- - - - -

Divination: a gift or learned (or both!)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GreenJack_*

Guest_GreenJack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

I would be interested in opinions on whether the ability to divine is a gift or can be learned in an effective manner. I am crap at it, despite trying my very hardest, honest guv, although maybe I simply haven’t found the right method for me yet (have tried runes, ogham, and am still trying with tarot which is something I return to on a regular basis with renewed vigour but little success – maybe life is just too bonkers to concentrate at the moment).
If you have learned some form of divination, how did you learn (through books, one-to-one or online course etc)? What method would you recommend? Despite my current divination crapacity (as opposed to capacity) I seem to have an ongoing urge to find my way with it one day
.:crystal-gazing:

#2 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

Perhaps you just haven't found the right tool yet. Sometimes it can take years to find something that resonates with you, and sometimes you're just never one of those sorts.

I think some people are born with an innate talent for it, but they've got to use it or they lose it, so to speak. My grandmother read cards and she was just flat-out gifted. I read cards as well, but I don't see the talent in me that I saw in her. I still play with different divinatory tools - I'm always of the notion that there may be something else out there that I'll feel attuned to and will be able to use. :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#3 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

Everyone has the ability, some more than others. I strongly believe that you are in fact trying to hard. This can block it out. Also I believe that your higher self will only allow you to open to up to certain things that you are truly ready for.. just because you want to do it, doesnt mean to say you can force it :). Just allow "it" to happen, the more frustrated you get the more it will shy away.
Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#4 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

Just allow "it" to happen, the more frustrated you get the more it will shy away.

I concur. Just "let the juices flow" in whatever manner they may. I can read runes but it took several years for me to be sure of what I was seeing. I can't read cards at all - they just look like goofy pictures to me. Give it time and don't push it.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#5 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

I agree everyone has the ability and I think that you are trying too hard. Just let it come. I play with many types, but a master at none. I'm like KW thinking that there is something else out there that will work better for me.
Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#6 Grimalkin

Grimalkin

The grumpy one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

Just relax. The Tarot will call to you when it's time. Continue to learn them, but don't worry about being skillfull at them yet. One day your studies will come to life and on that day you will be astonished.

Posted Image
Life's only souvenir is the love we have for each other.

#7 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

For me, I just had to keep turnin up and letting go.. Trying is stress producing.

Theres that NLP example where you get someone to hold their arm out to the side and you tell them "to resist" as you push down on it..most people will find this easy to do.. when you repeat the process you say ''Now 'try' to resist" and most people will not be able to resist at all, it zaps them of their strength..

Its like I tend to see spirits with my physical eyes when I am distracted with something creative, like playing the piano or spmething mundane like shaving..

When Im consciously opening up to them I usually only ever 'feel' spirit around me or 'see' them with my minds eye..

#8 Guest_GreenJack_*

Guest_GreenJack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

Thank you, all. Maybe I need to put it all aside for a while and go more on 'idle instinct' when I do pick up the cards again. Words of wisdom much appreciated!

Jack :)

#9 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

I tried for over 20 years to learn tarot (several different decks including oracle cards), I tried to scry, too, and use runes, ogham, bones and stones, pendulums - anything really - but nothing worked, regardless of whether I read a book, attended a course or tried to "keep an open mind".

Then, in 2003, I stumbled across a group of tarot readers who offered a free, 18 week long, online tarot course wherein you are in a group of 10 and have two tutors assigned to provide feedback on your weekly work. The readers were "spot on" in their assessment of my life/course when I had a reading from them, so I figured I'd give the organisation's course a whirl. It worked! :omg: By the 7th week, I could read the cards. I never did finish the course, because something just "clicked" and I could read most decks without using the accompanying LWB.

I stayed with the tarot group for a while and even attended one of their conferences, during which there was a workshop on expanding psychic abilities. I discovered I could do psychometry (though when the exercise started I figured I'd flop) and thanks to that very same workshop leader, I started to scry using a crystal ball that very same day. From then on, everything opened up.

There's a certain state of being required in order for me to divine. I can't explain it, but its not just in the mind, its a physical shift, too. I may have inherited some talent for it (from my mother and her mother), but it never came instinctually - I had to learn to do it. It was learning to read the tarot that sparked everything.

So, keep at it. Perhaps you just haven't found the right teacher show you how to get where you need to be in order to divine?

#10 DeviousMousie

DeviousMousie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

It takes time, like all things. I struggled at first too.

When I was in middle school, so were talking almost 8-10 years ago, I got my first deck. They were these teeny tiny cards that came in one of those little boxes that give you a glimpse of something (you can find them at Boarders and they have various subjects, like belly dancing and the like.) Anyway, I got really good with those, but they were way too difficult to read, so I bought a Raider Waite deck. Those cards scared me half to death.

Every time I used them I would get the Death card and back then I wasn't aware enough to take that as a sign. So I stuffed them away for years and then met some girls who were into that. No one taught me how to use them or read them again, I just started to know and feel what the card was saying and that has continued on as I read for people. I'm much better at reading for others than I am for myself, lol.

My advice is to stick with it! Pay attention to yourself too. You can try to force a meaning to come but a lot of the times it's much easier to look at the card and feel the meaning, if that makes sense. Give it a shot and don't give up.

#11 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

With any form of divination that you read, you have to get very comfortable with each symbol. Runes and Ogham only have 20-25 symbols each, but they are very simple and you have to memorize what they mean in order to read without a guidebook or cheatsheet. Runes are easier to distinguish from one another than ogham. Tarot decks (especially Rider Waite style decks) have a unique picture for each card, and you can look at each picture closely and read without the little white book pretty quickly. Reading playing cards or tarot decks that have simple suite cards requires a lot of memorization--what each number means and what each suite means.

Once you really know your system intellectually--the next step is getting into a trance. Certain incenses can help with that, I like something full scented but mild, like sandalwood or nag champa. Also controlling your breathing and slowing it for a minute can help you too. Once you are in a slightly altered state. Have a sympathetic friend ask you a fairly specific question. One that went really well for me the other night was about a couple arguing over a dog, what would be the result of their argument? My reading revealed that although the argument was a very divisive issue, it was a testing the boundaries discussion and they would not let the argument ruin their relationship, protecting their love was of highest import.

I think reading for friends who are openminded (don't have to be witches, but aren't making fun of your reading) is the best way to get started. Friends who don't mind if you fumble around with the little white book are the best too!

The most important thing is to look at the runes/cards/ogham that are laid out as a group, not just alone. The Celtic Cross is a very good way to start because the layout describes the relationship between the cards. So everything should tie back to the signifier card in someway--if you read for the same friend a few times over several months, it is really interesting if the same few cards show up in each reading. My friend gets pretty annoyed that the two of pentacles keeps showing up as the querant/signifier card!

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#12 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:44 AM

I have to just agree with everyone above. It will just "pop" and you will be surprised. I have luck with pendulems and runes and soon I will g=be trying my hand at crone stones. Tarot, not so good at. I tried, probably too hard, put them away and really haven't looked at them again. BUT last week, I found an Podcast of 9 lessons for tarot which I downloaded and plan to start listening to and try again.

I also have a crystal ball but have not had much luck with and I stay away from mirrors as much as possible as I see too much with them.

Relax and just keep trying and it will come to you!!

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#13 Leachcraft

Leachcraft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:10 AM

I've come to learn that if you go out in search of something specific, you'll never find what you're looking for...Only when you're not trying, will you find what you seek...Sounds kind of corny but it's true, at least for me. If something peaks your interest, casually check it out...Chances are, if it isn't right for you it'll lead to what is.
There is no spoon...

#14 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:40 AM

Everyone has the ability, some more than others. I strongly believe that you are in fact trying to hard. This can block it out. Also I believe that your higher self will only allow you to open to up to certain things that you are truly ready for.. just because you want to do it, doesnt mean to say you can force it :). Just allow "it" to happen, the more frustrated you get the more it will shy away.

Ditto.

#15 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

I think that everyone has certain talents in certain areas, like someone might find they have a lot of luck with pendulum dowsings straight up while others struggle to get an answer, but i also believe that if you keep trying at something you will get better at it - but don't get too frustrated if it takes you a while for some kind of divination to click or pop as others say. Give it a go if it doesn't work, let it be and try again another day :D
I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#16 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

I think some have different gifts IN divination.. but divination IMO is something everyone can do.

I think I said somewhere else that gifts (IMO) are the traits you're born with, most of the time peculiar and misunderstood - you can't ignore them, and if you try you'll wind up getting a right kick in the ass by it.

Probably didn't say it like that, but that's how I'd explain a gift.

#17 Runewriter

Runewriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

There is another way that divination powers can come to light. I was raised mainly by a very religious grandmother. The night she died I was 15. She was in a hospital about 70 miles away. I awoke with a presence in my bedroom. After a few seconds I knew she was there in spirit. It was a very unique experience. Shortly after that night I started having dreams of things that were going to happen. I have found this ability works with runes and tarot, but have not tried anything else. I never have sat down and learned the cards I usually have to look them up to and then translate. It took several years to adjust to the presence of this talent. All I had heard in my younger days that such talents were bad and I would be doomed for using them. Now that I am older I usually find it fascinating when the dreams occur though often troubling because I have friends that I would not consider telling what I had seen even when it concerns them( they would either try to insist on an exorcism or send the boys with the white jackets and nets to round me up). The only thing I have ever figured out is that her visit opened a door somewhere out there. A gift? Maybe, time tells all.

#18 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

I'd always been drawn to the tarot - I loved the images and the hidden meanings... and desperately wanted to learn how to 'read' the cards. So, I bought cards, bought books - and literally decided 'it was time'.

It didn't work. Somehow I could never get round to looking at them.. or feel particularly connected with them.

A few years ago I did an online tarot course because it 'felt' more right than it had before - however, I never managed to get work done and it felt like a chore. I'd try so hard to remember meanings etc and puzzled as to why on earth I couldn't remember the simplest things about certain cards... it was like I was shut out from knowing. So. I just stopped. Stopped worrying/bothering/questioning.

Then, suddenly - out of the blue.. I couldn't get the cards out of my head.. it was like I was being 'called'.... information came effortlessly and felt like all the things I'd absorbed and couldn't access, 'wanted' to come to the forefront of my mind.

Now, I feel differently... the cards don't feel like a struggle... I feel 'at one' with my cards.. and want to read them.

I think Sandy is right.. you can try too hard. For me it was like chasing something that just ran ahead of my reach.

I think your mind and unconscious know when they're ready.

Amber xxx

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

#19 rosielj

rosielj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

I agree with everyone! I think it is something you can learn when the time is right.
I started doing it (in my own little way) as a very young child. If I wanted an answer to something I would get a book,close my eyes really tight, think of a number, turn to that numbered page in the book, then think of another number and scroll down to that particular line and read what it said. Oddly enough I often got an answer that made sense to me at the time!

I was really into my Tarot cards as I got older, and also runes and the I Ching.
These days I tend to just use a normal pack of playing cards if and when I feel I need to, and also the pendulum.
There were many years when I used no form of divination at all.

#20 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

I find images work for me, so tarot and scrying work well ... but I have tried to use runes and ogham, and they dont seem to work at all. (perhaps because of my bad memory!!)

Additionally though, I find with runes and ogham that there is only ever one answer available (i.e. rune X means Y). This could be because I am inexperienced with runes though - perhaps someone who has worked with them for many years can use them as I use tarot; as a trigger for intuition?

I learnt tarot from the lady who taught me the craft; she taught the tarot with the 'Fools Journey' has anyone else used this? Its a good way to learn the cards!

:coffee:

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary