.com for the curious.

Gordon fan here too :) 

Star.Ships really changed my outlook on the history of witchcraft and magic (or rather, it filled some voids). He also has a new book out, 'Pieces of Eight' and a great podcast :)

Edited by Aria, 17 October 2016 - 08:42 AM.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#37 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

oooooooh good to know! i haven't been able to do much recreational reading with my undergrad studies, but i'm almost done and can dive back in to my own reading list after that, ha. I'm almost more excited for that than i am to graduate, LOL. Almost.