• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

I noted an interest in having an area for sharing / reviewing books and music. Well, feel free to share here ;)

#2 akinardragonstar

akinardragonstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

What do you all think of Paul Huson? From what I have read about the man is that alot of wiccans do not care for him because he is a bit on the dark side. But being a little dark is ok by me.

#3 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

Never heard of him.

#4 akinardragonstar

akinardragonstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:55 PM

He wrote a book called Mastering Witchcraft, he also wrote another book called Mastering Herbalism.

#5 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

I have both books by Huson. He IS wiccan from what I understand; however, I consider him old-school wiccan (my terminology). I enjoy reading his books.

#6 akinardragonstar

akinardragonstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

You might want to check out Mastering Witchcraft Anjel. It's a pretty good book.

#7 akinardragonstar

akinardragonstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

I don't know about Huson being wiccan, in his book he talks about control and attack spells and spells for vengence. I had an older version of this book and talked about using animal blood and parts in certain spells.

#8 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

That doesn't mean to say he isn't Wiccan. There are different varieties of Wicca out there .. you have the mainstream fluffy feckers then you have the proper initiated covens who wouldn't hesitate to hex. Jon/Baph is one and although I personally do not work in the same way or believe in the same things, he is extremely interesting in giving us inside information about the differences of fluffy mainstream Wicca and the other secret side :)
Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#9 Guest_Dee_*

Guest_Dee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

That doesn't mean to say he isn't Wiccan. There are different varieties of Wicca out there .. you have the mainstream fluffy feckers then you have the proper initiated covens who wouldn't hesitate to hex. Jon/Baph is one and although I personally do not work in the same way or believe in the same things, he is extremely interesting in giving us inside information about the differences of fluffy mainstream Wicca and the other secret side :)

Exactly! I personally want to hear all about the secret stuff (well as much as he'll tell anyway).

#10 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

I've heard oh Huson, though not read any of his books .. some to catch up on I think.

From memory (and I may be wrong ;)), I believe in one of his books he mentions reciting the lords prayer backwards which was pounced on by some critics to call him a Satanist .. I believe the reciting backwards was more an exercise in deconditioning of churchianity. Might be more Luceferian Witchcraft, but I could be wrong.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#11 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

From Huson's website:

"MASTERING WITCHCRAFT was my first book. I wrote it in 1969 as a hands-on guide for the would-be witch or warlock. It was not a "Wiccan" handbook.

But, as various reviewers have noted, I don't pull any punches, so be warned! MASTERING WITCHCRAFT eschews the usual Wiccan ethics, although it does share some common ground with Wiccan subject matter, as I drew from many of the same sources in the Folklore Library at University College London that Gerald Gardner did.

Maybe just because of this eclecticism, MASTERING WITCHCRAFT has enjoyed a wide readership over the past 37 years."

Read more at: http://members.autho...d.net/paulhuson

#12 Paul

Paul

Paul Bearcraft

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

Paul Huson was a student of Alex Sanders who is the founder of Alexandrian Wicca. Paul therefore was wiccan, but I don't know if he remained that way. Hope this helps.
The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places. ~Author Unknown

#13 Guest_Nicia_*

Guest_Nicia_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

I found an first printing of this book years ago, bought it at a thrift store. I never opened it. After reading this thread I dug it out last night from a pile of boxes in my garage. I really haven't read any wicca books and do not know much about wicca beliefs so I couldn't really compare it to anything else. I read the whole thing last night and even though there was somethings that were not for me, I really liked it. The only other book I own that has anything to do with Witchcraft is a book on Curses and Hexes by Sybil Leek. I also found that a a thrift store, it's really old but in perfect shape.
I love reading but when it come to books on Witchcraft I'm so leary. They mostly seem like trendy books only written to make money!
Well thats just my opinion! ;)

#14 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

I found an first printing of this book years ago, bought it at a thrift store. I never opened it. After reading this thread I dug it out last night from a pile of boxes in my garage. I really haven't read any wicca books and do not know much about wicca beliefs so I couldn't really compare it to anything else. I read the whole thing last night and even though there was somethings that were not for me, I really liked it. The only other book I own that has anything to do with Witchcraft is a book on Curses and Hexes by Sybil Leek. I also found that a a thrift store, it's really old but in perfect shape.
I love reading but when it come to books on Witchcraft I'm so leary. They mostly seem like trendy books only written to make money!
Well thats just my opinion! ;)

It does seem like many of the books about "witchcraft" on the market today are there to make money. While I have no problem with the money aspect (every one has to make a living some how), the fact that companies like LLwellyn, publish shit with out fact checking is just plain wrong. For that reason you have little teens who think magick is all "white light, love and beauty".

I'm looking for some decent books with Trad Craft material. I know I'm more than likley going to have to order them online, but that's ok.

#15 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

This was one of my very first books, I was about 13 or 14 when I bought it.

There is indeed a section where he suggests you recite the lord's prayer backwards, while allowing a candle to burn out, in 3 nights succession.
While the reason he cites for doing it is to "de-condition" you and shake off "old bonds", even I found it a little bit anti-christian. I just don't see that as necessary, really, and would it even mean anything to someone other than a christian anyway? I think I did it one night - maybe - I can't quite remember. I know I didn't do the whole thing.

While it's a decent and engaging book overall, it is pretty heavy in ceremonial influences, which lends credibility to the assumption of wiccan influence - and then some!
In another section, he teaches Theban script, but just two pages later he has you inscribe the "witch runes" on each tool before or during consecration, only they appear to be Enochian script which he doesn't explain at all - not the theban script he just presented.
I'd like to know what I'm permanently putting on my athame, y'know? :) He should've at least included an external reference if not an internal one.

He also makes reference to a witch's tool I haven't seen mentioned a lot - a "cinglum", or the witches cord, often 5 to 9 feet long and tied with 9 knots; it's used as a belt for your robe, and for drawing the compass round, among other things.

Anyone else read this? I'd love to hear more comments.

Other books I bought in the same time frame ( 1975, '76 ) were Sarah Lydon Morrison's "The Modern Witches Spellbook", was has been torn apart in reviews, and Ann Grammary's "The Witches Workbook", which I liked a little better. There were a few others I can't recall offhand, except one more - The Magic Power of Witchcraft" by Gavin and Yvonne Frost. I didn't like that format too much at all. Seemed like something you'd see sold on TV. lol

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#16 Runewriter

Runewriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Somebody reccomended" Circles of Power: Ritual Magic in the Western Tradition " by Greer ( ISBN: 1567183131 )to me because I tend to mix different forms of magic. It went out of print in "91 and so far all the used copies are anywhere from 40 to 100 plus dollars. Does anyone know the book and is it really worth that much? On reading the synapsis I got the impression it was mainly Golden Dawn and Quabbalistic in focus? Rune

#17 Hawkgirl23

Hawkgirl23

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've read Mastering Witchcraft and that book really blew me away. Not for the fluffy bunnies out there that's for sure. I'm going to see if I can get the book on Kindle and download it. I'll do a book review once I've gotten it.

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I've read Mastering Witchcraft and that book really blew me away. Not for the fluffy bunnies out there that's for sure. I'm going to see if I can get the book on Kindle and download it. I'll do a book review once I've gotten it.

Mastering Witchcraft

#19 Hawkgirl23

Hawkgirl23

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Mastering Witchcraft

Sorry, wrote this when I was dead tired. Thanks for correcting me, need more sleep AND MORE COFFEE!

#20 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:38 AM