- - - - -

Divination: a gift or learned (or both!)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Desert Sage

Desert Sage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Divination is an innate, natural ability everyone has. Its just part of intuition or what some people call 'coincidence'. Its about learning to relax, allow your mind to wander and accepting what it gives you. If you block an image or thought everytime you have it, then you are never going to develop the ability. As a friend once told me, you have to become like the telephone. None of this 'no I can't say that'. Since when did the telephone stop someone saying to another, 'get fucked'? That doesn't mean you have to give someone the message in exactly the way you get it, you can be 'diplomatic' about it, but don't try to choose what information to pass on.

I was never taught the meanings. In fact, I throw those books away when i get new cards. I let each picture tell me its story. I then interpret each story according to where it comes in the reading and what the other cards around it are telling me. If a card talks about a birth and the other cards around it are going on about a new career, then the 'birth' will mean in that context. Likewise, with death.

If you are not using your brain, do you mind if I feed it to the dragon?

#22 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

As Michele noted in another thread, a "gift" implies something that was given to or bestowed upon you, so in that way my affinity for Tarot is a gift, an inherited gift. On the other hand, if one does not learn to capitalize on natural talents, they will never grow in their Craft.

That being said, I do not personally believe that a person should torture themselves forever, trying to learn a divination technique that is clearly not for them. Give it a try, sure, but if Tarot isn't for you, I see no reason to make it a big deal. There are plenty of effective divination tools and methods.

Just rambling.

#23 CrowMusings

CrowMusings

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Both. I think everyone can do it but not everyone is able to open themselves up past the rote meanings which do work on their own. I think that when a person is able to open up that the readings are taken to another level where more exacting information can be given, and more off the rote meaning flashes you will get. There's also a lot of different ways to divine so find one that works for you. Lenormond is a great one for a new person because the way the cards correspond will give you a very detailed answer so it's quite rewarding, I've also known someone that only uses a pendulum with a cloth and can give amazing readings so it's just a matter of finding your niche.

#24 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

I think we can all learn it some are more naturally gifted at tapping in. I was able to learn it as a child and I think that was a huge help be because you have to be more open and adults are more closed than children to the great beyond. Keep trying and you will get it and like several people have said you might be trying to hard instead have a nice glass of wine before hand heck even better blessed/ceremonial wine or whatever loosens you up a little. Do not get to loose though or well those furry pink dragons attacking your BFF might just be inner turmoil lol

#25 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

bump

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#26 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

I think everyone has the ability, but some are stronger than others. That being said, I think everyone can strengthen or weaken their ability. For me, I knew I had it but it was (and is still) rather weak. So, I turned to something more systematic....tarot. Tarot has been my fool-proof method for many years. I've used others for many reasons, but for big questions I use my cards.

Tarot isn't for everyone. But, it's imperative to find the method that best suits YOU, not the world, just YOU. 

Edited by Ravenshaw, 15 May 2014 - 06:39 PM.

RSKHFMY

#27 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

I would be interested in opinions on whether the ability to divine is a gift or can be learned in an effective manner. I am crap at it, despite trying my very hardest, honest guv, although maybe I simply haven’t found the right method for me yet (have tried runes, ogham, and am still trying with tarot which is something I return to on a regular basis with renewed vigour but little success – maybe life is just too bonkers to concentrate at the moment).
If you have learned some form of divination, how did you learn (through books, one-to-one or online course etc)? What method would you recommend? Despite my current divination crapacity (as opposed to capacity) I seem to have an ongoing urge to find my way with it one day
. :crystal-gazing:

I think most humans can do most things. Pretty much every person alive can draw a picture, but a few people are just more talented than the rest of us and fewer still go on to become master artists.

I learned tarot on my own. I bought my first deck when I was 18 because I thought it would be very cool and rebellious. I also bought "Tarot for Dummies", which I still have. The problem was that the Dummies book did not explain things in a way that I could understand them. When I first started to read tarot, it was like an illiterate person trying to read Shakespeare. Every card was like a paragraph I needed to decipher letter by letter, and even once I understood the individual words I couldn't comprehend how they fit together as a story.

I remained a poor hand at tarot until I started to learn about the deck as a whole, instead of the individual cards. Learning the history of tarot, the Fool's Journey (this is a link to it), how the elements work, general western symbolism, numerology, and how the deck itself is constructed and why the cards are what they are made my abilities in tarot grow by leaps and bounds. Even understanding the author of each deck helps me.

To answer the original question:

• I learned through books, chatting with people on a tarot forum, reading tarot theory and how other people read, and lots and lots of practice. With other systems of divination I learn in the same way.

• I would recommend people experiment with different methods of learning until they find one that clicks for them. For example, that post earlier in the thread how someone couldn't understand tarot until they took a class, or how I couldn't understand tarot until I approached it as a whole.

• I often stunted my own growth because I tried to do what other readers were doing, and not what I needed to do. The quality of a diviner is in their results, not their methods.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#28 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

+1

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#29 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Here's an over-simplification of my approach:

For me, all activities within witchcraft require me to be a conduit of some sort, whether to my shadow self or with something external to myself. But there's a distinction in HOW I'm a conduit: reactive versus proactive.  When I'm crafting a spell, I summon all of my willpower and intent to manipulate and control energies to achieve the desired result (proactive).  When I'm divining, I consciously divorce myself from the need to control, and use my willpower to silence any expectations I have and allow myself to be completely open to all intuitive impressions (reactive).  Also, when divining I've learned it's counter-productive to try to intellectually interpret the information as it's coming in; this may not be the case for everyone, but for me it's the kiss of death to the flow of information.  I also make a concerted effort to not allow feelings of "this makes no sense, I don't understand" pervade my thoughts- clarity and perspective is part of the process and will be revealed sooner than later (patience is another part of the process- staying 'Open' and reactive for a while after the actual divining session has been very fruitful for me).

#30 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

In chat the other day a member mentioned wanting to learn tarot, I think this thread is helpful in that regard.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#31 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Just relax. The Tarot will call to you when it's time. Continue to learn them, but don't worry about being skillfull at them yet. One day your studies will come to life and on that day you will be astonished.

I totally agree with this. I sucked at tarot for a long time, but one day I started getting better at it. One day, it just clicked for me. Another thing to keep in mind...the cards have a specific meaning traditionally, but the question is what do they mean to you?

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#32 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

It's kind of like drawing. You can have the talent to learn it quickly and with ease, or you can have no talent but have hands and still be able to learn it because of that.
Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#33 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

One mistake I've done with divination is either doing a reading when I'm not "ready" (tired, sick, etc), or over thinking it.  I try to clear my mind (I use cards, currently using the Marseilles deck) and follow my intuition.  I take my reading with a grain of salt.  I've always been drawn to divination and have been playing with Tarot on and off since I was 16.  Like others said in this thread, it could be you need to find another form of divination, or maybe even a different deck.  I have three, and they have differing degrees of "power" to me.  I use whichever feels right to me at the time.