Favorite Chilhood Tales

rosielj

The Pied Piper thread got me thinking about what my favorite Fairy tales, Legends, or book characters were when I was a very young child.

I think there were two that appealed most to me, the first being "The Snow Queen" I was given the book one Xmas and it had the most amazing illustrations which really fired my imagination.I never saw her as a scary person and when it snowed I used to go out to play hoping she would come along and take me off to her Ice Palace!!!

The other one that affected me was the tale of Gelert the dog, (a traditional Welsh tale)

Gelert was the favorite and most faithful hound of Prince Llewelyn.One day the Prince went hunting in the forest and left Gelert with his new born baby Son and heir,who was asleep in his crib. While he was out hunting a wolf came into the cottage and tried to attack the baby so Gelert immediately fought and killed the wolf. In the frenzy the crib overturned and the baby fell out.

On Llewelyn's return Gelert ran happily to greet his master.Llewelyn saw the dog was covered in blood, took a look at the empty crib, and immediately thought his dog had killed his baby. He drew his sword and plunged it into the heart of his faithful dog. Just as the dog let out his final howl of pain Llewelyn heard a muffled cry,he looked down and saw his baby on the floor safely hidden under a blanket. Next to him was the body of the huge wolf Gelert had killed. It was said that Prince Llewelyn never smiled again having realized what he'd done.

There is a town in North Wales called BeddGelert (Gelert's grave) where you can find the grave of Gelert.

When I first got told that tale in school I couldn't stop crying and the teacher had to send me out of the classroom!

Anyway I was wondering what are your most memorable/favorite tales from early childhood? Which characters did you like most in books you read when you were little? Which didn't you like? Which books read or tales told to you then do you still remember vividly?

Guest Landieth
The Pied Piper thread got me thinking about what my favorite Fairy tales, Legends, or book characters were when I was a very young child.

I think there were two that appealed most to me, the first being "The Snow Queen" I was given the book one Xmas and it had the most amazing illustrations which really fired my imagination.I never saw her as a scary person and when it snowed I used to go out to play hoping she would come along and take me off to her Ice Palace!!!

The other one that affected me was the tale of Gelert the dog, (a traditional Welsh tale)

Gelert was the favorite and most faithful hound of Prince Llewelyn.One day the Prince went hunting in the forest and left Gelert with his new born baby Son and heir,who was asleep in his crib. While he was out hunting a wolf came into the cottage and tried to attack the baby so Gelert immediately fought and killed the wolf. In the frenzy the crib overturned and the baby fell out.

On Llewelyn's return Gelert ran happily to greet his master.Llewelyn saw the dog was covered in blood, took a look at the empty crib, and immediately thought his dog had killed his baby. He drew his sword and plunged it into the heart of his faithful dog. Just as the dog let out his final howl of pain Llewelyn heard a muffled cry,he looked down and saw his baby on the floor safely hidden under a blanket. Next to him was the body of the huge wolf Gelert had killed. It was said that Prince Llewelyn never smiled again having realized what he'd done.

There is a town in North Wales called BeddGelert (Gelert's grave) where you can find the grave of Gelert.

When I first got told that tale in school I couldn't stop crying and the teacher had to send me out of the classroom!

Anyway I was wondering what are your most memorable/favorite tales from early childhood? Which characters did you like most in books you read when you were little? Which didn't you like? Which books read or tales told to you then do you still remember vividly?

I remember my dad telling me and my cousins the story of the Wokalark (which is from a Don Knots movie LOL). He used to warn us not to stray too far at night because, when you least expect it..

THE WOKALARK WILL SUCK YOUR BRAINS OUT!!!

LOL! He'd yell out the last bit all in our faces and we'd always run away screaming. :) He also used to tell me the story of the Chicken Foot.. I don't know if that's from anything or if he made it up but he would go to tuck me in bed when I was really little and tell me 'Now Nathan, if ever you hear a scratch scratch scartch coming from under the floor or your bed, don't open your eyes..

OR THE CHICKEN FOOT WILL GET YOU!!

LOL! :D It was more elaborate than that though. That was only the last bit of the story.

My favourite story is from a big, gold bound book of fairy tales my parent bought me and its called "The Little Goose Girl". Its a subtley magical tale with poetic insets and a violent end, which I enjoyed, even as a child. There's a modern day version of it, which I have on my book shelves and I can't wait to read it.

Others weren't as stand out, but I liked Rumpelstiltzkin, he was so full of mischief.

A few of my favorite were Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Rumplestilzkin, and Rapunzel. I was fiercly protective of them, especially after I was de-Disney-fied on at least three of those stories.

My new favorite though is the Japanese story of Hachiko. It's about a dog who, everyday, would walk with his owner to the train station and see him off, then in the evening he would walk there and wait for him to get off the train. One day the owner never got off the train and the dog waited and waited for him to come home. This dog waited for a few months before eventually he died there. It's a great tale about loyalty and it warms my heart.

Guest Landieth
Too bad that witch never got to eat though. Hahahaha!

LOL!!! I know!! The poor girl got shoved in the oven.. damn kids.

ROFL! Reminds me of The Adams Family movie when Morticia is reading to the little kids. OMG I have to go watch that.

She goes, 'Now, children, can you imagine what THAT feels like?' and they all start crying. Bwhahahah!!

:lolol:

^ i love that part in the movie and yeah witches get a bum wrap!!

I love a lot of Hans Christian Anderson's tales - they weren't all fluffy like Disney makes now - like the Little Mermaid, when she got her legs she constantly felt like she was walking on knives and she was supposed to kill the prince but she couldn't and committed suicide - but she was reborn of the foam of the ocean (aphrodite similiarities anyone??) or the little match girl, it's not till the end that you realise that the poor thing has passed from hypothermia but i like that about the tales - They have realism :D

It was after my time, but one of my favourites is "Horton Hears A Who" for the way it introduces children to worlds within worlds. I also love "Knots On A Counting Rope" which is about love enduring forever and I used to read it to my son.

I don't remember any fairytales from my childhood, although I know my mum read me many. Probably nursery rhymes as she loves them and knows most (Eurpoean) ones by heart.

Gotta be the Ginormous turnip {and the little old man pulled and the little old woman pulled and the dog pulled and the cat pulled yadda yadda you get the theme} followed by where the wild things are.

Shock haired peter has given me a life long phobia of hair dressers , theres an illustration in it where a man creeps up behind the little boy with a huge pair of scissors to cut his head off.

Fairy tale wise I always liked rupunzel, the little mermaid {the original not the sicky making disney puhh puhh yuck} and the arabian nights !! {still love that one when I've got a cold }:hearts:

My mum had a really old book of Hans Christian Anderson's tales.. I remember loving the artwork as much as the tales. I also loved Hansel and Gretel - the idea of a house made of gingerbread and sweeties made my head run riot! I still imagine them in the cage, poking out a chicken bone to show that they weren't getting any fatter.

I do still really love Little Red Riding Hood. I researched it for college and the history is fascinating.

Has anyone read any of Angela Carter's fairytales or the Bloody Chamber.. they are brilliant (although not for kids!):howl-moon:

BTW apologies, for being obsessed right now with these icons... sorry for putting them in every single post I write.. :vhappywitch: but I just can't help it. LOL

In grade school we watched an animated movie from the 70's (because that's when I was in grade school) of The Littlest Mermaid on PBS, which was true to the original HCA version. I remember bawling at the end when she gave her life rather than commit murder, and thought it was the most incredible story I'd ever heard.

When the Disney version was announced, I was so excited to see it all done up on the big screen -- followed by extreme disappointment at how they butchered the tale to give it a super saccharine happy ending that completely negates the original moral of the story! And a little part of me died.

Edited by Leigh
fixed the initials

Guest Landieth
In grade school we watched an animated movie from the 70's (because that's when I was in grade school) of The Littlest Mermaid on PBS, which was true to the original HSA version. I remember bawling at the end when she gave her life rather than commit murder, and thought it was the most incredible story I'd ever heard.

When the Disney version was announced, I was so excited to see it all done up on the big screen -- followed by extreme disappointment at how they butchered the tale to give it a super saccharine happy ending that completely negates the original moral of the story! And a little part of me died.

WHat?!!! :omg: :googles:

• 3 weeks later...

I never had a favorite tale or story. Guess I was too practical and would question everything to the point of pissing everyone off. I ended up reading alot of bios and true stories. Now, I include more fiction.

But if I really had to pick one, it would be..........Snow White ! :biggrin2:

I came real close to getting kicked out of confirmation class! The Pastor told my mum to either make me keep my mouth shut or not to bring me again. Neither happened. But hey, my mum was a very outspoken woman for the time and made sure us girls spoke our minds as well. No holding us back!!!! Womans Lib ya know!! :wasntme:

I had a teacher read 'The Hobbit' to us, which became a favourite, when I was about 10.

I also had "Rupert and the Fire Dragon" on record, which I loved.

And my head was always stuck in an Enid Blyton. Especially her "Faraway Tree" and "Wishing Chair" series.

Not the norm, I know, but hey, nothing about me is.

Edited by Desert Sage
syntax

Guest Landieth
You have to be more specific in your ...question?

I was looking up that version of The Little Mermaid! That would have made the movie so much better. Can't find it on google though. =/

I was looking up that version of The Little Mermaid! That would have made the movie so much better. Can't find it on google though. =/

I've been looking for it for years and years. If you do find it, let me know. I desperately want a copy.

I had a teacher read 'The Hobbit' to us, which became a favourite, when I was about 10.

I also had "Rupert and the Fire Dragon" on record, which I loved.

And my head was always stuck in an Enid Blyton. Especially her "Faraway Tree" and "Wishing Chair" series.

Not the norm, I know, but hey, nothing about me is.

I always begged my dad to read me the hobbit at bed time but he wouldn't because he said it was too long!! and i LOVE Enid Blyton's faraway and wishing chair series!!! my nan would read them to me over and over and over again :D

I was thinking about this thread over the weekend and suddenly realized that as a kid my mum gave me a book about Ruppert. It was about a bear and his adventures. I remeber that her sister sent the books over from England along with a Ruppert stuffed bear. Am I remembering that this was from the UK? Kinda reminded me of Winnie the Pooh later with my kids.

:dancing: